AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3903 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
You omitted the "S" to distinguish the new line from the existing XBox One and the forthcoming Scorpio.

Yes, it will be a native (no upscaling) UHD blu-ray player with HDR-10. However, that doesn't prevent the XBox One S from potentially upscaling other sources (apps, HD blu-ray, and games) to UHD, we'll have to see when it comes out in late August. Some have criticized the audio output features as being crippled (no bitstream), we'll have to confirm that in the future, too.

Note that I didn't use the term 4K because is a little bit of a misnomer (look it up), although we see the consumer industry regularly use 4K interchangeably with UHD.
I am still learning. So it is possible to get UHD without a 4K tv?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Firmware varies in how much it encompasses per device, it can comprise any range from the equivalent of computer BIOS, operating system, and/or apps.

I won't say that it is impossible, but we've never seen something like Dolby Vision added to a display, presumably because it requires licensing, software, and hardware design. We have seen Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D added to audio-video receivers firmware, but they were advertised as having that capability forthcoming.

You should compare, regardless! You might change your mind irrespective of HDR-DV, which exists only on streaming services today and we hope it will arrive sometime in 2017 with new UHD blu-ray players.
Again I find myself not being clear in the way I type things. By whole ball of wax, I mean TV, Rec/Amp, and UHD Blu Ray player, along with some Atmos speakers.

I believe if everything works together today, it should last me 5-7 years, even though I might not be up to date with the current options.

I have made 2 mistakes thus far, I bought a Mits DLP that was promised to be 3D, and I had to buy a 3D kit to make it work. Then I bought a Denon 3808 that I learned was not capable of passing 3D content only to find out it could, so not so bad here. But still no wireless connections.

I have pretty much picked a Marantz 7010 to be my Rec/Amp. I will add ext amp later for my mains for music mainly. I just want everything to play together nicely with as much future proofing as I can get today. TV and UHD player still up in air. I like Sony's colors better than Samsungs. Just can't see Vizio in my main room. Hoping to see something from Panny.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Again I find myself not being clear in the way I type things. By whole ball of wax, I mean TV, Rec/Amp, and UHD Blu Ray player, along with some Atmos speakers. I believe if everything works together today, it should last me 5-7 years, even though I might not be up to date with the current options.
Future proofing with UHD is difficult today because we have permutations and evolution in frame rate, WCG, HDR, and immersive audio as well as potential HDMI changes. As a result, many choices today are considered early adopter territory, which limits future proofing. And we will see how UHD media shakes out: when will Disney enter the market, what will they support?

For HDR, even if you buy a display that can do HDR-10 and HDR-DV, we do not know if they will support the other, optional and forthcoming HDR standards for broadcast. Displays are also advancing in HDR maximum nits and WCG % of BT.2020 color space. Because you want the whole ball of wax: you should wait because too much is evolving.

I had been eyeing the Marantz: I do not believe it will pass through HDR, some UHD Blu-ray players include two HDMI outs to allow bypassing that issue. I will wait to upgrade my AVR.

I took this advice: buy a display from a reputable retailer, understand the return options, and let them know you want to compare brand X to brand Y in your home and weigh their advice for which to start with. After I brought home a Vizio P65, it was great and I couldn't justify 2X+ the cost for an OLED. Now I am hungry for UHD blu-ray, but will probably wait until Oppo releases their product at the end of the year or a good sale.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Future proofing with UHD is difficult today because we have permutations and evolution in frame rate, WCG, HDR, and immersive audio as well as potential HDMI changes. As a result, many choices today are considered early adopter territory, which limits future proofing. And we will see how UHD media shakes out: when will Disney enter the market, what will they support?

For HDR, even if you buy a display that can do HDR-10 and HDR-DV, we do not know if they will support the other, optional and forthcoming HDR standards for broadcast. Displays are also advancing in HDR maximum nits and WCG % of BT.2020 color space. Because you want the whole ball of wax: you should wait because too much is evolving.

I had been eyeing the Marantz: I do not believe it will pass through HDR, some UHD Blu-ray players include two HDMI outs to allow bypassing that issue. I will wait to upgrade my AVR.

