AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1830 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here is another new GTV optimized site:

http://www.gtvhub.com/2010/11/08/rad...-tunein-radio/

I'll check it out later tonight if I get time. This is what I love about GTV, and this is why I am an early adopter. I get to watch this platform improve, right before my eyes. This is fun stuff. I really can't wait until the Android Market opens up for this.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdigital1 /forum/post/19455891

It was already noted that Silverlight content is not available.

I went to BestBuy to check on my foreign TV stations on the Revue. Got a message plugin missing. To find out what plugin is missing, I tried a clean version of Chrome on my home PC. When I got to the website, Chrome displayed an error message indicating that a plugin was missing indeed and it asked to download Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin. Once I did that, I was able to watch videos from the site.

Question to Revue owners: can one download the missing plugin (WMP mentioned above)?

As far as I know there are no plug-ins yet for the GTV, and I doubt there will be until the app store opens up or Google adds support for other video sources like Silverlight and WMV. For me, it has been a simple matter of using the search function on the Revue to find an alternative source for some of the WMV streams I use from time to time, like NASA TV HD, which I found on UStream.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/19455975

I'll check it out later tonight if I get time. This is what I love about GTV, and this is why I am an early adopter. I get to watch this platform improve, right before my eyes. This is fun stuff. I really can't wait until the Android Market opens up for this.

Rumor has it the Nexus One will get Android 2.3 this week.

The question is if the GTV will get it next then.

I guess that would depend on how much - if any - modifications Sony/Logitech has made to the basic GTV - I'm suspecting not much. But I haven't seen any actual comparisons.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm new here I just wanted to say well first I love Google tv but I just got the survey request t from logitech(probably because I preorders from there) and I filled it out, I was just wondering what u guys think Google tv needs to get? Here's what I've come up with: Of course obviously Hulu, nbc, abc, cbs. It needs to be able to search my Comcast on demand content and netflix available or even just my Que, it needs a forward button, copy and paste, make the tv picture in picture window adjustable in size, have it so you can switch that window and watch tv in the big one and surf in the small one, connect to a wireless printer, also make way more downloadable iptv/network widgets/apps/channels like the zinc or boxxee browsers, be able to download more customizable stuff like screensavers and such. Don't get me wrong I love the revue but these r things I've noticed that would be cool add ons. Also I just wantbto say the revue android app is awesome and I just got the revue mini controller wich is so sick, if it so well made and stylish and extremely functional. Why do u guys think could be improved/adde etc.?

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19456436

I'm new here I just wanted to say well first I love Google tv but I just got the survey request t from logitech(probably because I preorders from there) and I filled it out, I was just wondering what u guys think Google tv needs to get?

1) Support for other embedded video formats, as mentioned today in this thread, in Chrome.

2) An updated version of Netflix to bring it more in line with what is available on the Xbox. Search for movies and shows in Netflix, at least when you are in the Netflix app.

3) More supported codecs and file types in the Media Player.

4) Optimization of the Flash code to improve performance with non-video flash elements, like ads on many websites.

5) Integration with Scientific Atlanta/Cisco STBs.

6) Improve ability to manage bookmarks, like removing bookmarks to TV channels.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Good ideas volcano. I've just been reading a bunch of past pages from this forum, it amazed me how many people were unsatisfied with Google tv. I think its amazing. It's far from perfect, but its still way better than anything out there. I know I own a zeevee 100( don't ask me why, the remote is awesome though) a tivo, roku hd, Samsung 5500 blurry w internet @tv & Samsung apps, apple tv, and vaio htpc with zinc,hulu, boxxee browsers. The only ones I use besides the Samsung in my bedroom, is the Google tv and the vaio htpc wich I use for hulu,zinc,boxxee, and torrents, but the revue is where its at. I get to watch my hd cable then something pops in my head and I can seArch for it and surf while still watching cable and I can access my pc media too. If I wanted to do that on my htpc I would have to change input selection on my avr then wait a second, hop online and then go back. I don't get why people r doggin when this is the best iptv/media streamer/pc. It isn't perfect but just give it time.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19456845

