AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1827 of 1827 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does anyone here know if you can attach an external USB 2.0 blu-ray drive to the Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV box ?

I tried connecting a USB HDD and it does not work. Only flash drives seem to be able to get recognized.

Any help or pointers to the web for more information is most appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I tried the Vizio and the Sony just less than a year ago and found them buggy and very unresponsive. Is there a new google tv device on the market that is responsive?

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by work4mike  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1800#post_23489349

..I tried connecting a USB HDD and it does not work. Only flash drives seem to be able to get recognized.

Any help or pointers to the web for more information is most appreciated. Thanks!

Btw, is this non-powered HDD? if so, try to connected it via a “Y” usb-power-adapter or via powered-sub-Hub.

Also, check for hidden VCD (Virtual CD) partitions (& remove it). if not, check out this.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by work4mike  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1800#post_23489349

Does anyone here know if you can attach an external USB 2.0 blu-ray drive to the Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV box ?

I tried connecting a USB HDD and it does not work. Only flash drives seem to be able to get recognized.

No, @work4mike, you can't connect a USB BD to a GTV.

But USB HDDs should work as long as they are either AC-powered or draw a low-enough current from the GS7's on-board USB port.

I have both a 500-Gb Toshiba un-powered HDD and a 640-Gb WD Mybook powered HDD attached to my GS7. But it wasn't always that way:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/7402-usb-hd-causing-gtv-crash.html

Since the REL07 update in March, the problem has been solved.

You can also try connecting a non-powered HDD via a powered USB hub.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It sounds like GoogleTV is going to be replaced according to some info spotted on another GoogleTV forum.

The up coming Android 4 will change the platform to Android TV as it's name. Specifically Google services for TV on Android will probably be the GTV part on top of regular Android.

Various LG set top boxes running Android 4.2 based off the platform were demoed at a trade show. Plus Google employee responsible for GoogleTV title has changed to Android TV.

Whether this applies to the older boxes I've no idea but I hope it does. This is a good thing as there are way too many unofficial Android TV devices out there, may as well bring everyone into the fold and try to unify the mess.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1800#post_22453255

+1

You can add that the Sony GTV box Netflix app, while exactly the same as the one in the WD TV SMP, regularly crashes and forces a reset of the Sony. The WD TV SMP on the other hand almost never crashes.

All in all I was hoping this was going to be a good device but it is just a another P.O.S.

NOW it doesn't crash. Up until the latest update to the WDTV, a month or so ago, the Netflix app was crashing quite a bit for many. The last update seemed to have fixed it tho.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J  /t/1251018/official-google-tv-thread/1740#post_22262011

Asked and never answered. They simply did not do their homework before buying and now it is Google's fault.

Wow, I got a notification from this forum that I have not been on in a year.

I would have responded to post, but I never got the notification a year ago.

To answer your question, No, I did not check to see if it played DTS. But I would not check the sticker to see if a car came with brake fluid either. I have 4 of this type of media streamers and all played my videos without a glitch. The Google Play being more expensive, I just thought it would as well. Well, I was wrong, and as you point out to me, it’s all on me, not Google TV.

Buy the way, I got the new Comcast X1 box a month or so ago, and you would not believe what it won’t do. You can’t view the guide at 59 minutes before the hour, or it will freeze. The recording light comes on when it wants to even if it is not recording. It automatically resets the video and sound settings when it feels like it. Just to mention a few. But I went back and looked at the specs and nowhere did it say that it would hold the resolution, or that the recording light won’t come on when it wanted to, or the guide would not freeze. So foolish me. Also, when I listed the issues I had with the X1 did anybody accuse me of not looking to make sure it worked properly? No, I got help…

Look, I am not knocking the box in general. It is just that for what I used the box for and what you use it for must be two different things. For me, playing the DTS was just so important. It’s 90% of what I use it for. And maybe I am a fool, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a device like that that won’t play DTS. All my previous ones did. So therefore I did not specifically look at the list of what it can do for this. (I did not look to make sure the menus were in English as well, thank god they were, but that would have been on me as well.) And I know the Google TV does a lot more that what is listed on the box. So that my friends, is why I was very disappointed in the limitations of this box. And my only reason was that I wanted to watch my movies and I could not.

PS I am 60 years old and have not done homework in years. My bad!

1821 - 1827 of 1827 Posts