AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1956 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Soundbars work by either taking an audio feed directly from a source (typically with optical) or by using an Audio-Return-Channel from the TV. This requires the TV have ARC capability AND that you plug the cable into that port on the TV.

There have been some TVs that have an optical OUT that can be plugged FROM the TV into a soundbar. But not all TVs have this, and it's not without other complications.

So, start with what model TV do you have and does it have either an optical or an HDMI-ARC feature. If it doesn't then get a new TV that does, one that's known to work. Because there are no reliable work-arounds, other than to use an AVR to handle the sound and source switching.

So I have a Samsung Q6 and it does have ARC. Unfortunately my current soundbar is a Polk that lacks HDMI input so ARC is useless at the moment. In addition I hear Samsung lacks support of DTS in 2019

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey guys, any tip on a stereo soundbar which can challenge good standmount/bookshelf speakers in quality of reproduction?
to answer my own question after extensive search: closest to my liking are new Klipsch soundbars, marketing says: "The sound bars are designed with quality materials and horn-loaded technology to look and sound more like the brand’s premium Reference speakers " ... of course it remains to be heard if they sound good, but at least there is some wood on them and no metal grill

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Are there any Dolby Atmos soundbars that would work in 2 story great rooms (16-17ft high ceilings)?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello. I bought an LG 65" OLED and am looking for a soundbar for it. I'd like it to be Roon Ready so Sonos and Bluesound are the two that come to mind. Any thoughts on the Bluesound Pulse 2i in terms of sound quality? I'll be TV only most of the time and background music.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a sound bar but not sure yet. I have a Denon e300 avr connected to two Bic 6.5 bookshelf speakers. I'm thinking of moving that set up to my garage and doing a sound bar in the media room. The room is a bedroom so it's not very big and I have an LG TV ( have to get model number) the other option is starting over with new avr and new speakers. I'm thinking a nice sound bar will be enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sound bar with sub. I watch alot of TV off my Xbox one and listen to music too. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
help for choosing a soundbar
I'm in doubt on several sound bars, I had the yamaha 207 yamaha, but I'm also hesitating on the LG sk8 (€ 250 offer), I've also looked at samsung, sony Sony HT-XF9000 .... I want to spend approximately € 300, I have 4k television, nvidia shield 4k (hdr), any recommendation?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have my own subwoofer but don't want to break the bank....

Currently trying to decide between the yamaha yas-108 (I've got it hooked up and running with my svs sub but feel like sub sometimes overpowers it/makes it feel weak) and am considering buying the vizio SB3630-E6.

They both are hardwired for subwoofer outs, so I'm good there. Other than that, I'm wondering if the 3.0 setup will feel different (better?) than the yamaha 2.0. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Worth it to try auditioning the vizio? People seem in love with the yamaha and while it is fine, I want to make sure I'm going the right way. Problem is that the house where it will be set up is an hour away so I'd rather not keep having to run back and forth to audition.

Also - any other contenders that have a subwoofer out for under $400? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
And yet you've still not come back with at least the TV's model number, or even what receiver you had connected to it before. Details help other members provide advice.... volunteer members... with FREE advice.

So... don't whine, ask better questions. Or not.
I am purchasing a Sony XBR65X900F and putting it on a desk top. The distance between the bottom of the TV and the desk top is 2.5" and between the TV's (stand) legs is 35". I can still see pretty good but my hearing is not. I would like the best sound bar for voice clarity. That is my primary goal. If it comes with a lot of bells and whistles that's fine as long as the dialogue is good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My request is pretty straight forward.

1. Price, preferably around $500 but not more than 1k.
2. Bass. Lots and lots of bass.

Naka 7.2? Possibly a quality bar that I can connect a separate sub (or 2) to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've just bought a Vizio D50-F1 TV. Very pleased with the video quality. Audio is less spectacular. So I'm looking at pairing it with a Vizio soundbar. I think that a SB3621 would be more than acceptable for the usage - casual viewing in the family room.

But I do want HDMI-ARC connectivity to keep control down to a single remote. Which is currently an RCA universal remote.

Vizio and most other manufacturers don't seem to highlight ARC capability. So it's hard to tell which soundbars do have ARC and which don't. Can I get some help with which Vizio soundbars actually have an ARC connection?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am having a hard time figuring out what type soundbar to go with. Passive or Active. Personally, I would like to do towers with a center speaker but because of space and layout (as well as the wife's opinion on it) we need to go the soundbar route. I don't have much experience with soundbars. I have a couple of friends with Sonos which sound nice but way too expensive when adding in the sub.

So here is my dilemma... I have about $500 to $700 to play with. The living room is a weird layout and the wife has already stated she doesn't want to rearrange anything. The listening positions are about 13'-14' away from the TV. Picture attached of overhead view of the living room with dimensions.

