AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/14485228

The manual says when installing two ram sticks to place them in the DIMM0 (blue) slots. That interferes with the fan on a Minja, so I put them in the black slots.

Seems to be working. Anybody know a reason not to ignore the manual on this?

Can't you put the fan on one of the sides?

I have my M-Ninja fan mounted on the side next to an intake.

Alternatively, just mount the fan a little higher over the RAM stick. It won't matter if the fan and the heatsink don't match up pefectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone here been able to reset the BIOS successfully?

I've been following ths thread from before the release of the board. It's a gold mine for information, many thanks. I'm reasonably IT literate but completely new to to the HTPC side so I have taken the plunge and started building one.

My system:

GD45ID

E8500

2 x 2GB Gskill ddr2-800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v (I know the system only runs 5-5-5 timings)

Hauppage Hvr2200

Silverstone Case and 300w fanless PSU.

So on first start, pre OS, I look through the bios and see the RAM is running at 667. Curiosity gets the better of me and I force the BIOS setting to 800 (YOU IDIOT!). Now the system doesn't boot. It just cycles on the POST, ie. turn the power on and the fans spin up for a few seconds then off, 3-4 seconds later the power and HDD leds flicker and the fans go again for a few seconds.... and again... and again.

So things tried to date:

- swapping the bios jumper to pins 2-3 (no change in behaviour)

- unplug & remove the cmos battery overnight (no change in behaviour)

- removing the bios jumper completely with .BIO in cd (no change in behaviour, doesn't even spin up the CD)

- remove 1 piece of RAM from second channel (no change in behaviour)

- removing all the RAM (get 3 beeps on start up as expected)

- remove all peripherals, HDD, TVcard, DVDRW (no change in behaviour)

- change to 1GB noname DDR2-800 (no change in behaviour)

- try different power supply (no change in behaviour)

So any thoughts on where to head next (phrased politely of course) would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
260 Posts
Got everything up and running and things were looking great! Got 7.1 multi-channel audio from blu-ray & audio driver test pattern. My Onkyo 805 always reports 7.1 multi-channel, so I am guessing the software is doing the decode ahead of time. I gave up on power-dvd, as I only got crazy colors with audio. Using TMT with great success! Picture looks grand, and i can playback Blu-Ray and HD-DVD from discs or folders. Yipee!

Now for the downside. I can't get this thing to stay asleep. It goes to sleep on command, but wakes up either immediately or within ten seconds. All I've got plugged into the board are the bluetooth dongle for a logitech dinovo edge (which I've disabled "allow this device to wakeup computer") and a Gyration mouse/remote. I've disabled the "allow this device" from the gyration as well, as this has no effect. I am using the onboard headers for IR receiver. Has anybody got this feature working reliably? I am pretty much forced to turn off the computer all the time now, which is a pain considering this boards SUPER SLOW bootup time!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
bondisdead,

I had the same problem with my G35. I got so fed up one day I went disabling every "allow this device to wakeup computer" I could get my hands on (k/b, mouse, lan, usbs, etc.)

Never had a problem since. I should have tested to see which one was causing the problem (could be lan could be usb) but got lazy and left it at that. PC never wakes unless I press the power button on the remote or case. Suits me fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have this up and running playing BDs now without a problem on my Samsung 46" 1080p LCD buy have had no joy trying to route it through my Sony 5300ES amp onto a Panasonic AE900 projector (will take 1080/24 or 720p/1080i) I can get the desktop up on the projector but as soon as I try PowerDVD8 it tells me no HDCP,etc... so I've got AnyDVD HD but with that running PowerDVD8 just hangs when I put in a flick...I don't remember having to change any settings in AnyDVD when I used it to get around HDCP on my previous setup with a non HDCP 7600GT.

Its the only thing holding this back from being an amazing product...

I tried out both PowerDVD7 and TMT for playing back HD DVD's but all I get is garbage on the screen yet I can hear the audio just fine...any ideas? this is straight connection to the TV

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14489850

Got everything up and running and things were looking great! Got 7.1 multi-channel audio from blu-ray & audio driver test pattern. My Onkyo 805 always reports 7.1 multi-channel, so I am guessing the software is doing the decode ahead of time. I gave up on power-dvd, as I only got crazy colors with audio. Using TMT with great success! Picture looks grand, and i can playback Blu-Ray and HD-DVD from discs or folders. Yipee!

Now for the downside. I can't get this thing to stay asleep. It goes to sleep on command, but wakes up either immediately or within ten seconds. All I've got plugged into the board are the bluetooth dongle for a logitech dinovo edge (which I've disabled "allow this device to wakeup computer") and a Gyration mouse/remote. I've disabled the "allow this device" from the gyration as well, as this has no effect. I am using the onboard headers for IR receiver. Has anybody got this feature working reliably? I am pretty much forced to turn off the computer all the time now, which is a pain considering this boards SUPER SLOW bootup time!

Try this:

powercfg.exe -lastwake

It should report back to you what device woke the computer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I don't have a receiver that handles hdmi yet, will this board convert all the audio down to 5.1 or DD that my current receiver can handle? I'd like to get the HTPC up and running with my existing equipment as the funds don't support both a new HTPC and receiver.

thanks,

·
Registered
33 Posts
dpeart,

I'm running this board with the HDMI straight to my Pio plasma, and the optical SPDIF to my Yamaha receiver. DD and DTS work great all around, you'll have no issues watching TV/DVD/Blu-ray and getting everything in DTS or DD 5.1. I'm in the same boat, waiting until the holidays to upgrade my receiver to one that supports HDMI switching.