I took this advice: buy a display from a reputable retailer, understand the return options, and let them know you want to compare brand X to brand Y in your home and weigh their advice for which to start with. After I brought home a Vizio P65, it was great and I couldn't justify 2X+ the cost for an OLED. Now I am hungry for UHD blu-ray, but will probably wait until Oppo releases their product at the end of the year or a good sale.
Again, when I say whole ball of wax, I don't mean the very best of the best. I am also looking at a TV under $3k max. Sammy 9000, Sony 930D close to 2K open box, and the P65. Hopefully some firmware updates could help me along. I am unaware of what can be fixed with firmware and what can't. And again, I need a brand, that if possible, would keep their customers happy with updates.

I assumed the Marantz could pass anything the TV was capable of playing.

Beta was better than VHS but VHS won because the market had been saturated with VHS players for less $. I see HDR following this trend. Everyone can't buy a TV every time they want to change the format.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It looks like the Samsung and Panasonic player both can handle refresh rates of 50hz and 60hz. Can anyone confirm this? I have a few blu ray's that are 50hz and won't play on some players. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic when it releases but the ability to play 50hz discs is more important to me and I'm 99% sure the Samsung will.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am also looking at a TV under $3k max. Sammy 9000, Sony 930D close to 2K open box, and the P65. Hopefully some firmware updates could help me along.
The following is my opinion: I would leave out the AVR and UHD blu-ray as being critical in your display evaluation because you want to see an improvement before introducing other factors, i.e.: test the hypothesis. In fact, you should be browsing the owner threads of those displays for information on how to evaluate them and how well they are supported, just note that on the Internet it seems that more people complain than compliment, no matter which topic! :~)

Bring one display home, judge it for everything you do on your current display: broadcast or cable TV + recordings, DVDs and HD blu-rays, streaming services like Netflix, and gaming. You should see an improvement to justify the investment, otherwise return it and try the next brand because this first stage of evaluation will be the majority of your viewing until UHD becomes normal.

HDR is the second stage of evaluation of your display: because HDR-DV is so early, you can't really compare HDR-10 to HDR-DV easily. The easiest approach to evaluate HDR today is to feed your display streaming HDR-10 from Amazon or Netflix (if you have proper bandwidth from your ISP) or buy a UHD blu-ray player. If your display does HDR-DV, you can try Vudu streaming. This implicitly tests your ISP, everything is UHD, and now you should see HDR. If HDR doesn't impress you, return the display and repeat the first evaluation with the next choice: now you will be able to compare (from memory) how well the displays impress you. Our memory is fallible and you may not be calibrating the displays for proper comparison, but your impressions on how easy it is to operate the display and the overall out of the box performance should be sound.

If you are happy with the results of both stages, keep your display. Don't worry about firmware updates because they generally deal with bugs and compatibility issues, not adding new features. The only exception I know is that Vizio promised adding HDR-10 to the P series this summer and it hasn't happened yet. You would also need to add an external TV tuner for OTA to the P65 if that's important to you.

You can move onto your AVR upgrade next to insure it supports everything you've tested above and/or try adding UHD blu-ray if you find your ISP can't handle streaming UHD HDR + subscriptions without a justifiable monthly cost.

Anyhow, there are a lot of factors, I've tried to streamline the evaluation process by focusing on the display somewhat without knowing your criteria that you want addressed in future firmware.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have an Epson 3500 and a Denon x2200w as part of a 5.1.2 set up. Will the Samsung 8500 be a good fit for me? I eventually want to be at 5.1.4 and want to play UHD with Atmos on my 1080p set up. I already have been buying UHD discs for this application.

It doesn't appear there will be sub $300 options out yet this year, right? Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have an Epson 3500 and a Denon x2200w as part of a 5.1.2 set up. Will the Samsung 8500 be a good fit for me? I eventually want to be at 5.1.4 and want to play UHD with Atmos on my 1080p set up. I already have been buying UHD discs for this application.

It doesn't appear there will be sub $300 options out yet this year, right? Thanks!
I am confused. I thought UHD was 4k, not 1080P. Are you saying you want the Atmos sound with 1080P PQ?

