AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2037 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I bought my mom a 55" sony LED for thanksgiving and paired it with the Panasonic HTB520. I liked it ok, but didn't really get to experience it. I am now at the In-Laws and we just ordered a 70" Sharp LED. I am looking for the best solution in the $500 or under area. We need something that is front surround like a soundbar/Woofer, 3.1 System, etc. but we want it directionally away from the TV and not from the rear because that would carry towards bedrooms and stairs...

So far I have narrowed to Pan HTB520, Vizio VHT215, Sharp HE HTSB600, Samsung HWD550, and Sony CT550W.

Any other Ideas I am open but want HDMI ARC support and if another setup please include reciever and speaker #s.

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
6 Posts
After speaking to someone from Crutchfield the recommended soundbar I should get for my room is a Polk Audio 400 which is $750. I wanted to get some individual opinions before dropping that much money on it.

You can see my room layout and dimensions in the attached file. I also have an TV: LG 55" LW6500

Receiver: Onkyo HT-R550 (Not currently being used)

everything is being watched from my HTPC including blu-ray and a CETON cable card tuner.

I really want to get a surround sound effect without having to wire the room as there is no simple way to wire the space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi my friends, i have just a single question. I have to choose between this 2 SoundBars:

1) VIZIO VHT510

2) YAMAHA YSP-3050

I get both at the same price, Yamaha seems to be a lot more robust, but Vizio seems to be more beauty, and is real 5.1 with just few cables on subwoofer

What do you think?? wich one should i chose for the same price???

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - I have a very high-quality two-channel stereo setup and would like to add a sound bar to handle the center and surround channels.

This appears to be a difficult google search (probably because I don't know the jargon for what this item would be!).

The Yamaha YSP-2200 etc have a "3-beam" mode which seems like it might do the trick.

The sound bar needs to do the 5.1 audio decoding, as my two-channel setup doesn't have any of that.

Your thoughts and product recommendations appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, my wonderful wife gave me a 46" Toshiba LED for Christmas and I am now in the market for a sound bar. I have searched this forum and have had a time trying to find precise information on a "buyer's guide" to sound bars.

I would like to stay in the $200-400 range and have been looking at the Polk Audio HST-3000.

I demoed it at Best Buy and was impressed, but it didn't blow my socks off.

What others are comparable out there, what concerns do I need to have regarding audio.

My plan is to run HDMI from my sat. receiver and Blu ray player to my TV, then run Optical from the TV to the SoundBar, will that work well?

I am confused about this lossless stuff that has been mentioned.

This TV will be used primarily in the family room for watching news, network shows, and sports, so audio clarity and volume comes before deep booming base.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardawg /forum/post/21437113

Okay, my wonderful wife gave me a 46" Toshiba LED for Christmas and I am now in the market for a sound bar. Congratulations!

I would like to stay in the $200-400 range and have been looking at the Polk Audio HST-3000.

What others are comparable out there, what concerns do I need to have regarding audio.

My plan is to run HDMI from my sat. receiver and Blu ray player to my TV, then run Optical from the TV to the SoundBar, will that work well?

I am confused about this lossless stuff that has been mentioned.

There are several good soundbars out there in that price range. The Sony HT-CT150 has received many kudos in this forum, as has the Vizio VHT215. There are a few Polk models in your price range (the SurroundBar 3000 and 4000) as well as a couple of Yamaha offerings (the YAS-101 and the YHT-S400).

Thanks for any and all input!

So, other than finding the soundbar which sounds best to you, what else should you consider? It may come down to inputs: The Sony, Vizio, and Yamaha YHT-S400 have HDMI inputs, plus other digital and analog inputs. With HDMI inputs, your sat receiver and Blu-ray would both connect into the soundbar, and a single HDMI cable would run from the bar to the TV.

The advantage of these over the Polk models and the Yamaha YAS-101 -- which have to take optical out from your TV -- is that HDMI will provide all available digital channels from the source material. If you have a 6.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio track on a Blu-ray disc, the best that your TV could send over optical would be a 2-channel stereo signal. That's because that is the only format that both your Blu-ray and TV can speak when they negotiated their HDMI connection. If your TV can decode Dolby Digital internally, it may pass that 5.1 signal from your satellite receiver through the TV's optical output, but this seems to be hit and miss with many TVs. Two-channel stereo from your Blu-rays (and probably even from your DVDs) isn't going give you the same audio impression as the native, multi-channel formats.

