AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1591 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/14328958

I'm a minimalist too. I've got a AOpen S-120A on order. 3.07" Height x 7.8" Width x 7.8" Depth

http://www.buy.com/prod/aopen-s-120a...204084524.html

Nice find, Bob. I had actually envisioned an ideal case for this DG45FC motherboard as being a small black box, not much bigger in terms of length/width than the motherboard itself. At the $45 pricepoint it's worth experimenting with. I wonder what the whiner in the review section at that link you gave is talking about saying there's no way to connect a power supply internally or externally. It's a given that boxes that small will forego an internal power supply and you have to use an external brick A/C adapter, so perhaps one has to find one separately in the case of this AOpen? hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/14328966

Any cases that fit a mini-itx board only - no optical, no hdd?

How about mini-itx with no optical but one 2.5 hdd?

Any or all of the above - I should probably rephrase - I meant cases that are built for mini-ITX, not cases that are built for MicroATX but happen to take Mini-ITX. Obviously it's much easier to find microATX cases to take a mini-ITX board and that would negate the need for a thread like this.

I think an optical slot-loader is ideal but as said earlier we're going to have to wait for prices to come down on the BluRay slim slot-load drives. A 2.5" bay is probably going to be most common for harddrive on most mini-ITX cases, but at same time I'm caring less and less about my own HTPC's having an internal harddrive, since I've begun experimenting with running them diskless and booting them off of ethernet via PXE server (The Acronis PXE server, actually).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/14328972

I'm planning to pair a DG45FC with a P8400 CPU. Should that work?

Here's Intel's page listing all the compatible processors. http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...ardname=dg45fc

I think the 25W thermal dissipation is really impressive for that P8400! Ofcourse it's a mobile CPU as was already mentioned, so I don't think it'll work on the DG45FC. With the Intel GMA X4500 HD doing the brunt of HD decoding, we don't really need too much from the CPU, do we. As long as the motherboard you get has that GMA X4500 HD IGP in it, then you'd be fine.

What I don't like about the mobile G45 motherboards I've seen that would take a P8400 CPU, is they've skimped on the audio chip and used Realtek's chip inside of the Intel one. What I like about true blue Intel boards is the vertical integration where Intel has done both the video and audio chipsets - much better chance that PAVP/PAP are going to work than on a board with a mixture of IGP's and audio chips from different manufacturers.

All depends on the application I guess, but for HTPC and Bluray I think a desktop class CPU and decent motherboard is better. The few pennies difference per year that a desktop class versus mobile processor would cost per year doesn't justify a mobile CPU for a fixed installation. Low wattage like 25W is great when the application is actually a MOBILE one (i.e. laptop) where you want to stretch the battery as long as it can go.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the processor listing. I'm back to thinking about a E8200 or even a E1200.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The problem with a lot of the mini-ITX cases mentioned is the slim ones aren't really made for this motherboard. The VIA cpu's don't require much cooling and can get away with a short passive heatsink. Not so on a Core2Duo. Considering that many would like a regular sized optical drive (blu-ray, DVD, etc.) instead of a slim tray-load makes those slim cases even more of a problem.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/14331037

Thanks for the processor listing. I'm back to thinking about a E8200 or even a E1200.

Celeron E1200? How about the E7200 instead? I have an E2160 which I just recently replaced with an E7200. The stock HSF for the E7200 is half the height of the one for the E2160 but I'm getting similar load temps for both (~55C). Power consumption with the E7200 at idle is around ~3-6W less than with the E2160. Can't recall exactly the difference at load but I think it's around 10W.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I mentioned the E1200 thinking it might be the cheapest Blu-Ray capable CPU. Perhaps a Celeron 430 will prove to be the bottom. Likely we'll know in a couple weeks. It's not a cost issue, it's more of a geeky exploration of best value.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
It's not a cost issue, it's more of a geeky exploration of best value.

... and lowest temps

·
Registered
955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/14333333

Celeron E1200? How about the E7200 instead? I have an E2160 which I just recently replaced with an E7200.

E5200 is also OK with DG45FC and you should expect 33% CPU loading when playing AVC HD material on G45 M/B. E5200 is really cheap and should draw less than 7W power while doing AVC HD decoding

John

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman /forum/post/14334690

E5200 is also OK with DG45FC and you should expect 33% CPU loading when playing AVC HD material on G45 M/B. E5200 is really cheap and should draw less than 7W power while doing AVC HD decoding

I'm all about getting a cool and efficient CPU for an HTPC based on this little motherboard, but do you have linkage to back that up? The cooler the CPU I can get, the better.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This could actually be what I'm looking for... I really just want to do a small head-end PC capable of BD and HDDVD playback from ripped media with HDMI out and non-downsampled audio
. Can I get all that, or am I going to have to add in a sound card like the Xonar?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/14334500

I mentioned the E1200 thinking it might be the cheapest Blu-Ray capable CPU. Perhaps a Celeron 430 will prove to be the bottom. Likely we'll know in a couple weeks. It's not a cost issue, it's more of a geeky exploration of best value.

Nah, didn't think it was a cost issue since you mentioned both E8200 and E1200. Just thought I'd point out a middle option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman /forum/post/14334690

I didn't know Intel's already released the 45nm E2000 equivalent. I got the E7200 as part of a Fry's sale (ECS GF7050VT-M + C2D E7200 = $119.99). Built a new PC for the 'rents and I swapped out the E7200 for my E2160. I was somewhat surprised that power consumption with the E7200 was even less than the E2160 considering how under-powered the E2160 is. A G45+E5200 is looking to be an ideal combination for a low-power, cool-running HTPC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about external power supply's? Id love to get one of these setup to be 0db and I would imagine the powersupply might be the biggest problem.

