AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1830 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22354504

The GTVBox is on sale today, half price $1.49 so I purchased it despite the fact I don't have any local files to play. One price for all devices on my account, I have 3 so the price is certainly right per box.

question on how to use it.

I have a folder with multiple vob files like vts_02_0.vob, vts_02_1.vob,vts_02_2.vob, how is anyone supposed to know which file to select to play the movie?? This app does not support playing iso files either.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Mine has been doing strange things and I can honestly say at this point I don't like it.

While it is better then the Logitech Revue, I would say it is better but not by much.

If I go into certain apps like TuneIn Radio everything loads fine, but it can't connect to a single radio station. It just says connecting until it times out. Other streaming services do this as well. If I try the same on my Logitech Revue it works fine.

If I go to Netflix it loads but I see not text only two big boxes on the screen with a red background. I dont know which box to select to continue and dont want to randomly select one as I might select something I do not want.

I do like the remote, its better then the Boxee Box remote. I can type on it quite comfortably.

It still has the Google TV Curse where most popular tv shows are blocked from being viewed on it.

As I said... its better then the Logitech Revue, but I still feel its crap.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22357006

It still has the Google TV Curse where most popular tv shows are blocked from being viewed on it.

As I said... its better then the Logitech Revue, but I still feel its crap.

Not sure how this is the Google TV Curse. I got a message a traditional computer is required when I tried to access Hulu and some of the blocked network sites, not a message to use a different streaming box. Which streaming boxes can access those blocked sites? I know most can't even get there to be blocked since they don't have web browsers but if other streaming boxes can access the sites blocking Google TV I would like to know which ones can, if none can, this is certainly not a Google TV Curse. Since I am a cord cutter and wanted access to those blocked sites, I connected a computer to view programs from the blocked sites.

Google TV is basically a tablet computer without a screen but with HDMI in and out an Android operating system, a Chrome browser and apps specifically designed for accessing video from the web.. I can't understand all of the complaints, if you want what it does and can understand how to use it, it works great. If you don't want it does, I understand you wouldn't like it but the competition like Roku or Apple TV have nice apps and work fine but with very limited access to the things I want so those boxes are of no interest to me. I love my Google TV boxes and use at least one of them most days.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22368128

Not sure how this is the Google TV Curse. I got a message a traditional computer is required when I tried to access Hulu and some of the blocked network sites, not a message to use a different streaming box. Which streaming boxes can access those blocked sites? I know most can't even get there to be blocked since they don't have web browsers but if other streaming boxes can access the sites blocking Google TV I would like to know which ones can, if none can, this is certainly not a Google TV Curse. Since I am a cord cutter and wanted access to those blocked sites, I connected a computer to view programs from the blocked sites..

The ENTIRE POINT of GoogleTV is to bring the Internet to your TV.

It fails because it can't.

Want to watch NBC shows from the web on your GoogleTV? You cant.

Fox? Nope? ABC? Sorry! How about CBS? How about a big NO.

But I CAN do all of these things on my Boxee Box which also does have a browser.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22368301

But I CAN do all of these things on my Boxee Box which also does have a browser.

That makes no sense. Internet on TV is exactly what it does. Old broadcast TV shows are something else entirely. Besides many of us can not not keep up with live TV, movies, YouTube, Vimeo, etc., and have little use for re-broadcast TV.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22368301

The entire point of Google TV is to bring the Web to your TV and integrate traditional TV with web entertainment and it is unfortunate that some sites block Google TV, those choosing to block Google TV do so out of fear. I didn't say all streaming boxes didn't have web browsers, only that most don't. I had read Boxee Box was blocked from Hulu and that Boxee Box can't access Amazon Prime Instant Video or Amazon Instant Video, the web browser wasn't supported but things can change and maybe that is different now. I recall watching NBC.com with Google TV, using the generic browser but I haven't needed it a while and one of the other sites, Fox or ABC, was accessible as well the same way but again that may not be the case now. I use an antenna and TiVo for the networks and don't use Google TV, it is Hulu I wanted on Google TV that is blocked. I did compare Boxee Box to Google TV and Boxee Box was pathetic at that time for my needs but if Hulu is accessible and Amazon is accessible, it might be a good supplement for me if I can find one cheap.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22369377

