AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's bits of information scattered in this forum in different threads on this TV but I wanted to post my experience and give this tv its own dedicated thread.

I bought mine 4 days ago after researching quite a bit what was out there with the best being a" Pioneer and Panasonic. That was the case until I saw this TV with a rare good feed to all the TVs in a Circuit City. The detail in the Hitachi was absolutely amazing. What was also noticeable was much less of a screen door effect compared to the competition.

I bought mine at the same local Circuit City and they price matched me within $50 of the best online price through pricegrabber. Got the tv home and the first image was super bright and very harsh. I adjusted everything down to 50 values and tuned in the local channels. The first HD on the screen was a PBS documentary and it made the demo in the store look silly as it was absolutely amazing. Wow!

Over the past few days I have arrived at my "Air" settings being at:

Picture Mode Night

Contrast 45

Brightness 50

Color 20

Tint middle position; no adjustment

Sharpness 50

Color temp High- gives the most accurate color. The other two are too warm

Black enhancement Off

Contrast Mode Normal

Noise reduction Low

Detail, color, contrast, and overall picture quality is absolutely incredible! CSI Miami tonight was amazing.

My goods and bads are:

Goods

Overall image quality: highest 42" plasma image resolution. Least screen door effect. Excellent contrast and black detail.

Many menu and input options; 3 hdmi, component, etc.

Swivel stand

Bads

Remote time to activate menu on screen is slow to start, though fine once in it.

Channel changing is slow.

ATSC tuner maybe not sensitve enough. Or, maybe my amplified antenna is not too good? Can't tell as the signal indicator shows strong signals, in the 90s, but the bar turns to red while still getting that strong signal, and when that happens the picture breaks up and disappears.

Local NBC HD shows green noise along a vertical edge as if too much of the raw picture is being shown. I use that channel in the the "16:9 standard 1" option, which crops a bit more, unfortunately, than the full view "16:9 standard 2" option. To be fair though I don't see this as a TV problem as my other HD channels are not affected in the full view 2 option. It would be very nice if you coud adjust cropping manually as I would be able to crop off that little bit of green and keep all of the original image on the screen.

I have heard all the advice about breaking in plasmas with 50%, or less, settings on contrast and brightness but in my case the best settings are already around that point so I don't see anything to worry about. I have no problems yet with image retention or screen burn. My black "bars" for 4:3 content is turned off and shows the grey option instead; nice feature.

My price was $2150 and I am extremely statisfied. Don't order these things through mail order. The box is huge and these tvs are pretty damn heavy. You risk poor handling and damage in transit. Print out a pricegrabber price quote and ask the local stores to match them, as I did.

I'm thinking of buying the Toshiba HD-DVD player but I am concerned about which format will win. I had one of the first Betamax VCRs.
I would love to see what HD dvds, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, would look like on this tv.

Anyway, that's all for now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For me its between this and the Panny 42px60u and I am leaning toward the Panny

Isnt the screen door affect mainly with DLP's?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 /forum/post/0

For me its between this and the Panny 42px60u and I am leaning toward the Panny

Isnt the screen door affect mainly with DLP's?

The Hitachi has a higher resolution and a different type of design as it relates to the pixel shape and the space between the visible pixels. The Panasonic has more spacing between pixels and less resolution overall making the screen door effect more visible. The screen door effect affects any pixel pased display.

I was leaning towards a Panasonic too until I saw the Hitachi next to a couple of Panasonics and got a chance to fiddle with each over a number of days. There was no contest on image resolution and detail, with color and contrast equally outstanding, especially once you get it home and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Delphi96: I'm pleased that you decided create a post on the new Hitachi 42HDS69. There hasn't been a ton of talk about the plasma (yet) but in time, I'm sure we'll see more people discussing it. I've been saving for a plasma for over a year now & I have little more then $2600.00 in my TV fund. I had my heart set on an NEC 42" & I fell in love with it! Had to drive 60 miles away to find it on display. But, last week I went into CC & right away I noticed the 42HDS69 & my jaw simply dropped! The Panny 42" was right next to it with decent feeds & to me the Hitachi simply won out IMHO, as you did, I tweaked the settings on both sets. I know there are a lot of happy Panasonic plasma owners & it is a damn fine looking picture, but to my eyes the Hitachi is the clear winner.