Do those type of small cases usually include such or is it common to change to a thirdparty one? Any recommendations for such in that case?

m

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm planning on using the In-Win BM639 Mini-ITX case. Takes a fullsize optical drive and 3.5" hard drive. It's based directly on Intel's 150watt Mini-ITX Case design and is fully approved for use with this motherboard. The two were actually pretty much made for each other. Hence the fact that there is enough clearance for the Conroe-L and Wolfdale stock coolers. Not bad for about $80.

Looks good IMO and can be used in both desktop and tower positions. One of my most favorite things about it is the door over the front of the case. Hides any logos, etc on the bluray drive and can hopefully muffle any drive noise a bit.

Found it deactivated at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811108094

Hopefully they will have it in black when they get them in. Most places have an ETA on this thing at about August 10th. Right around the same time as the E5200 and the DG45FC. That looks to be a very cost effective mix of components for a very capable bluray player.

My Plan:

E5200 CPU $84

DG45FC Motherboard ~$100

BM639 Case ~$80

Lite-On BR Drive $120

2GB DDR2 800 Ram $50

Old 80GB hard drive laying around.

My total ~$430. Basically the same price as a 40GB PS3 after tax. Only this has the capability to stream movies from my main PC via MyMovies and Netflix. Also, can work easily with my Harmony remote. And with any luck in the near future, bitstreaming audio via PDVD/TMT!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinnj /forum/post/14347126

I'm planning on using the In-Win BM639 Mini-ITX case. Takes a fullsize optical drive and 3.5" hard drive. It's based directly on Intel's 150watt Mini-ITX Case design and is fully approved for use with this motherboard. The two were actually pretty much made for each other. Hence the fact that there is enough clearance for the Conroe-L and Wolfdale stock coolers. Not bad for about $80.

Looks good IMO and can be used in both desktop and tower positions. One of my most favorite things about it is the door over the front of the case. Hides any logos, etc on the bluray drive and can hopefully muffle any drive noise a bit.

Found it deactivated at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811108094

Hopefully they will have it in black when they get them in. Most places have an ETA on this thing at about August 10th. Right around the same time as the E5200 and the DG45FC. That looks to be a very cost effective mix of components for a very capable bluray player.

My Plan:

E5200 CPU $84

DG45FC Motherboard ~$100

BM639 Case ~$80

Lite-On BR Drive $120

2GB DDR2 800 Ram $50

Old 80GB hard drive laying around.

My total ~$430. Basically the same price as a 40GB PS3 after tax. Only this has the capability to stream movies from my main PC via MyMovies and Netflix. Also, can work easily with my Harmony remote. And with any luck in the near future, bitstreaming audio via PDVD/TMT!

Excellent point - well done. You nailed it in the last paragraph - I absolutely refuse to buy a PS3 myself. WAY more flexibility in having an HTPC for playing any audio and video format, Netflix integration, hopefully some day DirecTV integration (prob Windows 7), etc. I've just not had the time to boil down a line-by-line parts list to demonstrate how great this little board is going to be together with a sub $100 Intel CPU.

It will do everything - and at way less cost (and size) than for example that Hp media center system that came out recently that tops out at 720p and has all kinds of limitations.

I actually like that case more and more as I look at it, and the fact it takes a full size drive is a BIG deal. In 30 days people will be able to get that Liteon drive for under $100 (price already dipped down to $109 last week briefly).

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14347206

I actually like that case more and more as I look at it, and the fact it takes a full size drive is a BIG deal.

It looks like there's not going to be much of a gap between the drive and the CPU/memory so you might want to consider what that does to cooling. A low-profile heatsink/fan combo might do the trick.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvarad /forum/post/14347323

It looks like there's not going to be much of a gap between the drive and the CPU/memory so you might want to consider what that does to cooling. A low-profile heatsink/fan combo might do the trick.

Looking at the internals of the case, there is an 80mm cooling fan blowing out right next to where the cpu will be located.

That should help wick the heat right away from the rest of the system. Also, the new stock coolers are pretty low profile in their own right:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yep - noticed the new stock HSF's on the 45nm CPU's (i.e. even the new Q9450 I got a month ago) have that smaller heatsink. Very quiet too.

Check out this Chenbro case I just found:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Intel has got a list of compatible ITX cases and the motherboards that will work with them.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/394803.htm

The In-Win BM648 is on there as compatible with the DG45FC though the BM639 is not. However that must be a typo or not updated as those two cases are pretty much identical except a slightly different front bezel. Same power supply and dimensions and everything. Assuming Intel tested these boards/cases with their own fans, I'd say the In-Win is a sure bet.

Also, on that Chenbro, I'm not seeing any 5.25" bay. Is it hidden? Good find though!

EDIT: Looked up the case myself. No external bays. Oh well.

Also from the Intel ITX case page "For the DG45FC and DQ45EK motherboards, we used the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor with Intel standard low-profile fan heat sink."

Also, here is a shot of the BM648, same case as BM639, different face.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Case? Who needs a case.... true geeks don't use 'em!

21 - 40 of 1591 Posts