AVS Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1956 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a good size bedroom that is my mancave. I will have a 75" tv and I can go either sound bar or use my Pioneer Elite receiver and go with a typical 5.1 system (I have Klipsch bookshelf and center channel but I think they are way too much for the room). I have a Yamaha 106 (I think - just a sound bar, no sub or anything) in our game room and am pretty pleased with it working with a small JBL sub. Looking for something much better for my mancave. Would like a sound bar with a sub and maybe surround speakers, but am I just trying to replicate a true 5.1 system (which I have the receiver). About $1000 budget. I could spend that on a soundbar setup or a 5.1 speaker system (center, 4 bookshelf speakers, and a sub). Thoughts??? I won't be able to crank it too much as the room sits above our main living room. I will be able to listen to it louder during the night as its somewhat isolated from all the other rooms in the house.

Are there any soundbars with sound calibration / channel leveling, etc. etc. like a real receiver? Or are they all plug and play - and I never use any of the 'synthetic surround sound stuff' on my Yamaha 106 soundbar. Just stereo for it.
Unless you are opposed to running speaker wire to the surround channels, I think you'll be happier with the sound from a dedicated 5 or 5.1 channel setup--especially if you have a decent receiver and L C R speakers.

Then again, I haven't auditioned any $1K soundbar systems. I hope others who have done so will offer their opinions.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Unless you are opposed to running speaker wire to the surround channels, I think you'll be happier with the sound from a dedicated 5 or 5.1 channel setup--especially if you have a decent receiver and L C R speakers.

Then again, I haven't auditioned any $1K soundbar systems. I hope others who have done so will offer their opinions.
How about the Nakamichi 9.2 system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm buying an LG CX for a bedroom, so I wouldn't usually care about adding external sound because it's a small space, but apparently the TV isn't compatible with DTS audio unless you feed it through an external source, so really I'm just looking for a cheap soundbar (under $200) that works with DTS and all the major audio formats, and sounds good enough for the price. I've tried looking on Amazon but they don't really list compatibility other than the lossless surround sound formats (I don't know if most soundbars generally can decode any audio stream or if they've got certain codecs only - I'm a bit of a noob) so any help would be most appreciated.

·
Banned
347 Posts
I'm buying an LG CX for a bedroom, so I wouldn't usually care about adding external sound because it's a small space, but apparently the TV isn't compatible with DTS audio unless you feed it through an external source, so really I'm just looking for a cheap soundbar (under $200) that works with DTS and all the major audio formats, and sounds good enough for the price. I've tried looking on Amazon but they don't really list compatibility other than the lossless surround sound formats (I don't know if most soundbars generally can decode any audio stream or if they've got certain codecs only - I'm a bit of a noob) so any help would be most appreciated.

Yamaha ATS 1080 at Costco for $149. That’s what I’m getting for my new LG C9. I have an older ATS 1030 that I’ve had for years that sounds great. I’m sure the newer 1080 sounds even better. Try it and if you don’t like it just return it.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Yamaha ATS 1080 soundbar is now $99 at CostCo until 4/26/20. I just bought one today and it sounds much better than my older ATS 1030.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys. Looking for a soundbar to pair with a TCL 75" TV. I was going to go with the one that's typically paired with it, the TCL Alto 7+ https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Channel-Theater-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B07PKRKJWT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tcl+soundbar&qid=1586977250&sr=8-3
But after a quick glance, I realized that one is only 40w, and I saw a couple on Amazon that were cheaper, and had much more power, like this generic one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KCSKJ8H/?coliid=I16NXOIZ1DPD77&colid=39QNYADO8RAEL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Now, I know wattage isn't everything, but this one has better ratings as well. Anyway, overall, I'm just looking for a good soundbar in the $150 price range. There won't be room for normal speakers, which is why we're going with a soundbar. And the TV will be in our living room, which is about 24'x20'x7' if that matters.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Long time lurker :) Need help choosing a soundbar. I'm for best bang for the buck, I'm no audiophile (not even remotely.) I just want something that works.
Bought a new TV for the living room. Living room is very big, open concept and tall ceiling. I currently have a Polk surround-bar IHT 6000 connected. Does the job, not sure if I should upgrade. Mostly streaming netflix 4k or Plex 1080 movies.
-QN82Q70 TV
-Apple TV 4k
-Nvidia Shield 2019 (Thinking about picking this up).

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now that I am a proud owner of a 65" Samsung Q80R TV, I wanted to see what soundbar would pair well with it. I would think I would want to utilize the HDMI ARC port on the tv so there is one less remote, is that correct? I would like to get the best soundbar I can get for around $500 or less. Is it better to stay with Samsung or does that not matter? Any suggestions or input would be great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

Is Samsung MS65O worth ca +$100 difference when compared to Yamaha YAS 209? Where I live SB got quite expensive

I think I need SB with wifi and good clear voice/dialogue and both tick the boxes.

My TV is Samsung and I also use the SmartThings feature, so MS650 would be great.. but not sure if it's worth the extra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help ...

Hi there.
I am still looking for a decent, not too pricey solution for our Livingroom.
It is roughly 6,7m long and 4,5m wide, we are sitting 3,3m away from the TV and if we´d use rear speakers, they would be around 2,6m behind us. Not directly, more a mix between next to us /behind us.
I know, far from perfect.

