AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while and recently purchased this board. The first one worked ok except for audio out of the box. The next day when I went to boot it up it did not work. I have since exchanged the board but now I cannot get it to display anything when going through my receiver. It will only display when connected directly to the tv which it did not do with the other board that went bad. Any ideas? Everything is set to the default settings in the bios. My receiver is the Marantz SR7002. I am running 4gigs of gskill ram with a e8400 processor. Again any ideas are greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole /forum/post/14471181


If you set it at 5.1 you get multichannel from PDVD with bluray, but what happens if you open VMC and try to play a regular DVD?

No idea - I don't play regular DVDs on this rig with VMC. It's Vista Basic, so no VMC to try anyway. I wanted the OS to have a small footprint because its only storage is SSD. Sorry.


What am I missing out on? My experience with XP MCE was that it was garbage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Have you tried different resolutions (1280x720 or 1080x1920)?

What cable are you using to get the signal into your reciever (HDMI)?

Finally, when you had your first board, did it pass a picture through the receiver (i think you said no sound the first time)? If so, are using the same settings?

Did you check in Device Manager for any issues? Did you check in the Vista Sound tab to see if HDMI (assuming that's what your using) is set as the default?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/14471753


Have you tried different resolutions (1280x720 or 1080x1920)?

What cable are you using to get the signal into your reciever (HDMI)?

Finally, when you had your first board, did it pass a picture through the receiver (i think you said no sound the first time)? If so, are using the same settings?

Did you check in Device Manager for any issues? Did you check in the Vista Sound tab to see if HDMI (assuming that's what your using) is set as the default?

Thanks for the reply. Here are some more details. I am using HDMI out. I can get video if I use a DVI to HDMI cable from the computer to the receiver. I am not even getting a bios loading screen through HDMI from the computer to the receiver. The receiver does not seem to detect anything as being connected when going HDMI from the computer. If I do go directly to the tv through HDMI I do not have any problems. I would like this to run HDMI to my receiver so that I can take advantage of the audio features. My first board did pass everything through the receiver ok, but it broke within 24 hours unfortunately. Is anyone else having this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuastock /forum/post/14471870


Thanks for the reply. Here are some more details. I am using HDMI out. I can get video if I use a DVI to HDMI cable from the computer to the receiver. I am not even getting a bios loading screen through HDMI from the computer to the receiver. The receiver does not seem to detect anything as being connected when going HDMI from the computer. If I do go directly to the tv through HDMI I do not have any problems. I would like this to run HDMI to my receiver so that I can take advantage of the audio features. My first board did pass everything through the receiver ok, but it broke within 24 hours unfortunately. Is anyone else having this issue?

I am only using HDMI, also thru an AVR. For me, the screen remains blank until the Windows splash screen starts up. I cannot get any BIOS via HDMI. However, upon plugging in a CRT monitor to the DVI connector (while still keeping the HDMI connector), both displays light up for BIOS during bootup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
For everyone who asked about HDMI sound. I have run the following movies and recorded this output info. It may answer some of your questions...


The gear and set up used:


This motherboard - HDMI Connection only to AMP.

LiteOn BD DH-401

AVR Denon 3808 - Latest Firmware updated with 7.1 speakers connected.

AnyDVD HD

PowerDVD8 - Audio set to 'Use HDMI' + PCM Output

Vista/Intel Sound Setup - Use HDMI, 7.1 Speakers and ALL 'Supported Formats' ticked.


Audio Attributes displayed below for each BD are formatted as follows...


* PDVD8 = ,,, (from Information Tab)

* AMP =
, , , (from Denon Audio Status screen)


BD Jumper

PDVD8 = DTS, 48kHz, 5.1, 3696 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Spiderwick

PDVD8 = MLP, 48kHz, 5.1, 4272 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Casino Royale

PDVD8 = LPCM, 48kHz, 5.1, 4608 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Fifth Element - Dolby TrueHD Selected

PDVD8 = MLP, 48kHz, 5.1, 3120 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Fifth Element - Dolby Digital 5.1 Uncompressed

PDVD8 = LPCM, 48kHz, 5.1, 4608 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


Don't know if this will help anyone. If there is any other info screen I can use to get more info during playback, please let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwahatad /forum/post/14472112


For everyone who asked about HDMI sound. I have run the following movies and recorded this output info. It may answer some of your questions...