The entire point of Google TV is to bring the Web to your TV and integrate traditional TV with web entertainment and it is unfortunate that some sites block Google TV, those choosing to block Google TV do so out of fear. I didn't say all streaming boxes didn't have web browsers, only that most don't. I had read Boxee Box was blocked from Hulu and that Boxee Box can't access Amazon Prime Instant Video or Amazon Instant Video, the web browser wasn't supported but things can change and maybe that is different now. I recall watching NBC.com with Google TV, using the generic browser but I haven't needed it a while and one of the other sites, Fox or ABC, was accessible as well the same way but again that may not be the case now. I use an antenna and TiVo for the networks and don't use Google TV, it is Hulu I wanted on Google TV that is blocked. I did compare Boxee Box to Google TV and Boxee Box was pathetic at that time for my needs but if Hulu is accessible and Amazon is accessible, it might be a good supplement for me if I can find one cheap.

By most accounts, GoogleTV has been a complete and utter failure. Consumers are not flocking to it for various reasons and the devices do not seem to be selling very well.

I hope this changes, but I highly doubt the content owners, which are blocking it out of fear (as you said), will change their ways anytime soon.

You have to admit that with pretty much all of the content owners shutting GoogleTV out, the remaining content is not really going to appeal to the mass market, though maybe you and I?

I keep looking at the new Sony NSZ-GS7 (or whatever the model# is) and and really want to buy it, but just cannot convince myself to make the purchase due to all of the downsides to GoogleTV in its current form.

I hate to say it, but GoogleTV seems like a poorly performing system, which is half baked, unfinished, and artificially hampered by both google and big content.

I was disappointed with the performance of the new sony box, having high hopes of what I had thouogh I had read was significantly improved hardware.

One question for you guys thouogh. It seems new GTV boxes have 1 HDMI input port, and no component nor composite, nor s-video. I can understand the lack of analog inputs to not have to have an analog to digital converter which would inicrease costs, but the single HDMI in seems a bit odd. If GoogleTV expects to be the aggregator of all content, then how do they expect consumers with even a single BD/DVD player and cable box to actually accomlish this? Do they expect folks to swap cales or provide their own HDMI switch and figure out how to get the GTV box to manage the HDMI switch?

I have been perplexed at the limited IO on the rear backplane of these devices.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Most people with a number of devices switch with a AVR.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The Sony has an HDMI in port for your cable box and an HDMI out to your TV. It doesn't use any more HDMI ports on your TV than your cable box would. Eventually, analogue ports will be gone in any case. The players that do have analogue connections will often have restrictions as to what they support (for instance Netflix won't play over component on the WDTV hub I suspect).

Philip

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22370256

By most accounts, GoogleTV has been a complete and utter failure. Consumers are not flocking to it for various reasons and the devices do not seem to be selling very well.

I hope this changes, but I highly doubt the content owners, which are blocking it out of fear (as you said), will change their ways anytime soon.

You have to admit that with pretty much all of the content owners shutting GoogleTV out, the remaining content is not really going to appeal to the mass market, though maybe you and I?

I keep looking at the new Sony NSZ-GS7 (or whatever the model# is) and and really want to buy it, but just cannot convince myself to make the purchase due to all of the downsides to GoogleTV in its current form.

I hate to say it, but GoogleTV seems like a poorly performing system, which is half baked, unfinished, and artificially hampered by both google and big content.

I was disappointed with the performance of the new sony box, having high hopes of what I had thouogh I had read was significantly improved hardware.

One question for you guys thouogh. It seems new GTV boxes have 1 HDMI input port, and no component nor composite, nor s-video. I can understand the lack of analog inputs to not have to have an analog to digital converter which would inicrease costs, but the single HDMI in seems a bit odd. If GoogleTV expects to be the aggregator of all content, then how do they expect consumers with even a single BD/DVD player and cable box to actually accomlish this? Do they expect folks to swap cales or provide their own HDMI switch and figure out how to get the GTV box to manage the HDMI switch?

