AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3209 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
The link listed a Panamorph Anamorphic lens kit, wonder if that will be a kit designed for this specific projector or just use the same panamorph lens addons you can get today.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I think that with a 1080p projector, there is no real need for anamorphic lens.

Anamorphic lens give you two benefits:

1. 25% More brightness.

2. Ability to do CIH.

For people who don't need the extra brightness, you can just use 1446x817 of the panel's resolution (more than 720p!), in order to present 16:9 material, and hence you get CIH.

You can't do that with a 720p projector, because then 16:9 material uses 964x544 of the panel's resolution, which isn't even 720p.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1080p at these prices is very tempting. What are the main competitors at this price point - the Panasonic AE-2000 and the Optoma HD-80?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was more curious if they have made a kit specifically for this projector or if that was just a marketing ploy since most projectors have a "universal kit" made by panamorph (or other lens maker).

I wasn't trying to compare other ways of doing it (or best ways), just thought it was interesting that it was listed as an "official" option from Epson (or seemed listed that way).

It looks like 1080p is going to start the heavy hitting on the sub 3k market...exciting times for Q4 and 2008! Can't wait to see how some of the other big players responses.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like the current model Home 1080 is MSRP for 2999 and it traditionally sells just a few hundred below there before any rebates, which is what you would traditionally be looking at for the first few months of it hitting the streets.

Epson seems to keep their MSRP closer to street prices than alot of other companies.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I like how they opt HQV video processor as Optional to keep the unit itself cheaper for those already got better or good outboard scaler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Will it take in and display 1080p/24 ?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
I wonder how much this price on the origonal Epson 1080 will drop? 1080p for 2k anyone?

The original Epson has only 1000:1 native contrast. I think it will be well worth it to pay extra several hunderd bucks and get a DLP-quality native contrast... It's unbelievable that the first LCD to allow such high native contrast, is priced so competitevly. Together with the excellent Optoma HD80, we now have excellent DLP and LCD 1080p units, well below $3000 USD.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Man, the follow up to the Sony Pearl better watch out! This pj is competing head on with it. Sony better get their price right.

It's amazing how quickly technology advances AND gets cheaper!

·
Registered
8,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 /forum/post/11522674

Man, the follow up to the Sony Pearl better watch out! This pj is competing head on with it. Sony better get their price right.

It's amazing how quickly technology advances AND gets cheaper!

...but I'd take an Epson over a Sony any day of the week. If I was given a Sony for free, I'd immediately sell it to get the Epson, if the Epson 400 I bought on the rebate deal this summer is any indication of how the 1080 UB will perform...

...and I had the scoop on the 1080p UB with my thread, but I thought it too pretentious to call it "official"

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush /forum/post/11521546

I think it will be well worth it to pay extra several hunderd bucks and get a DLP-quality native contrast...

I have always wondered why dlp's have never used a DYNAMIC (not manual) iris. Dlp's haven't made much progress in a while overall. Not sure what they're waiting for. I wonder what the future of single chip dlp will be like.

Oh well, with pj's like this, who needs dlp!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wonder if this projector will have the same issue as the one found here that everyone seems to be complaining about....... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893081 . i sure hope not. I have just today started looking at projectors for myself. I was kinda stuck in rear projection mode for a few years. Using a projector like this one would be considered an upgrade over a RP set correct? The set I was thinking of replacing my own was the Sony 70XBR5. I know this is a little off topic, sorry.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
I wonder if this projector will have the same issue as the one found here that everyone seems to be complaining about....... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893081 . i sure hope not.

Cine4home said the following about this (I think he is saying this issue is now resolved with the Powerlite UB):

"Besides the user can now select signal with fed 1080/24p whether he the film ruckelfrei with 2:2 Pulldown in 48Hz and/or 96Hz on the canvas wants to enjoy, or after conventional 3:2 Pulldown in 60Hz."

(this is a bablefish translation from German).

1 - 20 of 3209 Posts