The gear and set up used:


This motherboard - HDMI Connection only to AMP.

LiteOn BD DH-401

AVR Denon 3808 - Latest Firmware updated with 7.1 speakers connected.

AnyDVD HD

PowerDVD8 - Audio set to 'Use HDMI' + PCM Output

Vista/Intel Sound Setup - Use HDMI, 7.1 Speakers and ALL 'Supported Formats' ticked.


Audio Attributes displayed below for each BD are formatted as follows...


* PDVD8 = ,,, (from Information Tab)

* AMP = , , , (from Denon Audio Status screen)


BD Jumper

PDVD8 = DTS, 48kHz, 5.1, 3696 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Spiderwick

PDVD8 = MLP, 48kHz, 5.1, 4272 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Casino Royale

PDVD8 = LPCM, 48kHz, 5.1, 4608 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Fifth Element - Dolby TrueHD Selected

PDVD8 = MLP, 48kHz, 5.1, 3120 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


BD Fifth Element - Dolby Digital 5.1 Uncompressed

PDVD8 = LPCM, 48kHz, 5.1, 4608 Kbps

Denon = 7.1, PCM, 96kHz, 3/4/.1


Don't know if this will help anyone. If there is any other info screen I can use to get more info during playback, please let me know.

If audio source is 5.1 then this should show as 5.1 on denon too ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14469819


The Asus P5Q-EM is finally out! This is the third board using the G45 chipset. It has the same expansion layout as the DG45ID, but with all the standard ASUS extras. Ram voltage, overclocking, BIOS restore, and some kind of mini Linux OS for instant on. For those that need it, it still has IDE. It also has a VGA port and all 6 SATA ports are inside. ASUS provides a bracket if you want to use eSATA.


What do you guys think? Any reason not to get this over the Intel?


I'm not really sure which one I will get, I don't really need the extra features, but it's nice.

Where have you seen the P5Q-EM at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwahatad /forum/post/14472112


For everyone who asked about HDMI sound. I have run the following movies and recorded this output info. It may answer some of your questions...


The gear and set up used:


This motherboard - HDMI Connection only to AMP.

LiteOn BD DH-401

AVR Denon 3808 - Latest Firmware updated with 7.1 speakers connected.

AnyDVD HD

PowerDVD8 - Audio set to 'Use HDMI' + PCM Output

Vista/Intel Sound Setup - Use HDMI, 7.1 Speakers and ALL 'Supported Formats' ticked.

Is that audio setup option only available in PowerDVD8? I only see SPDIF and the various # channels in my version 7. I have not seen any options like this in TMT as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik /forum/post/14472261


If audio source is 5.1 then this should show as 5.1 on denon too ?

I would have expected that also. After some additional testing it appears that the Multi-CH output from the PC is forced by the Sound configuration. When I set 7.1 speakers in the Control Panel, my AMP displays Multi-Input 7.1 in and stays that way regardless of the PCM format signal sent through it. The channels work OK apart from the curious fact that a 5.1 signal will output correctly to fronts, centre and sub as expected but the expected 'side' output is redirected to my twin rears and sides are inactive (which actually suits me for 5.1). If I change the (Vista Sound Panel) HDMI speaker layout to 5.1, my AMP displays Multi-In 5.1 (for all PCM signal sources) and rear channels output to my side speakers as expected.


If I change the player software to DTS/AC3 pass through, the AMP will switch to the correct DTS or DOLBY format and display the correct signal info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14472605


Is that audio setup option only available in PowerDVD8? I only see SPDIF and the various # channels in my version 7. I have not seen any options like this in TMT as well.

