AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1956 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another desperate scream for the help.
I have 42”Philips 7 series smart TV in my bedroom, and decide to invest some money in upgrade of sound.
I looking for budget soundbar ( around 300 US). I am from Europe, so, please consider that if you will recommend me something.
Requirement– HDMI (ARC), preferable separate Sub unit and compatible with my TV.
Right now I was checking out these products:
Panasonic SC-HTB580
Denon DHT-S514
LG NB4530A
Sony HTCT260H
Philips HTL5120/12
Philips HTL6140B
Philips HTL5140B
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably a silly question but, do all soundbars use their own amp? Wondering if I will need to use the "Pre Out" on my receiver or can I use the receivers AMP to power the speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently purchased a Denon 1912 AVR and am looking for a passive soundbar to hook up to this. I would like to have "virtual sourround sound" or a soundbar that will best allow me surround sound. I cannot go with seperate speakers as the room is too small and doesnt allow for proper set up.

Everywhere I look seems to only talk about active soundbars.

Is there a soundbar I could hook up to my AVR?

Thanks!
Old thread I know but Zolivar, did you ever find a good passive sounbar?

Anyone have suggestions?

Is there any huge quality differences in sound for active vs passive soundbar?

Bueller?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have another!

1. Denon DHTS514
2. Samsung HWF750
3. Harmon Kardon SB 26
4. LG NB5541

I have no idea if this thread is still alive, but I urge you all to come back for one last fight! The fight to let me know what's right!!!!!!! To fight FOR FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, what would be the things to look for if I wanted it to actually reproduce surround sound not just mimic it.... What price range would I be looking at?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Also, what would be the things to look for if I wanted it to actually reproduce surround sound not just mimic it.... What price range would I be looking at?
From my search, I think it would be futile to try to find a true surround-sound soundbar as you describe. You are so much better off just getting a good 5.1 speaker system if surround sound is your goal. Given the proper room size, I do believe it's possible to buy an acceptable 2.1 soundbar, and this is where I concentrate my own search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Help - Giant Open Room Soundbar guidance needed!

Hi Folks,
I have one of those impossible family rooms. I'm attaching pictures as well. It has 16ft vaulted ceilings, is 16' X 22' with an open back and open left (both to wide open rooms).

To further complicate things, the TV is in the far right in a cubby hole (I will be upgrading and mounting a 55" though so I won't need to worry about height of soundbar). I have a Dennon AVR 1912 already with airplay but unsure if I will need it. Along with that I have Cable box, dvd player, and a cd player.

I don't hear the best when it comes to dialogue so the TV speakers aren't cutting it. Viewing distance from TV is 14-15' approximately. Main use would be for TV 85% of the time and music 15%. I'm dealing with a big WAF as this is our main great room/family room and we already have a media room.

*** Budget is approximately $1,500 (I can increase a bit more if needed, however for a soundbar I'd rather not).

Considering a Sony HT-ST7, Yamaha YSP-4300, and GoldenEar Technology SuperCinema 3D Array Soundbar (GE 3D array). Any others I should consider given the above? The Bose CineMate 1 SR just dropped to $1,000 however it seems the others have better features/sound from reviews I have read - thoughts?

So it is my understanding that the Yamaha YSP-4300 bounces sound off walls, ceilings, etc. to create a very dynamic effect with surround sound. HOWEVER - given I have a lack of walls on two sides and a vaulted ceiling, won't that just be a dealbreaker in my room?

The Sony HT-ST7 sounds like it has quite a few features minus airplay (but it does have bluetooth connectivity). It also does 7.1 supposedly. I have read some reviews where folks really liked that you can turn the dialogue up on the soundbar to make voices clearer when listening to movies, etc. Thoughts on this compared to others? I'm leaning this way just given the dialogue feature.

GoldenEar 3D array is passive so I would use my Denon AVR 1912 with it and I would need to a solid subwoofer as well. I have a read a few reviews on it. I'm not sure where I could even go to hear it in a store though. It would mean an extra remote given the AVR, however I would get my airplay feature as we are an apple household.

If anyone has any thoughts on the room and soundbars I'm considering, I would LOVE to get any/all feedback from folks.

Thanks in advance,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
To soundbar or not to soundbar?

I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...
I would suggest the Harman Kardon SB 26, a really great sound bar! I live in a condo and it is perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-sound-bars/logik-l37spb14-soundstage-21812978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxell-mxsb-250-soundbar-tv-speaker-maxell-soundbar-tv-speaker-mxsb-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-sound-bars/logik-l37spb14-soundstage-21812978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxell-mxsb-250-soundbar-tv-speaker-maxell-soundbar-tv-speaker-mxsb-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Soundbar

Hello, I have a corner setup (please see attached image), with the TV angled towards the centre of the room. The TV stand sits parallel to the wall next to a fireplace.

Could someone please advise if a soundbar would be a good idea with this room setup, bearing in mind the soundbar won't be pointing in the same direction as the TV, i.e. it will sit straight on a stand and therefore be angled at approximately 20-35 degrees to the left pointing directly at the opposite wall.

Also, where would the best position be for the subwoofer placement?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.
I went with the Logik. It is basic, has L/R RCA, optical, headphone and DAB. I'm using it in conjunction with a small media player box which has an AV and S/PDIF out. The S/PDIF is actually a 3.5mm jack that you plug in a mix cable, which has RCAs on the other end. I have it set to running 2.1, with some upmixing via my device. It does fairly well, noticeably better than the television speakers. There's several EQ presets which sound like they should.

I don't believe it offers any DTS, DT or AC3 type decoding.

For what is roughly $40, I think it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
I haven't been able to find an answer in this thread after pouring through it for one of the original questions. Is there a soundbar made that is passive? I have an extra AVR in the cabinet below my flat panel and I would like to use it with a sound bar. I also have an extra subwoofer so this setup is ideal. Are there any passive sound bars offered today? Also, if passive is not available, what very small speakers are out there that are as small as the Gallo's but not in the same price class? I only need this for clarity of the spoken word as I am old and my flat panel speakers are not good and it's hard to hear the diction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.
Unfortunately this might be a very tall order, a soundbar alone is going to have small speakers and thus not be able to produce much bass without a sub-woofer which is why most of them offer one as an option. The addition of a soundbar will give you much better sound when it comes to vocals and some will give you a surround sound effect.

921 - 940 of 1956 Posts