AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one of these and noticed there are no threads dedicated to this very interesting Clarkdale MB.

Based on the H57 chipset, when paired with a Core i3 or Core i5 chip that includes the Video chip in the same package this combination will allow for HD Audio Codec Bitstreaming support. The H57 is similar to the H55 but provides RAID support in hardware and this particular board adds in USB 3 support.

Retailing on Newegg for $119 as of this writing it is a very good value as H57 boards go.

Link to MFG page:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...ProductID=3307

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved 1

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved 2

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved 3

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. I notice that no one has made any comments on this thread since I put it up. Has no one looked at this board or bought it? Could I be the first guinea pig? Oh well.

Board came in yesterday, I put the CPU and memory on it and am now in the final stages of deciding what version of Win 7 to put on it. I really want to put Win 7 64 on it but am hesitant due to the known issues. I may go either way at this point; one thing that just occured to me is that the onboard graphics use system memory and I need to clarify how that would work with the 32 bit OS...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, aside from some bad memory, all is well so far. This board is a good value indeed. I will be implementing a RAID array soon and will confirm that it works as easily as it usually does once I get it up and running.

All in all an excellent option for an H57 board.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have any PCIe x1 cards installed?

I'm having some issues with crashing that I believe MAY be due to my Hauppauge HVR-1800. I had it installed in the second PCIe x16 slot, and tried to move it to the primary PCIe x16 slot for troubleshooting, but 7 x64 doesn't see it at all in the primary PCIe slot! I tossed the card into my old HTPC's x16 slot (an Asus P5N7A-VM) and it was detected just fine, so I've got to wonder why the Gigabyte board doesn't dig it.

***Edit***

I called it in to Gigabyte and they're going to look into it. However, if the HVR-1800 is using it's tuner the system is crashing, while it's PCI cousin (the HVR-1600) is running all night long. Wacky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
have u got your raid up and running yet? I am strongly considering this board and would like to hear how it went.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate /forum/post/18347303

have u got your raid up and running yet? I am strongly considering this board and would like to hear how it went.

I'm running a RAID 5 on it with a trio of 1.5TB drives and it's pretty good. Not very fast, but that's what you get on a non-hardware RAID 5.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you running unraid through linux?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate /forum/post/18347546

Are you running unraid through linux?

Nope. The H57 has RAID support; I've got it set to do a 50gb boot volume, and the rest into a storage volume, running 7 Pro x64.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Has anyone done any HTPC stuff with this board yet? I'm interested in hearing how well it performs with BD/mkv/DVD playback, and if the bitstreaming works. I have an ASRock H55M Pro that might be going back because of the lack of stable bitstreaming, and if this board performs well it might be a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSomeguyx /forum/post/18338974

Do you have any PCIe x1 cards installed?

I'm having some issues with crashing that I believe MAY be due to my Hauppauge HVR-1800. I had it installed in the second PCIe x16 slot, and tried to move it to the primary PCIe x16 slot for troubleshooting, but 7 x64 doesn't see it at all in the primary PCIe slot! I tossed the card into my old HTPC's x16 slot (an Asus P5N7A-VM) and it was detected just fine, so I've got to wonder why the Gigabyte board doesn't dig it.

I have highpoint rocketraid 622 that I can confirm works in both pcie slots. Are you running the latest bios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer /forum/post/18348258

Has anyone done any HTPC stuff with this board yet? I'm interested in hearing how well it performs with BD/mkv/DVD playback, and if the bitstreaming works. I have an ASRock H55M Pro that might be going back because of the lack of stable bitstreaming, and if this board performs well it might be a suitable replacement.

I'm using it now. It works great. With the DTD override it even has flawless 23.976 playback. I'm using a core i3-530 and coreavc for .264 playback. I'm using MPCHC splitter with ffdshow to bitstream the hd audio.. A quick way to set this up is to install SAF codec pack. http://hobring.esero.net/saf/binary/experimental/

The only problem I had was when it would come back from sleep, it would often blue screen. This was fixed with a bios update. Make sure to clear cmos settings when doing this, or it will lead to all kinds of instability.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18348624

Nope. However, it should work as long as you have the MEI drivers installed.

Did you install them? That's one of the reasons why I want to ditch my ASRock - I can't install them.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer /forum/post/18348630

Did you install them? That's one of the reasons why I want to ditch my ASRock - I can't install them.

They installed fine. I didn't need them for what I'm using, but the device was there without a driver, so I figured I might as well.

This board seems great so far.

Here is the build I'm using now. I went with a shallow case so I could fit it on my rack easier. It's pretty as well.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12473805

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer /forum/post/18348258

Everything is working great for me! I've never not installed the MEI driver, so I can't say what happens without it, but after getting all the drivers in and configuring PowerDVD and FFDShow (installed via Shark007's 7 Codec package) it's been flawless for video playback.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18348443

I have highpoint rocketraid 622 that I can confirm works in both pcie slots. Are you running the latest bios?

I'm using it now. It works great. With the DTD override it even has flawless 23.976 playback. I'm using a core i3-530 and coreavc for .264 playback. I'm using MPCHC splitter with ffdshow to bitstream the hd audio.. A quick way to set this up is to install SAF codec pack. http://hobring.esero.net/saf/binary/experimental/

The only problem I had was when it would come back from sleep, it would often blue screen. This was fixed with a bios update. Make sure to clear cmos settings when doing this, or it will lead to all kinds of instability.

Yeah, I've had the latest F5 BIOS since it came out. After isolating each card by themselves, I've found that the PCI tuner runs all day, where the PCIe tuner crashes it within an hour or two (it varies for some reason). I've got to assume now that since your x1 RAID card works fine that I've got a bum board, or at least a bug in the PCIe subsystem, which is leading to the issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18348684

They installed fine. I didn't need them for what I'm using, but the device was there without a driver, so I figured I might as well.

This board seems great so far.

Here is the build I'm using now. I went with a shallow case so I could fit it on my rack easier. It's pretty as well.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12473805

So how do you still like your HTPC so far? I am planning to build 2 of them and was looking at this board as well as the Asus.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 79 Posts