AVS Forum banner

2561 - 2575 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
the video is the correct method, NEVER remove heatsink without cleaning and reapply compound.

bios may be reporting incorrect temps as fan speed is below max speed but according to this chart there is no bios version .0127 which your pics seem to indicate, http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...ardName=DG45ID

the above chart states the proc and board supports e7400 @1066 mhz fsb but memory speed shows pc2-5300 mhz [333], you should be using pc2-1066 rated memory.

i would flash bios and install correct ram @ 1066.

if all 4 white lock pins are flush to the board and not broken and cpu heatsink is firmly in place then its bios reporting incorrectly or bad fan, but most likely incorrect report.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 /forum/post/21833315

the video is the correct method, NEVER remove heatsink without cleaning and reapply compound.

bios may be reporting incorrect temps as fan speed is below max speed but according to this chart there is no bios version .0127 which your pics seem to indicate, http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...ardName=DG45ID

the above chart states the proc and board supports e7400 @1066 mhz fsb but memory speed shows pc2-5300 mhz [333], you should be using pc2-1066 rated memory.

i would flash bios and install correct ram @ 1066.

if all 4 white lock pins are flush to the board and not broken and cpu heatsink is firmly in place then its bios reporting incorrectly or bad fan, but most likely incorrect report.

Thanks again for the time and help

ok , since i didnt apply thermal paste today while installing the fan , with in 2 days i will buy that paste and apply it and then place the cpu fan

pls bear my novice ... does it mean that , my present RAM is not suitable for this board and processor .. the following details are there on my RAM stick -- 1GB PC 667MHz , 05 0309 , DG 0914495 .. So , bcos of this slow ram , is my cpu getting loaded heavily , and thus the high temperatures ? Does replacing the ram with 1066 , bring back the temperatures to normal ?

So what i am planning to do is ..,

if i can borrow 1066 MHz ram , i ll see if it brings back temp to normal ..

if not , i will try to flash bios ( my first time :scared: ) .... shud i flash with latest available 0135 bios ?

Then i will apply thermal paste and reinstall the cpu fan anyway

or , should i do like this ??

even to the naked eye , the cpu fan is rotating at slow- belowaverage speed , and its not even increasing , even when the cpu temp is increasing to ~70 deg ... so is it worth , to buy a new cpu heatsink cooler fan , assuming that the current fan is not functioning properly

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Don't worry about the memory. It is slow, but it won't cause any temperature issues, just slower performance.

It's odd that the fan isn't spinning up more when the CPU hits 70, but wait to investigate more until you can get everything installed properly.

Remember to scrape off the thermal pad that Intel puts on their heatsinks before applying paste.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21833674

Don't worry about the memory. It is slow, but it won't cause any temperature issues, just slower performance.

It's odd that the fan isn't spinning up more when the CPU hits 70, but wait to investigate more until you can get everything installed properly.

ok , so RAM trial is opted out for now . from the three to-do s

if i can borrow 1066 MHz ram , i ll see if it brings back temp to normal ..

if not , i will try to flash bios ( my first time :scared: ) .... shud i flash with latest available 0135 bios ?

Then i will apply thermal paste and reinstall the cpu fan anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21833674

Remember to scrape off the thermal pad that Intel puts on their heatsinks before applying paste.

Thanks for the tip , but u r talking for the new fan right ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
the ram running at 333 mhz is bottle necking your cpu [holding it back from running at its rated speed]

update the bios is what i would do, BE AWARE bios update failure could leave the board in an unuseable condition, its risky, follow the guide from intel and take your time.

if it was mine i would fix it or trash it and get another board, i see no reason to purchase another heatsink and fan as i dont believe it will correct the heat issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have been getting BSODs since upgrading to BIOS 0135 when resuming from S3 sleep. I've always had the odd random BSOD or lockup going into or coming out of S3, but been rare enough to ignore, although it was usually easy enough to provoke by constantly putting it to sleep and waking back up.

However, since the BIOS upgrade, its been daily, sometimes several times a day. I've run the BSODs through the debugger, and no obvious cause, looks like memory corruption. Memtest86+ shows the memory is OK.

Reverting back to 0127 didn't resolve the issue, but did reintroduce the original problem that made me upgrade the BIOS - Blackgold BGT 6320 picture corruption/breakup, which needs C states disabled in BIOS to cure.

However, I'm now back on 0135, but have disabled the ME, and its been 24hrs with no BSOD or lockup. For the first time in ages, it actually feels robust.

I know disabling the ME isn't going to be for everyone - although there isn't really any management capability in the DG45ID ME, it does control fan speed. This isn't an issue for me, as the only fans in my HTPC are the PSU ones (Elonex Artisan/FIC Spectra case).

I'll keep this thread updated with progress, and hope the info helps others, esp those using the Blackgold BGT 6320 which needs the later BIOS to disable C states.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheBoy  /t/1050334/official-intel-g45-dg45id-microatx-htpc-motherboard-thread/2550#post_22282146

I too have been getting BSODs since upgrading to BIOS 0135 when resuming from S3 sleep. I've always had the odd random BSOD or lockup going into or coming out of S3, but been rare enough to ignore, although it was usually easy enough to provoke by constantly putting it to sleep and waking back up.

However, since the BIOS upgrade, its been daily, sometimes several times a day. I've run the BSODs through the debugger, and no obvious cause, looks like memory corruption. Memtest86+ shows the memory is OK.

Reverting back to 0127 didn't resolve the issue, but did reintroduce the original problem that made me upgrade the BIOS - Blackgold BGT 6320 picture corruption/breakup, which needs C states disabled in BIOS to cure.