-Tek

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticnz /forum/post/14489592

Hi All,

I've been following ths thread from before the release of the board. It's a gold mine for information, many thanks. I'm reasonably IT literate but completely new to to the HTPC side so I have taken the plunge and started building one.

My system:

GD45ID

E8500

2 x 2GB Gskill ddr2-800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v (I know the system only runs 5-5-5 timings)

Hauppage Hvr2200

Silverstone Case and 300w fanless PSU.

So on first start, pre OS, I look through the bios and see the RAM is running at 667. Curiosity gets the better of me and I force the BIOS setting to 800 (YOU IDIOT!). Now the system doesn't boot. It just cycles on the POST, ie. turn the power on and the fans spin up for a few seconds then off, 3-4 seconds later the power and HDD leds flicker and the fans go again for a few seconds.... and again... and again.

So things tried to date:

- removing the bios jumper completely with .BIO in cd (no change in behaviour, doesn't even spin up the CD)

So any thoughts on where to head next (phrased politely of course) would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

I believe that in the BIOS screen there is a setting or maybe a function key press that will reset the BIOS settings to the factory defaults. This did not help me with my problem, and the board was sent to Intel warranty dept. I am waiting for a replacement now, but Intel service says they are out of stock. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

Quote:

Hi All,

So things tried to date:

I can confirm that removing the cmos battery for 10 secs does reset the bios.

I'm not sure the manual is right on the bios jumper (page 52). I think the pins are reversed, with 1 being on the left looking from the front. But since you tried all the configs, that isn't your problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeart /forum/post/14490757

Try this:

powercfg.exe -lastwake

It should report back to you what device woke the computer.

You rock!!
What an awesome little tool. It reported that the intel network adapter was waking the computer from sleep. I unticked the Wake from LAN options (there were two set, but I unchecked them both), and the computer now stays asleep! I will go back and investigate some more to optimize the settings, and report back. Thanks again for the tip.

Update: The two default checked items are "Wake on Directed Packet" and "Wake on Magic Packet". Looks like I can get by with only "Wake on Magic Packet" checked. The "Directed Packet" indicates the following:

Enables this device to bring the computer out of standby or hibernation when a packet is sent directly to the adapter.

For example, any attempt to remotely access files stored on the computer will wake it.

Perhaps there is always something "pinging" my computer, so it just wakes up? I'm just happy I got it working. This is a great site!

Oh, just curious if anybody has been able to get BIOS bootup to display on a HDCP TV/Projector? I have to plug in a CRT monitor to get into BIOS.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:

Hi All,

[skip]

So things tried to date:

Thanks in advance,

I have been struggling with it over the last weekend. All symptoms and corrections attempted are exactly as described.

My memory is Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 2x2G 5-5-5-18.

Tried different DDR2 800 Kingston RAM with same result.

Being unable to find a solution I exchanged the board since it was from local Fry's.

Unless somebody has more ideas, we may need to put a big warning regarding changing memory parameters on DG45ID.

Andrey

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14492139

Oh, just curious if anybody has been able to get BIOS bootup to display on a HDCP TV/Projector? I have to plug in a CRT monitor to get into BIOS.

My Pio PDP-5060HD is connected directly via HDMI.

All text mode stages of boot and BIOS screens are displayed as a smaller rectangle on the panel.

Andrey

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey /forum/post/14492721

My Pio PDP-5060HD is connected directly via HDMI.

All text mode stages of boot and BIOS screens are displayed as a smaller rectangle on the panel.

Andrey

Hmmm, you are connected directly to the TV? I'm going thru an AVR, so I have an HDMI Repeater situation. Perhaps it's an HDCP issue? I will try connecting directly to projector, and see if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm having a couple of strange issues with mine that I'm hoping won't require a warranty swap.

1. Whenever Windows triggers a restart, the system resets, and the machine hangs at the BIOS screen with 51 in the lower righthand corner. A power-cycle allows for a complete boot.

2. If I install my Pinnacle HDTV Tuner Card into the PCI slot, it hangs at that same spot.

I've tried two sets of RAM - one new and one pulled from my DP35DP. Same behavior is exhibited by both.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Andrey,

I had the same problem with an older C2D Intel mobo. I had everything installed, up & running & then got cocky with the memory timings. Three long days I've been trying to make it post. I did everything you did & more. I was devastated but early morning the fourth day it posted. I've never touched Intel mobo timings ever since

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
bondisdead,

Does your avr/tv support 640x480/800x600/1024x768 cause those are the resolutions I notice on my plasma when booting into Vista.

HDCP is only for protected content (blu-ray/hd-dvd) it won't affect the boot process/bios.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik /forum/post/14493073

Just was thinking on something... anyone tried hdmi - hdmi to receiver and DVI - HDMI to tv ?

Do you mean HDMI - DVI to tv as there shouldn't be any DVI receivers? Receivers are for audio & you can't pass audio through dvi.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey /forum/post/14492548

I have been struggling with it over the last weekend. All symptoms and corrections attempted are exactly as described.

My memory is Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 2x2G 5-5-5-18.

Tried different DDR2 800 Kingston RAM with same result.

Being unable to find a solution I exchanged the board since it was from local Fry's.

Unless somebody has more ideas, we may need to put a big warning regarding changing memory parameters on DG45ID.

Andrey

Tested at JEDEC standard latency settings (5-5-5-18) at 1.9V

It should work at the standard 1.8v the motherboard provides. If you can raise the voltage slightly, it would be a good thing.

401 - 420 of 2575 Posts