AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked at the Infocus website. Looks like they've got a crossover projector called the X1. The slogan implies it's a business projector with HT features. Anybody know more? Clear segment on the color wheel? Resolution?

I posted this in the >$5k forum and Bob from Infocus said it belonged here. To me that's good news.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Any morsels for us Bob?:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a press release at Projectorcentral.com

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
$1699 with DCDI, a 3000 hour lamp life, 2000:1 CR, 1000 Lumens and a 0.55 DMD chip from Texas Instruments.

And it sounds pretty good to me! Maybe one for the bedroom? The heck with that 36" Hitachi tube!

:)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
2000:1 CR and 1000 lumens?? I wonder why the 7200 is only 1400:1 CR and 1000 lumens.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoryW
2000:1 CR and 1000 lumens?? I wonder why the 7200 is only 1400:1 CR and 1000 lumens.
As with all projectors that have some optimizations for business, the CR will drop for video sources. The 7200 CR is quoted using video sources.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Bob W.,

This looks like an excellent bargain. One question: does it support WSVGA (like the ScreenPlay 110) or is it just standard SVGA?

The specs, as well as the overall design concept, look like a real winner. I think they have hit the nail on the head with their crossover design and appeal: folks I know in the presentation market are also asking: "can I use it at home with my DVD player?"

Bravo Infocus!

·
Registered
445 Posts
hi bob:

* how fast does the wheel spin? (still rainbow/headaches for some, or are these issues resolved now).

* how many noise db on the fan?

* does "video-scanning up to XGA resolution" on your website mean that the projector cannot downconvert HD sources (such as 1080i)?

* is there an XGA version coming soon?

* is the white segment turned off in video source mode?

* what is the luminescence in video mode?

Great to have you here. thanks for this help. hey, can you get infocus to sponsor this forum, too? a lot of potential customers and evangelists here...

regards,

/iaw

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith
This looks like an excellent bargain. One question: does it support WSVGA (like the ScreenPlay 110) or is it just standard SVGA?
It is standard SVGA since TI does not offer the new chips in the wide format as before. However, in the X1, 480p is still displayed natively in a 16:9 window so it should provide a very sharp picture.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

"However, in the X1, 480p is still displayed natively in a 16:9 window so it should provide a very sharp picture."

This could be a stupid question, but doesn't a 16:9 window within 800x600 come out to 800x450? Doesn't that mean 480p must be downscaled to 450 lines to fit?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ivo welch

hi bob:

* how fast does the wheel spin? (still rainbow/headaches for some, or are these issues resolved now).

The color wheel spins at 2x.

* how many noise db on the fan?

37 dBA

* does "video-scanning up to XGA resolution" on your website mean that the projector cannot downconvert HD sources (such as 1080i)?

No. The projector has no problem with HDTV sources. Some XGA sources are actually higher bandwidth than HDTV due to their high refresh rate.

* is there an XGA version coming soon?

I cannot say.

* is the white segment turned off in video source mode?

By default, yes. You can choose to turn on the white segment by switching to the "presentation" preset, if you like.

* what is the luminescence in video mode?

The brightness should drop by about 30% in video mode (as is the case with most projectors).

Great to have you here. thanks for this help. hey, can you get infocus to sponsor this forum, too? a lot of potential customers and evangelists here...

regards,

/iaw

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpshumway
Quote:

"However, in the X1, 480p is still displayed natively in a 16:9 window so it should provide a very sharp picture."

This could be a stupid question, but doesn't a 16:9 window within 800x600 come out to 800x450? Doesn't that mean 480p must be downscaled to 450 lines to fit?
Not necessarily. We are cropping the 480p signal to 450 lines (which is less cropping than most televisions) to maintain the native pixels.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thanks for the replies Bob.

Quote:
As with all projectors that have some optimizations for business, the CR will drop for video sources.
Have you found this to be common on "all" business projectors? I hope that is not the case, b/c I've had my eye on a new (business) projector that has a quoted 1300:1 CR vs. my current projector's CR of 800:1. The difference is the 10 degree vs. 12 degree chip.

Quote:
The brightness should drop by about 30% in video mode (as is the case with most projectors).
Interesting. I never knew that! That is quite significant.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoryW
Have you found this to be common on "all" business projectors? I hope that is not the case, b/c I've had my eye on a new (business) projector that has a quoted 1300:1 CR vs. my current projector's CR of 800:1. The difference is the 10 degree vs. 12 degree chip.
Yes. Every business projector I have ever measured does this. For business presentations, projectors typically boost greens (and whites in the case of DLPs) for maximum impact and ambient light resistance. These color boosts need to be turned off in video due to the awful consequences to the picture quality of film sources (especially skin tones). When you turn them off you lose brightness and contrast.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

"Not necessarily. We are cropping the 480p signal to 450 lines (which is less cropping than most televisions) to maintain the native pixels."

Interesting, does this mean that even on TV's which do the anamorphic squeeze you still have only 450 lines or so of actual picture information with the other 30 lost to "overscan"?

I learn something new every day, thanks.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpshumway
Quote:

"Not necessarily. We are cropping the 480p signal to 450 lines (which is less cropping than most televisions) to maintain the native pixels."

Interesting, does this mean that even on TV's which do the anamorphic squeeze you still have only 450 lines or so of actual picture information with the other 30 lost to "overscan"?

I learn something new every day, thanks.
If they are 4:3 TVs, then you will see all 480 lines when they "squeeze" for the anamorphic DVDs. However, most movies these days are shot at 1.85:1, not the 1.78:1 that is available in 16:9 480p. Therefore, there will be black bars on the top and bottom of the image. So most of the time when viewing 450 lines you will not be missing anything.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh, yes, I keep forgetting that 16:9 isint exactly 1.85:1. Close but no bannana.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would assume that if you don't want this cropping on a DVD, you could always switch the DVD player to do the anamorphic correction and then switch the projector to 4X3 mode. This loses the picture improvement resulting from anamorphic DVD's but would also give you the whole picture.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's a thread with more information including some info from Bob Williams at Infocus.

Infocus X1

NOTE: This link refers to this thread. This message was posted before I merged two duplicate X1 threads together. --Scott Gammans

1 - 20 of 436 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.