Lossless audio simply means that the compression algorithm used to condense the audio for storage on the disc does not have to discard (i.e., lose) any of the information. "Lossy" formats like Dolby Digital and DTS actually discard elements in the original audio that most of our ears wouldn't discern. But that said, I can say from experience that the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on the DVD of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" doesn't have the depth and nuance of the DTS-HD MA track on the Blu-ray copy of the movie.

All this aside, any of the soundbars I mentioned can be a good choice if it sounds good to your ears and provides the inputs that you want to have. You may also want to decide whether it's important to have a separate subwoofer, and if so, if it needs to be wireless.

In my case, I chose the Yamaha YHT-S400, because I was replacing an older, stereo AV receiver. I wanted HDMI inputs for my cable box and Blu-ray, an analog input for my MP3 player, and an optical input so that I could run the audio from our Wii (which connects directly into the TV) from the TV into the soundbar. And with two very active, 30-pound dogs, I didn't want anything on the floor.

Your needs and preferences will lead you to the best choice for you!

UPDATE: After researching a bit more, it is not clear whether the Vizio VHT215 will accept high-definition audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or multi-channel PCM). As for the "lossy" formats, it can only decode Dolby Digital, not DTS. The only way you will get true HD sound from your Blu-ray is if the unit will accept multi-channel PCM (like the Sony and Yamaha YHT-S400 will), but I cannot find any info online saying whether it will or will not accept this format over HDMI. Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you MTSIndy, you addressed my post perfectly. I am definitely going to go with one that provides HDMI switching, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
my room is 20x15. it has an 18ft ceiling. the TV sits in the middle of the front wall above the fire place. it is a 51 inch samsung..umm something or other can not recall.

The back wall of the room is only 4.5 ft high. Past the back wall it opens up into the kitchen.

The right side of the room is all windows.

What would be a good sound bar for a room with basicaly no back wall to bounce sound off of.

I think the challenges are going to be an almost open back wall of the room. and windows not reflecting the sound the same as a wall?

Cost I would like to keep it under $500 but willing to spend more if needed for this type of room.

We use this tv for most our tv viewing. I would like good sound for movies and tv. But would settle for something that just upgrades the stock speakers in our tv. With the tv being set into the cutout above the fire place the sound from the tv speakers just seems to get trapped in there.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardawg /forum/post/21439167

Thank you MTSIndy, you addressed my post perfectly. I am definitely going to go with one that provides HDMI switching, thank you!

You are very welcome, beardawg. If you think of it, please post back once you get a unit. I'm sure others will be glad to see your feedback (I certainly will).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another plea for help:

Had to rebuild finished basement due to flood. Was able to save Onkyo TX SR504 and BIC Acoustech H100.

90% sure I'm going with Panny ST30. My ceiling is low, and as you face the tv the left side is wide open and the right side has an alcove between the tv and the right wall. So wires for the front speakers are a problem. I do have 2 speaker outlet wired behind the tv which run to the back wall behind the view area, so I can easily wire rear speakers. I was considering the BICFH56 for the fronts, even though the size is a bit daunting and ceiling is low - the TV will not be wall mounted.

So:

1. what soundbar(s) would be good for my situation - to be used for LFR with my receiver and subwoofer.

or

2. same question, replacing receiver with so I could do hdmi all 'round, and better decoding?

or

3. any other suggestions to give me nice sound for the new TV

p.s. no dvd yet, probably blu-ray in a month or two. budget for Fronts and Receiver could be $1000 if I replace the receiver (if the rears can fit in there too, great, if not so be it).

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIvan /forum/post/21451133

Another plea for help:

Had to rebuild finished basement due to flood. Was able to save Onkyo TX SR504 and BIC Acoustech H100.

So:

1. what soundbar(s) would be good for my situation - to be used for LFR with my receiver and subwoofer.

or

2. same question, replacing receiver with so I could do hdmi all 'round, and better decoding?

or

3. any other suggestions to give me nice sound for the new TV

p.s. no dvd yet, probably blu-ray in a month or two. budget for Fronts and Receiver could be $1000 if I replace the receiver (if the rears can fit in there too, great, if not so be it).

thanks in advance!

