AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1533 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
The H8F also has black crush and contrast clipping in HDR. To alleviate this, I dropped Contrast down to 42 and bumped Brightness up to 54 (or 52 if using the default Contrast of 58). This alleviates black crush and clipping in HDR without raising the black level. If you go above Brightness of 54 with the Contrast set to 42 then you'll start raising the black level. I wouldn't touch Brightness with SDR as it seems to be fine. Again, this for the H8F. I have no experience with the H9F, so I don't know how well this would translate to that TV.
Looking at the EOTFs for the H8F and H9F, I'd say that works a lot better (but not perfect) on the H8F, which mostly has just black crush. The H9F has black crush and makes bright scenes too bright in a nonlinear fashion, first increasing it with a high slope, then going below linear to the max brightness. Brightness bump effectively adds an intercept, and contrast decreases the overall slope.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/hisense-h8f-vs-hisense-h9f/839/908?usage=7318&threshold=0.1#comparison_2411 (search for EOTF since their #linking is before images load for some reason)

Interesting, TCL, at least for their 8-series, heard the complaints and actually released a firmware that fixed it. Their 2019 6-Series is still worse than the 2018 6-Series though. Would love it if Hisense updated the H9F to fix that, would probably make it my next TV.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3084598-tcl-8-series-6-series-qled-tvs-42.html#post58762794

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hisense generally has bad color with once it moves to wide gamut spaces. No review tests it really but if they were to run primary value scales, the h9f largely drops the ball on darker skin tones. You can guess it if you look at the wide gamut map on the rtings review, patches are spaced silly and there is great difference between hues.

Pull up King of Netflix, I have it next to Vizio m558 right now and h9f makes people look like zombies in comparison. You can alleviate some of it by offsetting red a point but there is linearity issues still.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the safer online store from preventing the tv smashed during shipment?

Hello, I know you all suggest to buy the tv directly, but I live outside the US and my country doesn't sell this tv. It's freaking expensive to return the tv back in case is damaged,
so I have not intentions to return and that's why my question. I want to take the least risky way (hoping the cargo ship won't damage it).
Best Buy accepts international orders but only if the product remains in the US, so I have only 3 options:

- Amazon: I use Amazon most of the time, but some people here are complaining about UPS damaging the TV from Amazon.

- BrandsMart USA store (from Ebay): I have read very bad reviews about this store.

- Walmart: I have not bought any product online yet (Is Walmart using UPS as well?).

*Apologies my english If I mispelled something, thank you.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
- Amazon: I use Amazon most of the time, but some people here are complaining about UPS damaging the TV from Amazon.
Got mine from Amazon, no damage. Not double boxed, just the thin corrugated box that you would get if you bought it in the store.

There is a thick piece of corrugated cardboard over the screen.

hth

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just wanted to chime in real quick for anyone like me who’s having a difficult time picking TVs. My friend got a 65” X900F that I had a chance to play with last night.

I hooked up my Apple 4K TV to it to test a bunch of stuff out and I have to say....I was NOT impressed....the Hisense H9F has spoiled me! The colors were just washed out and the black levels were just not up to par with what my H9F puts out. This puts me at ease in a sense because that was one of the main TVs I was looking at instead of the H9F.

Now though, I saw Costco’s Black Friday price on the 65” Vizio Quantum X and I’m VERY tempted to give that a shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had the X900F and was scratching my head on people loving it some say natural colors. Looked weird and washed out to me like low color contrast and the blooming is far worse than the Vizio P55-F1 we had. I legit loved upscaling of 1080p content though. If Sony sold a non fald X950G/X900F I'm down as I like their processor for sub 4K and no cross-hatching.. but then again, not sure about their colors.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello, I know you all suggest to buy the tv directly, but I live outside the US and my country doesn't sell this tv. It's freaking expensive to return the tv back in case is damaged,
so I have not intentions to return and that's why my question. I want to take the least risky way (hoping the cargo ship won't damage it).
Best Buy accepts international orders but only if the product remains in the US, so I have only 3 options:

- BrandsMart USA store (from Ebay): I have read very bad reviews about this store.

- Walmart: I have not bought any product online yet (Is Walmart using UPS as well?).

