AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1830 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
scratchie, I completely agree that playing files on your home network will be a make or break deal for many, but if it does not come with that ability could some future app be designed to solve that?

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
It seems rather unlikely it will have any home content integration, at least initially. However, it is possible that this is something already on the roadmap for future release.

The chances though of playback of ISO images, HD audio support and all the other top shelf things that AVS members insist on are virtually zero.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/19144892

It seems rather unlikely it will have any home content integration, at least initially. However, it is possible that this is something already on the roadmap for future release.

The chances though of playback of ISO images, HD audio support and all the other top shelf things that AVS members insist on are virtually zero.

Especially since in particular HD Audio support is hardware based first before you even look at the software. If the Google TV hardware does not support HD Audio then it will never happen. Do we even know if the Hardware that GoogleTV is using is capable of handling HD playback (what AVS members consider HD such as 1:1 not Apple or MS "480p HD")

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator /forum/post/19143176

If this thing records shows to Google's cloud, I'm impressed!

Alas, it doesn't record to the "cloud". Too bad, that would be quite an achievement.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
Recording to the cloud would have been too good to be true- imagine how much storage space Google would have needed for everyone to record HD? If such a system were to exist, you would think your cable provider would offer it first.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19145986

Recording to the cloud would have been too good to be true- imagine how much storage space Google would have needed for everyone to record HD? If such a system were to exist, you would think your cable provider would offer it first.

That is supposedly what Cablevision will be offering. I think some of the networks sued Cablevision to stop them from doing this, but I believe they won that. Just waiting now...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The more I see of this, the more interesting it becomes ... but there are obviously major questions regarding implementation. To me it sounds like it is trying to accomplish what TiVo is with Premiere, but with a Google slant.

Where it diverges though, is what makes me question it's effectiveness. While I suspect the UI and feature-set to be better, it sounds like the intent of this is to interface with existing DVR's. While that has the plus of keeping VOD services, etc., it seems to do nothing to address any other issues. This does nothing to help distribute between rooms, correct? Nothing to help in the event you need more tuners? Other than the DirectTV boxes (not everyone uses DirectTV), it seems to just be a kluge on top of your existing service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19145986

The bigger issue beyond space is upload speeds. Most people don't have fast enough download speeds to support 'HD' Netflix ... and their upload speeds are normally only a fraction of the down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I heard about recording to the cloud, I too was gleeful, but upon thinking about it, you're correct, upload speed would definitely be a limiting factor. We all need gigabit to the home like Chattanooga is getting!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfieber /forum/post/19188053

When I heard about recording to the cloud, I too was gleeful, but upon thinking about it, you're correct, upload speed would definitely be a limiting factor. We all need gigabit to the home like Chattanooga is getting!

Thank god for symmetrical fiber (I

·
Registered
109 Posts
This product is for me. I recently cancelled my cable, hooked up an antenna for OTA live TV, have a Wii and BR player that stream netflix, and have been searching for something wife friendly that will play the shows we used to DVR. We dont have a media library, so I really dont care about it playing "my" content. I am the average american TV viewer thats sick of paying $100/mo for cable.

Thank you Google.

ETA: Nevermind - Pre ordered a Boxee!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
$299!!!! screw that.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/l...-dish-network/

Quote:
Google TV is coming, and Logitech's Revue is gonna bring it to ya first. But, if you're a Dish Network subscriber, it looks like you might be able to get yours for cheaper -- a lot cheaper. According to our industrious tipster, the Revue is slated to launch on September 29, just two weeks from now, with an MSRP of $299. But, if you happen to be a Dish subscriber, you can get one (and only one) for the heavily discounted price of $179. Our noble tipster also got some pictures of the keyboard, which match perfectly those captured earlier this month by good 'ol Mr. Blurrycam and, while we can't be 100% sure about these details, this deal certainly would go a long way toward explaining why attendees to Google's Zeitgeist event recently walked away with six free months of Dish service.

·
UHD Addict
37,976 Posts
Isn't $299 a little steep? It makes the Boxee Box look even better.

·
Premium Member
10,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19199479

Presumably the Harmony-osity has to be paid for. I've always felt this box is a poor choice for those of us who find the Harmony ecosystem worse than useless.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I have Dish, so I'll try it out as it'll be $179 + $4 DVR integration fee. Since this device has the same Intel chip as the Boxee Box and since this is a joint venture with several top CE companies, it should be quite capable. We'll find out soon.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19199479

I think we'll get a better feel once it's released, but I'm starting think GoogleTV isn't really a conventional streamer. There is a lot of overlap certainly, but a lot of differences as well. I'm not saying that makes it worth the extra money, but it may end up that way.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/19199628

I have Dish, so I'll try it out as it'll be $179 + $4 DVR integration fee.

So do I, and I even got polled by Dish regarding how much I was willing to pay. (They ignored my answer.) You are aware that the fee is monthly, aren't you?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Didn't know it'll be monthly. That sucks... $7 for DVR usage monthly and another $4 monthly to integrate with that DVR.

41 - 60 of 1830 Posts