AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So it works well for whole home audio? Do you cast from your phone for that?
Short answer: yes.

Long(er) answer:
I (primarily) use two seperate apps/programs/services for music:
1) Google Play Music for a "streaming subscription" that integrates pretty seamlessly with free cloud-stored copies of my own personal music library (with CD-quality and hi-rez FLAC files converted to 320 kbps MP3's)
2) Plex for my own personal music collection (including a small selection of "hi-rez" albums but a pretty subtantial collection of bit-for-bit CD-quality rips using Exact Audio Copy).

Both apps support Google Cast/chromecast natively within the app (do not require "casting screen/device").

I primarily play music using:
1) My Android phone
2) My Android Tablet
3) My Win10 laptop

I can play music using either service from any of those three devices, and all 6 combinations support "casting". Within the Google Home app you can group up any/all combinations of Chromecast Audios and/or Google Homes and give that group a name. When you click to "cast" and you get a list of devices, any "group names" you've created also appear on that list. If you click on the group, casting begins playback (assuming all sources/speakers are powered on). If/when one of my speakers in the group is powered off, playback begins for me pretty seamlessly/instantly by simply powering the system on and waiting 3-5 seconds...

Whole home audio is the primary reason why I bought four of them.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Our system -
CCA - AVR in LR
2 CCA - sound bars in 2 bdrms
CCA - to share speakers at desk w. computer (have a/b switch)
use 2 Minis as speakers on 2 small balconies
a G-Home in kitchen
1 Mini in large master bath

The main system to get this all working perfectly was installing a wifi mesh system.

We cast from phones, computers, tablets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Whole home audio is the whole reason why I bought one, and I've liked/used them so much I'm already up to four and thinking about picking up a 5th or 6th at this discounted price...
My experience with using the CCA for whole home audio is that it works great IF you use them exclusively.

My set up is 1 CCA set as an input into my (Denon) AVR and 2 CCAs set up elsewhere connected to medium end powered PC speakers. I also have 2 HEOS (Denon) wireless speakers, one in my LR and 1 in the kitchen. I generally use the CCA speakers for outdoor entertainment.

The problem...and this is more of a Denon issue than a CCA issue...is when I try and mix indoor and outdoor whole home audio. When I cast to the CCA connected to the AVR I can play through the stereo and the HEOS speakers just fine BUT if I also cast the audio to my other 2 CCAs they are out of sync with what is playing via the Denon...not by a lot but annoying enough that I have to keep the volume down low enough so you can't hear indoor and outdoor at the same time.

Again, this is not a CCA limitation but be aware that if you hope to mix playback between your main AV system and separate CCAs then you may have sync issues unless your AV system explicitly supports Google casting.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My experience with using the CCA for whole home audio is that it works great IF you use them exclusively.

My set up is 1 CCA set as an input into my (Denon) AVR and 2 CCAs set up elsewhere connected to medium end powered PC speakers. I also have 2 HEOS (Denon) wireless speakers, one in my LR and 1 in the kitchen. I generally use the CCA speakers for outdoor entertainment.

The problem...and this is more of a Denon issue than a CCA issue...is when I try and mix indoor and outdoor whole home audio. When I cast to the CCA connected to the AVR I can play through the stereo and the HEOS speakers just fine BUT if I also cast the audio to my other 2 CCAs they are out of sync with what is playing via the Denon...not by a lot but annoying enough that I have to keep the volume down low enough so you can't hear indoor and outdoor at the same time.

Again, this is not a CCA limitation but be aware that if you hope to mix playback between your main AV system and separate CCAs then you may have sync issues unless your AV system explicitly supports Google casting.
That's fair and good input to share with the community.