Good ideas volcano. I've just been reading a bunch of past pages from this forum, it amazed me how many people were unsatisfied with Google tv. I think its amazing. It's far from perfect, but its still way better than anything out there. I know I own a zeevee 100( don't ask me why, the remote is awesome though) a tivo, roku hd, Samsung 5500 blurry w internet @tv & Samsung apps, apple tv, and vaio htpc with zinc,hulu, boxxee browsers. The only ones I use besides the Samsung in my bedroom, is the Google tv and the vaio htpc wich I use for hulu,zinc,boxxee, and torrents, but the revue is where its at. I get to watch my hd cable then something pops in my head and I can seArch for it and surf while still watching cable and I can access my pc media too. If I wanted to do that on my htpc I would have to change input selection on my avr then wait a second, hop online and then go back. I don't get why people r doggin when this is the best iptv/media streamer/pc. It isn't perfect but just give it time.

If you have read any of my posts, you'll see that I'm also pretty happy with the Revue. I can understand people being a little disappointed with some of the lack of features, but this thing can be upgraded indefinitely. I'm confident there will eventually be a media player app that plays all media formats, and that the Netflix app will be updated. What I'm really hoping for is search integration for my DVR. I'm somewhat confident that will happen as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 /forum/post/0

If you have read any of my posts, you'll see that I'm also pretty happy with the Revue. I can understand people being a little disappointed with some of the lack of features, but this thing can be upgraded indefinitely. I'm confident there will eventually be a media player app that plays all media formats, and that the Netflix app will be updated. What I'm really hoping for is search integration for my DVR. I'm somewhat confident that will happen as well.

Exactly. I bought the revue as a bet to the future if the platform. I know that as is the revue is half-cooked, but I'm betting that with the backing of google and the openness of the platform, the holes will be filled in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Aha, I think this is interesting.

Google TV appears, and what happens - the American networks freak out and try and block everything.

Whilst, in the United Kingdom - the BBC are gearing up to start an international web video on demand service where people can stream the BBC's programs legally (probably for a fee), including shows like "Top Gear" and "Doctor Who"

Telegraph article

Glad somebody gets with it

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat /forum/post/19460520

Aha, I think this is interesting.

Google TV appears, and what happens - the American networks freak out and try and block everything.

Whilst, in the United Kingdom - the BBC are gearing up to start an international web video on demand service where people can stream the BBC's programs legally (probably for a fee), including shows like "Top Gear" and "Doctor Who"

Telegraph article

If you think that is somebody who "gets with it," that's probably because you are not familiar with the actual cost this would entail to the British viewer.

First, everyone who owns a TV is required to pay an annual license fee of approximately $230 (equivalent) per year in order to simply receive any TV broadcast, whether it be from broadcast, cable,internet or satellite. The licensing fee in many other European countries is even higher, especially in Scandinavia where the fee is about twice that of the UK.

On top of that are whatever subscription fees one might elect to receive (cable, satellite, etc.) Even if one decided to drop their subscription services, this new service you mention would impose an additional fee of up to $10 PER EPISODE
of the most popular TV shows:

"It is estimated that global audiences would pay up to $10 for an episode of its most popular shows.

Mr Smith said: "Not only will that mean international fans of, for example, Doctor Who can get their fix legitimately [rather than downloading programmes illegally], but it has the potential of opening up a new revenue stream for the entire UK production industry, alongside sales to traditional broadcasters.

Luke Bradley-Jones, MD of Global iPlayer, said: "Our research has shown there is an international audience of British TV fans that are frequently watching TV online - and we are excited about rolling out our iPlayer VOD [video-on-demand] service to meet and grow this demand. We strongly believe the Global iPlayer is going to offer an excellent opportunity for the UK's creative industry to directly reach much sought after digital audiences and revenue streams around the world."

They "get it" already - but not in a good way.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat /forum/post/19460520

Before drawing that conclusion you should read up on iPlayer (which has nothing to do with Apple).

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Anyone know what BB's return policy is? I purchased mine on 10/29, so I need to make a decision.

