AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Hisense 50H8C is a value-priced, psuedo-HDR, 4k display released in Q2 2016. It has a rather great set of features for its price point, but ownership is not without challenges.

Hisense Product Page (finally)
Hisense Support Page (manuals)

BestBuy Product Page (with Q&A, Reviews)
Amazon Product Page (with Q&A, Reviews)

Reviews:

How to enable 4:4:4 color in 4k 60Hz modes on an Nvidia 9xx+ card:

This TV has a bad EDID that specifies 4k 60Hz mode as being 4:2:0 color only. Hisense support has repeatedly stated that the display supports 4:4:4 color in 4k 60Hz mode. Hisense has also stated that HDMI3 can accept 120Hz 1080p signals.

Picture Settings:

Other Secrets:

Props to @thrustbucket @atomic.fob @bhazard @vapormodel @Tulli @Bulls729 and Hisense.

More:

Reply with quality links and info, and I'll periodically update the first post. Thanks to everyone who helped figure out the hidden details on this display.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Happy owner here. For the price I paid, the picture is nothing short of excellent. It's no $2,200 set, but it hits a lot of sweet spots for much, much less.

As a previous high end Panasonic Plasma and Samsung owner, time will eventually make your $2,000 purchase obsolete. Once I got into Benq projectors under $1,000, I could never go back to 65" or under for my main set when 100+ inches is available. It's just so much more immersive. I've started to realize I could do without TOTL all the time and save thousands.

There are a few flaws as mentioned in the other thread that I hope get fixed. If they do, this tv will be a sleeper hit of 2016.

·
Registered
24 Posts
was able to purchase the 50H8C when it was on sale at BB for $379. I had been doing research for months and was highly considering picking this up for the $500 that it normally retails for. There were limited reviews but it was too good to pass up at the sale price.

I've had the TV for about a week now and I still can't believe what I got for my money. The fact that the TV comes at 50" with 4k, HDR capable (not sure if yet enabled as many have stated), local dimming which really is noticeable, and a 4 year warranty to boot is amazing.

The interface is fairly basic but has everything that I need. It works well and the remote is simple. I like having Netflix, YouTube and Vudu which stream at 4k and Amazon should be soon to follow. It seems like most of the manufacturers don't have one of the major streaming companies due to content wars.

After some tweaking the picture quality looks very nice. It handles upscaling decently but I feel it could be better. But again, considering the price of this set, I can't complain. There is also some judder but it seems to have gotten less noticeable after tweaking the settings.

I would still like to have someone calibrate settings on the standard mode. Both @vapormodel's calibration and the latest posted by @bhazard make my set look a bit washed out. It may be preference but I seem to like the slightly brighter colors that the standard setting offers.

Overall, amazing set for the money. Looking forward to seeing what others say about it and it is nice to see they finally put it on their website. I also hope rtings does a review of it soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just want to throw another confirmation in the pile. I had been running at less then 444 Chroma and just living with it until I saw the post about using the samsung display driver. Outside of having to reboot to disable driver signature requirements it was completely painless and I now have full Chroma 444. Not just listed as available but passed all tests including un-scaled fox print color test! I was able to get by with the other settings but glad to see someone figured out a work around to the TV not identifying itself properly to windows!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the useful links. I'm on 444 chroma 60hz now after losing my mind trying to figure out why Nvidia wouldnt let me when everyone said the TV could do it. My question is with the Samsung driver, is there a way to bring the sound back over HDMI? It seems to have broken mine even after several restarts and Windows showing audio is playing over the HDMI connection. Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
settings

I put in the recommended settings under theater, however, when I plug it into the computer the overscan is horrible. I tried fixing it on Nvidia but it lowers the resolution to 3850X2160 due to the aspect ratio being on Wide. Anyone know how to fix the aspect ratio on tv instead of the computer? On the TV it is grey'd out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Lent53