For an active soundbar, I am looking at the Vizio 3.1.2-Channel Soundbar System with 10" Wireless Subwoofer.
Just not sure if that will not be enough to handle that size room. > https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-3-1-2-channel-soundbar-system-with-10-wireless-subwoofer-and-dolby-atmos-with-google-assistant-black/6315191.p?skuId=6315191

For Passive I am looking at Dayton Audio BS41 with a 12" Powered Sub and a Receiver. Not sure on the receiver yet but been eyeing the Denon AVR-X1500H or AVR-X2500H. I do like the fact that I can upgrade the speakers down the road by having a receiver.

What do think will be best way to go?

Sorry for the long winded post. I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Newlaw83; the Vizio soundbar and 10" sub would be very fine for that space. The 10" sub should be more than adequate - it might be a little overpowering even (depending on how much bass you like). The passive Dayton with a receiver and a 12" sub will be more expensive than the Vizio - but might sound better and have more upgradeability if you ever do want to get tower speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Newlaw83; the Vizio soundbar and 10" sub would be very fine for that space. The 10" sub should be more than adequate - it might be a little overpowering even (depending on how much bass you like). The passive Dayton with a receiver and a 12" sub will be more expensive than the Vizio - but might sound better and have more upgradeability if you ever do want to get tower speakers.
Thank you for the response, GulfCoast71! Yeah after reading up as much as I can I think both will work just fine and I will be happy with either set up. Surprisingly, I can get the Dayton Audio BS41, sub and receiver for about the same price if not actually cheaper (depending on the receiver purchased).

Unfortunately, I'm still split between the two choices and there is not a ton of reviews of either soundbar. But, like you said, the passive set up will probably sound better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have we yet reached a point where a soundbar succeeds in being good enough?

I think I would benefit from parting with my avr and speakers and just having a soundbar to reduce wiring/clutter (toddler in the house).

If I can nab a recent model atmos LG or the like, being that I am not an audiophile and would like to have atmos for movies, is a soundbar viable or too much of a step down where even my ignorant ears will notice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking for your thoughts on these two sound bar systems. Primary uses would be streaming movies/series from Roku, watching Directv and listening to music via bluetooth from iphone. Room size is about 20' x 12'. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on here and I'd like some help selecting a sound system. I have a 52" Sharp AQUOS that is mounted in a modified bookshelf (it's an older TV). It's 9.5' from my couch and I currently use a VIZIO SmartCast 36" 5.1-Channel Soundbar System, which is about a year old and has already crapped out. The soundbar is crackling and since it's still relatively new, I have no interest in going back to using any Vizio products.

I'm not an audiophile and am lucky if I have enough time to watch a movie at night, but I like listening to music through the speakers since the room is open to my kitchen and dining room. I'm rooted out any Atmos speakers because of my vaulted ceiling and price. I'd like to spend no more than $500. I am considering the Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1Ch 400W 45" Sound Bar with 8” Subwoofer (Wireless) & Rear Satellite Speakers because it's similar to my current set up, but seems way better. The less appealing option is the Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System with Bluetooth because I have nowhere to store the receiver.

I'm attaching 2 photos to give you a sense of how my room is set up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm looking for some advice and some suggestions.

I currently have a set of Audioengine A5+ Bookshelf Speakers, and a Polk Audio PSW10 sub in my office. With some fancy (REALLY UGLY) wiring I have it hooked up to my computer and my PS4.

I get some good sound out of my Audioengine speakers, but I'd like a 5.1 setup. I'm looking for an inexpensive setup that will give me 5.1 sound. Ideally it would be a soundbar and I could reuse my existing sub to save some money. The catch I see is connecting both of my devices. I'll be connecting it to a PS4 AND my PC, so I need two inputs that I can use. The PS4 only has Optical and HDMI, but the 4k Monitor I'm connecting it to does not have an ARC channel, so I probably need an Optical for the PS4, and a 3.5mm input, or maybe some RCAs and I can find something to go from 3.5mm to RCA.

I found a decent deal on a refurbished Vizio SB3651-E6. It looks like it has an optical and 3.5mm input, so that would be perfect. Wish I could reuse my existing speakers and sub with it though, particularly since I like some good deep base while playing games or watching movies (I do a lot of both).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just moved into a new house and I will setup a home theater in the basement. In my family room, my wife wants a clean look. I have a cabinet and the TV sits on top. Under the TV, there is a slot (5" high) for a STB or soundbar. We are streaming everything so I don't have to worry about a STB. I'd like to place a soundbar inside. Therefore, directional sound won't be possible, but it's okay since the basic idea is to amplify and add some depth to the poor sound from TV during broadcasts and a few movies. I'm not looking for miracles, but I would like to add volume and depth. The wife couldn't care less about sound quality, only aesthetics. I care about sound quality, but I know we will be limited by aesthetics. So I'm looking for a good sounding soundbar without a sub and with no concern for directional audio. I saw some suggestions for the Q Acoustics M4 Soundbar. It might do the trick, but I'm willing to look/listen to anything at any price. I just think the price might be wasted by limiting my placement requirements. Any guidance from this group would be appreciated.

**Cross posted**

1841 - 1860 of 1956 Posts