AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1591 of 1591 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/19267722

You won't blow anything up if you draw too much power. The worst that will happen is the computer will be unstable and shut down unexpectedly. With a 5450 and a lower-end CPU you should be fine.

Depends. The PicoPSU is fragile and prone to death by overheating.See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14803271 ...

Although my DG45FC based HTPC is running fine, I think I am going to replace it with an AMD Fusion based one - especially since the Zacate APU is supposed to have a TDP of 18W. This coupled with ~ 8W @ load for HDD and ~ 6W for a 4GB DDR3 DIMM, means that even at normal load for movie playback, the system should consume much less than 50W. What's really good is that it has a HD5000 class GPU that can run stuff like Media Player Home Cinema with GPU accelerated color correction. The onboard IGP on the DG45FC just doesn't cut it anymore

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshw /forum/post/19480043

Depends. The PicoPSU is fragile and prone to death by overheating.See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14803271 ...

funny you brought this up. I just bought replacement 60W power brick for my picoPSU. It overheated a few times and the PC turned off and now it starts clicking when it gets hot and if i don't pull it out from behind the cabinet it will turn off. So it must be at the end of its life so i got a replacement brick for it. I think the actual picoPSU itself is ok though. I'm going on about 2 years with it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude /forum/post/19043373

Updated diagram:

I'm not a photoshop expert but here is it.

Basically, the two pins need to be reversed. This is ONLY if you get the IR IC which I used. Other ICs may be different. Check the datasheet.

I did this with just the TSOP (i.e. no resistor, no capacitor) and it works fine. Not being an electronics guy, is there any implication of not having those 2 components in the circuit?

On a related note, has anyone built the flash-back LED part of this circuit? It appears to be the VCC pin connected to a 330R resistor connected to the positive side of a LED and the negative side connected to the LED pin. I tried this, but it doesn't appear to work...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude /forum/post/19024882

Sure....Here is my little project's photos:

I used a USB internal header cable for this. I cut off one side and soldered the IC, resistor and the capacitor using only three wires.

closeup [before adding another hot shrink sleeve over all the soldered joints]

I drilled a small hole in the unused floppy bay's cover and hot glued this contraption to the back side. The hole matches the IR IC's tiny dome's circumference.

I was afraid that this may make the IR sensor less sensitive to off axis signals....but no! In my testing it works fine if I am holding the remote while standing in one side of the room.

Here is how it looks from the front:

Final product

It works 100% fine!

Even sleep from standby works reliably....something which never worked with the CIR thingy from meritline. and I think that was $30 or something.

total cost : 8 bucks + a couple of hrs of work [includes troubleshooting since it did not work at first [see my post above]. ..........out of which approx 6 was shipping. I did buy two pairs of each component, so I can use it in other HTPCs.

here is exactly what I ordered from Mouser:

If someone needs help with this project........I'd be glad to help. Just post here.

Can you relist what you purchased from Mouser ? The image links do not seem to be working.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
ok, fixed the images on my server. Somehow they were missing! Had to re-upload.

I gotta stop linking images from my server. Just attach to the post at AVS and link it from there works better.

Interesting Note: I noticed that my CIR circuit starts up my machine even when it is turned off! No other IR reciever does that. I have the meritline internal, Dell and Microsoft's USB external ones.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
IMHO the resistor - capacitor is there only for filtering. It may work without it but there is some possibility of stray interference???...my electronics knowledge is getting rusty due to non-use.

By the flash back LED part........do you mean adding an LED to tell you if it actually recieved the IR signal?

No I have not done that. where is the ckt diagram for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManbirPrihar /forum/post/19649912

I did this with just the TSOP (i.e. no resistor, no capacitor) and it works fine. Not being an electronics guy, is there any implication of not having those 2 components in the circuit?

On a related note, has anyone built the flash-back LED part of this circuit? It appears to be the VCC pin connected to a 330R resistor connected to the positive side of a LED and the negative side connected to the LED pin. I tried this, but it doesn't appear to work...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
IMHO the resistor - capacitor is there only for filtering. It may work without it but there is some possibility of stray interference???...my electronics knowledge is getting rusty due to non-use.

By the flash back LED part........do you mean adding an LED to tell you if it actually recieved the IR signal?

Yes, a LED that flashes when the TSOP receives an IR signal.

I got the circuit diagram from the attached -- I can't remember the original source.

image.pdf 41.927734375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude /forum/post/20085455

The resistor capacitor on the TSOP circuit is for protection from power supply over voltage not for filtering of the IR signal. I have the data sheet in front of me.

1581 - 1591 of 1591 Posts