AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1827 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/19448272

This is the marketing talk for Google TV right from their official page :

So, basically it is NOT EVERYTHING on the web. They even claim you can play games, but we saw how it was when dack70 tried playing a Flash game. Do everything you are accustomed to doing online is not true if one is used to watching MSDN videos. The latter, at least, is possible using an Atom nettop.

Yeah, but as dack said they all exaggerate, like Boxee Boxee Pr

"... if you can watch it on your computer's internet browser you can watch it on the Boxee Box, only better. ... - the Boxee Box delivers all your favorite web-videos and web-only content, no matter how obscure they may be, straight to your TV set..."

Of course they don't promise games ( so no Angry Birds for you on the Boxee !
)

Quote:

As I said before, I am probably 80 - 90% OK with the web video capabilities. Google TV should have really been a HTPC add-on card with dedicated OS instead of the current solution.

You know, I had no idea what a "HTPC" was before you started using it in every other word. I think most people would prefer a small little box which does what it does out of the box, and not some PC to be assembled.

Quote:

IIRC, WDTV could be tricked with b-rad's firmware to access the HD stream. So, by 'blocked', do you mean it is not accessible by GTV at your end or from your browser itself? I am waiting to hear playback status on GTV from someone within the US for that video.

Its not a question of trick - the WDTV Live can of course show it technically, and did in the firmware version which was shipped with the system, but then the firmware was changed - a rep from WD posted on a board they "...had to take care of the Google/Youtube business relationship." - and then it was removed.

Blocked was in relation to the Playstation 3 - with the WDTV Live you can say they have an agreement. The product does not allow the user to see HD Youtube vids (blocked by the promise of laywers perhaps? ;-)

But with the PS3 it checks the user agent and serves up low res (and remove the resolution change button), unless you go though a proxy which hides the PS3s user agent. I would call that blocking, though your terminology may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 /forum/post/19448958

I also want to give a plug to Vimeo's recently launched Couch Mode for the TV - http://vimeo.com/couchmode . It looks & functions great on Google TV and should work fine on HTPC's as they don't seem to be detecting/blocking based on browser type.

Actually they do, I was just told that I couldn't use Firefox to view that page.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Really wishing the proxy trick worked for GTV.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname /forum/post/0

... want to return it. I am really frustrated and tired spending hours on it. I love the interface, don't get me wrong but I get picture freeze and lock up when playing tv from Cox Cable. I have Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR. It happens so often, sometimes every 30 minutes. I called the Logitech tech support several times, no fix. Anybody has any feedback on me? Thanks

I have the 8300 HDC which is the DVR that accepts a cable card (for TiVo etc) hence the extra "C" in 8300 HDC. For some reason, this works well with GTV... I believe it is because it is HDCP (High Def Copy Protection compliant). By the way, you don't actually need a cable card, just the DVR. Time Warner Cable has both DVRs. Cox might too. I still have a problem rarely (pink lines) but I just power off everything and power on again, but this is rare.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I read about recent news that SyFy is also blocking GTV. This is not a surprise seeing as how NBC owns SyFy. I know many feel the blocking of the networks web streaming is a knockout blow for GTV, but I disagree. Did anyone really think the networks were going to continue to give away their shows for free? I do not trust the networks AT ALL. I'm surprised more people aren't outraged over the networks bias toward one single product. I mean can't you just connect a netbook up to your TV and get their shows? Anyway, I didn't buy GTV to stream network tv shows for free. Here are some scenarios that I had in mind when I bought GTV:

- My DVR is set to record a tv series and it misses some episodes for what ever reason (tech glitch, power outage, guide conflict, etc.). As I'm settled in to watch an episode, and I notice it did not record properly, I want to be able to bring up the search bar and look for that episode online. If it's in Netflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu+, YouTube, or any other location, I don't really care. I'm even willing to pay a couple bucks for it, for my own convenience.

- Let's say there is a new series on tv that I didn't start watching right away, and it looks really good. I want to be able to catch up on past episodes, and then I will set my DVR to record the future showings. Again, I don't care where the episodes come from. Netflix, Amazon VOD, etc. If I have to wait a little longer for that particular series to show up on Netflix, I will do that.

- I subscribe to a number of YouTube shows (and it's growing), and the video quality is getting better and better. It's to the point now where these videos look really good on my HDTV using GTV, and I would rather view them on my TV than my computer monitor.

- I also want to be able to view a lot of the web video that is out there, for example video game reviews, etc. I can now do that on my TV as well.

- Lastly, I like to check blogs, Facebook, sports stats, etc.. during commercials when I'm watching live TV. GTV let's me do all of this.

So you see, the networks blocking GTV has little to no affect on me. As a matter of fact, it pisses me off that they would do it, and it makes me less likely to watch any of their programs. As of right now, the only show I watch on broadcast tv is The Office. My other favorite shows are on cable. And just for fun, here are the shows I currently watch:

- Sons of Anarchy (FX)

- Justified (FX)

- Breaking Bad (AMC)

- The Walking Dead (AMC)

- Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

- Eastbound & Down (HBO)

- True Blood (HBO)

- Burn Notice (USA)

- The Office (NBC)(this is the last season I'll be watching)

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 /forum/post/19448958

they don't seem to be detecting/blocking based on browser type.