I have been perplexed at the limited IO on the rear backplane of these devices.

It is unfortunate that some content is blocked but for my needs that is only a minor inconvenience since I use an antenna on the roof and TiVo for the networks. YouTube, ESPN3, Netflix, and Crackle are probably the most popular uses for Google TV. The many sites with public domain movies are very important to me, even a free app like Mitty allowed me to download a few 60 and 70 year old movies I wanted to see and couldn't find via streaming access. The first thing I did when I purchased Google TV was search for Matango, found it and was watching in a few minutes and much of which I view comes from sites only accessible by the web browser, you sure can't find that content with Roku or Apple TV or the others. South Park Studios is accessible by using the generic browser and has worked well for me. I provided links to dozens of sites accessible with Google TV earlier in this thread, a list maintained by Catfish Rivers, a Google TV user and member at Google TV Forums. Only a small fraction of what I do with Google TV is even possible with the other streaming boxes with no web browsers.

The YouTube app is probably used the most, it is the best access to YouTube I have found for my needs and Roku doesn't have a YouTube app. Yes Google TV hasn't succeeded by any stretch and I know Roku, simple and limited is more popular, I don't want limited and can easily deal with the complications of using Google TV for the simple reason it does so much more.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
^^ Google TV has ESPN3?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've noticed a number of people saying Spotify is not available for GTV... Spotify is available as an Android app, so couldn't it be installed on GTV?

Eddy

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22410378

^^ Google TV has ESPN3?
It does if your ISP and cable company support it, mine (Cox) does not. They used to but since they added "Watch ESPN" it no longer works for me.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeabone  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22434454

I've noticed a number of people saying Spotify is not available for GTV... Spotify is available as an Android app, so couldn't it be installed on GTV?

Eddy
No, GVT has access to a very limited number of Android apps, Spotify is not one of them.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22435166

It does if your ISP and cable company support it, mine (Cox) does not. They used to but since they added "Watch ESPN" it no longer works for me.

Here is what Play Store says for watch ESPN -

Logitech Revue

This item is not compatible with your device.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1770#post_22357006

If I go to Netflix it loads but I see not text only two big boxes on the screen with a red background. I dont know which box to select to continue and dont want to randomly select one as I might select something I do not want.

The box on the right is for kids. The one on the left for the general population. Choose whichever you fall into.

Netflix works great on my Sony. Even the Chrome browser is nice except for the way it handles bookmarks. Mind you I don't use it for watching TV shows as I have cable.

Plex is an excellent local content playback app.

I don't quite get the negative comments as I am really not an Android user but find the Sony GTV quite nice. It's not a general media player but it does quite well on a number of fronts.

The lack of DTS support, image playback and so on seem to be a minor issues. Same with HD-audio. People have BluRay players for that.

Philip

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just switched to Dish network from Directv.

Now when I try and set up the new set top box with gtv, I get a can not connect to the network message after I pass the "can you see the tv image" step.

It happened last night and this morning. Plus dish is supposed to be intergrated with dish. When I try and enable GTV and DISH intergration via my dish account, it tells me it's not supported.

Anyone else have any issues setting up a new box? I've noticed the Sat image is also much darker than directv.

What network is it trying to access during setup? IIs it a google or logitech server or something? I have internet etc as I am using gtv to write this.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What Dish receiver do you have? What GTV do you have? Logitech Revue integration is available for the 612/622/722/722k only. I personally never sprang for the extra $4/mo to integrate mine.

As for your Internet problem, are you hardwired or wireless? I know some people have done bizarre things such as hook their Dish receiver into the Revue, and let the Revue bridge itself and the receiver to a wireless network. Personally I hardwire everything that's bandwidth sensitive, such as streaming video.

1781 - 1800 of 1830 Posts