AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1956 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on a soundbar.

TV: LG 65B8
Sources: AppleTV 4K, TV apps
Room: 12x14'

$500ish or less
Don't want rear surrounds
3.1 and a sub preferred

Basically something sorta no frills, but good clear sound quality. I'm coming from an old Sony CT790 that died. I'm kind of interested in the simplicity of the Sonos Beam, but i've heard of a lot of sync issues with my TV.

NOTE: I have a subwoofer i could use if possible. It's a 10" Emotiva Ultra10.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need some advice going to be starting construction on a new house soon. Will be building a dedicated HT room which where my current living room 7.1 setup will be moving.

In the new living room it will be an open concept floor plan (dining, living and kitchen) all in one room. The dimensions will be 30x35 with vaulted ceilings 10 feet at the wall and 12 at the apex. With the open floorplan there won't be anywhere to mount surrounds to have any kind of balance. So I want to go wirlth a soundbar.

Looking for recomendations on a 3.1 soundbar budget is $300 to $500.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a LN46A550 Samsung tv, still working. I got a firestick for Christmas, and unfortunately the surround sound system I have doesn't work from tv to bluray player out. Bluray player doesnt have Pandora Music app upgrades to where I can skip songs etc. Even though I am a subscriber, Pandora wont upgrade the app on the bluray.

So, I am looking at a Sound Bar system that I can play my Pandora Music with clarity, and Bass.
Suggestions. Not sure of price range, but a range of options is great if ya can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any recommendations for a cheap soundbar under $200 just for the bedroom? Already have a nice system in the living room but recently moved the TV to the bedroom and the built-in speaker sucks. HDMI-arc is the only requirement. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post in this forum!

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping the experts on here can give me a hand.

I am looking for the best soundbar for my Samsung Model: UN60J6200AF version NS02. It was manufactured in 2016.

I mostly play games on it (CoD, SFV, etc) and watch action/horror movies.

I've read up on the top soundbars but I'm not sure they are compatible with my current TV.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to keep the cost under $1000 if possible.

Please let me know if you need more info from me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am having a hard time picking a soundbar. Need some input, especially from Sony TV owners please.
I tried the Sony HT-Z9F but I had too many issues with it and returned it. It was hit or miss getting it to pass through Dolby Vision.

Ideally, I would like an Atmos compatible soundbar, with Dolby Vision passthrough.
I would like a wireless sub, and optional wireless rears. This is on the main TV, so crisp dialog is important. Family watches a lot of News, Movies, Sitcoms, etc.

If this is not possible, I would settle for a solid 2.1 soundbar as long as it is DV passthrough.
My budget caps out at $1000.00

Speaking of Dolby Vision, it is true that I could plug my Nvidia Shield into the TV and then just run HDMI ARC out to the soundbar?
Would this preserve DV? Would this also allow Atmos?

Sorry for all the questions guys. I have an XBR65X930E.
Hoping you guys can recommend a soundbar.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been researching soundbars and the Samsung HW-MS750 sounds like exactly what I want ... unfortunately it's sold out almost everywhere. I can however still buy the HW-MS650. So I was wondering if anyone could comment on whether a HW-650 with the rear wireless speakers would sound as good or maybe better than the HW-MS750 (with no rear speakers). Knowing this would help me decide which to actually get.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a Sony X900H and am in love with it thanks to some calibration help from this forum. I also bought the Sony UBP-X700 player for any UHD movies. The last piece that I'm missing is a good soundbar to go with it. I have an open concept living room that it's going in, so I don't really want rear speakers. I'm thinking a good 3.1 soundbar preferably with an included sub would work best. I've been looking at the Yamaha YAS-207BL, but Amazon is the only place that stocks it now. Is there any other 3.1 that would be recommended?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Either of These Good Options?

JBL 3.1 or Polk MagniFi Max?

I want to replace a Yamaha ATS-1060, which I am currently using with a separate wired Velodyne subwoofer. The Yamaha sounds ok, but it has always randomly turned itself off, which is starting to annoy us more lately, for some reason.

I wouldn’t mind going with a soundbar + wireless sub system, if the value is good. The room is an odd shaped, open living room with a 16” slanted ceiling, so neither rear surround nor Atmos are considerations. The display is an older Panasonic plasma which is still going strong. The only playback devices currently connected are a BluRay player and cable box, and occasionally an Apple TV, but I hope to also stream music over Bluetooth or perhaps wireless. We use Apple phones/tablets, FWIW.

