AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1830 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just fired up Google TV in the bedroom. Went to ESPN3 using Chrome. Now watching some college football on the HDTV thanks to GTV. Much better than watching it on a laptop or netbook. The video quality is impressive. I have a pretty solid Internet connection, so I'm sure that makes all the difference. Earlier I caught up on some YouTube videos I subscribe to. I watched a tv episode on my DVR and used GTV to search for info on the series (ep. info, schedule, etc.). I also did a quick check on a blog I follow during a commercial. All of this was done on a single device.

Just a typical evening with Google TV. I could not be happier with this purchase.

·
Registered
583 Posts
dack70,

Sounds good, I am really looking forward to getting a Google TV device as well. Question are you hard wired, or using the Revue's wireless connection? If you are running wireless, can you do a speedtest.net and see your connection speed? I have Comcast and verified that a laptop up in the room where the Revue would be is currently running a speedtest of 24.7 mbps download and 3.4 upload.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, DishNetwork is offering the Revue for $179. (+ $4.00 per month "integration fee") for a time not specified.

As a DishNetwork subscriber for better or worse I'm thinking to order one, if only to make a future profit by peddling it to rogo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftaz
dack70,

Sounds good, I am really looking forward to getting a Google TV device as well. Question are you hard wired, or using the Revue's wireless connection? If you are running wireless, can you do a speedtest.net and see your connection speed? I have Comcast and verified that a laptop up in the room where the Revue would be is currently running a speedtest of 24.7 mbps download and 3.4 upload.

Thanks,

Jeff
Your numbers are quite a bit better than mine. I got around 16 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I use wireless n. My router is downstairs and on the other side of the house. That is good news for you because I am very pleased with the performance of my Revue. I also have an Xbox360 in my bedroom I use for Netflix and local media streaming. Once the Revue can support all my media files, I will be selling my Xbox. I am able to stream HD video with the wireless numbers that I get. You are in good shape.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for confirming that for me, seems like the Revue will have no trouble.

Jeff

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
As a DishNetwork subscriber for better or worse I'm thinking to order one, if only to make a future profit by peddling it to rogo.
I lol-ed a good deal there. I will say that if some Dish Networker bought one and wanted to resell it, that's, well, interesting.

·
Super Moderator
18,205 Posts
More bickering removed. As promised, some members have lost posting privileges. Infractions issued. Stick to the topic not each other.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went ahead and bought a timer for my Logitech Revue. I set the timer to power off the Revue from 2am to 4am every day. I just didn't like the idea of leaving the unit powered on 24/7. Does anyone else think this is a good or bad idea? Maybe I should have it powered off even longer? Or not at all?

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19432513

Just fired up Google TV in the bedroom. Went to ESPN3 using Chrome. Now watching some college football on the HDTV thanks to GTV. Much better than watching it on a laptop or netbook. The video quality is impressive. I have a pretty solid Internet connection, so I'm sure that makes all the difference. Earlier I caught up on some YouTube videos I subscribe to. I watched a tv episode on my DVR and used GTV to search for info on the series (ep. info, schedule, etc.). I also did a quick check on a blog I follow during a commercial. All of this was done on a single device.

Just a typical evening with Google TV. I could not be happier with this purchase.

Well I for one am glad to hear a positive story

Now it would be nice to hear if someone has seriously tried playing webinterfaced games like World of Warcraft

And if cloud gaming services like OnLive will make an Android client.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat /forum/post/0

Well I for one am glad to hear a positive story

Now it would be nice to hear if someone has seriously tried playing webinterfaced games like World of Warcraft

And if cloud gaming services like OnLive will make an Android client.

As for gaming, I do use the Revue sometimes to play some flash games on Facebook. Unfortunately, it is very sluggish. Not sure why though. The Revue has decent hardware. Are there big differences between Flash on the Revue(Chrome) and Flash on a desktop?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19434363

As for gaming, I do use the Revue sometimes to play some flash games on Facebook. Unfortunately, it is very sluggish. Not sure why though. The Revue has decent hardware. Are there big differences between Flash on the Revue(Chrome) and Flash on a desktop?