Also, the fit & finished on the Hitachi is rock solid, almost a work of art in comparison to the Panny. I live in Massachuetts & we're going to have a "Tax Free" on the weekend of August 12th & 13th. I'm hoping it will be on sale, plus I have a 10% off coupon good until the end of this year. I hoping I can score this for @ least the same or maybe a tad lower then what you paid for the Hitachi.

Your concerns on the remote don't really effect me because I program my DirecTV HD10-250 Tivo remote anyway, so I rarley use the TV remote. Also, thank you for the settings, I'll follow your lead next week for the burn-in time table. I'll use the D*TV Tivo STB for OTA with my Antennas Direct DB-8. Some people have had "Flicker" issues, but it seems like it's more with the 55" 720P/768P model.

I'm glad I held off on the NEC 42" (which is a damn fine unit) & found the Hitachi 42HDS69! Life is good now, but it will be better in a week & the NFL games will be here soon enough!

Again...Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your new purchase! Good luck & I'm sure I'll chime back with my findings.

Regards,

Alex

·
Registered
616 Posts
Guys...I called CC today & they said to come in today & they will credit my tax later next week because it will be so busy next weekend for the tax free weekend! I have the 42HDS69 downstairs. Waiting for a buddy to come over after 5:00PM. I paid [EDIT] Great deal.

Anyway...I also bought this speaker stand for my Klipsch Center Channel speaker. It works out perfectly! It's 30"H & the Hitachi 42HDS29 is 28 1/8" H with the stand. BTW...I had to buy the pair, so if someone is interested in this stand for $25.00 delivered, please e-mail me. It has a black base & a light cherry stand.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SUaWcCQ...&display=L#Tab

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I just had the opportunity to look at 6 different plasmas all in a big wall of plasma lol it was great. They were arranged as 3 on top and 3 on bottom there was panny 60u, pio 5071, some lg model, a toshiba and hitachi 42hdt79 and a NEC but i didn't look at the model #s of the toshiba lg or the NEC. Well It was about 20 mins till closing and I have a friend who works there so I got to stay after close to really get a feel for the plasmas in the dark. He shut off the lights i stood about 10 feet back (not knowing which was which at this point) and me and the manager took a look, first was a hd feed from some treasure channel, I dunno but it look freaking amazing on all the plasmas, but one caught my eye as being very grainy looking on the bottom at the far left, so i kept my eye on it. We played regular dvd "the fifth element superbit" and WOW it look great!!! now I had my choices down to three because after viewing the few sources i felt the top 3 were superior to the bottom 3. We watched "fresh prince of bel air" regular cable as well as CNN and the spike tv. After bout 45 minutes i had made my decision about which on i was gonna buy and it was........... The 42hdt79 by hitachi (ding ding ding)

So the lights came back on and I looked at the brands and found that the top 3 were the pio the lg and the hitachi, the one that I had basically gone to look at the 60u didn't even look that great. I was super disappointed to say the least. Before i had got there i wanted to view the pio the panny and the hitachi, they were my big 3. The hitachi had a better picture than the pio??? your damn straight it did!! no mater what feed we gave it the hitachi was crisper, more detailed and more 3d looking than the others, I was really suprised the lg looked so dam good but it did. I just got it home and once my stand arrives I will set it up and take some pics. YA baby I'm excited now!!!!! hehehehehe

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm glad you like your Hitachi 42HDS69. I just set mine up last night. Tweaked it right off with Avia & watched PBS (2-1) here in Boston OTA. Simply amazing! Then I threw in "Shawshank Redemption" thru my Sony upconverting DVD player @ 1080i. What can I say....I'm so damn happy right now! Even my wife who doesn't give a damn about TV images thought HD & the DVD's looked wonderful.

I wont go crazy with details because everyone has their own eyes, but to me, Hitachi has stepped-up their build of plasmas. Last year, I thought Hitachi had some of the worst images & now I'm sold! BTW...watching DVD's last night in a dark room I thought the blacks were very clean. One of Hitachi's issues from year(s) past.

