AVS Forum banner

881 - 887 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Stupid question for CCA's: From a single iPhone, is there a way to simultaneously control individual Pandora channels (or Spotify content) independently for each CCA? For example, I sometimes want to play a Pandora jazz channel on the basement CCA and, at the same time, a Pandora rock channel on the back yard deck CCA. Is this possible? It seems like Pandora (and Spotify) bind to the last session you kicked off in the iPhone app.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Stupid question for CCA's: From a single iPhone, is there a way to simultaneously control individual Pandora channels (or Spotify content) independently for each CCA? For example, I sometimes want to play a Pandora jazz channel on the basement CCA and, at the same time, a Pandora rock channel on the back yard deck CCA. Is this possible? It seems like Pandora (and Spotify) bind to the last session you kicked off in the iPhone app.

I don't use iPhone nor Pandora. But I can say even in the Android, sadly, each app only lets you play one instance at a time, no matter how many audio devices you have. If you have multiple apps, say, Google Play Music, Pandora, Tidal, you might be able to have each of them play onto a difference CCA device.

I think if you want to play onto multiple zones from a single device, you might be able to do it if you music collection is on a server on your LAN, say, using JRiver Media Center server. Then use BubbleUPNP to convert each Chromecast to a DLNA renderer. And finally, on your device, use something like JRemote.
I have not done this myself, but will get it to it some day.

If you are using a phone that allows it, you can also put a 512 GB or 1 TB SD card like I have done. The 512 GB card I have fits about half of my music collection, though not all of it. Still would need to find a multi-instance player app. JRiver MC for Android / iOS might work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't use iPhone nor Pandora. But I can say even in the Android, sadly, each app only lets you play one instance at a time, no matter how many audio devices you have. If you have multiple apps, say, Google Play Music, Pandora, Tidal, you might be able to have each of them play onto a difference CCA device.
I concur with @madbrain. My experience is limited to Android as well (and Spotify), but you are likely to face the same limits for any online account based streaming service. Multiple devices probably won't help if they are all logged in to the same account.

For example, I have an old phone I use exclusively as a remote and as a player for things like Spotify, plus I run Spotify on my tablet and on my phone and if I play from Spotify on any one of those 3 devices what I'm playing shows on the other two. As madbrain suggested you would probably have to launch separate apps and cast each to the desired CCA to accomplish what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Thanks for the feedback regarding independent control -- not what I wanted to hear, but good to know and consistent with what I was seeing. I'm pretty sure I have used Pandora with 1 CCA and Spotify with another. Not an ideal solution, but it is what it is.

Love the CCA (have 4 of them) and use the "group" function sometimes for whole-house audio (wish it had independent volume control for each CCA in group mode).

As much as I love the CCA's, they are a little clunky in some ways -- I often have guests become the "DJ" and play their music from their phone, which is easy with Bluetooth but requires they connect to my WiFi for CCA (not sure if "guest" WiFi will work, which would be a little more practical, but I suspect it won't). Also, things like YouTube for music doesn't allow you to cast just the audio to CCA (all of the video CC's show up as castable for YouTube, but not the CCA's).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Love the CCA (have 4 of them) and use the "group" function sometimes for whole-house audio (wish it had independent volume control for each CCA in group mode).

I can control each CCA's volume independently in group mode in the Android Google Home app. It's not the best UI. I wish there was more of a "mixer-type" UI that showed the volume for each CCA in the group. Not sure if it's the same thing in the iOS Google Home app.

As much as I love the CCA's, they are a little clunky in some ways -- I often have guests become the "DJ" and play their music from their phone, which is easy with Bluetooth but requires they connect to my WiFi for CCA (not sure if "guest" WiFi will work, which would be a little more practical, but I suspect it won't). Also, things like YouTube for music doesn't allow you to cast just the audio to CCA (all of the video CC's show up as castable for YouTube, but not the CCA's).
Yes, I certainly agree. The Youtube app thing is really silly. But that's because Google wants to sell you a subscription to Youtube Music, which does have the capability to cast to a CCA. Sigh. I'm writing this as a Google employee, but I don't work on anything related to CCA, Google Home, or Youtube. Unfortunately, now that Google has dropped the CCA, it's hard to see improvements being made to the software stack for the CCA.

If you used an Android phone, the Google Home app allows casting the entire audio device to a CCA, so you can use any app you want. The reliability will be limited by your Wifi, though. If you move your phone into a dead/slow Wifi spot, you may experience breaks or even stops in the music. When I drop my phone into my hot tub (with its protective case) while casting to a CCA this way, the sound stops completely. Same if I cast to the hot tub's Bluetooth speakers. Wireless signals don't go through water at all. I prefer the CCA as the speaker location is much farther away from my ears, and I get higher volume from my Denon AVR, and higher quality from the CCA's DAC.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I can control each CCA's volume independently in group mode in the Android Google Home app. It's not the best UI. I wish there was more of a "mixer-type" UI that showed the volume for each CCA in the group. Not sure if it's the same thing in the iOS Google Home app.
Thanks -- this is helpful. I do see individual volume controls in the Google Home app on IOS also. This is helpful for me in group mode. I try to keep the CCA volume at 100% in 2 of the 3 systems (the ones that have local volume control) in the cast group on the assumption that the CCA volume control out of the headphone jack is done in digital rather than analog (losing some fidelity when volume is reduced digitally (I would love to be corrected if CCA headphone jack out does volume in analog rather than digital)). On the 3rd system of the group, on the deck in the back yard, I have fixed gains on the amps for the main speakers and in-ground sub, so I need to use CCA volume for that system. I'll do deck volume control via Google Home now in group mode and keep the others at 100%.

I with there was a way to set the other 2 CCA's so they were permanently on 100% volume, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Yes, I certainly agree. The Youtube app thing is really silly. But that's because Google wants to sell you a subscription to Youtube Music, which does have the capability to cast to a CCA. Sigh. I'm writing this as a Google employee, but I don't work on anything related to CCA, Google Home, or Youtube. Unfortunately, now that Google has dropped the CCA, it's hard to see improvements being made to the software stack for the CCA.
The YouTube issue doesn't bother me too much, but my brother-in-law's music lists are all on YouTube, so he can't be DJ anymore on the deck.

If you used an Android phone, the Google Home app allows casting the entire audio device to a CCA, so you can use any app you want. The reliability will be limited by your Wifi, though. If you move your phone into a dead/slow Wifi spot, you may experience breaks or even stops in the music. When I drop my phone into my hot tub (with its protective case) while casting to a CCA this way, the sound stops completely. Same if I cast to the hot tub's Bluetooth speakers. Wireless signals don't go through water at all. I prefer the CCA as the speaker location is much farther away from my ears, and I get higher volume from my Denon AVR, and higher quality from the CCA's DAC.
My brother-in-law has Android, so maybe this will work for him. Our Wifi is pretty good -- have Linksys Velop 2-node system -- has very good coverage compared to any single Wifi router. It still has a hiccup every once in a while and requires a reboot, but geographical coverage is very good so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Thanks for your help!

881 - 887 of 887 Posts