There is no difference in Flash, but there is a difference in the hardware. Flash on the Revue will have the same performance as Flash on a 1.2 GHz Atom net-top with respect to non-H264 video flash content. I am pretty sure knowledgeable consumers are aware that Atom in the primary HTPC is a guaranteed source of frustration.

The Revue hardware is decent for a SoC device. The host processor is arguably more powerful than the host processors on Sigma and Realtek chips. However, when you try to fulfill things which you would want from a HTPC, the true 'worthiness' of the platform is exposed.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/19434457

There is no difference in Flash, but there is a difference in the hardware. Flash on the Revue will have the same performance as Flash on a 1.2 GHz Atom net-top with respect to non-H264 video flash content. I am pretty sure knowledgeable consumers are aware that Atom in the primary HTPC is a guaranteed source of frustration.

The Revue hardware is decent for a SoC device. The host processor is arguably more powerful than the host processors on Sigma and Realtek chips. However, when you try to fulfill things which you would want from a HTPC, the true 'worthiness' of the platform is exposed.

Can Flash developers do anything to optimize their games for Google TV (the Revue specifically)? Or is it just well known that the performance of the Revue hardware will never be able to run Flash very well? Also, with the Android Market, along with the SDK, coming in early 2011, will developers be able to make decent games to run on the Revue? (Flash or otherwise)

Gaming on Google TV is probably the LAST thing I really care about, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Taking a quick look at the GTV features page, I don't see gaming as a feature. Then again there is nothing which says it's not a capability which I suppose could lead some to believe anything that can be done in Chrome should be able to be done in GTV.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James /forum/post/19434829

Taking a quick look at the GTV features page, I don't see gaming as a feature. Then again there is nothing which says it's not a capability which I suppose could lead some to believe anything that can be done in Chrome should be able to be done in GTV.

I agree with you here completely. It is more of a curiosity to me. I was actually pretty surprised the Facebook Flash game played at all. I even went full screen and it worked. Just very sluggish.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19434987

I agree with you here completely. It is more of a curiosity to me. I was actually pretty surprised the Facebook Flash game played at all. I even went full screen and it worked. Just very sluggish.

It is basically a HTPC (x86 processor at core) with some added hardware functionality for HDMI input etc. etc. Only problem is, it is not a powerful HTPC.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19434987

It's been discussed before, but I think the next big shoe might be GTV (with a different name) dropping onto an Intel platform allowing it access to the full suite of PC hardware thus eliminating the constraints imposed by TV's and STB's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure this rumor has been heard before, and will be heard again. But here is the link for those interested.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...station_3.html

I think it makes some sense, but I'm personally trying to STOP using my game console (Xbox360) as a media streamer. Then again, I'm asuming the hardware for the PS3 and Xbox360 can run Google TV much faster. Although, I'm pretty happy with the Revue's performance.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/19433180

I lol-ed a good deal there. I will say that if some Dish Networker bought one and wanted to resell it, that's, well, interesting.

Joke aside it IS interesting whether the DishNetwork offering of the Revue contains any proprietary additions that might prevent use of the equipment by a non Dish user.

Or to put it a different way will the Revue purchased from DishNetwork be usable if the buyer elects at some point to discontinue their Dish subscription?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19435125

I'm sure this rumor has been heard before, and will be heard again. But here is the link for those interested.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...station_3.html

I think this would be a boon for Google. But I question its value for Sony.

More to the point, I disagree with the conclusions brought about in that article. The PS3 can already access the internet, etc. etc. Further, the PSN network already allows for lite game downloads that add a good little coin for Sony. Why would they want to share that revenue with Google in a Google game/app deal?

-Suntan

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/19435547

I think this would be a boon for Google. But I question its value for Sony.

More to the point, I disagree with the conclusions brought about in that article. The PS3 can already access the internet, etc. etc. Further, the PSN network already allows for lite game downloads that add a good little coin for Sony. Why would they want to share that revenue with Google in a Google game/app deal?

-Suntan

That's a good point. A game console just feels like the wrong place for Google TV. If I'm in the mood for gaming I'll fire up the Xbox360, which also allows the downloading of "lite" games which are either free or very cheap. I think Google TV could really shine once the platform matures and they get it into TVs and/or STBs.

961 - 980 of 1830 Posts