All in all I'm pleased. I did go ahead & purchased a "Mac Camera" 3 year extended warranty from B&H Photo online. Short money for the protection. I bought one years ago for my 22" HD WS Samsung LCD & it died on me last year. Brought it down to my local Samsung service center & the bill came to $679.00! Mac Camera quickly paid the bill & now it's work like a charm!

Good luck with your new purchase! Like you.....I'm a happy man!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear you guys are pleased with the Hitachi. I'm still amazed every time I watch HD on it. Right now there is a football game on NBC and the picture quality is unreal. Absolutely amazing!

My settings for "air" are still basically the same but for DVDs through component 3 I have bumped up brightness while also activating the "dynamic" contrast mode. When I watch 4:3 I tend to use the expanded option as it does something interesting in that is stretches the outside portions of the image more while the middle portion is affected very little so people look normal. When I do watch 4:3 in its original ratio I have the side bars with the grey option. My display shows absolutely no burn in.

I will soon be ordering the new Toshiba HD DVD player and I'm looking forward to see how well the picture will look.

The best HD quality show I have seen so far on this display is probably CSI Miami and by far the worse being NCIS. That show looks horrible in comparison with a very soft picture.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/0

I just had the opportunity to look at 6 different plasmas all in a big wall of plasma lol it was great. They were arranged as 3 on top and 3 on bottom there was panny 60u, pio 5071, some lg model, a toshiba and hitachi 42hdt79 and a NEC but i didn't look at the model #s of the toshiba lg or the NEC. Well It was about 20 mins till closing and I have a friend who works there so I got to stay after close to really get a feel for the plasmas in the dark. He shut off the lights i stood about 10 feet back (not knowing which was which at this point) and me and the manager took a look, first was a hd feed from some treasure channel, I dunno but it look freaking amazing on all the plasmas, but one caught my eye as being very grainy looking on the bottom at the far left, so i kept my eye on it. We played regular dvd "the fifth element superbit" and WOW it look great!!! now I had my choices down to three because after viewing the few sources i felt the top 3 were superior to the bottom 3. We watched "fresh prince of bel air" regular cable as well as CNN and the spike tv. After bout 45 minutes i had made my decision about which on i was gonna buy and it was........... The 42hdt79 by hitachi (ding ding ding)

So the lights came back on and I looked at the brands and found that the top 3 were the pio the lg and the hitachi, the one that I had basically gone to look at the 60u didn't even look that great. I was super disappointed to say the least. Before i had got there i wanted to view the pio the panny and the hitachi, they were my big 3. The hitachi had a better picture than the pio??? your damn straight it did!! no mater what feed we gave it the hitachi was crisper, more detailed and more 3d looking than the others, I was really suprised the lg looked so dam good but it did. I just got it home and once my stand arrives I will set it up and take some pics. YA baby I'm excited now!!!!! hehehehehe

Were they all proffesionally set up?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
yes they were calibrated, the store manager calibrates them with a avia, not professional but better than most stores. I was in there last night with a friend of mine who saw my tv and went to buy one for himself and my friend who works their said they sold all the 42hdt79's off in 2 days hahaha. 6 plasmas in 2 days of the same brand? other people must have seen what i did

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/0

yes they were calibrated, the store manager calibrates them with a avia, not professional but better than most stores. I was in there last night with a friend of mine who saw my tv and went to buy one for himself and my friend who works their said they sold all the 42hdt79's off in 2 days hahaha. 6 plasmas in 2 days of the same brand? other people must have seen what i did

I haven't seen the 42hdt79 in a store but according to the specs from the Hitachi site it is the same TV as the cheaper 42HDS69 except that it has more color control in the menu, has a powered swivel base, different remote, USB connection, TV Guide, IR output and pass through (a cool feature), and an all black design.

I figured I mention this as except for the extra color controls the image quality will be exactly the same as the cheaper 42HDS69 and if someone is not interested in those extra features they can save money and buy it instead.

Good for Hitachi for doing well with this line of plasmas as they deserve it. I believe these plasmas are easily the best buy out there for 42."

An update on picture quality: I watched my first 720P programming ( Greys Anatomy? and Desperate House wives) and you could see that 1080i programming is noticeably better in displayed resolution. The only show worse, though, has been NCIS, which is shown in 1080i. That was terrible quality. I'll have to compare more 720P programming to make a more well informed conclusion in comparing both HD formats.