·
Super Moderator
16,385 Posts

Several members have used the 8500 with their 1080p displays just for the Atmos soundtrack. It works.

S~

Reactions: Cndctrdj

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you are looking for an UHD/4k player, you'll have to wait for an Oppo. There are only the Samsung and Philips players out right now, with Panasonic coming later this summer.
Here is the latest info I just got from Oppo on their UHD box.

"We do not have additional information to disclose at this time, but we are working on a player that we do hope to have available by the end of this year.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,
Please excuse but I don't know any other way to ask.. As of today Date; What is the best Blu-Ray Player under $120.00
and best one under $220.00 that I can connect to a TV.. I would it to be able to Read CD-R and DVD-/+R Discs.
but not a deal breaker.. 2k/4k upscaling would be nice.. Other than that I do not need any thing Special..
What do U think of the Pana BMP BDT270??
What about the Sony BDPS 6500 (2015)??
What about the Samsung BD-J7500?? (2015)

Although this is over my price range a used 4K Samsung UBD-K8500 for $278 ??

Thx. W.G.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Guys,
Please excuse but I don't know any other way to ask.. As of today Date; What is the best Blu-Ray Player under $120.00
and best one under $220.00 that I can connect to a TV.. I would it to be able to Read CD-R and DVD-/+R Discs.
but not a deal breaker.. 2k/4k upscaling would be nice.. Other than that I do not need any thing Special..
What do U think of the Pana BMP BDT270??
What about the Sony BDPS 6500 (2015)??
What about the Samsung BD-J7500?? (2015)

Although this is over my price range a used 4K Samsung UBD-K8500 for $278 ??

Thx. W.G.
I have always like Panasonic blu ray players. Or match tv if possible so you can use the remotes to operate both, in most cases.

I don't think you can upscale to 4k without a 4k tv. If you have or plan to get a 4k tv, go for the Sammy K8500.

·
Registered
243 Posts
HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 conundrum

Alright so here's the deal, I have a Marantz 8802 pre-amp that hasn't been upgraded to support HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 because of geographical issues (live in the middle-east and nobody here can do the upgrade).

I am also running a VW300/350es projector which supports HDMI 2.0A.

My question is (and forgive me if this is stupid). If I get a player that supports 4K, HDMI 2.0a, etc with dual HDMI out like the Oppo 103, and connect my projector directly to the player for an image. Would using the second HDMI out and connecting it to my Pre-Amp provide audio? Or would it lock out both video and audio considering the pre-amp is not HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 compliant?

Again I apologise if this is a stupid question but I am backed into a corner here when it comes to being able to support these new players, so I am trying to find any possible solution before completely replacing the pre-amp.

·
Super Moderator
16,385 Posts
The Oppo 103 does not support 4K, so your question does not apply to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The purpose of dual HDMI on UHD players like the Samsung and Panasonic is exactly for your situation. Many use the dual HDMI outputs of these players just fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread

The Oppo 103 does not support 4K, so your question does not apply to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The purpose of dual HDMI on UHD players like the Samsung and Panasonic is exactly for your situation. Many use the dual HDMI outputs of these players just fine.

Never mind I fully understood your comment now after reading up on the panasonic players. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have a house being built, and I'm going to end up with a room partially dedicated to being a home theater.

I intend on getting a new TV, with the shortlist being down to two Sony's: XBR-65X930D or XBR-75X940D
For now, I know I'll have a 5.2.2 set up with intentions of upgrading to 7.2.4 later. Until then, everything runs through my Marantz SR-5010.
I use a universal remote, so I don't care about the remote that comes with the device.

Here's what I'm struggling with, as I browse to see what bluray player I should get...
1) From an audio perspective:
Bluray players all seem to the same to me, since I'm going to bitstream the audio to the receiver. I do not own, nor have any plans to own, DVD-A or SACD content. All of my music is ripped ALAC and played via DLNA straight to the receiver. I would be only watching Blurays and DVDs with the player. I believe this eliminates the need for a universal player, such as an Oppo or Sony UHP-H1.

