AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14492139

You rock!!
What an awesome little tool. It reported that the intel network adapter was waking the computer from sleep. I unticked the Wake from LAN options (there were two set, but I unchecked them both), and the computer now stays asleep! I will go back and investigate some more to optimize the settings, and report back. Thanks again for the tip.

Update: The two default checked items are "Wake on Directed Packet" and "Wake on Magic Packet". Looks like I can get by with only "Wake on Magic Packet" checked. The "Directed Packet" indicates the following:

Enables this device to bring the computer out of standby or hibernation when a packet is sent directly to the adapter.

For example, any attempt to remotely access files stored on the computer will wake it.

Perhaps there is always something "pinging" my computer, so it just wakes up? I'm just happy I got it working. This is a great site!

Oh, just curious if anybody has been able to get BIOS bootup to display on a HDCP TV/Projector? I have to plug in a CRT monitor to get into BIOS.

Hi Bondisdead,

I've been following your posts because my experiences with this MB are almost exactly the same as yours

Regarding the BIOS, I am connecting right now using a DVI to HDMI cable to my Westinghouse flat panel display. Exactly the same problem, no display of the BIOS or anything until I reach the Vista display screens.

I am going to pick up an HDMI-HDMI cable today to see if it makes any difference. I do know that my Westi LCD does display 640x480, 800x600 and all the standard display formats.

One other thing you might want to check out about the S3 standby issues, don't know if you are running VMC but if you are you might want to check out the MCE Standby tool at: http://slicksolutions.eu/

I'll let you know if I find out anything more about the BIOS display issue and ask you to do the same.

-Bob

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p /forum/post/14493117

Do you mean HDMI - DVI to tv as there shouldn't be any DVI receivers? Receivers are for audio & you can't pass audio through dvi.

That's the way I'm set up now (with denon avr). Works, except for HDCP as far as powerdvd/totalmedia are concerned, as expected due to the repeater bug. HDCP is flakey even without a repeater (doesn't seem to ever re-try handshaking; see my post in the gigabyte thread for gory details).

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14492139

Oh, just curious if anybody has been able to get BIOS bootup to display on a HDCP TV/Projector? I have to plug in a CRT monitor to get into BIOS.

Yes, works for me. HTPC's hdmi connected to DVI of plasma, or HTPC's hdmi to receiver's hdmi, receiver's hdmi to dvi of plasma. Both cases work in bios. I was a bit surprised as bios boot displays previously did not work for me with my geforce 8500gt.

My motherboard is the gigabyte's but I wouldn't think this would be board specific.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not to my knowledge. I'm guessing that was probably a typo or it will be released in a later FW revision. The Gigabyte and ASUS support it now though.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
An excerpt from Gary Key's update:

That's right, repeater mode is finally working. After a closer inspection of the display output, de-interlacing and post processing is now active. However, 1080P/24Hz playback support is still not working properly. Before getting too excited, this demo was presented with the new 15.11 drivers and a beta version of Corel WinDVD 9.0 Plus. The 15.11 driver set will be released this week, but we still do not have a firm release schedule from Corel, Cyberlink, or ArcSoft on patches to their BD capable products that feature full repeater and Intel Clear Video support.

@ Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3380

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebockelman /forum/post/14493521

Has anyone been able to change the RAM voltage, as the Intel Technical Product Specification indicates that we can do?

Yes, with the gigabyte g45 board but not with the intel g45 boards (see discussion a few pages back).

With my gigabyte motherboard, my crucial ballistix ddr2-800 memory would not POST at default voltage. Luckily I was able to pop in some less temperamental memory temporarily and bump the voltage to the EPP spec.. With the intel motherboard I would have been SOL. Here's the timing data from cpu-z for that memory in case anyone is interested
Code:
Code:
DIMM #1

General
Memory type             DDR2
Module format           Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID)       Crucial Technology (7F7F7F7F7F9BFFFF)
Size                    1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth           PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number             
Serial number           89024D03

Attributes
Number of banks         2
Data width              64 bits
Correction              None
Nominal Voltage         1.80 Volts
EPP                     yes (2 profiles)
XMP                     no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)         333     400     
CAS#                    4.0     5.0     
RAS# to CAS# delay      5       5       
RAS# Precharge          5       5       
TRAS                    15      18      
TRC                     20      23      

EPP profile 1 (full)
Voltage level           2.200 Volts
Address Command Rate    2T
Cycle time              2.500 ns (400.0 MHz)
tCL                     4.0 clocks
tRCD                    4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRP                     4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRAS                    12 clocks (30.00 ns)
tRC                     24 clocks (60.00 ns)
tWR                     6 clocks (15.00 ns)

EPP profile 2 (full)
Voltage level           2.200 Volts
Address Command Rate    2T
Cycle time              2.000 ns (500.0 MHz)
tCL                     5.0 clocks
tRCD                    5 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRP                     5 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRAS                    15 clocks (30.00 ns)
tRC                     30 clocks (60.00 ns)
tWR                     8 clocks (15.00 ns)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
it's interesting that you mention Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800.... mine wouldn't boot with them either, for some oddball reason, the Intel board picks the second entry in the SPD (800mhz) and I can't seem to figure out how to tell it to use the first (667 mhz) SPD entry.... luckily for me, I had a pair of Crucial Red Tracer 2gb modules on hand and the board is happy with them.... go figure!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/14493765

An excerpt from Gary Key's update:

That's right, repeater mode is finally working. After a closer inspection of the display output, de-interlacing and post processing is now active. However, 1080P/24Hz playback support is still not working properly. Before getting too excited, this demo was presented with the new 15.11 drivers and a beta version of Corel WinDVD 9.0 Plus. The 15.11 driver set will be released this week, but we still do not have a firm release schedule from Corel, Cyberlink, or ArcSoft on patches to their BD capable products that feature full repeater and Intel Clear Video support.

@ Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3380

Scott's a real stand-up guy, and very dedicated to getting this stuff to work. Wish I could have been at the presentation-- and glad repeater mode hope is on the horizon!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/14494298

Scott's a real stand-up guy, and very dedicated to getting this stuff to work. Wish I could have been at the presentation-- and glad repeater mode hope is on the horizon!

You should have gone: I assume San Fransisco is a lot more temperate than the Phoenix area at this time of year...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I was there for a day, but couldn't stay for the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/14494353

I was there for a day, but couldn't stay for the whole thing.

Did you think it was useful attending it?

I own a $200 7-year old AVR, so I don't have much of a direct interest in the MC LPCM over HDMI thing at the moment.

However, it is interesting from a technical/business aspect when you consider all the different companies and organizations that have to get involved. To make it work, hopefully eventually.

I have NO clue if any BestBuy sales person could explain this MC-LPCM over HDMI from a PC to an AVR to a TV coherently.

I remember how difficult it was to get any relatively coherent answers from AV sales-people when I was buying my Sony-Baloney RPTV HDTV with a !!!DVI-HDCP!!! input 4-5 years ago. They created so much uncertainty in mind that I contacted Silicon Image, who assured me that my video card and Sony would work together if they followed the standards.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/14494403

I have NO clue if any BestBuy sales person could explain this MC-LPCM over HDMI from a PC to an AVR to a TV coherently.

I remember how difficult it was to get any relatively coherent answers from AV sales-people when I was buying my Sony-Baloney RPTV HDTV with a !!!DVI-HDCP!!! input 4-5 years ago. They created so much uncertainty in mind that I contacted Silicon Image, who assured me that my video card and Sony would work together if they followed the standards.

Oh, in my experience they always have an answer, often even a coherent answer. The problem is that any relationship between that answer and reality is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwahatad /forum/post/14472647

I would have expected that also. After some additional testing it appears that the Multi-CH output from the PC is forced by the Sound configuration. When I set 7.1 speakers in the Control Panel, my AMP displays Multi-Input 7.1 in and stays that way regardless of the PCM format signal sent through it. The channels work OK apart from the curious fact that a 5.1 signal will output correctly to fronts, centre and sub as expected but the expected 'side' output is redirected to my twin rears and sides are inactive (which actually suits me for 5.1). If I change the (Vista Sound Panel) HDMI speaker layout to 5.1, my AMP displays Multi-In 5.1 (for all PCM signal sources) and rear channels output to my side speakers as expected.

If I change the player software to DTS/AC3 pass through, the AMP will switch to the correct DTS or DOLBY format and display the correct signal info.

This Vista behavior sucks, I have a 5.1 speaker setup, but I was hoping to feed my Integra receiver with a 7.1 signal and let it do the matrixing of the rear sound to my sides, because I don't trust Vista doing it correctly. But as you noted, for native 5.1 sources, the sides get sent to the rear. So instead, I set Vista to 5.1.

As for DTS/AC3, when playing ripped DVDs in VMC, I get the real DD/DTS bitstream going through HDMI no problem.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox /forum/post/14473588

I don't think so, I was just mentioning it here because we don't have a thread for it yet. How do you go about starting an *official* thread?

I actually would prefer that we have a single G45 motherboards' thread. These motherboards are so similar that most of the HDMI/audio/video/VMC/TMT/PDVD issues that we will encounter apply to all of them. I'd hate having to dig through 3-4 individual threads.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/14475549

I am now thoroughly confused.

I thought there was a repeater issue with the Intel chipset, whereby you cannot use an AVR in the middle between the source (the mobo) and the sink (the TV).

Are you all using AnyDVD to bypass this limitation or is it a non issue?

I use an AVR in between, and yes, I'm seeing the HDCP issue. I will have to use AnyDVD.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14494133

it's interesting that you mention Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800.... mine wouldn't boot with them either, for some oddball reason, the Intel board picks the second entry in the SPD (800mhz) and I can't seem to figure out how to tell it to use the first (667 mhz) SPD entry.... luckily for me, I had a pair of Crucial Red Tracer 2gb modules on hand and the board is happy with them.... go figure!

I'm in the process of installing Vista on my DG45ID as I type this, and mine came up just fine with a set of Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800, and they are running at 800. Go figure...

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 /forum/post/14477915

Before the crash , someone mentioned that they had problems with noise and this board. I'm also having this problem, with the EarthWatts 380 included with the Antec NSK2480 . It's not an annoyance when I'm actually using the system, but it can be rather distracting when the system comes on to perform scheduled tasks.

Can anyone recommend a quiet & efficient PSU that doesn't exhibit this problem?

I'm using the Zalman ZM500-HP
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?idx=195

It has a heat pipe for cooling, uses a large 120mm fan that sucks a lot of hot air out of your HTPC and it's dead quiet. Also, it's modular, so you wont have a gazillion cables that you dont need all over inside your case. I find that a modular PSU is really good idea in a small uATX HTPC case.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeart /forum/post/14490777

If I don't have a receiver that handles hdmi yet, will this board convert all the audio down to 5.1 or DD that my current receiver can handle? I'd like to get the HTPC up and running with my existing equipment as the funds don't support both a new HTPC and receiver.

thanks,

Yes, you can use the SPDIF or anaolg out and it will work.

421 - 440 of 2575 Posts