FWIW I avoid this problem by NOT mixing and matching; I have a CCA's on each of my two main rigs/AVRs, and I bypass the CCA DAC by way of Optical Out of the CCA and into the AVR... TIFWIW.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

Are you aware that there is a sync timing adjustment on CCAs? You should be able to compensate for end device lag.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Are you aware that there is a sync timing adjustment on CCAs? You should be able to compensate for end device lag.
I was not aware of that, Thank you! I will have to play with that.
The lag is introduced by the Denon so hopefully I can adjust the CCA that I use as an input to the AVR to compensate. Now that (as I hear) the CC Ultra supports grouping for Audio, if the same adjustment can be made to the CC Ultra I may get one and swap it out with that CCA and add one more set of remote speakers to the mix!!

EDIT:
OK, so it appears that I can sync my freestanding CCAs with the speakers wired to the Denon AVR but I cannot sync them with the Denon wireless HEOS speakers...the delay introduced by the HEOS processing is more than can be compensated for in the "group delay correction" using the Google Home app.

It looks like the only way I can get whole home audio mixing my HEOS speakers and the CCAs is to purchase a separate CCA to connect to each HEOS speaker via its aux in and bypass HEOS altogether...not happy about that...Why does the solution always mean spending more money? Can't we all just play along? (I'm talking to you, Denon)

·
Registered
91 Posts
One footnote, after six months of using several different apps to cast hi-def music to CCA: once you try Roon there's no way back. Certainly not cheap, but works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
One footnote, after six months of using several different apps to cast hi-def music to CCA: once you try Roon there's no way back. Certainly not cheap, but works like a charm.
I read this sentiment a lot. Care to expand?

There seems to be ONLY one negative/downside to Roon... and it's the obvious one. $500 is a substantial percentage of the subwoofer upgrade I've been wanting to make (but avoiding due to cost) for more than 3 years now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just ordered the Chromecast Audio and Optical cable. CCA is on sale for $15 and cable was another $15. Anyone using Slacker or streaming NPR or local PBS station on CCA? Slacker has a limited menu with my Roku 4 and I haven't found a way to stream NPR, KPBS (local PBS radio station), and BBC via Roku so I'm hoping CCA solves those problems. I have a second optical port on my receiver will that give me the best sound quality? Using CCA as a workaround for a dumb but great sounding 2 channel receiver.

And CCA is funny I'm going to connect my CCA to my stereo to fire up some CCR.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just ordered the Chromecast Audio and Optical cable. CCA is on sale for $15 and cable was another $15. Anyone using Slacker or streaming NPR or local PBS station on CCA? Slacker has a limited menu with my Roku 4 and I haven't found a way to stream NPR, KPBS (local PBS radio station), and BBC via Roku so I'm hoping CCA solves those problems. I have a second optical port on my receiver will that give me the best sound quality? Using CCA as a workaround for a dumb but great sounding 2 channel receiver.

Well, I tried those apps for you. NPR One and Slacker give me the CCA as a casting option and I was able to cast them. NPR One gave me my local PBS station. The BBC News app does not have a casting icon. Screen casting might work, I didn't test that.

I personally use the optical to my Anthem processor, and let the DAC in the processor to the work instead of the CCA. I have not tested to see if there is any difference in sound quality, but I have to assume that my Anthem has a better DAC than a $35 streaming device.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Google app on iPAD2

Does anyone have the new Google Home 2.7.3x app successfully running on an older iPAD2? I currently have the Chromecast app loaded, but it complains about updating to the new app, however the IPAD2 will not run iOS 10 and that's what the Google Home app says is the minimum OS version.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
CCA has been my primary music-casting-means for over 3 years now, and in terms of reliability, I think google has really taken this device a long way in that timeframe; we lived with occassional jankiness and unreliability in the first year or two, but these things are pretty rock-solid reliable for me anymore.

I preface with that in order to share this: I recently experienced intermittent audible dropouts on only one of my four CCAs.
- The only CCA that was experiencing the dropout was the one closest to my router (~5 feet; no walls). The other three (including one two floors above) weren't having any problems.
- The problem ONLY occurred with 24/96 hi rez files, which constitutes a *very* small percentage of my library/listening habits. I was having no problems with any of my 16/44.1 lossless rips, or my streaming subscriptions to GPM and Tidal.