They're not blocking on type but you do need some capabilities not in Firefox 3.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Someone on the Logitech forums posted that they now have Hulu+ on their Sony Blu-Ray GTV player. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmat /forum/post/0

I have the sam STB on Time Warner Cable in NY..... No problems whatsoever. Maybe faulty hdmi cable?

Thanks for the suggestion, will test a new one now. However if it was faulty, it would not work at all, and not intermittently..

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19450441

Someone on the Logitech forums posted that they now have Hulu+ on their Sony Blu-Ray GTV player. Can anyone confirm this?

Actually the person said his Sony Blu-Ray player with internet. I believe he's refering to the non-GTV blu-ray players.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat /forum/post/19449849

You know, I had no idea what a "HTPC" was before you started using it in every other word. I think most people would prefer a small little box which does what it does out of the box, and not some PC to be assembled.

A HTPC need not be assembled nowadays. The Dell Zino 410 series and the ASRock Core 100 and Vision 3D are much more powerful and flexible alternatives with a similar form factor (albeit, pricier and with some feature trade-offs).

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/19452230

A HTPC need not be assembled nowadays. The Dell Zino 410 series and the ASRock Core 100 and Vision 3D are much more powerful and flexible alternatives with a similar form factor (albeit, pricier and with some feature trade-offs).

Do these small form factor typically boxes support color space management?

Even the cheapest streamers can do YCC by virtue of generic consumer electronics friendly video management/controllers from folks like Mediatek etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat /forum/post/0

Actually they do, I was just told that I couldn't use Firefox to view that page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/19450292

They're not blocking on type but you do need some capabilities not in Firefox 3.

Good to know. I only tested the site on the desktop in the latest beta version of Chrome for what it's worth. It worked as expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the concept but the execution fails. Purchased Google TV from the Dish Network. Connected the Revue and began the installation process. The first four steps went great. Flound my wireless network and connected. Downloaded all the updates from the web. Then got to step five where I entered my Google login ([email protected]). Said I did not exist. Tried it on my computer and it worked fine. I figured I would create new account since it appeared something did not like my old account. Entered all the requested data and when I clicked Next, I received a message informing me that the Google servers could not be connected and to try again later. So I tried again later multiple times over the next 24 hours. Always received the same message.

So I packed up the Revue and all the cables, remote, and very poor user guide and sent it back to Dish. Very disappointed it did not work as my backup plan is to purchase a Vizo TV with Vizo apps which do not allow me to surf the web.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/19452319

Do these small form factor typically boxes support color space management?

Even the cheapest streamers can do YCC by virtue of generic consumer electronics friendly video management/controllers from folks like Mediatek etc.

Both Nvidia and AMD offer RGB and YCbCr output. AFAIK Nvidia only allows 4:4:4, but AMD will do 4:4:4 and 4:2:2.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrr /forum/post/19453045

Then got to step five where I entered my Google login (dennis_crowley@charter.net). Said I did not exist. Tried it on my computer and it worked fine. I figured I would create new account since it appeared something did not like my old account. Entered all the requested data and when I clicked Next, I received a message informing me that the Google servers could not be connected and to try again later. So I tried again later multiple times over the next 24 hours. Always received the same message.

Isn't a Google/ gmail account required? I don't have the GTV or Revue, but generally everything google ties into a gmail or google account.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hulu Plus($10) was just released on all Sony Bravia Internet capable devices. This includes Sony BDP-sX70 BR players and Sony Ethernet capable TVs.

PS3 already had it, but the Sony NSZ-GT1 GTV BR Player currently does not have it as an option in the Sony Recommends tab. I think that Hulu or Hulu+ will not be added to GTV devices until Google and Hulu work something officially out. Hopefully Sony can help accelerate this relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/0

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
So UPS actually seems to have lost my RMA to Logitech. Grrrr. Thankfully I always get my dropoff receipts after a bad experience before hand.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/19454582

So UPS actually seems to have lost my RMA to Logitech. Grrrr. Thankfully I always get my dropoff receipts after a bad experience before hand.

To bad - I never thought to check to see if the UPS return label I got from Logictech was insured - it wasen't necessary anyway - my Revue was sent back to Logitech and I had the credit 11 days later - I never even had to pay for the Revue because the charge and credit all happened within the same MasterCard billing cycle

Hope they either find your Revue or pay you for it soon - either way, it will probably take some extra time now - good luck

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yeah, 8 days for a UPS trace and then who knows how long to sort it out. Honestly I didn't check to see if it was insured either. I will dispute the charge if I have to, but Logitech is trying to be helpful about it so far.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Yeah, 8 days for a UPS trace and then who knows how long to sort it out. Honestly I didn't check to see if it was insured either. I will dispute the charge if I have to, but Logitech is trying to be helpful about it so far.
Yah - I've got to admit - Logitechs cust. serv. dept and the return process was the one of the more pleasant experiences I had with the Revue

·
Registered
64 Posts
It was already noted that Silverlight content is not available.

I went to BestBuy to check on my foreign TV stations on the Revue. Got a message plugin missing. To find out what plugin is missing, I tried a clean version of Chrome on my home PC. When I got to the website, Chrome displayed an error message indicating that a plugin was missing indeed and it asked to download Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin. Once I did that, I was able to watch videos from the site.

Question to Revue owners: can one download the missing plugin (WMP mentioned above)?

1061 - 1080 of 1827 Posts