AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Just going to post this and then I am done. The Chromecast audio caused wakelock battery drain again as you can see from the missing battery gap. This is the 4th time I had to reboot it in only 2 days since using it. The last time I had this issue was with Lollipop but with 6.0 it has only occurred once otherwise I went a week without wakelock issues but since using the Chromecast audio it has done it already 6 times lost count all together. I am disconnecting this thing for good and I will see if I can send it back to Google. Thanks for all the help but I am done.

Also before I forget any good AUX cables that can maybe reduce or get rid of the popping and buzzing feedback sounds? Maybe I will start a new thread if no one knows here.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
I am using the monoprice 3.5mm to RCA cable without issue. Red I think you got a bad unit. I haven't experienced any of the issues you describe. Haven't tried all the apps though just Google Play and Songza. YouTube doesn't support the CC Audio as far as I can tell.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Red: You definitely either have a bad unit, or there's something wonky going on with your phone. I am NOT a paid shill and I've experienced none of those issues. Doesn't seem to effect my battery life at all. The Chromecast app has never showed me a tab with celebrity videos, nor is there even one at all for me. It's just "What's On" (which just asks what app to open), "Devices", and "Get Apps." It plays back great from multiple apps. Sure, there may be a few people out there having some issues such as yourself, but it would seem that your experience is in the minority. I'd exchange it for another unit and try it out on a different control device before declaring just how awful they are. Personally, my wife and I have been enjoying the heck out of ours.

Clas55clown: About the hi-res audio files, I use Plex to playback from my computer. However, I'd like to try out the BubbleUPnP app to see about playing FLAC files directly from my phone.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Haven't tried all the apps though just Google Play and Songza.
That is the thing. The Chromecast audio works perfect with Google Play and barely drains the battery. It is the other apps that ruin it by draining the battery with wakelock, and makes it that I can't control the volume. For example TuneIn radio which is a battery hog normally is much worse with the Chromecast audio drained the battery 5% in 10 minutes (this is with the screen off BTW) way more than using the AUX cable. Also some stations would not connect but the worse was my phone required a reboot because it started to drain more than usual. So right now this thing is a no for me as I use many music apps not just Play Music. Also reading these reviews it seems that is the only app besides Songza and Spotify they used is Play Music. Only the one I linked on YouTube used iHeart and even said that app was buggy which it is with the Chromecast audio but Play Music and Songza worked perfect.

Also the real beef is that Play Music is the only app that causes popping issues between tracks using the AUX cable the other apps TuneIn, Slacker Radio, iHeart, DI.FM, RadioTunes cause no popping but they have major issues with the Chromecast audio.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Are you using the app to cast or are you using the "mirroring" feature?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
K. If you're still in the return period, go ahead and do that. Otherwise, an app update might be worth waiting for before you write the whole thing off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Considering picking up the Google hardwired ethernet adapter, and then using the optical output... Either a Fiio D3 DAC, or an AudioEngine D1 DAC... not sure if I'll have an appreciable difference or not.

Great little device thus far, just not a huge fan of the 3.5mm output and want to see if going optical cleans it up.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
http://liliputing.com/2015/11/chromecast-audio-review.html
At least as of the time that I’m writing this review, the TuneIn Radio pp is another one that doesn’t officially support ChromeCast Audio. Since this app has no problem streaming music in the background, you can turn off the display or switch to other apps while listening. But the audio is routed through your phone, which means that you’ll have a greater battery drain and if any other sounds play on your phone you’ll hear them on your speaker as well as the audio from TuneIn.
Now I know why TuneIn drains the battery 5% in 10 minutes which is even worse then streaming Netflix (22 minute program drained only about 4%) and the phone actually gets quite warm over 35 degrees Celsius and this is with the screen off. Anyway the DI app was updated with proper Chromecast audio support and the battery life is much better when casting about 3% to 4% a hour with the screen off. Still have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume but I think that is a Android limitation. Only Play Music lets me control the volume with the screen off.

Anyway I reconnected my Chromecast which I mainly use for Play Music (the popping on the speakers using the AUX when tracks change was giving me a headache and I could not enjoy the music) and DI.FM and just use headphones or listen on the computer with the other apps that don't work right.

