AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I reconnected the Chromecast but way different. Here is what I had to buy to get it to work right to work with my Logitech boombox.

So what I do is use the 3.5mm jack connection hooked up to input one for TuneIn (supports Chromecast but battery life is horrible 5% drain in 10 minutes with the screen off worse than watching Netflix or Hulu with the screen on), RadioTunes, Jazz Radio etc and just use the Chromecast Audio on input two for Play Music, Slacker, SomaFM app and DI.FM (sometimes still using the 3.5mm connection for the former three because only Play Music lets me control the volume with the screen off).

Is there any chance this gets fixed in a future update? Surely there are complaints about it. It is the one big flaw that keeps me from using it, and the fix should be quite simple.
I make sure my switch is on input one and when I cast audio on input two I make sure the boombox is off, play something, lower the volume then turn on the boombox.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought a mini toslink to toslink cable for my Chromecast Audio. I found that if I plug the mini toslink 'all the way in' to the Chromecast, I get no audio. I have to leave it about 1/8th of inch short of all the way plugged to get audio out.

Pics below of 'one eighth out' and 'all the way in'

Any one else have this issue or is this normal?

Thx
-K2
I just got mine last week and ordered the same cable from monoprice and haven't had the issue you described but I read in another forum that someone had a similar problem also.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I make sure my switch is on input one and when I cast audio on input two I make sure the boombox is off, play something, lower the volume then turn on the boombox.
That workaround is not something I can do. I have mine connected directly to a stereo amp. No volume control on the amp. CCA should have a setting for initial/default volume.

BTW, it appears they are aware of the issue and intend to fix it.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/GYB1XuWuAQY/50hk2ewWBAAJ

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
That workaround is not something I can do. I have mine connected directly to a stereo amp. No volume control on the amp. CCA should have a setting for initial/default volume.

BTW, it appears they are aware of the issue and intend to fix it.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/GYB1XuWuAQY/50hk2ewWBAAJ
I read that I hope it is fixed and I also hope being able to control the volume with the screen off with any app besides Play Music which only works is fixed too. Also funny how the useless tech bloggers which I take everything they say with a grain of salt mention none of these problems. I only believe reviews from Lon Seidman and Leo Laporte because they actually buys there products with there own money to review they actually said that but the many tech bloggers you find when doing a Google search get the products free to write a "honest review" and as Leo said that if they write a negative review they get on there case to make it positive which is why Lon and Leo buy there own products.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It sounds like they have the audio level fix identified. I suspect they are just checking to see what other fixes they can get done soon before releasing an update. They also talk about multi-room sync, but I think they'll have challenges in getting that done any time soon, and even then it may only work under limited circumstances because that would seem to also require controlling device changes, or somehow create the ability for all CCA's on the LAN to act as one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read that I hope it is fixed and I also hope being able to control the volume with the screen off with any app besides Play Music which only works is fixed too.
Is it not the responsibility of the developers of apps that use chromecast to implement such features (such as volume control with screen off or locked)? My plex app seems to handle this just fine.

Edit: well maybe it doesnt, I will need to test it again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Picked up a Yamaha RX-V779: ended up returning my chromecast audio since the receiver does everything I wanted the Chromecast for.

I might pick up a couple later if they get the linked-streaming going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had started building a collection of LG music flow speakers when this was announced. So far, those just show up like regular Chromecast targets and are not integrated into the Chromecast app. I'm hoping they will update the software for the speakers to act more like the Chromecast audio (controllable through the Chromecast app and streaming separately from the device) and also to integrate into the upcoming multiroom solution with Chromecast audio
^^^ Does anybody have experience with LG Music Flow devices? I'd be curious whether the above issue has been resolved by app updates and/or firmware updates for the speakers.

Currently looking into the LG Music Flow H4 Portable. It's available for

·
Registered
16 Posts
My experience has not been great. The speakers keep getting 'lost' either by the app or by Google cast (the Google cast software is many versions behind). If you go to the LG music flow forum you can see a lot of the frustration that owners are having, and LG is not doing much to answer. I'm hoping at this point that the Denon HEOS system implements Google cast soon and hopefully works better than the LG has. I would strongly recommend looking at that forum before investing in any of these speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
A gift just in time for family entertaining:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/10/9886076/googles-chromecast-audio-multi-room-hi-res-audio

The multi-room feature lets user group multiple Chromecast Audio devices together to play the same song out of different speakers at the same time. Groups are created with the Chromecast app for iOS or Android, and then show up as options when the cast button is pressed in supported apps, such as Spotify, Google Play Music, or Pandora. The hi-res audio feature, which is important for services that offer lossless playback, supports 96KHz / 24bit audio, which is greater than CD quality.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Target has them two for $50. A lot of retailers did that deal Thanksgiving weekend, so maybe you can still find it elsewhere.

I put one in my living room and one in my bar, they're really handy.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
BTW the pooping sound between tracks on Play Music when using the AUX cable seems to be fixed with 6.0.1. Like other audio apps it only pops once when playing something for the first time then it is fine after. Too bad I would have not gotten a Chromecast audio if it was fixed earlier.

Also got the Chromecast audio update and volume does not seem to default to full blast but it seems louder at lower volumes. The sound quality is better but still only Play Music app lets you control the volume from the app.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone looked at multi-room performance with this ? i.e the audio output is all similar in multiple rooms irrespective of network topology/delays etc ?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Also got the Chromecast audio update and volume does not seem to default to full blast but it seems louder at lower volumes. The sound quality is better but still only Play Music app lets you control the volume from the app.
The default to 100% problem on analog still exists from what I can tell. If I play a song by dragging it into chrome browser and then lower the volume, stop, the play another song, it changes back to 100%. Why they can't just have a setting for the default start volume I don't know. I guess the problem is somewhat solved only for certain apps. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Has anyone here read/heard anything about whether Chromecast video devices, and maybe even other Google Cast capable devices (NVIDIA Shield, for example) are going to be able to "join the party" wrt this new multi-room feature?

If one of these would let me sync my portable blutooth speaker to my two primary sound systems (both with 1st Gen chromecasts), that'd be so cool...

61 - 80 of 887 Posts