AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 1222 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
Not yet. Strange thing if I Google the issues, several people complained of similar issues but it was with the older version of the Chromecast devices.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a CCU connected directly to my KS8000. A lot of content looks bad - like the framerate is off, stuttering, dropped frames, and weird artifacts like it's trying to smooth out the motion... all in the same video.

When I view the same video using the KS8000 built-in YouTube app, it looks much better. All my settings are the same for both sources. Auto Motion is turned off.

A scene I've been comparing is 1:24 in this video: https://youtu.be/yiuO4zw663E?t=84 The ground under the jeep looks really weird on my CCU.

Is the CCU messing with the framerate?

·
Banned
449 Posts
I have a CCU connected directly to my KS8000. A lot of content looks bad - like the framerate is off, stuttering, dropped frames, and weird artifacts like it's trying to smooth out the motion... all in the same video.

When I view the same video using the KS8000 built-in YouTube app, it looks much better. All my settings are the same for both sources. Auto Motion is turned off.

A scene I've been comparing is 1:24 in this video: https://youtu.be/yiuO4zw663E?t=84 The ground under the jeep looks really weird on my CCU.

Don't have motion issues, but I do have issues with the colors on HDR content. Seems to be a problem with the communication between the CCU and Samsung TVs.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
More CAST Away's than Gilligan's Island

Just in case you guys haven't noticed or played around with the CAST button I have included a cropped screen shot below of what appears when I click on the button in any of the enabled apps that I use. As you can see I happen to have 8 devices that I can cast to located around my home in addition to my Apple TV which uses AirPlay Mirroring. As a matter of fact the devices called Den, Living Room, and Master Bedroom are all Arris 4K 10 Bit top of the line Set Top Boxes that just so happen to include the VP9 chipset -- but unfortunately not VP9.2 thus no HDR without acquiring the CCU for sets where I want YouTube 4K HDR.

Although I thought it was worthwhile purchasing the CCU for my [TV]Living room for YouTube 4K HDR where I do all of my critical viewing and listening, I haven't bothered buying one for my [TV]Bedroom which lacks the VP9 chipset so I am limited to 1080p. But guess what? That all changed when I switched cable providers. Now I can cast to the Arris Set Top in my Bedroom and watch YouTube videos in 4K (but without HDR).

What am I trying to say here? Well, before running out and buying multiple Chromecast Ultra's for every TV in your house or recommending them to friends who might not even have a 4K TV, do a little experimenting and see if you can get away without one! Also, having multiple devices to CAST to provides ample opportunities to test the picture quality using other devices instead of blaming the CCU as the source of your issues before exploring other resources like Google's Help Center or using a Search Engine to see if other guys are having similar complaints... especially when we tell you we aren't!

In my case in my living room alone, I can steer apps to 5 different devices as follows to test out their picture quality without getting out of my recliner!

• Chromecast Ultra
  • Living Room (Arris DVR / Set Top Box)
  • Apple TV
  • [AV]Samsung Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • [TV]Living Room
With 4 more devices to CAST to in other rooms of the house that provides me a total of 9 different ways to test apps for picture quality!

• Den (Arris Set Top Box)
  • Master bedroom (Arris Set Top Box)
  • [BD]Samsung Blu-ray
  • [TV]Bedroom
Since some of those devices include a number of built in apps and I also have a Laptop I can cast from, I might be able to increase the number of tests I can perform but you get my drift.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't have motion issues, but I do have issues with the colors on HDR content. Seems to be a problem with the communication between the CCU and Samsung TVs.
I have encountered a variety of HDR issues. I thought it usually depended on the video itself. Like, most "the HDR Channel" videos don't look good, but most of the "Jacob + Katie Schwarz" HDR videos looks great. And that seemed to be the same whether I used the CCU or any other YouTube app. This motion issue seems to be directly related to the CCU, though.

·
Banned
285 Posts
I think I may have resolved my issue.

I went into my Sony 770 "Amp Menu" and went into each of my HDMI input settings and found I could adjust each input to either "Standard" or "Enhanced" so I adjust the CCU input AND, I re-read my TV manual and noticed that each TV input can be adjusted to "Enhanced" so I changed my TV setting (HDMI 1/ARC) to "Enhanced".

I watched several movie clips and YouTube 4K stuff and did not notice any weird image issues.

So hoping these changes will fix things for me.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

I would say highly unlikely that the CCU is messing with your framerate (especially on the video you have been using for testing which is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 FPS which should hardly be an issue on your TV that supports 24/25/30/50/60 Hz) and the fact I have seen no other posts making the same claim.

