AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 2547 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/16603092

Shows how far players have come. Willie I just applied the top 3 to my Panasonic BD30 and got these times-

1- 42s

2- 57s

3- 1m51s

From power off/standby to tray ejecting out takes- 25s Vs Oppo 4s

Yes they have come a long way. I had the Sony BDP-S1 and I'm sure that machine will take 2-3x longer. Anyone still have that machine to do some time test?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of the JVC's internal parts.? I have a german magazine with a test of the NAD T587 with pictures of its guts. That way i could see if they are "related" in any way

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The JVC blu-ray player is very tempting to get, but I'm not sure if I should exchange my 320 (very happy with it) for it?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16606999

The JVC blu-ray player is very tempting to get, but I'm not sure if I should exchange my 320 (very happy with it) for it?

Depends upon what you want it for. If speed is it, I'd switch. Me personally I'm still debating, but also looking for better audio quality, so me, I'd follow Winston 9332's advide and keep the 320.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16606999

kage - are you using it with a home theatre setup? Does it have hdmi inputs? How often do you listen to cds in this player? How important are load times to you? Do you like to do a lot of tweaking via the player? Is your player in a dark room and near the tv where bright blue lights would be distracting?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16607536

kage - are you using it with a home theatre setup? Does it have hdmi inputs? How often do you listen to cds in this player? How important are load times to you? Do you like to do a lot of tweaking via the player? Is your player in a dark room and near the tv where bright blue lights would be distracting?

I have my 320 hooked up to my setup. My current home theater setup is a 3.1 channel setup in my bedroom. TV is 3 year old high end 37 inch Sharp Aquos that can accept YCbCr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 signals and can also accept RGB signals. My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V1800. I have the receiver to pass the video to my tv and decode the movie audio. I use the analog cd input with pure direct mode on to playback music cds. As for my current tv, I will be replacing it end of this month or early next month to a 46 inch LCD and I don't want plasma, because of the very high electricity rates in the area I live in.

Lighting conditions, I turn off the main lights in the bedroom and use two table lamps with a 3 way light bulb and use the lowest setting.

For loading times, not too long or way too fast. If loading times are fast, I would think that the blu-ray drive would not last long and also data might be skipped. I prefer speed with very good analog dacs for audio cd playback. excellent pq for both blu-ray and dvds, and that has very good build quality with a ethernet port. I tried out the Oppo blu-ray player before and returned it, because it was a waste of money for me due to that I wouldn't use about 90% of the features.

Here is the hard part:

JVC = Fast Loading, very good dvd playback, excellent blu-ray playback.

320 = Very good build quality, very good analog dacs, excellent blu-ray and very good dvd playback.

Both players seem to fit my criteria in one way or another.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16607976

I have my 320 hooked up to my setup. My current home theater setup is a 3.1 channel setup in my bedroom. TV is 3 year old high end 37 inch Sharp Aquos that can accept YCbCr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 signals and can also accept RGB signals. My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V1800. I have the receiver to pass the video to my tv and decode the movie audio. I use the analog cd input with pure direct mode on to playback music cds. As for my current tv, I will be replacing it end of this month or early next month to a 46 inch LCD and I don't want plasma, because of the very high electricity rates in the area I live in.

Lighting conditions, I turn off the main lights in the bedroom and use two table lamps with a 3 way light bulb and use the lowest setting.

For loading times, not too long or way too fast. If loading times are fast, I would think that the blu-ray drive would not last long and also data might be skipped. I prefer speed with very good analog dacs for audio cd playback. excellent pq for both blu-ray and dvds, and that has very good build quality with a ethernet port. I tried out the Oppo blu-ray player before and returned it, because it was a waste of money for me due to that I wouldn't use about 90% of the features.

Here is the hard part:

JVC = Fast Loading, very good dvd playback, excellent blu-ray playback.

320 = Very good build quality, very good analog dacs, excellent blu-ray and very good dvd playback.

Both players seem to fit my criteria in one way or another.

