AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Whatever app you used to start streaming, you would use the same app to press the Stop button. Or you could issue a voice command to either your Google smart speaker (if you have one) or to your Android phone, asking your Chromecast Audio (or however you named it) to stop.

A couple things:

1) I'm not sure if this is Operating System / Ecosystem dependent, and I'm also not sure if it does/doesn't depend on whether you have the Google Home app installed on the device or not, but what I can tell you is that I'm on Android (for phone and tablet), and I have the Home app installed on both devices... and if someone, ANYONE, is casting something on the network using an App other than Roon, it shows up in my dropdown trey that there's a stream going on. I don't think this is JUST limited to the Google Home's but also includes the CCA's? I'm not sure but I think so. Mostly I just see notifications that one of the kids started casting to one of the Home's.... they don't know how to work any of the CCA's (yet).

2) As other posters suggested, I think it would depend on what kind of "play mode" you're using. As long as you don't set the album, queue, or playlist to "repeat continuously," and you aren't using a "radio" feature that just starts queuing up endless songs (whether it be something like Roon Radio or Google Play Music's "stations"), it should just play every song currently in your queue (whether that be an album, a playlist, or a manually generated queue) and then stop...

TIFWIW.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a stereo receiver in the garage with 2x AW6500 outdoor speakers and am looking to send audio to it via this CCA. I have a QNAP NAS that runs Twonky but can also play music via QFILE. If I bought one of these would I be able to send audio from my phone's QFILE APP that's stored on the NAS to it? I have a router outside so WiFi strength is not a problem. Basically I'm looking to avoid sending the audio via Bluetooth if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have a stereo receiver in the garage with 2x AW6500 outdoor speakers and am looking to send audio to it via this CCA. I have a QNAP NAS that runs Twonky but can also play music via QFILE. If I bought one of these would I be able to send audio from my phone's QFILE APP that's stored on the NAS to it? I have a router outside so WiFi strength is not a problem. Basically I'm looking to avoid sending the audio via Bluetooth if at all possible.
I don't know about QFILE specifically, but you could most likely use Bubble UPNP on your phone if you have QNAP NAS:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-enjoy-multimedia-content-stored-on-the-qnap-nas-via-dlnaupnp/
https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/nas_install.html

There was some discussion about how to set up Bubble UPNP a bit earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Short answer - yes. I used to use QFILE to send files from my (QNAP) NAS to CCA.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Psukinger, I got one and it all works well except for one major issue. When I open a folder to play a song, it won't automatically play the next track. It skips all the way to the last song. I've tried everything but it just won't play songs consecutively. When qfile is not attached to chromecast it plays in order. The second I cast the songs it automatically goes to the last track after skipping all the others. Wtf. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Psukinger, I got one and it all works well except for one major issue. When I open a folder to play a song, it won't automatically play the next track. It skips all the way to the last song. I've tried everything but it just won't play songs consecutively. When qfile is not attached to chromecast it plays in order. The second I cast the songs it automatically goes to the last track after skipping all the others. Wtf. Any ideas?

Weird. Unfortunately I don't think I have any other than to try a different app (BubbleUpnP, for example). I only fooked around with using QFile (and could confirm for you that it worked from first-hand experience) while trying to trouble shoot my problem(s) with CCA playback (dropouts) of 88.2 khz and 96 khz content. I never really used it *extensively* as my primary means of playing back files... I just knew that it worked for playing a song.

BubbleUPnP is very popular on here and you'll be able to access all the same songs, as stored on your QNAP, using that app... I don't think you'll find that oddball quirky behavior with it, either.

·
Registered
219 Posts
no fu*king Bubble iPhone app. This is driving me insane now. All I want to do is play audio from my QNAP NAS through the CCA and control it with my phone. I've tried 300 different apps and NONE of them will just play the fuc*ing album and have the controls I need. I need to be able to see my Audio folder in FOLDER mode, have a volume control within the app and have the piece of **** play the songs in order. How is this not something that has come up 1000 times? QFILE has EVERYTHING I need yet the songs will not play in order within folder like they do on every other device I've ever served to.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
no fu*king Bubble iPhone app. This is driving me insane now. All I want to do is play audio from my QNAP NAS through the CCA and control it with my phone. I've tried 300 different apps and NONE of them will just play the fuc*ing album and have the controls I need. I need to be able to see my Audio folder in FOLDER mode, have a volume control within the app and have the piece of **** play the songs in order. How is this not something that has come up 1000 times? QFILE has EVERYTHING I need yet the songs will not play in order within folder like they do on every other device I've ever served to.

