AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2037 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my tv (Sharp Aquos 37" LCD) only has RCA sound output. I use HDMI to connect my bluray and cable box to my tv. Should I just be looking for soundbars that accept RCA audio input, or can I use two digital audio inputs (i.e. one from bluray, one from cable box) despite the fact that HDMI is hooking them up to the tv?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB824 /forum/post/21032462

So my tv (Sharp Aquos 37" LCD) only has RCA sound output. I use HDMI to connect my bluray and cable box to my tv. Should I just be looking for soundbars that accept RCA audio input, or can I use two digital audio inputs (i.e. one from bluray, one from cable box) despite the fact that HDMI is hooking them up to the tv?

Thanks for the advice.

You have multiple choices. You can look at soundbars that offer two optical inputs allowing you to connect audio to the soundbar and video via HDMI to the TV. You can also consider bars that function as the HDMI switcher, where you connect your components via HDMI to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV. There are also hybrids that have at least one HDMI input plus one optical input. And of course, there are bars that have RCA inputs. Lots to choose from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking to select a soundbar for a master bedroom, and was hoping to get some advice - below are my criteria:

- $500 or less, and ideally $350 or less

- Room is 15 x 15

- Clarity of dialogue is most important and overall sound quality would also be nice - power is not as important

- Features such as lib sync adjustment, dynamic range control, night mode, having a wireless sub, and multiple HDMI inputs are nice to have but none of them are essential

Any recommendations and why?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Samsung PN58C8000 and a DirecTV box, connected by HDMI. It is located in the "great room" of a ranch, so there's a vaulted ceiling. There is a corner formed by a 6' and 12' wall. The TV is not centered in this corner, but off to the right along the 12' wall by a couple of feet, and partially angled to fit in the corner. Beyond the 6' and 12' walls are open pathways to other areas (dining, kitchen, etc. - typical ranch). The overall living room area would be about 14' by 18'. I sit on a couch about 9' away.

I am looking for a soundbar. I am not at all averse to as much surround capability as I can get, but the real driving force behind the soundbar is articulation of the spoken word. I always find it difficult to make out dialogue - even day to day with live people. On my previous 50" Samsung, I achieved success around 2008 with the small Sony system - I think it's the HT-CT100. This gave me sufficiently clear dialogue, but I did feel that the volume was occasionally lacking - and I didn't even get decent stereo out of it, let alone surround.

My budget is pretty flexible.

Thanks very much for the help,

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just bought a 50inch Panansonic Plasma and wan to get a soundbar to compliment it. I was leaning towards the Vizio VBS200, but wanted some thoughts.

My room is on the smaller side - TV is 11 feet away from couch. And that is against the wall - the room dimensions are like 10 by 12.

I live in an apartment building with hardwood floors, so I think a sub might be out of the question.

I do not have a a receiver, but will be getting sound from 3 sources (bluray, dtv box and xbox).

As with other people here, I hate it when the music from a movie is at a 10 and the sound is at 3, so something that will let me hear dialgue clearly is a must.

Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm contemplating a Bose Lifestyle 135 soundbar to replace my rather archaic sound system that is slowly biting the proverbial dust and to improve on the rather dismal sound that my new LG 47LW5700 HDTV produces from it's built-in speakers.

My only hesitation (apart from the price - ouch) is Bose's lack of audio out connectors. I do sometimes like to feed my system to my PC to expedite recording of its output.

It does have headphone out behind the door at the front which is the only possibility I can see that might work. I would be using it for its designed purpose as I often like to use my wireless headphones, but am wondering if it could also replace the audio out jack that I was hoping Bose would include in the back panel of the unit...and didn't.

I realise that systems designed to be compact like this will always have limitations compared with full home theatre systems which I want to avoid as I'm fed up with their bulk and clutter.

Thoughts anyone?

Edit: note to Moderators, I just realised that this probably would be best placed in the general Soundbars section so feel free to move it. Thanks and sorry ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a receiver already and was looking for a good soundbar. I can do a wired sub to go with it. What are the best soundbars if you already have a receiver? My room is approximately 18x18. Surround is not all that important to me since I've got a good 5.1 setup in the living room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Panny S30 and a Yamaha RX-V371 reciever. I am looking for a soundbar with a sub that I can run through my reciever. I would like to keep cost under $800.00.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Darin

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those with receivers and looking for passive bars we absolutely love our definitive technology ssa-50 (while we loved the sound before we had a sub adding one certainly made a difference; we went with a cheapish onkyo sub). I'm not sure why the price is still so high on the sound bar though, I was pretty sure they were discontinued some time ago which is why we got ours for half price. In fact, I'm actually in this thread today simply to find something similarly decent for my mom's basement rebuild but the def tech is prohibitively expensive for their needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have the Samsung LED TV in the living room - needless to say the on board speakers "leave a bit to be desired". Not looking for anything spectacular (have a decent setup in the basement), but would like a bit more quality.

Are any of the Samsung soundbars (with sub) worth considering? Already have a BluRay player (also Samsung) so I'm down to (2) remotes (Samsung TV remote and DirecTV), would be nice not to have another one out to misplace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

New here and wondering if anyone has any experience with 2.1 or 3.1 sound bar systems, specifically the Sharp HT-SL70. We were considering adding 5.1 surround to our living room, but our current kitchen remodel project has essentially nixed that idea for the time being.