As with SD programming quality varies from show to show except now we can clearly see those differences wereas before it was less noticeable. I also clearly notice cameras going in and out of focus as opposed to SD where I rarely noticed that.

This is an awesome TV. I can't wait to hook up an HD DVD player to it.
I'll post my results when I get one soon.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Delphi: I haven't had any "flicker" issues that some people have reported. How is your 42HDS69 working out?

Also is this the breakdown of OTA resolutions:

CBS=1080i

ABC=720P

NBC=720P

PBS=1080i (@ least I think it is here in the Boston area)

Fox=720P

I'm I right with these? I didn't include any D* resolutions because it's watered-down anyway.

Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I just ordered the Hitachi 42HDS69, cant wait, but Im having one hell of a time trying to find the contrast ratio for this set, does anyone know, oh and has anyone hooked up an Xbox 360 to it. Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTON-HD /forum/post/0

Delphi: I haven't had any "flicker" issues that some people have reported. How is your 42HDS69 working out?

Also is this the breakdown of OTA resolutions:

CBS=1080i

ABC=720P

NBC=720P

PBS=1080i (@ least I think it is here in the Boston area)

Fox=720P

I'm I right with these? I didn't include any D* resolutions because it's watered-down anyway.

Alex

I haven't seen any flickering.

All those are correct except NBC which is also 1080i.

I wish FOX and PBS were too as I think 1080i is superior, overall, to 720P. When they can do 1080P effeciently then that will be a different story. ESPN is also 720P but everyone else is 1080i.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomDiddy /forum/post/0

Hey guys, I just ordered the Hitachi 42HDS69, cant wait, but Im having one hell of a time trying to find the contrast ratio for this set, does anyone know, oh and has anyone hooked up an Xbox 360 to it. Thanks

Hitachi doesn't mention it in their site or in the manual.

I wouldn't worry about that too much because as far as I can see with my eyes the contrast ratio is comparable to its most worthy competitors like the Pioneers and the Panasonics. In my opinion it is similar enough to my previous CRT to not even worry about it. Now color is something else. I have never seen such gorgeous color in any plasma, or any other TV for that matter. Really.

I'm not a gamer so I can't help you with the Xbox question. I might be concerned with gaming on plasmas as image burn in may be a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading these posts I think I'm also going to order this one, and I too will be doing some 360 gaming.. is anybody else concerned with image burn?

·
Registered
2 Posts

v01 said:
After reading these posts I think I'm also going to order this one, and I too will be doing some 360 gaming.. is anybody else concerned with image burn?[/QUOTE

Ya I called Hitachi today and they said they dont even hace a contrast ration rating for any of their tvs since theirs no industry set standred, I asked the guy also if I should be worried about burn in while gaming, he said take a break every two hours and its better to have a moving picture as in a tv show or movie while taking a break from gaming then to just turn the tv off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my Hitachi for a month now and am still loving it...for those who asked I do have my xbox 360 (as well as original xbox) hooked up using the component inputs.

All I can say to you guys is WOW...especially with the games that are 1080i native resolution the display is freaking amazing...you'll love it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well finally got mine out of the box last night and played with it for a few hours. Set up the picture, watched pieces of a few movies, etc... Used the THX optimizer that came with Star Wars to set the picture, I think bringing the contrast and color down quite a bit helped the picture alot. So far I am very very pleased. Can't wait to hook up my Satilite and seem some HD. Here are my settings. If it matters - My player is the Denon 1730, HDMI in 1080i mode, in a fairly dark room.

Contrast - 48%

Brightness - 43%

Color - 20%

Tint - middle position

Sharpness - 50%

Color Temp - High

Black Enh - off (didn't experiment with this at all)

Contrast Mode - Normal

One thing - It seems like I had a slightly audible high pitch noise coming from the set. I didn't really notice it until I went to bed and my ears were ringing. I'm sure it's not from volume, I have not hooked it up to my AV receive yet. Just using the built in speakers. I don't think the sound was coming from the speakers anyhow. Anybody else experience this?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts