AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 2575 Posts

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I am now thoroughly confused.

I thought there was a repeater issue with the Intel chipset, whereby you cannot use an AVR in the middle between the source (the mobo) and the sink (the TV).

Are you all using AnyDVD to bypass this limitation or is it a non issue?

·
Registered
662 Posts
 Before the crash , someone mentioned that they had problems with noise and this board. I'm also having this problem, with the EarthWatts 380 included with the Antec NSK2480 . It's not an annoyance when I'm actually using the system, but it can be rather distracting when the system comes on to perform scheduled tasks.

Can anyone recommend a quiet & efficient PSU that doesn't exhibit this problem?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 /forum/post/14477915

Before the crash , someone mentioned that they had problems with noise and this board. I'm also having this problem, with the EarthWatts 380 included with the Antec NSK2480 . It's not an annoyance when I'm actually using the system, but it can be rather distracting when the system comes on to perform scheduled tasks.

I'm using an enermax liberty that works great. It's also modular so I can get rid of the cables I don't need to improve air flow.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:

Check the recommended PSUs on silentpcreview.com.

·
Registered
539 Posts
All of my systems use Seasonics -- they're exceptionally effiicient, and amazingly quiet. I sit 18" from my main system and can't tell the difference in ambient noise when it's on or off.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/14475549

I am now thoroughly confused.

I thought there was a repeater issue with the Intel chipset, whereby you cannot use an AVR in the middle between the source (the mobo) and the sink (the TV).

Are you all using AnyDVD to bypass this limitation or is it a non issue?

In my case, yes, I use AnyDVD also, but mostly because of my region issues.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I was just overly hopeful the problem was gone. I do not want to buy a $100 board and then have to buy a $100 program to make it work with something my $100 8200 board already works with.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Does anyone know of a reputable company that can build a PC with this motherboard? I want to build a HTPC for only dvd playback using ffdshow and Blu Ray playback. It appears this mobo coupled with a Core 2 Duo E8400 processor will certainly fit the bill but my days of building PC's have gone

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:

One of the first posters here to report on a build with this board reported a high pitched whistle during certain activities, as I recall, which he thought might be coming from the board itself. I'm pretty sure he was also using the Earthwatts 380. He switched to a Seasonic and the noise was gone, and concluded it was the PSU, not the motherboard, that was making the noise.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The manual says when installing two ram sticks to place them in the DIMM0 (blue) slots. That interferes with the fan on a Minja, so I put them in the black slots.

Seems to be working. Anybody know a reason not to ignore the manual on this?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/14485228

The manual says when installing two ram sticks to place them in the DIMM0 (blue) slots. That interferes with the fan on a Minja, so I put them in the black slots.

Seems to be working. Anybody know a reason not to ignore the manual on this?

I don't think it's in the manual anywhere, but there was a yellow (goldenrod?) sheet that came with the board that states, "The Intel Management Engine in the Intel 82G45 chipset requires memory to be populated in the Channel A, DIMM 0 position to enable Intel Quiet System Technology. For more information on this requirement, please refer to the Intel Desktop Board Product Guide located in the Intel Express Intaller Driver and Software DVD."

Oh, there it is on page 21. Says pretty much the same thing, a stick must be installed in the blue socket closest to the CPU to use Quiest System Technology

·
Registered
539 Posts
The predecessor G35 board had an issue with the IDE channel -- basically it didn't work correctly. The "fix" was to simply not use any IDE devices. Is anyone using the IDE channel on this board? Just curious if it's still an issue -- I've got several IDE optical drives "laying around" and would like to use one of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From Extremetech article

"In addition, sending HDMI signals directly to an HDCP TV works, but repeater mode, which is required for 7.1-channel sound or if users want to play Blu-ray content back through a receiver, is also broken. Brezenski blamed the disconnect on software vendors, which do not support the use of repeaters."

Can someone please explain what he means when he "blames the disconnect on software vendors, which do not support the use of repeaters"?

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycase2001 /forum/post/14486416

The predecessor G35 board had an issue with the IDE channel -- basically it didn't work correctly. The "fix" was to simply not use any IDE devices. Is anyone using the IDE channel on this board? Just curious if it's still an issue -- I've got several IDE optical drives "laying around" and would like to use one of them.

I don't think the DG45ID has an IDE channel.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14486792

I don't think the DG45ID has an IDE channel.

Well, I guess they resolved THAT problem then

I just looked at the manual on Intel's site and you're indeed correct. Since Newegg didn't have the Intel board listed, I had looked at the Gigabyte and Asus G45 boards ... each of which has one IDE channel ... and had (erroneously) assumed Intel's would as well !!

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oronomus /forum/post/14486568

From Extremetech article

"In addition, sending HDMI signals directly to an HDCP TV works, but repeater mode, which is required for 7.1-channel sound or if users want to play Blu-ray content back through a receiver, is also broken. Brezenski blamed the disconnect on software vendors, which do not support the use of repeaters."

Can someone please explain what he means when he "blames the disconnect on software vendors, which do not support the use of repeaters"?

It is in the thread, but I will recap:

The standards say a repeater cannot be used unless specific things are met. The software is to ensure these are met and inform the hardware of this.

Currently, no software does this.

ATI/AMD and nVidia get around this by simply ignoring the requirements and working anyway.

Intel follows the specs to the letter, even if it means their product will not work the way end users want it to work.

The fault is with the software vendors, but since AMD and nVidia both violate the standards it gives the illusion that Intel is to blame.

Since perception is reality, and the reality is Intel will not work but both AMD and nVidia WILL work, the perception is that it is Intel's fault.

In the end, the ones who suffere are Intel and those who buy their motherboards.

The way people have been getting around this issue is by buying AnyDVD HD by Slysoft. It strips out all the protection so both the software vendors and the hardware vendors (such as Intel) have no problem with it.

Basically, it is a required $100 piece of software to make your $100 Intel board work.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/14475482

Whelp, I've tried four times to buy the Intel board, and failed. This should be telling me something...

So it's the Asus board for me.

I ordered from BLT . They have plenty in stock. Was delivered yesterday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intel people... Asus is second for stability and support and updates... Intel will press the software partners to revise the apps and their board will smoke ATI/AMD and NVIDIA vid and sound the end.

Think about it, they are making a very big push into home media...

I dealt with AHCI and SATA and NCQ and other controller issues on ASUS boards plenty, I'm done complicating things with the bells and whistles mindset. Just a Black Hole for time.

Be smart and be just a bit patient but pick the winner now and get it so you can begin getting familiar with it :). I bought quite a few of these to get a discount and still I have 3 extra ones NIB and sealed that I might put on sale 4 ya :).

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Well, put mine together today, but the power supply in my Antec Fusion Micro 350 case is kaputsky.... not enough 5V standby juice.... argghhh....

381 - 400 of 2575 Posts