Apologies. I'm not on iPhone, and wasn't aware that that app wasn't either... I don't have my phone handy at the moment, but when I next get a chance I can check and see what else I used to use. I think there was an app called "HiFiCast"? It worked too... but I mostly used Plex right up until I bought Roon. Both of those require you to run some sort of installed software on a desktop or laptop computer, which maybe doesn't work for you? But those are the two programs/apps I have (overwhelmingly) used the most and can most easily recommend. Roon is expensive but if you're *really* into music I've never used a better piece of audio software...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, that was a general tantrum lol. I just hate when you're used to something that works perfectly and when you add another piece it totally fuc*s the whole thing up. I've tried honestly about 15 apps and they all will have one thing that makes it a deal breaker. The search continues.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, that was a general tantrum lol. I just hate when you're used to something that works perfectly and when you add another piece it totally fuc*s the whole thing up. I've tried honestly about 15 apps and they all will have one thing that makes it a deal breaker. The search continues.

Understood.

If the files are lossy, which I'm guessing they aren't, you can just introduce Google Music to the folder, Google will make (up to) 320 kbps MP3 copies of all of your music and store (up to the first 50,000) tracks for free up in the Google Cloud... and then you can cast those Google-Cloud-Copies of your QNAP files to a CCA using Google Play Music... no subscription required.

But if they're lossless FLAC and you want lossless playback via CCA you need one of these alternative apps we're discussing (BubbleUPnP, QFile, HiFiCast, Plex, Roon, etc).

·
Registered
219 Posts
yup, FLAC and mostly WAV. Even though it's for an outside setup, it would kill me knowing that I'm listening to 320 rips when the lossless files are literally feet away. PLEX was all over the place when I tried it yesterday, plus there was no volume control through the app.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi

I think my chromecast is bricked, I have tried factory reset, still broken.
The orange light flashes a couple of times then goes solid. The google home app can't find a device when it scans for the device.
There is no wifi AP corresponding to the chromecast.

Is there a way to upload new firmware onto the device using the microusb?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I recently made a (pretty significant, for me at least) speaker upgrade... and with the new gear, I *think* I hear a sound quality difference between my Google Chromecast Audio (with optical output to my Denon x4400h) and my (Roon Ready) OPPO UDP-203 (with HDMI output to the same Denon x4400h).

The difference isn't just limited to sampling rates and bitrates that I have Roon downsample to 24/44.1 or 24/48 for proper playback. I think I hear it with 16/44.1 CD-quality FLAC playback.

Roon reports "lossless" via both endpoints.
Both the CCA and the OPPO are digital outputs to the same AVR and speaker system; same D-to-A. Same amplification. Same transducer(s). Same EQ settings (usually none) within Roon. Same room correction (or sometimes "Pure Direct") being applied via Audyssey. Same audyssey listening curve applied to (usually "FLAT" but occasionally "Reference with midbass compensation disabled").

It doesn't make any sense to me why there'd be a difference... and I'm definitely not conducting anything resembling a proper Blind ABX test (yet)... but I feel like the OPPO *does* sound better, and I've asked others (mainly my dad) to listen and without knowing what endpoint was what (or the significant price difference and geometry difference between the two, hopefully removing any preconceived bias's I may have based on the knowledge I possess about each), they have arrived at the same conclusion I did... I'm open to the idea that this is placebo and I'm FOS. But just in case I'm not... anyone else have an opinion on this? Or better yet an explanation on why?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hi

I think my chromecast is bricked, I have tried factory reset, still broken.
The orange light flashes a couple of times then goes solid. The google home app can't find a device when it scans for the device.
There is no wifi AP corresponding to the chromecast.