I have read all the posts here, and my main complaint is lack of Dolby Digital output. This is really a deal breaker for me. I have spend good money on a decent sound system, and everything I watch is in HD with DD5.1. I've seen statements to the effect that Sony will provide DD, but what if that cannot be accompished with the current hardware?

·
Registered
127 Posts
30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW
Anyone know what BB's return policy is? I purchased mine on 10/29, so I need to make a decision.

I have read all the posts here, and my main complaint is lack of Dolby Digital output. This is really a deal breaker for me. I have spend good money on a decent sound system, and everything I watch is in HD with DD5.1. I've seen statements to the effect that Sony will provide DD, but what if that cannot be accompished with the current hardware?

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW /forum/post/19469049

Actually the Sony Blu-Ray with Google TV will NOT provide any 5.1 o any sort for the INPUT source. It's an issue they know about and are supposedly working on a fix for. It WILL provide full HD audio when playing a blu-ray disk.

The Logitech outputs PCM multichannel 5.1 from the input source thru HDMI, so it's a step in the right direction. I believe you can get DD5.1 if you use the optical connection from the Revue to your receiver.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW /forum/post/19469049

I am in the same boat.

If the DD 5.1 via HDMI issue is not corrected in the next few weeks, back it goes. Hope they fix it, because overall I like the unit.

sfin54

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just read a comparison of the three units on MacWorld

Early this year we dumped our cable company and went to internet streaming. We were waiting in hopes of GoogleTV... but....

We are trying to replace our old Windows laptop, now using a wireless signal from our Internet router to control our TV (we have no cable or dish). With it we can watch Hulu, Netflix, and major network TV shows (a day or a week later), for the most part. The main problem with the computer is the processor is slow and it takes up room in front of the TV with open screen and keyboard.

I was hoping Sony or Logitech Google TV would take its place with remote control and full internet access, but now I hear that it won't do pure iinternet and worse hulu, abc etc. are not, and may never be, available on them? If that is true, there's no point it buying one as far as I can tell. It defeats the purpose by making us MORE limited in our viewing options.

However, do I hear correctly that the new Apple iOS is going to allow me to send my Internet content through my iPad to an Apple TV, thus doing all I can now do on my Win Laptop? That would be a cheaper solution, the only thing missing would be the BluRay disk player that Sony offers....

Otherwise, if the iPad can't do that, then a Mac Mini might be a better solution. It can play HD DVDs... and be remote controlled.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferis /forum/post/0

Just read a comparison of the three units on MacWorld

Early this year we dumped our cable company and went to internet streaming. We were waiting in hopes of GoogleTV... but....

We are trying to replace our old Windows laptop, now using a wireless signal from our Internet router to control our TV (we have no cable or dish). With it we can watch Hulu, Netflix, and major network TV shows (a day or a week later), for the most part. The main problem with the computer is the processor is slow and it takes up room in front of the TV with open screen and keyboard.

I was hoping Sony or Logitech Google TV would take its place with remote control and full internet access, but now I hear that it won't do pure iinternet and worse hulu, abc etc. are not, and may never be, available on them? If that is true, there's no point it buying one as far as I can tell. It defeats the purpose by making us MORE limited in our viewing options.

However, do I hear correctly that the new Apple iOS is going to allow me to send my Internet content through my iPad to an Apple TV, thus doing all I can now do on my Win Laptop? That would be a cheaper solution, the only thing missing would be the BluRay disk player that Sony offers....

Otherwise, if the iPad can't do that, then a Mac Mini might be a better solution. It can play HD DVDs... and be remote controlled.

Consider the Boxee box. I have the logitech revue and I just bought the boxee box. The revue is not there YET. I think it will be, but not for a few months. I have a lot of my own media and the revue is not that good for my personal files AT THE MOMENT. The thing bout the revue and how it applies to yuo is that ideally it is an anjunct to your cable/satellite box. Google tv is not a replacement for cable it is an addition. The Boxee is not reliant on the STB and is more of a cable cutters box. Let me be clear IT IS NOT THERE YET EITHER, there is no Netflix yet or Hulu, but they are coming. Just my two cents.

1081 - 1100 of 1830 Posts