*Apologies my english If I mispelled something, thank you.
Not sure but afaik some strategy on another site from a year ago mentioned that they always do a store pickup for walmart tvs and have an employee present while they unbox the TV to see if the panel is smashed/dinged.

Some had problem returning sets and having a fight with CS since CS assumes it's the buyer's fault and won't do a refund.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The H8F also has black crush and contrast clipping in HDR. To alleviate this, I dropped Contrast down to 42 and bumped Brightness up to 54 (or 52 if using the default Contrast of 58). This alleviates black crush and clipping in HDR without raising the black level. If you go above Brightness of 54 with the Contrast set to 42 then you'll start raising the black level. I wouldn't touch Brightness with SDR as it seems to be fine. Again, this for the H8F. I have no experience with the H9F, so I don't know how well this would translate to that TV.
Looking at the EOTFs for the H8F and H9F, I'd say that works a lot better (but not perfect) on the H8F, which mostly has just black crush. The H9F has black crush and makes bright scenes too bright in a nonlinear fashion, first increasing it with a high slope, then going below linear to the max brightness. Brightness bump effectively adds an intercept, and contrast decreases the overall slope.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/hisense-h8f-vs-hisense-h9f/839/908?usage=7318&threshold=0.1#comparison_2411 (search for EOTF since their #linking is before images load for some reason)

Interesting, TCL, at least for their 8-series, heard the complaints and actually released a firmware that fixed it. Their 2019 6-Series is still worse than the 2018 6-Series though. Would love it if Hisense updated the H9F to fix that, would probably make it my next TV.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3084598-tcl-8-series-6-series-qled-tvs-42.html#post58762794
Who told you that the 6 series 2019 is worse then the 2018. Why cause Rtings said it took a step down in brightness in HDR. Let me tell you something . The TCL QLED is no friggin joke. The colors on this thing kill the 2018 tv. I know cause I still have the 20186 series.

Also whoever is saying the motion sucks on this TV are lying or maybe they are more susceptible to motion. I see no motion problems at all. What TCL did with there upscaling algorithms this year is just truly a sight to see. No banding, no cross hatching dithering, no micro blocking or artifacting ( but that mostly has to do with the source and not the tv necessarily). What Rtings doesnt tell you that 2019 6 series has QUAD CPU processing compared to last year's 2018 DUAL CPU processing. That is HUGE. This TV comes very close to OLED. No joke. It's not OLED. I didnt say that but comes very close. I can't praise enough on the quality of the upscaling. HDR is alittle dimmer then the 2018 6 series but not by much and it's still bright enough to bring out the HDR highlights. The black uniformity and contrast are out of the world. I am serious go get the tv for yourself. The colors are natural and not over blown like the H9F. My buddy has the H9F yes it will wow you at first but then after awhile you are like yeah these colors are way overblown. Not saying H9F is a bad tv mind you but the TCL beats it. Rtings has this wrong and must have gotten a bad panel. I have very very little vignetting. It's there if you look for it on a blank color background but not very noticable atleast on my panel. So in conclusion. I'am just say WOW to myself. The upscaling alone is worth the buy alone let alone the Quantum Dot. Rtings never even brought up that TCL introduced Quantum Dot this year in there review. I started a thread about that under there review on there site and they updated the review to reflect that. I mean really?? Its the first year TCL implimented QD. Rtings mentions QD on other TV reviews.

Any way I'am rambling here. Go get this TV. I was a TCL skeptic til I bought one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am still in the return period for my H9F.
I am not happy with the way 4K HDR displays on Netflix. It does not look good to me and there seems to be only 2 or 3 presets to change the picture when it is in HDR mode. If you guys could have gotten a Vizio P65X for the same exact price as your H9F(which I can), would you have considered it ?
I look at it at Costco and it looks pretty good to me. I know there are some negative things out there about it, but that goes for every tv in production.

·
Registered
277 Posts

I am not happy with the way 4K HDR displays on Netflix. It does not look good to me and there seems to be only 2 or 3 presets to change the picture when it is in HDR mode. If you guys could have gotten a Vizio P65X for the same exact price as your H9F(which I can), would you have considered it ?