2) From a video perspective: Bluray players strike me as the inferior choice for processing the image, compared to a newer TV. My simplistic understanding of how this all works was that the disc contained the data, the player read the data (and could enhanced it), then the TV receives and enhances the data which it displays as an image. I know that Oppo has a strong following here, but I can't help but wonder if I couldn't accomplish the exact same image benefits by buying the DVP-5000S from Darbee. That comes with it's own problems, I suppose, since there is no mention of HDCP 2.2 for the product. I'll assume that a 4K version is in the works, though. I do not own, nor have any plans to own, 3D content.

3) From a build quality perspective: In all my years of using various transports, I have never had one simply die on me. I've gone from a VHS player to DVD player to Bluray player to Wifi-streaming Bluray capabilities as the platforms and my needs for content delivery have changed. I say all of this because I'm not sure that I'd see the benefits in having the tank-like MVP891 from McIntosh. While I've been more than satisfied by the Marantz products I own, the idea of buying the "trim matching" UD7007 has a certain appeal. When I upgrade to support a 7.2.4, I intend on getting a Marantz pre/pro with Outlaw amps.

4) From a features perspective: I know all players come stuffed with apps and other features, but I don't care about any of them save two: Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'll use the TV to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime until Roku sorts out the problems with their 4K device.

5) From a future-proofing perspective: Is it worth it to spend the money today to get the 4K player? If I got a new bluray player today, and in two to three years bought the 4K player... would I spend less overall? I know this is like trying to read a crystal ball, but I still struggle with it. If the 4K upscaling is good enough, and regular blurays come with HDR content (that's possible, right?), would I even care?

Here are the 4K and bluray players in the running for me (in no particular order):
Sony BDP-S7200 $179.99 new
Marantz UD5007 $319.99 refurb
Samsung UBD-K8500 $319.99 new
Samsung BD-J7500 $199.99 new
Samsung BD-J6300 $149.99 new
Panasonic DMP-UB900 $699.99 new (assuming it'll be available when I'm ready to buy, and cheaper...)
Oppo BDP-103 $499 new

I would like to spend under $200, but I'm willing to spend up to $500 with the right justification.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here are the 4K and bluray players in the running for me (in no particular order):
Sony BDP-S7200 $179.99 new
Marantz UD5007 $319.99 refurb
Samsung UBD-K8500 $319.99 new
Samsung BD-J7500 $199.99 new
Samsung BD-J6300 $149.99 new
Panasonic DMP-UB900 $699.99 new (assuming it'll be available when I'm ready to buy, and cheaper...)
Oppo BDP-103 $499 new

I would like to spend under $200, but I'm willing to spend up to $500 with the right justification.
You will have all the required components of 4k, so, if you buy Blu Ray movies, why would you not want to start watching 4k blu ray movies, and yes there is a difference between 4k and up-scaled 4k. I am getting the Samsung and will move it to another tv in the future if something better comes along. If streaming 4k data is going to be your only use, then get any blu ray player for now. Let the tv do the 4 k streaming and up-scaling for all under 4k levels. Sony is about the best out there for up-scaling.

Reactions: Scars

·
Registered
260 Posts
You will have all the required components of 4k, so, if you buy Blu Ray movies, why would you not want to start watching 4k blu ray movies, and yes there is a difference between 4k and up-scaled 4k. I am getting the Samsung and will move it to another tv in the future if something better comes along. If streaming 4k data is going to be your only use, then get any blu ray player for now. Let the tv do the 4 k streaming and up-scaling for all under 4k levels. Sony is about the best out there for up-scaling.
I do buy Blurays, and I would really like to watch native 4k content. I suppose I was trying to talk myself out of buying the Samsung, given it's mixed reviews.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new UHD BR for my Vizio M70-C3, and my options (in Canada) are the Samsung K8500 or the Philips BDP7501.

In the next couple of days the Philips is on sale for $400 CAD (down from $550), while the Samsung sells for $600.

I understand that Samsung has more smart apps (Philips has just Netflix and YouTube), which might have some impact for me. Right now I'm using Vizio's native apps like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu that all support 4k, but I think that with Vizio's move to the Google platform, they'll probably dump own smart apps platform.

What do you think???

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 3903 Posts