AVS Forum banner

17781 - 17800 of 20134 Posts

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
To me, "boutique" brands are ones which charge far more than they're worth just because they're perceived to be of "high quality". Almost everyone recognizes the Monster name, but relatively few people realize that their prices are unjustified. Using them as an example is also a way to provide a bit of a shock to people who equate price with quality.
not sure how you can make the assertion that their costs are unjustified without knowing their costs

I would hear that all the time in my industry about certain brands but it just was not true. The "better" brands tend to work on the same margins. The tend to incur different costs.

what they are worth are what someone is willing to pay, there is no universality outside of this

and yeah, I know you were just trying to say but it was so inaccurately phrased that I did honestly chuckle.

I still find it mesmerizing that so many here have such a disdain for people with opposing preferences.

You never find this on the high end sites. No one insults you there if you choose to use Monocrap or Audiocrap.

Curious study in human nature it is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, no need to get into it, I like your posts, I just approach things a little differently.

·
Registered
15,132 Posts
We're talking about copper wires here. We all know the costs aren't anywhere near what Monster charges.

Cost isn't even a consideration on the high end sites, so it's never a point of contention. The more they spend the more secure they feel, which is one of the great things about capitalism. You can make as much profit as you want as long as psychology works in your favor.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Monster cables are just higher-end brand name. They are significantly higher in quality. For example, when I was comparing an S-Video cable for my DVD Recorder, the more expensive Monster THX series resulted in sharper picture and richer colors. Not sure what the term boutique means, as far as I know butiques are usually associated with a fancy little shop (or chain of shops) such as the ones in Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hill, or better yet...Apple Stores.

·
Super Moderator
16,065 Posts
Ok. Let's take the cable discussion to the many existing thread and go back to helping individuals pick a new player.

Thanks.

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
17 Posts
What do I need? Blu Ray Player? Media server?

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need?

I have a 5.1 54" Vizio sound bar + sub + satellite speakers. Recognizes Dolby Digital, and DD+.
I want to get the most out of my audio/video with this setup.

DTS HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD can be played on these speakers, as long as the player does the decoding, correct? So that means it will be HTS MA or TrueHD on my speakers, or does that mean it dumbs it down to regular ole Dolby Digital?

What is a good recommendation for a blu ray player that has the capabilities of decoding the above formats? Also, If I have movie files (ISO, mkvs etc..) stored on my PC or external drive, is there a way of playing that on the blu ray player? If not, what would I need to be able to play those?

I guess I'm a little confused. I'd like to have something that can play blu ray discs, or movie files I have stored. Does that exist? Is there anything under the $200 price range?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong category.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got the Panasonic DMP-BD85, and just in the last two weeks I've gotten the The Hunger Games catching Fire Blu-Ray, and it refuses to play. It'll play the menus and even the special features, but won't play the movie itself. I bought a second copy and it does the same thing.
I looked up the firmware, but it only lists a DMP-BD85P, which I'm not sure is the right model.
I tried making update firmware discs with what I could find and wound up with 2 discs that when I put them in I get an unsupported message.
Next step is trying to find a lan cable long enough and do a firmware update through a direct connection.
The Blu-ray performance of the BD85 is great, If I do need to get a new player will the newer ones perform as well as the BD85, and which one gives me the best performance for the money?
Its not a super high end system and feeds to an older Samsung 40" LCD display.

·
Super Moderator
16,065 Posts
To burn a disc using Windows Vista or above for Panasonic, you need to use a free burning program like CDBURNERXP.

S~

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need?

I have a 5.1 54" Vizio sound bar + sub + satellite speakers. Recognizes Dolby Digital, and DD+.
I want to get the most out of my audio/video with this setup.

DTS HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD can be played on these speakers, as long as the player does the decoding, correct? So that means it will be HTS MA or TrueHD on my speakers, or does that mean it dumbs it down to regular ole Dolby Digital?

What is a good recommendation for a blu ray player that has the capabilities of decoding the above formats? Also, If I have movie files (ISO, mkvs etc..) stored on my PC or external drive, is there a way of playing that on the blu ray player? If not, what would I need to be able to play those?

I guess I'm a little confused. I'd like to have something that can play blu ray discs, or movie files I have stored. Does that exist? Is there anything under the $200 price range?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong category.
Sony Blu-ray players tend to support more audio and video file formats (both over the network using DLNA and from a USB drive) than most other players and can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA into stereo PCM. A Sony BDP-S5200 costs less than $100.

Exactly what model of soundbar do you have?
What kinds of connections does it have?

Different soundbars and different connections support different audio transmission methods. If the soundbar can accept multichannel PCM over HDMI, then you'll get full quality multichannel audio if the Blu-ray player can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA into PCM. However, even being decoded and downmixed into PCM stereo will sound fine. Soundbars really can't provide multichannel surround sound unless they're supplemented by additional speakers toward the back of the room.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Selden, thanks for the response.
I have the Vizio 54" soundbar with sub and satellite speakers. 5.1. Recognizes dolby digital and dolby digital plus. s5451 c2
I use HDMI in on the soundbar.

So If I have a blu ray player that decodes TrueHd and DTS HD MA, does that mean I am getting that audio quality in my speakers, or does that mean it dumbs it down to dolby digital??

Also, with that Sony S5200, I can plug an external hard drive to it via usb, and it'll read movie files from it? (.mkv or ISO??)

·
Super Moderator
16,065 Posts
Blu-ray players do not support .iso You'll need a media player or HTPC.

S~

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Hey Selden, thanks for the response.
I have the Vizio 54" soundbar with sub and satellite speakers. 5.1. Recognizes dolby digital and dolby digital plus. s5451 c2
I use HDMI in on the soundbar.
Vizio must have several different 54" soundbars. Exactly what model do you have? The one I found directly supports both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD -- model S5430-C2.
So If I have a blu ray player that decodes TrueHd and DTS HD MA, does that mean I am getting that audio quality in my speakers, or does that mean it dumbs it down to dolby digital??
It decodes the audio into high resolution PCM, so you'll get the same quality.

Also, with that Sony S5200, I can plug an external hard drive to it via usb, and it'll read movie files from it? (.mkv or ISO??)
MKV and M2TS are supported, but not ISO. The studios made all of the BD manufacturers remove ISO capability.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Oppo 83 still solid? I have a smart LG plasma on the way and since I don't game I'm going to sell the PS3. I'd really like SACD Capability. 83s can be gotten for around 200. In your opinion are they still a solid player?

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,965 Posts
Oppo 83 still solid? I have a smart LG plasma on the way and since I don't game I'm going to sell the PS3. I'd really like SACD Capability. 83s can be gotten for around 200. In your opinion are they still a solid player?
It was discontinued in 2010. For SACD it is probably fine. For Blu-ray, we have seen reports of recent discs not playing. OPPO released a firmware update to fix one such problem a few months ago, but there will be other issues with new discs.

-Bill

·
Registered
84 Posts
Entry Level vs Mid level bluray

I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,965 Posts
I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?
They will be very similar.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think characterizing all blu-ray players from manufacturers such as Sony & Panasonic as "entry level" is a huge mistake. I stand by my Sony BDP-S1000ES as NOT being "entry level" in any aspect of its performance. I respectively suggest you would be wasting a significant amount of money on an Oppo player unless there are specific features in said Oppo player that you are determined to have that are not available on other player models from major manufacturers such as Panasonic or Sony.

17781 - 17800 of 20134 Posts