I look at it at Costco and it looks pretty good to me. I know there are some negative things out there about it, but that goes for every tv in production.

This is what I’m trying to decide on too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all, I have a 65H9F and Denon 6400H AVR. My AVR is on the backwall of my family room, and the TV is hung on the other side, a high speed fiber optic HDMI connects them. Unfortunately, the monoprice fiber HDMI that I ran doesn't support ARC even though the description says it did....grumble. I also have CAT6 run between the two.

I'd like to use the native apps in the H9F for 4K content. Right now I have a SPDIF over CAT6 converter but I can't get it to work the way I'd like it to.

The H9F seems to only have 3 audio output selections, TV Speakers, ARC, and Bluetooth. It seems SPDIF only works when it is in TV Speaker mode and have to shut off HDMI CEC, but then I have to manually mute the TV, and use the AVR remote to control audio volume. If I use CEC-HDMI mode, the TV wants to use ARC (which doesn't work), but I can go back to using the Hisense remote to control volume for the AVR when selecting other sources such as Cable TV.

I even tried connecting the AVR HDMI cable to the H9F HDMI #2 input, but then it automatically selects TV speakers. I wish I could just output SPDIF and use HDMI CEC at the same time. Any thoughts?

I may end up getting a HDMI over CAT6 converted that supports ARC, but they're pricey.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Smiler, gdog, you are both right, hdr/dv on the h9f is off as it desaturates darker tones, leaving jaundiced skin tones which we have evolved to pick up on quickly. You can adjust this to some degree with the 20 point white balance (decrease blue and green on the 5 percent and 10 percent points) but it does not fully match up with the well separated tones on the Vizio m558 for example.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post to the forums, so I wanted to thank you all for sharing all this great information and your experiences. I have browsed through some of the other threads and this place is jammed pack full of the information needed to sift through the abundance of products and tech flooding the market. A true gem for anyone that has stepped away from keeping up with it all.

I am chiming in to share my experience thus far in pulling the trigger on the 65H9F.

I did a lot of research prior to deciding on this unit and I am determined... (hopefull) to get a good set through a bad streak of panel issues.

I was not able to get the 65" through my local BB, due to there availability at the time I placed my order. I reluctantly went with Amazon but couldn't be happier with the way they have handled my concerns.

I'm on my second unit, waiting for one more try, to arrive in a couple days. The first panel had a couple zones (FLAD?) just off center that seemed to be about 10 percent brighter than the rest of the screen and a large darker cloud (dse) on the opposite side of center. After about a week I couldn't look at it without my eyes being pulled to lightened zones.

I called Amazon and they had a new unit on it's way within the 10 min phone call, with a 30 day grace period and a prepaid return label to return the original unit. I was expecting much more hassle and some down time for sure.

Well I found plenty of hassle on the next go.... So I get the second unit in 2 days and eagerly get it unboxed to do a thorough inspection. As soon as the first splash screen lit up I seen what looked like a fingerprint on the bottom half of the panel... I went through the setup to get to a full screen image and then seen 3 more spots the size of a fingerprint on the upper half of the screen, evenly spaced across in a row and centered. They weren't wiping off and were imbedded in the display. One other small spot and a mild line a couple inches from the top edge... I was sickened and spent the next couple of days pondering what to do. I really couldn't decide if I just wanted to send both back and wait on a refund or what options were available, so I called Amazon again and explained the issue. This time they called Hisense and transferred my call with the manufacturer.

This was the start of, let's say a process..... Basically, send pictures, wait for the guy behind the curtain to review them, wait for no response, call back, send more pics, rinse and repeat..... Wipe the screen and send more pics, wait another day, call them again, now they don't see any issues, take more pictures, circle the .... spots, wait another day, call back, nope don't see any issues, get heated, request a supervisor, luckily he has better vision and will initiate the next step. Wait on a callback to hear they want to schedule an appointment in a week for a guy to come "decommission" the unit, then wait another week to deliver another unit. During this conversation I was not convinced that the next unit was going to have any better chance of being with out flaws as I was told all there units are inspected before being sent out, reminding him yeah, I got two of those already and if you break this one, my refund with Amazon is void. Let me call you back.... 10 days of effort waisted, but if this was my last resort, I guess I would be more willing to go that route.