The fact that you are seeing dropped frames and stuttering would imply -- but please don't shoot the messenger -- that you may have internet issues on the Chromecast Ultra device since you say "When [you] view the same video using the KS8000 built-in YouTube app, it looks much better.". I assume both your KS8000 and your CCU are hooked up to your network in the best possible manner (i.e. Ethernet).

Under normal conditions the only time you should see dropped frame rates is if you use the scroll bar at the bottom of the video to change the location of the part of the video you want to watch... or when you are experiencing internet issues).

This morning I am into my third hour of watching YouTube music videos with the Stats for Nerds overlay screen displayed. Not one Dropped Frame yet nor have I seen any stuttering! Generally speaking the entire music video is spooled up rather quickly and, based on the time remaining, I can tell that the video has fully loaded and that no more Network Activity is being recorded while I watch the Buffer Health count down to the end of the video (see attached image).

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would say highly unlikely that the CCU is messing with your framerate (especially on the video you have been using for testing which is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 FPS which should hardly be an issue on your TV that supports 24/25/30/50/60 Hz) and the fact I have seen no other posts making the same claim.

The fact that you are seeing dropped frames and stuttering would imply -- but please don't shoot the messenger -- that you may have internet issues on the Chromecast Ultra device since you say "When [you] view the same video using the KS8000 built-in YouTube app, it looks much better.". I assume both your KS8000 and your CCU are hooked up to your network in the best possible manner (i.e. Ethernet).

Under normal conditions the only time you should see dropped frame rates is if you use the scroll bar at the bottom of the video to change the location of the part of the video you want to watch... or when you are experiencing internet issues).

This morning I am into my third hour of watching YouTube music videos with the Stats for Nerds overlay screen displayed. Not one Dropped Frame yet nor have I seen any stuttering! Generally speaking the entire music video is spooled up rather quickly and, based on the time remaining, I can tell that the video has fully loaded and that no more Network Activity is being recorded while I watch the Buffer Health count down to the end of the video (see attached image).
That doesn't explain the strange "smooth motion" artifacts that I see behind the jeep.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
That doesn't explain the strange "smooth motion" artifacts that I see behind the jeep.
That's nice... but it does explain that the CCU is NOT messing with my framerates, that I am NOT receiving any Dropped Frames or stuttering on any of my devices hooked up to several different displays, and the fact that I am NOT seeing any weird or strange artifacts while watching over 2 hours of video this morning.
:rolleyes:

In a similar manner @Lineproduct told you he wasn't having any motion issues either but I am starting to get some motion sickness. :eek:

Note: Without even getting into what you describe as strange and weird "smooth motion" artifact issues on one particular video could either be the video or perhaps your internet stability. The fact that you told us that you are getting dropped frames and stuttering could be part of the root cause. Internet connectivity has been the cause of issues for many and if you are looking for someone to EXPLAIN to you why you are having issues and others are not then I suggest you start by searching the internet or even AVS Forums where a guy with a 25 Mbps connection has no issues while a guy with a 150 Mbps is having issues with the same video.

·
Banned
449 Posts
I have encountered a variety of HDR issues. I thought it usually depended on the video itself. Like, most "the HDR Channel" videos don't look good, but most of the "Jacob + Katie Schwarz" HDR videos looks great. And that seemed to be the same whether I used the CCU or any other YouTube app. This motion issue seems to be directly related to the CCU, though.
Videos from the HDR Channel look great through my TV's native app. All HDR videos do. The same ones through the CCU all look washed out.

No issues at all with motion.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Videos from the HDR Channel look great through my TV's native app. All HDR videos do. The same ones through the CCU all look washed out.

Do you have a setting on the HDMI input where the CCU resides that is something like "enhanced?" If so, bet sure it is set to enhanced.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

Likewise no issues with motion either but the fact that HDR videos played through your TV built-in app look great while through the CCU they look washed out would lead me to suggest that whatever HDMI port you have it plugged into is not HDMI 2.0a -- the "a" version being what you need to display HDR correctly otherwise it will look washed out.

Also, it could have something to do with a picture setting. For example on the 2014/2015 Samsung TVs HDMI UHD Color needs to be turned ON.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Likewise no issues with motion but the fact that HDR videos played through your TV built-ion look great while through the CCU look washed out would lead me to suggest that whatever HDMI port you have it plugged into is not HDMI 2.0a -- the "a" version being what you need to display HDR correctly. Also, it could have something to do with a picture setting. For example on the 2014/2015 Samsung TVs HDMI UHD Color needs to be turned ON.
All the ports on my TV are 2.0a, and yes, the UHD HDMI Color setting (also known as "enhanced" on other TVs) is turned on.