However, I'm now back on 0135, but have disabled the ME, and its been 24hrs with no BSOD or lockup. For the first time in ages, it actually feels robust.

I know disabling the ME isn't going to be for everyone - although there isn't really any management capability in the DG45ID ME, it does control fan speed. This isn't an issue for me, as the only fans in my HTPC are the PSU ones (Elonex Artisan/FIC Spectra case).

I'll keep this thread updated with progress, and hope the info helps others, esp those using the Blackgold BGT 6320 which needs the later BIOS to disable C states.

If you haven't tried a recovery BIOS update, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should have added (ages ago - sorry), nothing seems to stop this board BSOD'ing from S3. I thought I'd cracked it when I disabled the onboard LAN, as it ran for days without a BSOD, but as soon as I plugged in a PCI NIC, it started giving various, random Windows STOP errors about 45s after resuming from S3.

My solution to this - I replaced it with a DH67GD and a 35W i5 last August, and my media center has been superbly stable ever since.

My advice would be to avoid this board like the plague. It speaks volumes that Intel dropped support on this board so quickly, as Intel normally support a board for a reasonable amount of time. This board obviously has serious flaws that they couldn't entirely work around just with BIOS code.

Its a shame, as the featureset makes it absolutely ideal for a silent running media center, despite its age.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

I have 2x DG45ID and also BSOD after waking from S3 ( bios 135).

I suspected memory corruption and prepared a test to verify this assumption.

The test is described here ( sorry, in French):
http://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.php?config=hfr.inc&cat=4&subcat=438&post=332868&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

It is quite simple, you run MEMTEST with enough instances to cover all memory sticks and at the same time launch SLEEPER which puts the PC in S3 sleep for some time and then wakes it and so on for a number of cycles you want.

After less than 15mn, you get memory errors.

Go back to bios 127 (using F7 and .bio bios file) and then check again.

I stopped the test after several hours without memory errors.

This was verified with my two DG45IDs.

I dont know if this is related to C-state disabled (was disabled with bios 135) or something else.

I also got a DH67GD with core i5 2500 in 2011 and it is very reliable.

I strongly suspect that DG45ID has an electrical noise (glitches, not sounds
) problem somewhere related to the single wire link between the chipset and thermal & voltage sensor chip,

and that the various workarounds tried to reduce the noise with more or less success.

/

edit 8/2013

After 10 weeks running perfect, one of the two boards got again the old problem of cpu fan running full speed (and idu hanged) which was more or less assumed (but not officially) to be solved by disabling cpu c-states.

So we have the choice, sleep memory corruption (bios 135) or fan malfunction (bios 127).

There are also bios 129 and 131p in between. maybe some time I'll check them again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

Like last time, please excuse my novice

After 2 long years of some serious academic study period ( from books and laptop) , i opened my desktop again ..... i intend to use it for basic usage - browsing, watching HD Movies

So, i wanted to buy a RAM , and the DG45ID motherboard support site - stated " ddr2 800 sdram 1.8v dimm spd non-ecc unbuffered, maximum of 2 GB per slot while using 1 Gbit SDRAM technology , 5-5-5-15 etc etc " which is greek and latin to me , however i tried searching with these keywords , in amazon & ebay , only to realise that i didnot find any RAM matching these

So, I request you guys to PLEASE , give me web links of apt RAMs to buy for this mobo,
...... ( I live in India . Kingston Transcend Samsung are the usual makers of RAM here ........... however , given the present scenario, i guess i will be ending up with foreign brands ?! )

Also, Should i buy 1x 2 GB RAM (or) 2 x 2 GB RAMs ?
....................... ( either for performance reasons - as my processor is just e7400 core2duo 2.8 GHz , or for the reason that , these RAMs will no longer be available in future )

Thanks in advance :)
Awaiting help

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Reactions: srimedico

·
Registered
10 Posts
2 x 2GB is recommended. For example,

Crucial Part # CT849079, the same as CT2KIT25664AA800 at Amazon.com
Many Many thanks renethx :)

the Amazon link u kindly provided is showing as unable to ship to my place ..... so I have looked at the crucial ram list u
given and I found this - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls2g2d80ebs1s00

Amazon buy link

eBay buy link

Is this ram OK ?

In crucial's dg45id ram list I see that there is something like pc2 8500 ddr2 1066 as fully compatible with dg45id - but , is that so ? bcos on my mobo box it said only ddr2 800 667 SD ram

Also another doubt is , in some listed RAMs cl is 6,7 etc ..... but isn't it should be 5 for dg45id ?

And finally which to choose - 256 megs x 64 or 128 megs x 64 ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Good. Buy two modules. 2 x 2GB = 4GB

DDR2-1066 is able to run at any speed lower than that, e.g. as DDR2-800/667. A memory module of CL=6 is able to run as CL=5, etc.

Setting aside what 256megx64 means (256Mb x 64 = 256x64/8 MB = 2048MB = 2GB), just choose two 2GB modules.

Reactions: srimedico

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good. Buy two modules. 2 x 2GB = 4GB

DDR2-1066 is able to run at any speed lower than that, e.g. as DDR2-800/667. A memory module of CL=6 is able to run as CL=5, etc.

Setting aside what 256megx64 means (256Mb x 64 = 256x64/8 MB = 2048MB = 2GB), just choose two 2GB modules.

OK ... Thank you very much renethx :)

Nice to see Newton's experiment after a very long time BTW !! :)

2561 - 2575 of 2575 Posts