AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4600 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both AVR 254 and 354 models are available in July 08' as per Harman Kardon's website. Let me know if anything is incorrect or if updating is necessary and I'll try my best to make the corrections/updates.

AVR 254 introduction...

7 x 50W 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver with HDMI™ 1.3a Repeater, Audio/Video Processing and Upscaling to 1080p.

The Harman Kardon® AVR 254 is the most affordable Harman Kardon receiver to feature both Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding on the audio side, and Faroudja DCDi Cinema® video processing to 1080p on the video side. But there's plenty more to recommend the AVR 254, including three HDMI™ inputs, connections for external amplifiers, EzSet/EQ™ technology to fine-tune your system to the acoustics of your room, and an RS-232 port for future firmware upgrades. Perhaps the highest recommendation of all? As do all Harman Kardon A/V receivers, the AVR 254 features a high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth design for maximum fidelity.

AVR254 front panel is same as AVR 354, scroll down for a photo of the AVR354 front panel.

Official Harman Kardon AVR 254 page

AVR 354 introduction...

7 x 75W 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver with HDMI™ 1.3a Repeater, Audio/Video Processing and Upscaling to 1080p.

The AVR 354 includes a full complement of Dolby® and DTS® decoding technologies, HDMI™ repeater capability, Faroudja DCDi Cinema® processing, EzSet/EQ™ equalization and multiroom capability. It connects to a universe of digital and analog sources, as well as to external amps. And with The Bridge II docking station (included), it will even play, control and charge your iPod. To ensure that everything works together seamlessly, the AVR 354 features a full-color graphical user interface and an eight-device programmable remote. Harman Kardon® founder Dr. Sidney Harman has always believed technology should serve users, not intimidate them. The AVR 354 is a perfect case in point.

Official Harman Kardon AVR 354 page

Breakdown of AVR 254 and AVR 354 Feature Listings...(354 in BOLD)

Audio Section

• 50 Watts x 7, seven channels driven at full power at 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz,

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Firmware Check Sequence

Member QZ1 posted here for the firmware check sequence .

"From HK's Support page:

"With the AVR turned on, press the 1, 2, 3 and 4 buttons on the remote in that order; then press the SET button.

After a short pause, the software version number will appear on the AVR's front-panel display."

EDIT: The x54 line doesn't have a SET button; so, the OK button is used instead."

Issues with the PS3

Member Jayhawk11 started a thread here for issues regarding the HK x54 models with the PS3: Official H/K AVR X54 & PS3: Problems and Solutions .

reserved for other updates...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Great job! There are no dim buttons on any of the remote controls or the front plate that I could see. Do you go into some kind of menu to dim the display? Can it be done by looking at the front display on the receiver, or do you need to use a monitor? Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/14167976

Great job! There are no dim buttons on any of the remote controls or the front plate that I could see. Do you go into some kind of menu to dim the display? Can it be done by looking at the front display on the receiver, or do you need to use a monitor? Thanks.

I can't remember if you can do it without the onscreen or not, but if you have it set to dim it will brighten itself for a few second as the status changes ( volume, input,sound mode, etc.) then return to the dim setting, so you shouldn't have to go back and forth on the setting.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a Front Panel dimmer setting under System Settings Menu, page 52 for 254 and p55 for 354.

Here's a cut and paste of the 354 manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/14167976

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend /forum/post/14168286

Good job Mather!

Thanks, always appreciated the many well laid out threads started by others and decided to try to return the favor.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would not recommend buying these until the real shipment comes in starting the second week of July. It's obvious that there is something very wrong with the batch that was initially released.

Why else would a company release limited quantities? I have considered the fact that the Cirrus chip used inside may have been hard to obtain in large numbers, but come on now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I completley agree. I think the original batch was a limited release test batch. It really seems strange that Best Buy probably their largest customer has not recevied any at all. IMO I think that when BB gets them they will be fine with all the bugs out. They do not want to lose BB as a customer like they did with Circuit City.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14168440

Good to see someone has the time! BTW 354 has a learning 8-device remote.

Thanks, I updated the first post. Is it 8 device or 7? The manual stated seven.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh /forum/post/14168782

Wow! Very nice job mather! Nice to see a proper thread. You even got the spelling and model numbers correct!

LOL, yes, I had to do some double takes, I never thought it would be so difficult...Harman, Harmon, Kardon, Kardan, a simple HK would have made it so much easier.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman60 /forum/post/14168578

I completley agree. I think the original batch was a limited release test batch. It really seems strange that Best Buy probably their largest customer has not recevied any at all. IMO I think that when BB gets them they will be fine with all the bugs out. They do not want to lose BB as a customer like they did with Circuit City.

So far I had mine over a week now and no issues yet. So I guess I might have got one with little or no bugs so far, but then again I am not looking for any!

Nice Thread so far Mather!!

·
Registered
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacrobmer /forum/post/14169520

Also had mine a week and I love it, the sound of course is amazing, but the video is great too. No issues with mine either.

Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Logic 7 Music with Digital PCM is all screwy. Volume goes uppp and down its weird. PLII is fine.

Anyone with an Apple TV and these receivers, do your sound fx work through HDMI? Mine cut out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know there was discussion about the Logic 7 not acting right in the HK 745 thread. Not sure about the 247/347 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid05 /forum/post/14169738

Logic 7 Music with Digital PCM is all screwy. Volume goes uppp and down its weird. PLII is fine.

Anyone with an Apple TV and these receivers, do your sound fx work through HDMI? Mine cut out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather /forum/post/14168126

There is a Front Panel dimmer setting under System Settings Menu, page 52 for 254 and p55 for 354.

Here's a cut and paste of the 354 manual...

Thank you. It's just like my 7 year old 320. You need a tv/monitor just to dim the receiver's display. No hard button to do this simple thing. Those who buy these receivers for music only for their bedroom can forget about turning off the display.

1 - 20 of 4600 Posts