In PDVD8 I have the usual Headphones, Speakers and S/PDIF device options on the Audio Environment tab along with 'Use HDMI'. The output options for HDMI selected are PCM or DTS/AC3 Passthrough only.


I did have the HDMI option on the PDVD7 BD version that came with my BD Drive but was limited to 2channel only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codegrey /forum/post/14472262


Where have you seen the P5Q-EM at?
NCIX is where I first noticed it. They don't have them in stock, but they have the picture, write up, and all that. Experience with them tells me that they will have it pretty soon.


Buy.com has a SKU for it as well. New Egg is also listing stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
yep seems to be available several places in the US now, anxiously awaiting for someone in canada to get it, so i can start building my first HTPC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14472792

NCIX is where I first noticed it. They don't have them in stock, but they have the picture, write up, and all that. Experience with them tells me that they will have it pretty soon.


Buy.com has a SKU for it as well. New Egg is also listing stock.

I just ordered it from newegg. Funny it doesn't show up in their advanced search. I had ordered the Intel board (DG45ID) over the weekend from www.calamco.com only to get an email today saying it was out of stock. I love newegg. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codegrey /forum/post/14473269


I just ordered it from newegg. Funny it doesn't show up in their advanced search. I had ordered the Intel board (DG45ID) over the weekend from www.calamco.com only to get an email today saying it was out of stock. I love newegg. Thanks.

No problem. I really don't know which one to get. Is there any benefit to buying this chipset on the Intel board? I have never purchased a board from Intel before, always a third party manufacturer. If I buy the ASUS board and Intel comes out with a way of bitstreaming or fixes the 24p issue, would it be just as easy to apply? I assume it would because the chipset is the same, but if buying the Intel gets me better support I would go with it over ASUS's feature list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14473447


No problem. I really don't know which one to get. Is there any benefit to buying this chipset on the Intel board? I have never purchased a board from Intel before, always a third party manufacturer. If I buy the ASUS board and Intel comes out with a way of bitstreaming or fixes the 24p issue, would it be just as easy to apply? I assume it would because the chipset is the same, but if buying the Intel gets me better support I would go with it over ASUS's feature list.

This will be my first Asus board. My last two boards were Gigabyte (P35 and X38) and the board before that was EVGA (680i). I think all G45 boards use the same Intel drivers so when one is fixed they all are (assuming you down load the latest driver from intel). I really don't care about the 24p issue since I use 60p. Usually my wife and I are drinking a few beers when watching Blurays so we probably don't notice any problems anyway. I just bought a Yamaha HTR-6180 with 7.1 surround, but I only have 5.1 speakers (Klipsch) attached. Asus has a link for this board http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...13&modelmenu=1 . Hope no one gets pissed because we're are talking about a board that this thread isn't about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codegrey /forum/post/14473566


Hope no one gets pissed because we're are talking about a board that this thread isn't about.

I don't think so, I was just mentioning it here because we don't have a thread for it yet. How do you go about starting an *official* thread?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14473588


I don't think so, I was just mentioning it here because we don't have a thread for it yet. How do you go about starting an *official* thread?

Don't know. I'm just a "Top Man" not a "Senior Member."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwahatad /forum/post/14472647


I would have expected that also. After some additional testing it appears that the Multi-CH output from the PC is forced by the Sound configuration. When I set 7.1 speakers in the Control Panel, my AMP displays Multi-Input 7.1 in and stays that way regardless of the PCM format signal sent through it. The channels work OK apart from the curious fact that a 5.1 signal will output correctly to fronts, centre and sub as expected but the expected 'side' output is redirected to my twin rears and sides are inactive (which actually suits me for 5.1). If I change the (Vista Sound Panel) HDMI speaker layout to 5.1, my AMP displays Multi-In 5.1 (for all PCM signal sources) and rear channels output to my side speakers as expected.


If I change the player software to DTS/AC3 pass through, the AMP will switch to the correct DTS or DOLBY format and display the correct signal info.


Same thing happens with the 8200 motherboard. I suspect it is a Vista issue.
 
361 - 380 of 2575 Posts
Top