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, and nothing helped. Spoke with Chromecast support and they said it was either a faulty unit or a communication issue between Samsung TVs and the CCU. Once I saw numerous other people with the same TV reporting the same issue, I knew it wasn't a faulty unit.

No issues with any other external devices.

·
Registered
302 Posts
All the ports on my TV are 2.0a, and yes, the UHD HDMI Color setting (also known as "enhanced" on other TVs) is turned on.

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, and nothing helped. Spoke with Chromecast support and they said it was either a faulty unit or a communication issue between Samsung TVs and the CCU. Once I saw numerous other people with the same TV reporting the same issue, I knew it wasn't a faulty unit.

No issues with any other external devices.
I had similar issues with a Hisense TV as well. Built in HDR looked good, but CCU looked bad. I need to check again on my Samsung to see if the HDR looks different on the built in apps, but I know HDR doesn't always look good from CCU.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
I had similar issues with a Hisense TV as well. Built in HDR looked good, but CCU looked bad. I need to check again on my Samsung to see if the HDR looks different on the built in apps, but I know HDR doesn't always look good from CCU.
From a specific app?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have sound sync problems with the CCU and DV, except my CCU is plugged into my soundbar. DV over ARC from my TV apps = zero sound problems.

Trying to isolate if the CCU plugged into my bar is the cause, without me testing and fiddling with my setup by plugging the CCU into my TV to make sure.

Thank you for any feedback.
Skunkbeard,
I have had to work out some lip sync issues as well. In my case, it seems that the CCU is, by default, implementing automatic lip sync correction based on what the display is reporting in the HDMI data (edid?). Unfortunately, this is better implemented by my AVR in my case, but I cannot disable it on the CCU. When I leave audio delay enabled on the AVR, then I wind up with the audio *behind* the video, because both the AVR and CCU are delaying the audio. When i disable the audio delay on the AVR, then the lip sync is ... uh ... in sync. This isn't a great solution for me, since I use audio delay in the AVR for all my other sources. The ideal solution for me would be to have Google expose the audio delay setting for CCU, so I can disable it or adjust the delay. The Chromecast Audio has a customizable 'Group Delay' option to help keep whole-home audio in sync, so I'm optimistic that someday I'll see a similar option on the CCU.

I don't know if your soundbar has as many options as an AVR, and I wouldn't hazard a guess if you are having the same problem as me. But, if your bar does have a setting for "Audio Delay" or "Auto Lip Sync", try turning that off.

Side Note: I've otherwise been quite happy with the CCU, primarily for YouTube and Netflix viewing. Once I figured out that I had to use a rear input on my Marantz (2016 and 2017 Denon and Marantz front inputs do not support 4K60 4:4:4), the CCU has been my go-to option for viewing streaming content in HDR and BT.2020

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just picked up a CCU because I had it with Comcast HD PQ.

I tried Fobu which didn't look much better and YouTube TV has the channels we need so I gave that a try. Figured there was an app for the Shield TV but not yet apparently.

So I got a CCU and was disappointed that I have to cast to it. I got it installed, got the app on my phone and was able to cast today's Lion's game without issue.

My question is, does it actually cast to it, or does it tell the CCU to go get the stream itself?

Casting to it seems to be a waste of bandwidth. I have to get the video, then send the video to the CCU. It also seems like it could cause the PQ to be lower than if the CCU got it directly.

That being said the PQ is far better than it was on Comcast or Fobu, not as good as other streaming services but it is a huge improvement over what I had.

If it does cast to it to play then the device your casting from does that would make a difference. I have a Note 8 and all the wifi is AC in the house but I don't want to use my phone all the time. I have a couple of Android tablets but they are not AC which I assume would cut down on PQ.

·
Banned
285 Posts
You are casting your movie/TV shows from the device you are using to cast. The CU doesn't have streaming apps per se built in that I know of. It used the casting device connected to it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
My question is, does it actually cast to it, or does it tell the CCU to go get the stream itself?
You are casting your movie/TV shows from the device you are using to cast. The CU doesn't have streaming apps per se built in that I know of. It used the casting device connected to it.
If you are using an app with the cast icon (not the device cast icon), the phone acts as the remote and the CCU picks up the stream. An easy way to check...while a show is streaming, turn off the device from which you started it. :)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Anybody using the CCU for Playstation Vue? It has a better picture than either the Fire TV or nVidia Shield, but too often simply stops and throws up an error message "Please select another program to watch" or something like that right in the middle of a show I'm watching.

The Shield or FTV have never done that, so I'm assuming this is an issue strictly with the Chromecast?

681 - 700 of 1222 Posts