AVS Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 6234 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did a test run tonight from the Apple TV tonight through the old av unit and no lip sync issues. Let's hope all the components work so well. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 5030 doesn't have modes for an anamorphic lens like the 6030, if you use a lens you need the 6030 or a video processor for the 5030. You can manually zoom and adjust the lens shift with the 5030, it is a bit of a pain but can be done or left in that position if most viewing is 2.35:1.

If you are doing 2.35 and use an anamorphic lens the curved screen is the way to go, if you use the zoom method a flat screen is fine. I prefer using an anamorphic lens and curved screen whenever possible but it is more expensive.
I actually have a 6030 and intend to buy an anamorphic lens at some point. However, my screen is 2.35:1, so for the time being I zoom out when watching 2.40 and 2.35 movies. I love the wide screen being filled for Cinemascope. For 2.20, 2.0, 1.85, 1.79 and 1.33 films, I use lightweight home-made black velvet side-masking panels. I like to create the cinema experience as accurately as possible. A bit pedantic, but that's me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm practically a deal closed with an Epson 5030. One last question concerns the new projectors Epson 3500 and 3600. I could see that they greatly improve the quality of color and image sharpness. This all watched through photos, videos and reports on the Internet.

My question: Still worth the price difference from 3500 to 5030? Someone who has the 5030, has seen the Epson 3500 with your own eyes?

The investment is high, so the question. Here in Brazil the cost is much higher for these products, usually reaching twice the value in US dollars of the price of the Amazon, for example. So it is usual to have more questions than usual ...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have been a happy owner of the 5030 for a few months now

I have a issue I've noticed and I hope I don't have a major problem

I haven't really watched all that dark of movies but I have watched both the co hourlong and knowing and in certain scenes if a person moves on the screen it's like the outline around the person is distorted with what I call a halo blur.

It only lasts a second but noticed it in several spots in both movies
It's not always in fast motion scenes . It's just a little blurred fuzzy outline. Or if someone's face moves against a dark background it's like they leave a smudge of their face behind

It's weird

Does anyone know what I'm talking about

My settings are in cinema mode and I use the iris and I have super resolution on 4. As well as frame interpolation on high

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been a happy owner of the 5030 for a few months now

I have a issue I've noticed and I hope I don't have a major problem

I haven't really watched all that dark of movies but I have watched both the co hourlong and knowing and in certain scenes if a person moves on the screen it's like the outline around the person is distorted with what I call a halo blur.

It only lasts a second but noticed it in several spots in both movies
It's not always in fast motion scenes . It's just a little blurred fuzzy outline. Or if someone's face moves against a dark background it's like they leave a smudge of their face behind

It's weird

Does anyone know what I'm talking about

My settings are in cinema mode and I use the iris and I have super resolution on 4. As well as frame interpolation on high
I would recommend putting super resolution at 2 and seeing if that helps. I also much prefer the FI on low for movies, don't think it's causing what you are describing, but I think the motion looks better. I'll only put it on high sometimes for sports.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'll give that a try

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I find Frame Interpolation on Low works really well. Anything higher looks artificial and "soap-opera"-ish.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks guys. It's good now. I got it on low. I like the settin on high in certain movies. For example the Star Wars hips don't blur as bad ect. I can settle in the middle tho lol

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thanks guys. It's good now. I got it on low. I like the settin on high in certain movies. For example the Star Wars hips don't blur as bad ect. I can settle in the middle tho lol

Yeah, I hate it when hips blur :)

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
703 Posts
Still no way to keep fan noise down whe ceiling mounted, especially in 3D. I am very close to selling mine because of this, I find it very annoying so thinking to switch to Sony hw40. Smart thing to do?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am not saying it is no good, just for me the pro's of the Sony outweigh the cons of the Epson. Will really miss the Epson but it is what it is. If onyl someone can confirm the qsony is indeed very quiet ceiling mounted

·
Registered
28,798 Posts
I am not saying it is no good, just for me the pro's of the Sony outweigh the cons of the Epson. Will really miss the Epson but it is what it is. If onyl someone can confirm the qsony is indeed very quiet ceiling mounted
The Sony is very quiet, no matter how it is mounted. 40's in stock. Call us if we can help you. 5030's also in stock. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

Just got my new 5030UBe and love it. I do have what is probably a simple question for anyone knowledgeable about this unit:

How can I force a 16:9 format from something that wants to project 2.35:1? The source comes from an HDMI connection from a receiver.

I have some old DVD's that autoplay in 16:9, but Netflix comes out in 2:35:1. I don't have a masking system, thus the question.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get an anamorphic lens, like I did. No more changing aspect ratios for me. I couldn't be happier.:)
My Oppo does the scaling so it isnt out of the question. What lens did you get and mount? Is it fairly easy to engage and disengage? I've always heard you want to avoid scaling pixes if you can as it can degrade your PQ (probably an oversimplification).

Would like to hear the details of your experience. Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got one. Looks nice but I was unpleasantly surprised to clearly see pixel grid. 165" screen from about 14 ft away. Mostly visible on light surfaces. Some scenes are ok, but some really "pop". Are there any settings that can help reduce this? Maybe play with convergence to reduce the bluish tint to the lines between pixels? Or is this screen too big for any projector at this distance or should I maybe return it and get Sony VPL40 or Panasonic 8000, are they any better at handling SDE on big screens?

I don't want to reduce the image, and can't sit any further. Would like to enjoy the huge screen in full.

4881 - 4900 of 6234 Posts