Being able to clearly hear dialog in programming is important to us.

I’ve demoed the soundbars in our local Big Blue store, and the only ones in the sub-$500 price range that caught my attention were the JBL 3.1 or Polk MagniFi Max. The JBL is currently “on sale”, making it about half the price of the Polk, but I think maybe it’s been discontinued.

Update: I found a significantly lower price for the Polk at the online Big River marketplace, bringing its price much closer to that of the JBL.

Any suggestions between these two, or something better in the $300-$500 price range?

THANKS!
Kevin

·
Registered
736 Posts
JBL 3.1 or Polk MagniFi Max?

I want to replace a Yamaha ATS-1060, which I am currently using with a separate wired Velodyne subwoofer. The Yamaha sounds ok, but it has always randomly turned itself off, which is starting to annoy us more lately, for some reason.

I wouldn’t mind going with a soundbar + wireless sub system, if the value is good. The room is an odd shaped, open living room with a 16” slanted ceiling, so neither rear surround nor Atmos are considerations. The display is an older Panasonic plasma which is still going strong. The only playback devices currently connected are a BluRay player and cable box, and occasionally an Apple TV, but I hope to also stream music over Bluetooth or perhaps wireless. We use Apple phones/tablets, FWIW.

Being able to clearly hear dialog in programming is important to us.

I’ve demoed the soundbars in our local Big Blue store, and the only ones in the sub-$500 price range that caught my attention were the JBL 3.1 or Polk MagniFi Max. The JBL is currently “on sale”, making it about half the price of the Polk, but I think maybe it’s been discontinued.

Update: I found a significantly lower price for the Polk at the online Big River marketplace, bringing its price much closer to that of the JBL.

Any suggestions between these two, or something better in the $300-$500 price range?

THANKS!
Kevin
Best thing to do is buy one of them and take it home and listen to it for a few days. Listening to soundbars in stores does nothing. It will sound completely different (usually better) in your home. It's to bad your having problems with your Yamaha. I had the older model of that same soundbar with a RSL speedwoofer 10s and i thought it was a decent set up for the price.

I have also owned the JBL bar 3.1 and JBL bar 5.1. Both have very good subwoofers (better then most other soundbars) Both have dedicated center channels that enhances voice clarity. Both are good for TV programming or movies. Both can play louder then your Yamaha ATS-1060. I would pick the JBL bar 3.1 over the Polk, however if you can move up to the JBL bar 5.1, there is even a much larger difference! The true wireless rear speakers are excellent and easy to place anywhere for true 5.1 surround sound. Even if you don't use the rear speakers and leave them plug into the soundbar it sounds good. The soundbar itself is also a little better then the JBL bar 3.1.

The only down fall for the JBL bar 3.1 is when listening to music. It doesn't do this very well. The Yamaha with a seperate subwoofer set up correctly is better. The JBL bar 5.1 is also better.

The Sony HTZ9F 3.1 is a good soundbar for TV and movies. has very clear dialogue. Can get pretty loud. Has alot of good features and OSD. It's not real good at music either but much much better then the JBL bar 3.1. It's not worth the $899.00 retail price tag but is on sale right now. I would still have the JBL bar 5.1 over any of these listed.

Placement is critical on soundbars. be sure to have it at least 28" to 32" off the ground on a TV console or wall mount it right below the TV.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Best thing to do is buy one of them and take it home and listen to it for a few days. Listening to soundbars in stores does nothing. It will sound completely different (usually better) in your home...

...Placement is critical on soundbars. be sure to have it at least 28" to 32" off the ground on a TV console or wall mount it right below the TV.
Thank you.

I haven’t had a chance to connect it yet, but I did buy the Polk Magnify Max the other day. I choose to try the Polk first mainly because of reviews I’ve read of the JBL lacking dialog clarity/volume, and because I didn’t know how long its discounted price on Amazon would last. (The local big blue store matched the Amazon price). It was still about $120 more than the JBL 3.1’s current sale price, so if it doesn’t impress us, I’ll return it.

I may need to raise the display to allow a higher sound bar placement. The Yamaha sits on the middle shelf of a AV stand, which is definitely lower than 28”. The BluRay player and cable box are currently on the top shelf to make it easier to use their remote controls. (Dogs are often in the way)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thank you.

I haven’t had a chance to connect it yet, but I did buy the Polk Magnify Max the other day. I choose to try the Polk first mainly because of reviews I’ve read of the JBL lacking dialog clarity/volume, and because I didn’t know how long its discounted price on Amazon would last. (The local big blue store matched the Amazon price). It was still about $120 more than the JBL 3.1’s current sale price, so if it doesn’t impress us, I’ll return it.

I may need to raise the display to allow a higher sound bar placement. The Yamaha sits on the middle shelf of a AV stand, which is definitely lower than 28”. The BluRay player and cable box are currently on the top shelf to make it easier to use their remote controls. (Dogs are often in the way)
Just like any good speakers, Placement of the speaker and the room are upmost important to get the best quality sound from your set up. Soundbars are no different! When you are sitting on a couch or living room chair your head (ears) are about 37" up from floor level. So you don't want your soundbar sitting only 24" up from the floor on a 2nd shelf or low boy console?

Don't expect any soundbar to have cristal clear dialogue when it's pointing at your knee's!! Go look at the Polk Magnifi MAX on crutchfields website and take a good look at the pictures they show. One picture shows it on a "very tall"white TV console and the other picture shows it mounted on the wall when using a lowboy console. Most manufactures recommend you wall mount them just below a proper wall mounted TV.

My TV is wall mounted. My TV console is 32" high where the soundbar sits. So my soundbar speakers are sitting about 33" to 34" from floor level. My console is real wood, not glass which is the worse thing you can put it on. I have a cloth under the soundbar to eliminate any reflections because i have the bar sitting back. I sit 16 ft from our TV console. I have owned and tested 8 to 10 different soundbars. I never had a problem with any of the soundbars producing good clear dialogue. Except for maybe the Yamaha YAS 207 because of it's bad design crossover point where you can hear vocals coming from the subwoofer.

As for reviews, take them with a big grain of salt! Many don't have the soundbars set up correctly nor do they know how too. So they get online and write bad reviews because they are lost and confused as to why it sounds so bad??

Here is a picture of the JBL 3.1 and 5.1 when i had them. The 2nd picture shows the rear speakers still mounted to the soundbar on the bar 5.1. As you can see in the 3rd picture, the JBL bar 5.1 can get very loud on the DB meter! That was playing a SACD DSD true multi channel 5.1 sound track from Pink Floyd. Not many sub $800.00 soundbars can do this!

245.JPG

250.JPG

260.JPG

I now have a Sony Z9F 3.1 atmos soundbar because i got $400.00 off when i bought my new Sony 950G a couple of weeks ago. It's going back because i just bought the Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 with the optional HK Enchant 10" subwoofer that Crutchfield just put on sale for $1000.00 off! I listen to a lot of music as well as watch movies so i am seeking a soundbar that plays music well to. That's not easy to find! Hopefully this Enchant 1300 with subwoofer will do the trick.

As for the Polk Magnifi Max, it looks like a pretty nice soundbar. I like what it has to offer. Let us know what you think of it once you get it set up.;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just got a Sony X900H and am in love with it thanks to some calibration help from this forum. I also bought the Sony UBP-X700 player for any UHD movies. The last piece that I'm missing is a good soundbar to go with it. I have an open concept living room that it's going in, so I don't really want rear speakers. I'm thinking a good 3.1 soundbar preferably with an included sub would work best. I've been looking at the Yamaha YAS-207BL, but Amazon is the only place that stocks it now. Is there any other 3.1 that would be recommended?
See the next 4 post after yours in this thread. If your going to go with the Yamaha, go with the newer YAS-209 and not the 207.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi -- Wondering if anyone can recommend a budget soundbar that's reported to work well, typically without glitches and/or issues, with either the 2019 budget/mid-level LG tv's (e.g. UM7300), or the 2019 Vizio M series tv's? Especially good for clear dialogue, but separate subwoofer isn't necessary - as it's for an elderly woman with poor hearing. Thanks for any & all for suggestions.

However, now I see that just reading the last several pages of this thread should suffice. Looks like plenty of good suggestions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As for the Polk Magnifi Max, it looks like a pretty nice soundbar. I like what it has to offer. Let us know what you think of it once you get it set up./forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
We like it pretty well, except for two minor issues. First, my wife has trouble using the recessed volume buttons with her long nails. That may seem silly, but this is in her primary TV viewing room.

Second, it seems like the bar sometimes responds very slowly to commands.

Sound is pretty good. Dialog is clear. Bass is adequate, if not phenomenal. I haven’t tried any programming with significant LFE yet, though. Music streaming via Bluetooth is easy as you’d expect, and sounds better than most Bluetooth speakers I’ve heard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LAN Sound Bar

Hello!

