AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FedEx man just showed up yesterday with my X1.

I have just had a few hours to put it through its paces...

Please keep in mind that while I am fairly technically advanced, this is my first projector. I am a professional video editor/producer so I am comfortable with what an image should look like.

I am projecting on an off-white wall from my coffee table while i work out what to do with my basement.

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Thanks to lurking on AVS for quite some time i was well aware of the rainbow effect although I had never actually seen them before. The only other DLP that I have watched critically was the Sharp M20X. I did not see rainbows at all with that projector during a fairly lengthly demo. I had assumed I was not susceptible. I was wrong.

The X1 has rainbows. If you are very sensitive this effect then the X1 is not for you.

Because I have never seen them before I can't comment on the intensity of the rainbows but as i watched a movie (Ronin) they were mildly distracting. This might be a deal breaker for me but I need more time with the projector.

Fanning the flames

My biggest reservation about buying the X1 was the 37db noise rating. As it turns out this is a non-issue. This is a very quiet projector. Its seems to be a good bit quieter then the aforementioned Sharp M20X.

Image Quality

I hooked up my Sony non-progressive DVD player to the component input and sat down to watch Ronin and do a quick eyeball setup.

The image area looks pretty damn good. Nice contrast. Great color. Real red. OK blacks. Very smooth an film like image. Screendoor is not an issue for me past 1x screen width.

The cropped in 16 X 9 area was surrounded with the usual grey bars at the top and bottom. This was mildly disappointing for me. I had expected a bit less intense grey. These seemed brighter then the ones I remember from the M20X. Almost as distracting as the rainbows but at least I can fix this with masking in my final installation.

As I was adjusting the image just to see what the menu options did I noticed something bizarre. The projector has settings for cool, warm and warmest. The odd thing is that the cool setting gave the warmest picture and the warm setting seemed to give the coolest picture. Since the manual shows these settings as numerical values I would guess that firmware was changed at the last minute. I will have to do a bit more testing to confirm what is happening here and maybe give Infocus tech support a call.

The image in presentation mode was very biased to bright whites. I don't think I will be watching any video in this mode. When you switch to video or film mode the brightness gets cut by the expected 30% or so.

I was projecting about a 75" widescreen image on my wall and in a completely dark room. The image was bright enough to enjoy the movie. I don't think it would be bright enough to go much past 100". A real screen might help me here.

In 4:3 my 90" image from DirecTV was watchable. I was using the composite input because I did not have an s-video cable that was long enough. The requisite DCT compression artifacts were present as were some minor scaling artifacts. This is to be expected given the input signal quality. I am also getting some color ringing that I would attribute to the composite cable.

All in all I feel like this is a pretty good projector for the money.

The one thing that became very clear when watching the first movie is that there is no going back. Once you've seen that big projected image you are hooked! But then you guys already knew that!

Michael

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great review Michael. I am deciding between the X1 and Sanyo's Z1. Since I plan on watching a lot Digital Cable TV (some HD, most not), I am very interested in any picture improvements once you go from composite to Svideo, and then component if you have them.

This may be a stupid question, but are there still rainbows when viewing DirecTV? Are they better or worse than DVD?

Thanks!

patrick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patrick,

Since my room is not yet light controlled I won't be fooling with the projector until tonight. I will try to pay special attention to when I notice rainbows and when I don't.

Michael

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is interesting that you mentionned Ronin is the movie you saw rainbow with: When I first borrowed work's lp335, I did not see any rainbows and was glad it seemed I was rainbow safe, then the next week-end, I watched Ronin on the same pj and rainbows where all over ! Since then I haven't seen them, watching another 4-5 movies...

Try AOTC ? on that one, no rainbows at all; but instead I'm seeing vertical lines on the noses of character (like vertical color solarization / discrete too granular color map ? is it in the source or is an artefact of the pj)

-- dl

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation as patrick21: I must decide between the Sanyo Z1 or the Infocus X1, which translates in LCD vs DLP at about the same price.

Sanyo has 16:9 and a very good contrast ration for an LCD (800:1). Infocus has a very high contrast (2000:1) and costs even less.

Which to choose?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi DukeRem. Glad to hear you are in the same situation as I, Z1 vs. X1. I believe my decision will be based on the results of *********central's final review due any day now.

I have already done my Parkland screen. It is set up 16:9, which, according to Studio Experience, should give me a screen size 45 x 80. I really hope this is correct.

Let me know what you do.

patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.