Only thing the JVC brings to the table for you is faster load times at a lsightly lower cost. The 320 brings better tweaking, build quality and cd playback. Don't know what you paid for your 320, but they're going for a little over $300 now, most JVC's are running $250. I do feel like the pioneer might last longer and has already gotten firmware updates. The JVC has not gotten any nad JVC has been a bit cryptic on how and when these updates will occur.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16608183

Only thing the JVC brings to the table for you is faster load times at a lsightly lower cost. The 320 brings better tweaking, build quality and cd playback. Don't know what you paid for your 320, but they're going for a little over $300 now, most JVC's are running $250. I do feel like the pioneer might last longer and has already gotten firmware updates. The JVC has not gotten any nad JVC has been a bit cryptic on how and when these updates will occur.

I paid around $335 for my 320. I'm currently leaning towards keeping the 320. For the extra $80 to $85 from the current price range on the JVC to the price that I paid for the Pioneer 320, I have better build quality, better analog audio, picture adjustments, better blu-ray pq, and better dvd upscaling. The only downside on the 320 is the loading time. The downsides on the JVC for me that I read are: non-dimming bright blue led lights, not good analog audio dacs, and future firmware support.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16608303

I paid around $335 for my 320. I'm currently leaning towards keeping the 320. For the extra $80 to $85 from the current price range on the JVC to the price that I paid for the Pioneer 320, I have better build quality, better analog audio, picture adjustments, better blu-ray pq, and better dvd upscaling. The only downside on the 320 is the loading time. The downsides on the JVC for me that I read are: non-dimming bright blue led lights, not good analog audio dacs, and future firmware support.

The pioneer is a better built player even if the JVC is better engineered in respects of software. I think you will lament the lack of tweaking on the JVC. Take for examble the colorspace menu - on the JVC you have two choices ypbr or RGB. on the pioneer you have five choices not including auto iirc. The blue lights are ridiculous and very distracting if you have a dark room.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is an interesting discussion. The fact that the JVC has not yet received any software updates is being seen by some people as a negative. My thoughts are that the JVC is so well designed that no updates are yet necessary, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16608183

I don't think the Pioneer has MKV file playback from regular dvd-r or external usb file playback.This is one of the major features of the JVC.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't mean anything by this, but why have a firmware update for no reason? My JVC has worked great on any blu ray or sd dvd I have played. Maybe one for the blue lights, but I doubt it can be done. A little black tape works wonders though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like a great blu-ray player....I think I will nab one to try it out....As far as a firmware update.....I guess some people arent happy unless they can complain about something needing to be fixed. Dont know about anyone else...but I think it is nice to have a player that works well enough out of the box that it doesnt need fixing..

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
If loading times are fast, I would think that the blu-ray drive would not last long and also data might be skipped

I don't for see any data or drive problems with either the Oppo or JVC, based on the fact that they load at a speed in which all the other players should be at. I bet there will be even faster players by next year.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My sister and brother in-law are looking at purchasing their first bluray player. They just want a really good entry level player and I'd recommended them to try out the JVC over the other brands within the same price range, since they do not want any video streaming, audio streaming, or picture adjustments. They really like my Pioneer 320 and I think that the JVC is a perfect player for them.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16612082

My sister and brother in-law are looking at purchasing their first bluray player. They just want a really good entry level player and I'd recommended them to try out the JVC over the other brands within the same price range, since they do not want any video streaming, audio streaming, or picture adjustments. They really like my Pioneer 320 and I think that the JVC is a perfect player for them.

definitely agree provided they are not trying to hook it up to an old receiver. the jvc is fast, easy to use, and offers great PQ for its price range. For $250, I would be hard pressed to find anything nearly as fast and as good an upscaler. They will love it.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16617119

is it disabled on BD Playback?

I tried zoom on a blu-ray disc the other night and it seemed to work - although the range was pretty limited.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 /forum/post/16619070

I tried zoom on a blu-ray disc the other night and it seemed to work - although the range was pretty limited.

i keep getting the red no circle on BD discs, but not on dvds. both are outputting 24fps (or i believe since there is no way to display hertz).

Anyone else able to zoom on a BD?

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
After reading about the features of the LG BD370 and the layout, I do think it is closely related to the JVC. This explains the very LG GUI. Anyone have an LG to compare load and startup times? Once again, LG and NAD also share IR codes, but LG codes do not work on the JVC...

301 - 320 of 2547 Posts