I’m looking for an AirPlay enabled sound bar that’s not a smart speaker or alexia enabled, anything like that. Right now I have an older optical audio sound bar with an Apple TV 2 hooked up to sort of allow us to stream music to it from our iOS devices. This would work a lot smoother if we could speaker (audio only) airplay if that makes sense. My goal is under 300 and would prefer the 150 range, good quality sound, and Bluetooth isn’t needed I intend to LAN hardwire the bar to our network for best performance.

Thank you!

·
Registered
231 Posts
As for the Polk Magnifi Max, it looks like a pretty nice soundbar. I like what it has to offer. Let us know what you think of it once you get it set up./forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
We like it pretty well, except for two minor issues. First, my wife has trouble using the recessed volume buttons with her long nails. That may seem silly, but this is in her primary TV viewing room.

Second, it seems like the bar sometimes responds very slowly to commands.
Update: We we are approaching the end of our return window, and I think the Polk Magnify Max is going back to the Big Blue store. In addition to the issues mentioned before, we've noticed fairly often a strange rumbly sound coming from the subwoofer that doesn't seem like it could possibly be part of the program material. Also the mid bass seems pretty strong, but the sub really doesn't go as low as I might've hoped.

I'm not sure if we're going to try another soundbar or not. If we do it'll likely be the JBL Bar 3.1.

The other option is a receiver and our currently unused DefTech Pro Cinema speakers and the Velodyne sub we were using with our Yamaha ATS-1060 Soundbar up until recently.

If anyone knows of a good three channel Soundbar with subwoofer output, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi all. I would appreciate any advice for a basic easy to use sound bar with subwoofer out. I would also like it to work with any source used with the tv, so you don’t have to switch inputs ?

Initial research seems to lean towards the Yamaha 108 or 109. Any opinions on these units or similar would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi all. I would appreciate any advice for a basic easy to use sound bar with subwoofer out. I would also like it to work with any source used with the tv, so you don’️t have to switch inputs ?

Initial research seems to lean towards the Yamaha 108 or 109. Any opinions on these units or similar would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
We went back to our Yamaha ATS-1060 + separate Velodyne sub after returning the Polk Magnifi Max discussed above. The ATS-1060 is the equivalent of the YAS-106, predecessor of the YAS-108 and 109 you mentioned, but was sold in Costco and possibly other warehouse stores.

The current model sold in Costco is the ATS-1080, which corresponds to the YAS-108. It's often discounted, although I don't know if it is at the moment.

The YAS-109 has a couple features not present on the 108: Alexa and WiFi capability. If either of those features is critical to you, you should consider the YAS-109. If not, the YAS-108 / ATS-1080 would probably suit your needs.

The reason we tried replacing our ATS-1060 in the first place was because it randomly shut off from time to time, requiring us to power it back on with the remote. This only happened every day or two, but it was inconvenient.

It turned out the Polk went into power saving mode every time we paused, rewound, or fast forwarded our programming, which we do quite often when watching TV via DVR.

It turned out the Yamaha's occasionally powering itself off was much less annoying, as it happened far less frequently.

Funny thing. Since reconnecting the Yamaha, it seems to be powering off level less often as before, and I feel the sound is better than the Polk system, although the subwoofer could be the main reason for that, and not the Soundbar itself.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a good size bedroom that is my mancave. I will have a 75" tv and I can go either sound bar or use my Pioneer Elite receiver and go with a typical 5.1 system (I have Klipsch bookshelf and center channel but I think they are way too much for the room). I have a Yamaha 106 (I think - just a sound bar, no sub or anything) in our game room and am pretty pleased with it working with a small JBL sub. Looking for something much better for my mancave. Would like a sound bar with a sub and maybe surround speakers, but am I just trying to replicate a true 5.1 system (which I have the receiver). About $1000 budget. I could spend that on a soundbar setup or a 5.1 speaker system (center, 4 bookshelf speakers, and a sub). Thoughts??? I won't be able to crank it too much as the room sits above our main living room. I will be able to listen to it louder during the night as its somewhat isolated from all the other rooms in the house.

Are there any soundbars with sound calibration / channel leveling, etc. etc. like a real receiver? Or are they all plug and play - and I never use any of the 'synthetic surround sound stuff' on my Yamaha 106 soundbar. Just stereo for it.

1901 - 1920 of 1956 Posts