Living room is not ideally suited for "nice" sound anyway, as TV is in the corner with of a room with a dead-center fireplace no back wall (it leads to the kitchen) and a very porous side wall (double doorway and hallway). The missing walls has me thinking that a 2.1 or 3.1 sound bar might be a better setup. Would prefer to mount a sound bar above TV using Universal Mounting Brackets. TV is a Sharp 52" LED, so looking for something slim.

Our existing basement HT is really where we should look to invest our money. It's a system that we rigged up ourselves (with help from Best Buy) about 8 years. Sounds great, but no HDMI, and currently the "domain" of our 14 year old son when he feels like playing Xbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking for an inexpensive ($100-150), powered soundbar for my bedroom TV (Toshiba 40E200U). It needs to be within 5"x5"x32" dimensions, and it needs to have an optical input. I was considering a refurbished Boston Acoustics TVee Model 20 for $139, but it only has an RCA input. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixzlizx /forum/post/21101370

I'm looking for an inexpensive ($100-150), powered soundbar for my bedroom TV (Toshiba 40E200U). It needs to be within 5"x5"x32" dimensions, and it needs to have an optical input. I was considering a refurbished Boston Acoustics TVee Model 20 for $139, but it only has an RCA input. Thanks for any suggestions.

Look at the Vizio VSB200. Not sure of its dimensions but it's not big. There's a whole long thread here about it. Most everyone that has it seems to love it and it's under $100.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/21101779

Look at the Vizio VSB200. Not sure of its dimensions but it's not big. There's a whole long thread here about it. Most everyone that has it seems to love it and it's under $100.

Unfortunately, the VSB200 is 39.6" wide, at least according to the specs I've found online.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustNotSleep /forum/post/20999235

I've been researching and so far these have caught my attention:
  1. Yamaha YAS-101BL: $250 - http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101.../dp/B005IVUWHW
    • Cheap, light (less shipping costs) but no subwoofer, so I'm not so sure on the sound quality
  2. Yamaha YHT-S400: $399.95 - http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...dp/B002ZG7WIA/
    • Came out in Dec. '09, the predecessor of the S401, which is why it's so cheap right now
    • Although cheap, it's the absolute most I'd be willing to spend
    • Weighs a lot because of the subwoofer, so higher shipping costs
    • Best sound quality?
  3. Sony HT-CT150: $211.50 - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT150-.../dp/B003C1AO2I
    • Very cheap
    • Massive subwoofer, weighs a ton
    • Lots of I/O ports
  4. Sony HTCT550W: $329.02 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MF7A02/
    • Just saw this, how does it improve on the CT150?

Which one of these would you recommend for me? If the difference in sound is THAT much more between the CT150 and say the HTCT550W or YHT-S400, I might go for the more expensive ones. Otherwise, I could settle for the CT150.

Are there any other options I'm not looking into? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

We have had a Yamaha YHT-S400 for 9 months, and we absolutely love the sound quality. If you're interested in more discussions on the pros and cons, see the owner's thread on this forum. Also note that Fry's has had the S400 for a mere $299 for the last several days (just checked again before making this post)!

That said, with a 24" TV, you may want to check the measurements on these units. All of these will be wider than your TV. Not sure if that's an issue....

Other considerations:
  • The YAS-101BL only has optical and coax inputs, meaning you won't get to experience HD lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA).
  • The YHT-S400 and Sony CT 150 will take up to 7.1 HD lossless audio provided that your Blu-ray decodes it to linear PCM and sends it via HDMI.
  • The Sony CT550 adds internal decoding for HD lossless audio and an FM tuner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a sharp 52". I also have a WD HD media player. I download a lot of blu rays. large files ranging from 4 to 8gb. I need a sound bar that will produce the correct sound. preferably something with HDMI. this is my first time looking into something like this so I'm not sure how much more info I should provide. currently have an onkyo rt 6667 receiver but am having problems with it and prefer to go with a Soundbar. thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/21032846

You can also consider bars that function as the HDMI switcher, where you connect your components via HDMI to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV.

this sounds like something I need. any suggestions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So is the HT-CT150 soundbar the best for its price range? 200-250 is about what I'm looking to spend unless I can get significantly more value at a 300 tag.

Have a 42 inch sharp mounted to flat panel TV stand (soundbar will go directly under I guess, plenty of room to fill on the top shelf). Apartment living room not huge, moderately spacious (couch is about 8-10ft away).

Only place I could relaly place the subwoofer would be on the right or left of the stand. Would this not be an ideal placement or does it matter?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Looking at purchasing an LG Tv soon for my mom. It will be her first LCD TV and I'm sure she will not like the sound quality. Therefore, I'm also looking for a soundbar. She will not like a separate remote.

Are there any soundbars that will attach to the headphone jack on the TV so that the TV remote's volume control will actually control the volume? It would also be best if the soundbar was always on or turned itself on when if sensed sound from the TV.

I'm sure this is asking a lot but there must be something available. Any suggestions? Not really looking for surround sound or simulated surround - just normal stereo.

21 - 40 of 2037 Posts