RedIvan -- If I had $1000 burning a hole in my pocket and was looking for a soundbar solution, I would gravitate toward the Yamaha YSP-2200 . The Yamaha digital sound projectors are pretty highly regarded in the forum, but I don't know the full shape of your basement. However, if the acoustics were a fit, the YSP-2200 has a very low-profile bar, the sub can be placed horizontally or vertically, and you'll get full HDMI switching plus HD audio decoding. And room for other inputs. You could move your Onkyo and sub to another location in the house -- they look like excellent components.

If you want to keep the Onkyo and sub in the basement, I have heard some folks rave about the Definitive Technology Mythos Surround Arrays. You wouldn't be able to decode HD audio, but you could find a Blu-ray which would either re-encode to DTS or put out multi-channel PCM, if your Onkyo can handle that input.

Of course, there's a whole bunch of other options out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks very much, MTSIndy.

Its not that I have $1000 burning a hole, but I can go that high if I need to I think (I hope
). I've attached a floor plan to give an idea of walls for acoustics.

I appreciate your suggestions and will certainly look into them.

Any further tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't find any reviews on this product. I'd like to know if anyone out there has this surround sound tv stand by Yamaha. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
After a mold/water issue in my basement forced me to open some walls I now have in wall speaker wire in my theater which got me thinking I don't really need the hassle and mess of the 5.1 setup in the office next door so I'm thinking about a sound bar.

Will likely want to connect one optical and two HDMI connections. Wireless sub preferred, virtual surround a plus but prefer overall performance and sound quality for under $500. Even better if its under $300.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM /forum/post/21465678

After a mold/water issue in my basement forced me to open some walls I now have in wall speaker wire in my theater which got me thinking I don't really need the hassle and mess of the 5.1 setup in the office next door so I'm thinking about a sound bar.

Will likely want to connect one optical and two HDMI connections. Wireless sub preferred, virtual surround a plus but prefer overall performance and sound quality for under $500. Even better if its under $300.

The sub is wired, but the Sony HT-CT150 has received a lot of positive feedback in the forum. Several of us have and love the Yamaha YHT-S400 , which is wired like the Sony. There don't seem to be a lot of units with HDMI switching capability: The Polks and Vizios seem designed simply to augment the TV by connecting to the optical out, which typically robs you of the audio richness of the source material for all but OTA TV.

P.S. The Sony HT-CT550 has a wireless sub, but is a 3-piece unit. Several in the forum who have demo'd both prefer the CT150 for sound quality.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks. If I don't want switching and can live with 1 HDMI do I have better options?

Most of my gear is plugged into the receiver for the theater and gets switched from that and run through the passive output and I could live with that (and maybe the optical from the TV for a second BR player I have in case I want to watch a movie while my son watches on the big screen).

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM /forum/post/21471394

Thanks. If I don't want switching and can live with 1 HDMI do I have better options?

Most of my gear is plugged into the receiver for the theater and gets switched from that and run through the passive output and I could live with that (and maybe the optical from the TV for a second BR player I have in case I want to watch a movie while my son watches on the big screen).

When I did my research last year and a few follow-ups since, I found 1 of 2 flavors of "primary" connection:
  1. Optical (sometimes > 1, sometimes including analog as well)
  2. Multiple HDMI (plus other input options)

It seems like soundbars are either designed to be auxiliary speakers for the TV, or they are essentially simplified, HDMI-switching AV receivers that are paired with a bar and a sub.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks again, I really want to dumb down my setup so maybe I'll just try one of the optical based Vizios or Polks that people seem to like first. The pseudo-receiver options look cool but then I'm not too far away from the set up I have already and am trying to move away from. But this is for 80%+ cable tv watching.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looking for a reasonable soundbar to go wiht our Samsung 46inch LCD. Main reason is to improve the sound (voice) as the downward firing speakers have to be turned up quite a bit for a relative to hear it.

I have a FULL blown cinema room so not worried about trying to create a cinema experience......

Models I am considering are below but would be interested in other suggestions (living in Switzerland)

Great neat package no additional Sub to find space for...

SAMSUNG HW-D350 (351 is just the silver version?)

Comes with Wireless Sub which could be placed out of the way between the sofa and the wall.

SAMSUNG HW-D450

Like the fact this has HMDI but have no need for the iPod Doc.

SAMSUNG HW-D570

Has built in Sub so less clutter, has a 'Clear Voice' and 'Uni Volume' both features would be useful

YAMAHA YAS-101

Site I generally use for pricing...
http://www.toppreise.ch/index.php?k3=2377&manu=&o=pa

Looking forward to hearing your views.

81 - 100 of 2037 Posts