Gave it a couple days and called Amazon back and explained the process I went through, and the concern I had with the manufacturers proposa. Then I asked if they would be willing to try another attempt at a replacement, before I requested a refund. We'll find out in a couple days how that turns out, as it's on its way.

At this point I can't say how impressed I am with Amazon. My return window would have been closed at some stores, and I would probably be barred and jailed if I had to handle it in person. They're definitely going above and beyond at trying to resolve the issue, only questions asked were to describe the problem, 2 day free shipping, free returns with a 30 day window, after I receive the replacement. Standing behind their products better than the manufacturer themselves...

I hope that it was just really bad luck because this TV is amazing and will still be worth going through all that, if I get a keeper. Please tell me some of you have some good panels in here and send those prayers, vibes, or perfect pixel power dance if that's your thing, because I feel like I need some higher power level love with this one after all the ups and downs involved so far. To be continued...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am not happy with the way 4K HDR displays on Netflix.
Could this be a Netflix / bitrate issue? I got rid of Netflix before I got the H9F but 4K HDR looks great for me using Vudu and Amazon Prime.

I think Netflix lowers the bitrate to maintain a steady stream but you can try to force it higher.

https://www.techjunkie.com/video-quality-netflix/

hth

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
At this point I can't say how impressed I am with Amazon. My return window would have been closed at some stores, and I would probably be barred and jailed if I had to handle it in person. They're definitely going above and beyond at trying to resolve the issue, only questions asked were to describe the problem, 2 day free shipping, free returns with a 30 day window, after I receive the replacement. Standing behind their products better than the manufacturer themselves...

I hope that it was just really bad luck because this TV is amazing and will still be worth going through all that, if I get a keeper. Please tell me some of you have some good panels in here and send those prayers, vibes, or perfect pixel power dance if that's your thing, because I feel like I need some higher power level love with this one after all the ups and downs involved so far. To be continued...
Dang sorry to hear about your bad panel, some of you make me feel like I won the lottery with mine.

Amazon has always been great to me with returns. The only times they have refused returns is when they have shipped me things by mistake (not charged) and when I informed them to try and return they said keep 'em. :)

Hope your next one is as good as mine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could this be a Netflix / bitrate issue? I got rid of Netflix before I got the H9F but 4K HDR looks great for me using Vudu and Amazon Prime.

I think Netflix lowers the bitrate to maintain a steady stream but you can try to force it higher.

https://www.techjunkie.com/video-quality-netflix/

hth
My account is set to HIGH on my PC. I am assuming that carries over to each device. I also have VUDU and my 4K downloads just don't look that good. But 4k on youtube looks pretty good. Although I am not sure how to tell if its 4k or not on youtube app.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Although I am not sure how to tell if its 4k or not on youtube app.
Using internal apps gives no signal info but with my Fire Stick 4K youtube 4K videos do come into the H9F as 4K.

What firmware are you on? With J0615 I was thinking of returning because skin gradients were awful, foreheads looked splotchy.

J1008 really improved things, skin gradients are top notch and I see all the subtle tone changes in peoples faces.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
HDMI standard / enhanced glitch?

This has happened a few times now.

The first time the entire screen took a huge red shift, dark and oversaturated. After some trial and error I found switching from enhanced HDMI to standard then back to enhanced fixed it.

2nd time, same thing.

Today I had a 4K movie paused using Roku Premiere 4K and the entire screen was pulsating brightness. Same fix.

Not sure what end the issue is on but if it happens with my Fire Stick 4K we will know it's the H9F.

55" J1008

·
Registered
240 Posts
Has anyone or does anyone recommend getting this set calibrated?
With the current LUTs they have built it I wouldn't bother, the HDR/DV curves are kind of crap and you cannot really calibrate that well for them with a simple 20 point white balance tool (there is no way to make dark greens greener and dark reds redder without making grays go brown for example). Maybe give it another couple updates to see if they change things as that would undo your calibration regardless.

For now I would suggest pulling up a grayscale and using that to eyeball something neutral. You can then use this
(though you can download the full version here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html )
to desaturate your colors a bit so that they are not clipping (this tv murders reds).

781 - 800 of 1533 Posts