AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 537 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Some good news from David Mackenzie. It appears this model isn't as badly afflicted with non-defeatable NR as the curved ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949
I know the flat panel doesn't get quite the attention that the curved one draws, but have you manged to test the Gallery Flat OLED and confirmed that this was the case on that model?

"Correct, although the NR on that model was a mild temporal filter rather than a spatial one. In other words it didn't reduce detail in static images, only motion. So you could see full detail if you paused the disc player. It could also be bypassed in the 60hz PC mode (assuming you wanted to watch movies with 2:3 pulldown judder instead)." -- David Mackenzie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found another site where there is a lively EA880 thread going. There seem to be mostly Europeans there, with lots of gamers present. Here is the URL:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-55ea880v-owners-thread.1904369/

I recommend that you read the entire thread for an answer to your question, but I think I recall most saying lag is good with this TV.
On another subject, I also saw there, a full frontal image view of the Wall Mount, which I downloaded and will attach for perusal here. As everyone can see, this is quite a nice wall mount which affords mounting the bare TV alone on the wall. This should please those who can't abide the frame/speaker.
As I think about all of this, it really amounts to a nice package of items:

-Flat 55" OLED TV; Not Curved
-Large Picture frame mount with good speakers for great WAF
-Robust independent wall mount bracket.
-Affords accurate calibration

With all of this, I can hardly wait to get my hands on one of these TVs!
It is a MONSTER mount!!! Just that thing must cost about $200 to $300!!! :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1400497729

"We managed to get it down to 50-60 ms in the Game Mode, which is the same level as the curved TV"

Well who knows if they disabled Everything, so there is a chance of even less lag.
I had the 55EA9700 for a while, I did switch to PC mode and disable everything possible, but the input lag was still unacceptable for me. I don't have a lag testing device, so can't give an exact number. Moving the mouse cursor felt a bit sluggish compared to a monitor.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
For input lag, DisplayLag.com (the go-to place for this kind of thing) states that the 55EA9800 (the only OLED they've tested) has 55ms of total input lag, which only gives it a rating of "Okay".

Set the "Screen" drop-down to '3D OLED' and you can see the results:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

It really does make me question what the heck kind of processing they could be doing on an OLED to make the input lag that bad. I mean, for a lossless video source like a PC or game console the image should look great even with the TV working just as a "dumb monitor" and doing absolutely no post-processing, this is OLED after all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
I agree! It's pretty slick. The TV looks awesome, too, with or without the frame. Though really decorative with the included frame.
BTW, I placed my order today for one of these TV's!
I'm excited for you! We'll look forward to your impressions. Now that I'm settling into it, I think I may be becoming even more enamored with it. I think I like it even better now that the starry-eyed hyper-finicky phase is over, and I can just soak in the richness of my actual video content, but still with constant reminders of how amazing it looks.

All of this and I haven't taken the step of doing a full calibration on it, though I've fussed with settings a lot to finally settle on the settings I have now. I think the OCD my get the best of me if I get my own calibration equipment with all of the colorimeters and so forth, so I'm actually humoring the idea of hiring a professional ISF calibrator to do it. It doesn't seem like people opt to do that so much. Does anyone have any feelings one way or the other about ISF or THX certified calibrators doing it?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm excited for you! We'll look forward to your impressions. Now that I'm settling into it, I think I may be becoming even more enamored with it. I think I like it even better now that the starry-eyed hyper-finicky phase is over, and I can just soak in the richness of my actual video content, but still with constant reminders of how amazing it looks.

All of this and I haven't taken the step of doing a full calibration on it, though I've fussed with settings a lot to finally settle on the settings I have now. I think the OCD my get the best of me if I get my own calibration equipment with all of the colorimeters and so forth, so I'm actually humoring the idea of hiring a professional ISF calibrator to do it. It doesn't seem like people opt to do that so much. Does anyone have any feelings one way or the other about ISF or THX certified calibrators doing it?
If you have never done a calibration before, I strongly recommend a professional calibration to start. I have found in the past, that even with appropriate tools it's hard to gain confidence in your own tweaks initially. This is particularly true with, let us say, none standard displays.
To clarify, let me describe two totally opposite experiences I've had with a couple of displays in the past. I own a Laservue A1 which has an extremely wide Gamut, way beyond the REC709 etc. I found that I needed a professional calibration for that one initially. The good news is that I've found that the calibration did not drift on account of its solid state laser sources.
On the other hand, I have a reference level HP LP2480Z which came with its own puck and software to afford very easy and accurate calibration. I calibrate that one myself.
With this new OLED TV, I am leaning more towards a professional calibration, initially.

·
Registered
870 Posts
OK, so I've been doing some virtual playing around with my layout. For this, I've downloaded an image of the framed TV from the internet. Then taken a couple of 'straight on' pictures of things in my living room. Next I've done some proper scaling of those images for proper copy and paste in Photoshop. What I'm trying to do here is to get a preview of how this TV will look on my living Room wall. This was kind of a fun project as the attached images will suggest: These represent crude PS results, still, I've tried to capture the scale of the TV on my wall and to convey the mirror flipped TV image. The TV is virtual and I have cropped away the image of myself taking that photo of the mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Possible Calibration Anomaly

I don't have an 8800 on hand to try this but I wanted to report what happened on my other two LG OLED sets in case the issue affects you folks too.

Mr. Bob from Image Perfection spent some time at my place calibrating both my LG 9800 & 9300 and in the process we discovered a very interesting issue.

We were working with getting the proper Gray Scale and using his ISF Optical Comparator along with an Accupel HDG 3000 HD Pattern Generator. The pattern we were using had 11 bars from 0% to 100% inclusive.

On the 9800 whenever we adjusted a bar to the proper shade and exited the menu system, whatever change we made was showing on the next IRE percent up!

Easiest way to check this for yourself is adjust red, blue or green plus or minus 50 to make an easily observable change and then exit the menu. You will see the adjustment you made jump to the next highest level.

It did this on both the 9800 and the 9300. It also did it on the 9300 both on the previous software and the latest updated software.

·
Registered
870 Posts
royboy, is this something that you think might be corrected with a firmware upgrade? IF so, it might be useful to feedback directly to LG on this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
royboy, is this something that you think might be corrected with a firmware upgrade? IF so, it might be useful to feedback directly to LG on this.
I was leaving that for my calibrator to do. He was also going to start a thread under calibration for other calibrators.

It would explain why in some of the professional reviews like CNET they had issues with the 20 point calibration and gave up on it.

If we wanted to affect 60IRE he had to guess at how much to change 50IRE and then exit the menu to look at it. Then go back into the menu system a few levels to get to the adjustment.

It was painfully tedious! Especially on the 9300 which uses WebOS and takes even more steps to get to that control adjustment. Talk about dedication. He was awesome.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
royboy, MR Bob has submitted his post on this issue in the Calibration Forum. In reply, poster, mkoper has an interesting explanation for this phenomena. I recommend that we all read and understand the discussion over there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
When mounting the panel, is it absolutely necessary to use the supplied mount or could I use the mount I'm using on the tv I have wall-mounted now?

·
Registered
870 Posts
When mounting the panel, is it absolutely necessary to use the supplied mount or could I use the mount I'm using on the tv I have wall-mounted now?
My TV had not yet arrived, so I am not certain of my answer on this. But according to the Owners Manual the Vesa hole pattern is:

210mm(top)/364mm(bottom)