We had a Canton DM 90.3 + Canton AS Sub for many years, but we wanted something with a little bit more "surrounding sound", so in the last weeks we had a Samsung Q90R (almost no bass at all, only with Atmos Movies it sounded good - maybe the Sub was not 100% okay, made some crackling tunes sometimes even on lower volumes), then a JBL Bar 5.1 with Surrounds. Great bass, good heights, no mids. Last one was a Yamaha MusicCast Bar 40 + Sub 100 + 2x MusicCast 20. Good Sound overall, bass was okay, mids were okay, Surrounds made a good job, but the System lost its Wifi / Connection every two days no matter what I tried.

We can not place a "real" Surround System here, so we have to go with Soundbar, Bass, Surrounds (Wireless would be good).

Our local dealer will take the Yamaha back (as he did with the JBL and the Samsung) and all he has to offer now is:
Sonos Beam + Sub + 2x One, Bose 500/700 + 500/700 Bass, some LG Soundbars and thats it.

Mostly watching movies and series, sometimes listen to music, should have a whopping bass, soundstage in front should at least make a good stereo effect and the rears should be wireless.
Sonos? Bose?

·
Registered
55 Posts
gonna be getting an LG B9 and want something nice to pair with it. I definitely want an atmos soundbar and my budget is gonna be under $1000. I see some new LG soundbars just came out, the SN series. any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi all,

Just moved to a new place, and sadly no room for a proper setup until we renovate. Need something to hold the fort until then, so looking for a simple, relatively cheap setup under $500
Shortlisted to the following 2 options :-
1. Definitive Technology W Studio - $399 at A4L
2. Focal Dimension - $419 at A4L

Not looking for 4K or HDR, still rocking my 8 year old Panny Plasma. Just need something to connect Roku and ATV, and possibly my Oppo to the TV and not sound crappy. TV is mounted in a built-in cabinet, and really no room for speakers other than a soundbar.

I've generally liked warmer sounds(old setup in signature), but haven't heard the Focal. Anyone with experience, please help me decide.

Cheers!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm looking for advice on a full upgrade for my AV experience. I hope to buy a new TV and soundbar in the next few months and I'd really like them to play well together since I've had so many troubles with bad CEC behavior that I just want something that works. All of my content delivery will be via my Shield TV; support for Atmos and Dolby Vision are requirements for me.

Budget: ~$2000 total for TV and soundbar, with some wiggle room.
TV Size: 55" - I want bigger, but the household put a hard limit on that.
Room elements: Fairly bright with a big window, so glare is an issue. Open format, very few walls nearby and there's currently no place to put rear speakers so I'll be looking for a soundbar without rears at this time. The option to add rear speakers later would be nice.

Like I said, device compatibility is a high priority for me since my family just wants things to work and be simple. I'm a big fan of immersive movie experiences so high quality HDR and surround audio are priorities for me. Gaming and live TV aren't priorities for me. I could do incremental upgrades now, but instead I want to save up to swap out everything I have all at once and hopefully future-proof my setup as much as possible. I'm also going to post this on the soundbar forum recommendation thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sony HT-Z9F or Alternative?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice for the best soundbar to get. I recently bought a new Sony X900F television from BestBuy, and the Sony HT-Z9F was ~$550 ($400 off) for buying the two together so I figured I'd get it and return if there was something better. So I'm now debating whether to keep the Sony HT-Z9F or get something different for the same general price range of $500 - $800. I like that the Sony HT-Z9F can do Dolby Atmos and transfer to the television which only has one ARC port (so can pass through PS4 Pro and another device). However, I worry that this model is two years old and not sure how great it is for listening to music.

Given I also frequently listen to music, I'm not sure if something like the Sonos Arc ($800) would be better for my usage, although that won't be able to pass on Dolby Atmos content to the television. Is there another brand or model that does all of this better for the same price range? Saw that someone posted the Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 Soundbar / Subwoofer bundle for ~$730 on this forum which also caught my eye.

Understand the Sonos Arc isn't even out yet, but in your experience, was something like the Sonos Playbar significantly better for listening to music than the Sony HT-Z9F? Both the Sonos Arc and harman Kardon boast a lot more speakers than this HT-Z9F, but don't really understand how much of a practical difference that will make. Please help a newbie, thanks!

Usage:
General netflix / television / movies / sports
PS4 Gaming
Frequently listen to music

Room:
18' x 14' rectangular, will probably sit back ~8' to 10' feet back when watching movies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is the current best bang for buck? Standard home, big open living room.

Also considering best budget options for my SO.

Thanks!

Depends on the price. At the low end, Vizio offers a lot of bang for the buck. The SB3651 is a solid budget 5.1 setup, and their 5.1.2 and 5.1.4 Atmos setups can be had for great prices from time to time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased a Samsung 65" 7000 series and need a soundbar:

One choice is the Sony X9000F ($399 CAD) and the other is the Samsung T550 ($299 CAD).

It's just for Netflix and Plex.

I know the Sony has more features like eARC, Atmos, etc... but it's also from 2018 and the Samsung is 2020.

I've read reviews on both and the Samsung has a few higher scores, but doesn't have Atmos, passthrough, etc... not sure if I need those features or not?

Also, is it better to have a Samsung soundbar with a Samsung TV so they work seamlessly, or is that not a thing because of ARC?

Thank-you for your feedback

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just picked up a 65X950G for a spare room and would like to add soundbar in 300 range. I have been considering Yamaha 2090 for well less at Costco and the Q90T slightly more. Any thoughts on these two and in the Samsung is worth like 40% more?

1921 - 1940 of 1956 Posts