Is there a way to upload new firmware onto the device using the microusb?

I doubt there is any way to do it via USB. They do have USB Ethernet/power supply adapters for CCs and CCAs, so I suppose there could be some chance you could connect that way, but sounds like your CCA is fubar overall.

If you haven't yet, try a different power supply and cables.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Or better yet an explanation on why?
Do you have any test tones that you can use to measure the output from your Denon?

Some time back I did this using the CCA and a Oppo UDP-203 into a Yamaha CX-A5100 and the audio levels matched very close. The CCA was set for no attention and no EQ.

Just be aware that a difference as small as 1 dB louder can tip the scale as to that source sounding better.

For me, I play the good stuff through the Oppo using the mobile app and my playlist. Or I use BubbleUPnP with the Oppo as the rendering device.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I recently made a (pretty significant, for me at least) speaker upgrade... and with the new gear, I *think* I hear a sound quality difference between my Google Chromecast Audio (with optical output to my Denon x4400h) and my (Roon Ready) OPPO UDP-203 (with HDMI output to the same Denon x4400h).

The difference isn't just limited to sampling rates and bitrates that I have Roon downsample to 24/44.1 or 24/48 for proper playback. I think I hear it with 16/44.1 CD-quality FLAC playback.
It's possible that your current setup allows you to hear the effects of the Chromecast Audio's optical output jitter, which is reported to be higher than normal, though not high enough to be considered a serious issue:
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html

May be the Denon AVR-X4400H's optical input is especially sensitive to jitter or it might even have some other issue. Definitely worth trying the OPPO UDP-203's optical out to the Denon (with the same cable you're currently using with the CCA) to see if that affects the audio quality.

BTW, given that AirPlay streaming is supposed to use lossless audio (ALAC) at CD res - have you tested the audio quality using the Marantz as a Roon AirPlay endpoint with CD res FLAC playback?
That should in theory be the ideal setup, since the Marantz itself will be producing & sending the realtime digital audio signal directly to its own DAC.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Understood.

If the files are lossy, which I'm guessing they aren't, you can just introduce Google Music to the folder, Google will make (up to) 320 kbps MP3 copies of all of your music and store (up to the first 50,000) tracks for free up in the Google Cloud... and then you can cast those Google-Cloud-Copies of your QNAP files to a CCA using Google Play Music... no subscription required.

But if they're lossless FLAC and you want lossless playback via CCA you need one of these alternative apps we're discussing (BubbleUPnP, QFile, HiFiCast, Plex, Roon, etc).

Do you know if Bubbleupnp can cast .wav files to CCA without transcoding them? Is .wav a native audio format for CCA? Do I need to convert my music to FLAC for direct casting to CCA using Bubble UPnP?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you know if Bubbleupnp can cast .wav files to CCA without transcoding them?
Yes. The BubbleUPnP app doesn't transcode any of the CCA's native formats (see below).

Is .wav a native audio format for CCA?
Yes. Apart from WAV & FLAC audio formats, the CCA also supports HE-AAC, LE-ACC, MP3, Opus & Vorbis. See:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279377?hl=en

Do I need to convert my music to FLAC for direct casting to CCA using Bubble UPnP?
No. If any of your music is in an audio format not supported by the CCA, the BubbleUPnP app has an option to transcode it to a format that is supported by the CCA.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes. The BubbleUPnP app doesn't transcode any of the CCA's native formats (see below).

Yes. Apart from WAV & FLAC audio formats, the CCA also supports HE-AAC, LE-ACC, MP3, Opus & Vorbis. See:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279377?hl=en

No. If any of your music is in an audio format not supported by the CCA, the BubbleUPnP app has an option to transcode it to a format that is supported by the CCA.

Thank you.
I used Bubbleupnp to chromecast a .wav rip of a CD to the CCA in HiFi mode then I cast the same song using Pandora. The .wav file was way better sounding, so I'm assuming that many more bits of data were reaching my ears with the .wav file. BubbleUPnP is the best local file streaming app for CCA.

841 - 860 of 887 Posts