Update: Disconnected and done. Giving this thing to my uncle when he visits later this week so I am not tempted to mess around with it no more. Not being able to control the volume with the screen off is too annoying and it keeps defaulting to max volume so I have to make sure my boombox speaker is off before casting otherwise I can accidentally blow out my speakers. Really only good if you have a stereo with a volume remote which I did have but no more. Also even DI.FM battery drain is worse. Come on 2% to 3% in 10 minutes at 128kbps is crazy when a direct connection at the same bit-rate is only 1% after 10 minutes.

Also I did find results on Google search under Reddit 1st-3rd link but I had them blocked using a extension. I don't dare go into that racist vulgar R rated anything goes site. This post does not show up doing a crappy Google search though.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
K. If you're still in the return period, go ahead and do that. Otherwise, an app update might be worth waiting for before you write the whole thing off.
Not since I had to pay for return shipping and would not get much back. Well $35 +tax down the drain. The last time I trust "honest" fake reviews from bloggers who got the product for free instead of Amazon because Amazon are morons for not selling it. I ignore the fake "got this product at a discount for a honest review" on Amazon voted all of them not helpful. Still a 3 out of 5 critical reviews of actually people purchasing this hockey puck turd I would have not wasted my money like with the Roku 4 Amazon sells that I might have got but with real reviews saying the thing overheats I avoid it. But the fake tech bloggers who got it for nothing dare not say it overheats and is great.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I paid for mine and like it quite a bit for what it does...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lots of good info in this thread. Thinking of getting one for whole house audio with my receiver that doesn't support digital inputs for 2nd zone which goes to my house speakers with volume control knobs. I usually do Pandora because its a pain to find songs using DLNA in the Yamaha app.

So with this, I hook it up to my analog input with a 3.5mm to rca adapter cable. And then with my android phone, I turn on the 2nd zone with my Yamaha app. Then I start Google Music or Plex App and cast my music and sound should come out with nothing else to do? Just wanted to make sure it's that simple or I'll just stick with DLNA with the Yamaha app.

A bit confused as to why the need for a chromecast app. Music is still controlled through Google Music or Plex right? Seems pretty awesome since I think I can use voice control to locate music to play back.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's about right. The app helps you set things up, and I don't really use it unless I'm mirroring my phone.

Reactions: 2ndvizio

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
So with this, I hook it up to my analog input with a 3.5mm to rca adapter cable. And then with my android phone, I turn on the 2nd zone with my Yamaha app. Then I start Google Music or Plex App and cast my music and sound should come out with nothing else to do? Just wanted to make sure it's that simple or I'll just stick with DLNA with the Yamaha app.
Make sure your Yamaha amp is not maxed out in volume or you might blow out your speakers. Keep the amp low because the Chromecast Audio stupidly defaults to max volume. Just use the remote on your Yamaha amp as the only app that lets you control the volume from your phone or tablet with the screen off is Play Music.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Make sure your Yamaha amp is not maxed out in volume or you might blow out your speakers. Keep the amp low because the Chromecast Audio stupidly defaults to max volume. Just use the remote on your Yamaha amp as the only app that lets you control the volume from your phone or tablet with the screen off is Play Music.
I think I understand your issue now. If you use the Chromecast app to reduce the volume and crank up the Yamaha amp it is ok. But using later, the Yamaha amp is left cranked up and then chromecast audio starts at max volume and you blow your speakers.

I don't think I'll run into this problem myself just because the amp is driving up to four pairs of speakers so I'm always worried about overloading the amp. I'll be using the volume control knobs in each room instead of the chromecast app so I shouldn't have any issues.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but this looks perfect for my use case.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Make sure 'playback sounds' is toggled on in the device settings to avoid having a music passage dame your speakers, or worse, you hearing. Never had a problem. It will give you a short sound so you know if the gain is up too high or not.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mini Toslink Issue

I bought a mini toslink to toslink cable for my Chromecast Audio. I found that if I plug the mini toslink 'all the way in' to the Chromecast, I get no audio. I have to leave it about 1/8th of inch short of all the way plugged to get audio out.

Pics below of 'one eighth out' and 'all the way in'

Any one else have this issue or is this normal?

Thx
-K2

Attachments

41 - 60 of 887 Posts