So probably not your standard Vesa pattern. The wall mount brackets, though, are on 16" centers, so they should easily mount in place of your existing bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody.
Got mine yesterday.
Some quick infos.
The box says that was made here in the free industrial zone of Manaus Brazil.
Obviously it was only assembled there, i believe.
The box shows production number 73k something, no mention on the manufact. date, i will check better later.
The front glossy material on front of panel has a lot of ripples, but if its made of glass, its normal because i was told long ago that the earths gravity makes impossible to make perfect flat large glass surfaces. Only on some "glass orbital factory" that perfect flat-plain glass is possible.
Im ok with the ripples because is not noticeable on viewing content.
Immediately after magic-remote sync put "oled light" to 50 "brightness to 50 and contrast to 60 and turned off all the hardware enhancement stuff.
Conneced to on some mini-itx intel i5 cpu (will check exact specs later) hdmi output pc. No other sources besides PCs still. I will try some blu-ray player later.
Ran some slides first from some D-wide (sorry if the name is incorrect) member from this forum for plasmas, i saw 3-4 "dead/off" subpixels on up-right corner on green/red/blue, no hot ones still.
Did not count it exactly, until now. Not noticeble at viewing distance.
On grey slides i noticed some subtly well defined crappy rectangles all over the screen, simetricaly-stacked. Dont know if its the Cpu-video-motherboard-pc-display or motherboard on tv itself.
I will to try run the same slides from a usb-stick later.
Had the carefull of playing only full screen content or always zooming to fill the screen.
Connected some internet-juice through rj45 and after lots of disgusting and BS licence and "privacy" agreements finnaly got updated the firmware 3.50xxx to 3.54xxx.
After turnoff and restart no immediately noticeable change. Will check later.
I have took some pictures , will post later.
I have a Nikon D7100 , along with my future photo-experiments you guys please suggest me other ones.
Im enjoyng the new set, i came from a philips 2007/8 42inch 2D LCD , it served me well.
Now i have very good upgrade on picture quality.
Nice color rendition,great skintones (can see girls makeups very well)and spetacular blacks.
Thats it. Sorry misspealings, but hey, the important thing is to understand the message.
I'll post more later.
Greetings again.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts
Odds are any mount will work, you can always try.......

Inventory is showing back up again ...........Good to see.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I finally finished installing my EA880 today. I've had the TV slightly more than a week but was busy hosting guests from out of town.
I am still trying to learn how to operate the TV, so I have not yet taken any photos to share. In browsing around the many available sources on the TV, I have not yet found the Gallery Mode. Perhaps one of you owners might help me with finding Gallery. Since I already shared with you a couple of virtual images of what I hoped my installation would be, I am anxious to take some real photos while in Gallery Mode. Both reflected and direct images.
Too, I need a quick and direct way to switch between HDMI 2 and HDMI 3, since these correspond to my flipped and unflipped images.
An interesting note about the clever mounting hardware. The total weight of the system is equally partitioned between the picture frame+frame support, on the one hand and the OLED TV + its wall mount bracket. Each weighs in at approximately 41 pounds. This means that the entire thing can be mounted robustly with mere #10 or 12 wood screws. IF studs are not available, four each of those screw in type toggles
Another neat mounting feature is that both the picture fram and the TV can be independently rotated.( +-)
I take some photos as soon as I gather myself.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I finally finished installing my EA880 today. I've had the TV slightly more than a week but was busy hosting guests from out of town.
I am still trying to learn how to operate the TV, so I have not yet taken any photos to share. In browsing around the many available sources on the TV, I have not yet found the Gallery Mode. Perhaps one of you owners might help me with finding Gallery. Since I already shared with you a couple of virtual images of what I hoped my installation would be, I am anxious to take some real photos while in Gallery Mode. Both reflected and direct images.
Too, I need a quick and direct way to switch between HDMI 2 and HDMI 3, since these correspond to my flipped and unflipped images.
An interesting note about the clever mounting hardware. The total weight of the system is equally partitioned between the picture frame+frame support, on the one hand and the OLED TV + its wall mount bracket. Each weighs in at approximately 41 pounds. This means that the entire thing can be mounted robustly with mere #10 or 12 wood screws. IF studs are not available, four each of those screw in type toggles
Another neat mounting feature is that both the picture fram and the TV can be independently rotated.( +-)
I take some photos as soon as I gather myself.
Hi,

press Smart button in your remote, and navigate through the icons to the last one to the right, Gallery.

101 - 120 of 537 Posts