I unplugged it briefly, counted to 20, plugged it back in.... and the problem seems to have corrected itself. "FYI," to fellow CCA owners out there.

·
Registered
508 Posts

I use Tunein radio to cast to my CCA. Works great, I can cast KPBS (my local NPR station also), BBC and my favorite Paridise radio.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I haven't found a way to stream NPR, KPBS (local PBS radio station), and BBC via Roku so I'm hoping CCA solves those problems.
You may want to checkout vTuner as well, here. Be sure to click their large station list. I've never used their mobile app because my Yamaha's and previous Onkyo had the app built in. I setup my vTuner on a PC. I like that I can have My Favourite Groups (Smooth Jazz, New Age, Live Radio, etc.) and add stations and streams to them. If you click on a group, Folk for example, they show the source name, location, genre, codec and speed.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Does anybody else on here have problems with 24/96 files?

The power cycle I mentioned a couple posts above was only a temporary fix. I bought a spare/extra over the Holidays and its having the same problem...

Two things that really surprise/baffle me:
1) I'm using optical out on the misbehaving CCA; the Chromecast DAC is being bypassed.
2) I've got 4 CCAs grouped into a whole-home-setup. The only one experiencing drop-outs (only with 24/96 files; everything else is working fine) is the one closest to (~5 feet) the router. All other CCA's have to go through at least one floor or exterior wall (for the patio CCA) and work as well with 24/96 as they do all other (lower bitrate) files I own/cast...

I just ordered new cables and mini-toslink connectors from a reputable source (Blue Jeans Cable), thinking it was a faulty mini-toslink adapter... doesn't appear to have fixed the problem.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

-tim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Grouping CCA with CC / CC Ultra?

I currently have 3 CCAs...two connected to speakers and the 3rd to my AVR. I'm in the process of upgrading my AV setup and next step is a 4K UHD TV and BD player. In support of that I'd like to replace the CCA I use as an input to my AVR with a CC Ultra. That would free up my 3rd CCA for me to connect to another set of spare powered JBL PC Speakers.

A while back Google announced support for grouping Chromecasts (and presumably Chromecast Ultras) with CC Audios...can anyone here speak to how that is working?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Have you tried hardwired rather than WiFi? In case you did not know, an adapter will be needed for a hardwired connection as seen here.
I have not.

It seems odd to me that all other CCAs are working except for this one (the closest one to the router; the only one in the same room as the router), and that the spare CCA that I bought also exhibited the same characteristics....

But $15 isn't much to try a solution, and I appreciate the recommendation. I will probably give it a go. I spent considerably more than this to order a new Optical cable and mini-TOSLINK adapters, and that doesn't seem to have fixed it...

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It seems odd to me that all other CCAs are working except for this one (the closest one to the router; the only one in the same room as the router), and that the spare CCA that I bought also exhibited the same characteristics....
A couple of things that could cause this. One: you may have the CCA in a signal null area or the opposite condition where the CCA is in a strong signal area and Wi-Fi radio front end is overloaded. If you have a tablet or smart phone you may want to get one of the Wi-Fi analyzer apps to check the signal level at the CCA position. Just be aware this is 2.4GHz so a small change in distance could mean you go from signal null to max signal level. Two: IIRC, Bluetooth devices operate in this same band and could cause interference.

A hardwired device will eliminate all the Wi-Fi problems and IMHO, would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have not.

As in Wendell's note above, you can find dead or noise spots even close to a wireless router. Moving the antennas on the router, or changing position, can help. Consider just trying a different power supply (usb charger) as sometimes those can be noisy.

Setting your wifi access point to use specific channels is another method of dealing with wifi interference issues.

721 - 740 of 887 Posts