AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you.
I used Bubbleupnp to chromecast a .wav rip of a CD to the CCA in HiFi mode then I cast the same song using Pandora. The .wav file was way better sounding, so I'm assuming that many more bits of data were reaching my ears with the .wav file. BubbleUPnP is the best local file streaming app for CCA.
On one hand, if you've got a library of .WAVs or lossless rips it's great that you have a way to access them. On the other hand I'm not sure how this experience tells you anything meaningful about sound quality. There's no surprise at all that a Pandora stream would sound worse than a .WAV -- particularly if you are using default Pandora settings. On the other hand there are many streaming options that provide much higher quality streams that should be audibly similar to uncompressed local files, and wouldn't limit you to the library at hand.

I use Google Play Music (long may it run) at highest quality settings to CCA (320kb AAC I believe) and the only time I can hear a difference vs. uncompressed local files is if GPM has a different master source.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
And just as quickly as the problems arose, they are gone. 24/96 and 24/88.2 playback without dropouts, well-documented by myself and a few others, both on this thread and elsewhere on the internet, is gone.

Firmware 1.42.172094

No changes to my network that I can point to other than that firmware update. All 6 CCA's exhibited before. So far I've only bothered to listen to 4 out of 6 of them (one of the remaining two is outside on my back patio, and we just had our first snowfall, so... that'll wait), and all four are now drop-out free.

Very odd. Drove me to buy Roon for the 96 --> 48 and 88.2 --> 44.1 sample rate conversions... which drove me to generally prefer the way RAAT-supporting devices like my OPPO UDP-203 and a Raspberry Pie running RoPieee sound over a CCA. So it's been an expensive endeavor... hopefully it doesn't come back...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
And just as quickly as the problems arose, they are gone. 24/96 and 24/88.2 playback without dropouts, well-documented by myself and a few others, both on this thread and elsewhere on the internet, is gone.

Firmware 1.42.172094
Has this firmware been out for a while now? I can't tell when it reached GA.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Has this firmware been out for a while now? I can't tell when it reached GA.

I honestly don't know either. I think it was fairly recently, but (because of this whole fiasco) I've had Roon configured to downsample all content to either 44.1 or 48 khz for (almost) all of my CCA's for the last 9ish months... it wasn't until I noticed that I had a new CCA that I was using individually rather than grouped, within Roon, and didn't have the downsampling set... and it was playing back perfectly with no dropouts... did I realize that a fix had been generated.

I disabled the resampling on all my CCA's and CCA groups and been playing 24/96 and 24/88.2 music through them for several days now and haven't heard one drop yet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
On one hand, if you've got a library of .WAVs or lossless rips it's great that you have a way to access them. On the other hand I'm not sure how this experience tells you anything meaningful about sound quality. There's no surprise at all that a Pandora stream would sound worse than a .WAV -- particularly if you are using default Pandora settings. On the other hand there are many streaming options that provide much higher quality streams that should be audibly similar to uncompressed local files, and wouldn't limit you to the library at hand.

I use Google Play Music (long may it run) at highest quality settings to CCA (320kb AAC I believe) and the only time I can hear a difference vs. uncompressed local files is if GPM has a different master source.

It's not that I have a library of .WAV files, but the fact that I have a library of CD's. CD's were a music 'investment' that over the years cost me a lot of money. I get the return on my investment by being able to play them without using a CD player and not having to pay a monthly fee (including the cost of a data connection for cloud streaming), or rely on having that connection, and knowing that I can tell the difference in quality to other free services (Pandora). I'm not trying to get anything meaningful about sound quality from the experience, I'm trying to appreciate my investment knowing that I can hear the great quality with my own ears. I use modern streaming services for an extended music library, but I only want to use the free ones.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
EDIT: SOLVED with this -> https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/4585821?hl=en

Solution was to connect to CCA WiFi network to get Home App to connect

Original Post: I just bought a new sealed Chromecast Audio device, but I'm having trouble on setup. When I open the Home app on an iPhone to add a new device, it does find the new Chromecast audio device, but it hangs when I try to connect to it to complete the setup.

I have the CCA right next to the WiFi router and I have it within inches of the iPhone. I also have iPhone Bluetooth on, but Home can't connect. I've tried running the Home app on 2 different iPhones, but they won't connect. I have 2 other CCA devices and had no problem setting them up.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be preventing the Google Home app from connecting to the new CCA?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Sorry if the following is common knowledge. On my Android tablet I had opened a site (vTuner with no cast option), via Chrome and was sampling some stations and thought it might be neat to send the audio to one of my Chromecast Audio devices. I tried to find a way to do it with Local Cast but none was obvious so I looked in Google Home and sure enough there was an option to do so.

To cast from Chrome open Google Home, select your desired Chromecast Audio device then click Cast my Audio.

Both my Yamaha devices (AVR & AVP) have vTuner but if I ever do the latest firmware updates it will delete vTuner and install TuneIn which I do not like near as well as vTuner.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sorry if the following is common knowledge. On my Android tablet I had opened a site (vTuner with no cast option), via Chrome and was sampling some stations and thought it might be neat to send the audio to one of my Chromecast Audio devices. I tried to find a way to do it with Local Cast but none was obvious so I looked in Google Home and sure enough there was an option to do so.

To cast from Chrome open Google Home, select your desired Chromecast Audio device then click Cast my Audio.

Both my Yamaha devices (AVR & AVP) have vTuner but if I ever do the latest firmware updates it will delete vTuner and install TuneIn which I do not like near as well as vTuner.

It is common knowledge. Unfortunately, the option doesn't work on many Android tablets. At least, none that I have tried. It works on my Galaxy Note 8, though. Which Android tablet do you have ?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
8.1.0 Works on my phone as well, Samsung model SM-J727T, Android 8.1.0

Thank you ! Looks like the Android 8.1 update for the SM-T580 tablet came out in late 2018 . My bug report was in January of that year. I think it was running Android 7 at the time. Maybe it's time to buy the tablet again and see if it's fixed.

At the moment, I have a FireHD 10 2019 version tablet, hacked with Google play, and the cast device audio function also fails on it ...

Everything is still fine with cast device audio on my Galaxy Note 8 . I switched my router and wireless APs to Ubiquti, FYI. No more Netgear Orbi.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello All, how can I cast for a non Chromecast app? WRTI Jazz only provides AirPlay. Is there a work around?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello All, how can I cast from a non Chromecast app? WRTI Jazz only provides AirPlay. Is there a work around?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hello All, how can I cast from a non Chromecast app? WRTI Jazz only provides AirPlay. Is there a work around?
If you are using an Android device, try casting the entire device audio to the Chromecast audio through the Google Home app. Select the CCA in the app, then click "Cast my audio" at the bottom. Be aware this works on very few Android devices. Works on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Definitely no work around available from iOS itself unlike there is on Android devices.

You need to use a general purpose internet radio app that can potentially play any internet radio station and supports Chromecast on the iPad instead of the WRTI radio app, eg the free TuneIn app - both the WRTI Jazz & WRTI Classical stations are currently available on TuneIn (just searched 'wrti' in the app).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
....the free TuneIn app - both the WRTI Jazz & WRTI Classical stations are currently available on TuneIn (just searched 'wrti' in the app).

^^^ This is the answer, use TuneIn for radio stations that don't cast directly ^^^ (probably also IheartRadio works)

861 - 880 of 887 Posts