I used Disney's Blu-ray calibration disk and got these settings. I was mainly focused on getting the contrast perfect:
Picture mode Theater
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Sharpness: 2 (zero is probably accurate, but you can really adjust this to taste)
I'm actually using adaptive contrast on Low as it was the only way I could get the contrast perfect.
White balance is natural.
While each panel is probably different, I changed the following settings in the advanced color tuner settings:
Green: Hue 1
Yellow: Saturation 3 (personal preference)
Cyan Hue -1 Saturation 3.
@John West & @njd.sina
I can't get 4k 4:4:4 to work. I installed the drivers linked in the top of this post. I'm using the Nvidia GTX 960. I can do 1080 4:4:4 but at 4k I get no other options. I feel like I need to enable the Enhanced mode for the HDMI ports in Hisense's menu, but when I do the TV goes black and can't receive any 4k from the computer.
@Sucio
I need to recheck what my resolution is. I did use Nvidia's control panel to fix the over scan and aspect ratio.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I have been playing around with the settings from Vapormodel for better color, contrast, etc., and found that if I switched the Picture Mode to Standard it immediately showed a dramatic increase in everything. So I turned the backlight, brightness, contrast, and color down to 38, 47, 44, and 44, and now have a much more dynamic picture. More 3D looking, more saturated color, and good balance overall. I think the Theater setting makes the colors lean too much toward red and tuned down contrast.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I am surprised this TV did not get more attention. I purchased one for my daughter and it does a really good job for the price. She watches allot of Netflix and games a little on it and so far it has not had any issues.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Please help!?!?

I just got a 55H8C. It looks great when YouTube plays 4K. However, the only way I can get the display to say "4K HDR" is to change the "HDMI Function - Format" setting to "Enhanced". And when I do that, the picture looks very bad. It's dark with muted colors. Again, when I make the HDMI Function Format to Standard, the picture looks great, but the YouTube display doesn't say "HDR" - it only says "4K". Can someone explain this?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Please help!?!?

I just got a 55H8C. It looks great when YouTube plays 4K. However, the only way I can get the display to say "4K HDR" is to change the "HDMI Function - Format" setting to "Enhanced". And when I do that, the picture looks very bad. It's dark with muted colors. Again, when I make the HDMI Function Format to Standard, the picture looks great, but the YouTube display doesn't say "HDR" - it only says "4K". Can someone explain this?
Are you using the embedded You Tube application?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are you using the embedded You Tube application?
I'm using a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the HDMI 4 input. Even with the "Enhanced Format", the built-in YouTube app on the TV only displays the "4K" symbol. I cannot get "HDR" to appear using the TV's YouTube app. "HDR" only appears when I use the Chromecast Ultra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the HDMI 4 input. Even with the "Enhanced Format", the built-in YouTube app on the TV only displays the "4K" symbol. I cannot get "HDR" to appear using the TV's YouTube app. "HDR" only appears when I use the Chromecast Ultra.
That is true. The built-in app (Netflix button on the TV remote) only displays 4K. I have the Chromecast Ultra connected to HDMI#4 on my 50 H8C and it does support HDR.

pbm

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the Chromecast Ultra connected to HDMI#4 on my 50 H8C and it does support HDR.
Here are the example images I sent to Hisense support:
Standard HDMI Format / 4K-only: http://i.imgur.com/8YE6Njw.jpg
Enhanced HDMI Format / 4K+HDR: http://i.imgur.com/HEkpoEU.jpg

They eventually called me and the representative was kind and knowledgeable about the technology. He said their technicians will need to review all my info. I have not heard back yet.

Can anyone prove with pictures like this that HDR mode looks better on their Hisense 8C series TV (showing the HDR tag on screen)? For me, HDR looks much worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I have HDR enabled for my PS4Pro should I manually put my backlight to 100? I currently am using all the Rtings calibrations.(my backlight is at 41). I've seen some contradictory information on settings for HDR and wanted to hear from others who own the 50H8c.

·
Registered
227 Posts
im trying to install the firmware to enable hdr but having no luck . when trying to update firmware thru the ui it tells me no firmware available. when trying via usb stick (manually) it doesnt recognize nor does it update anything .
any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm running audio through the AUX port to an older Aiwa stereo. For some reason when I use the TV I get no sound out of the left speaker. When I plug the cable into my phone, I get sound from both. Also, when I play audio through my computer's HDMI to the TV to the aux, I get no sound from the left speaker, but when I plug the aux directly into my computer I get sound.

Any ideas? What should my sound settings be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought my 55 H8C a few weeks back. Still can't seem to get the calibration right, RTGS was a bit too red on the skin tones. Maybe I am used to my Panasonic Plasma but so far not loving the colors on this TV.

My real issue is this, my "overscan" is stuck on and my aspect ratio is stuck on "wide". I am watching everything through my Xbox One S.

Any else having this issue?

Thanks,

·
Registered
227 Posts
has anyone had any issue where the tv keeps randomly turning itself on ? i can figure out whats causing it ? any suggestions?

also is there a way to power off the tv after a specfic amount of inactivity example 60 minutes?

i dont see that settign anywhere.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts