AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion /forum/post/14495439

Yes, you can use the SPDIF or anaolg out and it will work.

Is it possible to have all sound go out on SPDIF only and have analog be transcoded into DD 5.1 in realtime, in hardware? I know ffdshow can do it, not sure if these new 8ch audio chips can do it in hardware. Seems like a simple enough task

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I don't think it happens in hardware, in general. I think the transcode happens in SW unless you have DTSConnect or ... I'm forgetting what the Dolby version is called.

·
Registered
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p /forum/post/14493117

Do you mean HDMI - DVI to tv as there shouldn't be any DVI receivers? Receivers are for audio & you can't pass audio through dvi.

I mean HDMI out on mobo to receiver and DVI on mobo to TV

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p /forum/post/14493058

bondisdead,

Does your avr/tv support 640x480/800x600/1024x768 cause those are the resolutions I notice on my plasma when booting into Vista.

HDCP is only for protected content (blu-ray/hd-dvd) it won't affect the boot process/bios.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

I cannot imagine how my Onkyo 805 would not support those resolutions via HDMI pass-thru, but my Panasonic PT-AE1000U Projector supports "1080i, 720p, 1080p/60, 576p, 625i, 625p, 1125i", so I should be okay. Maybe I need to set an "auto" function on my projector to allow it to switch as needed. I'll have to play around some. Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, I just realized that I can't do 1080p/24, if that ever gets fixed for the MB. :-(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just in case anyone else has the same problem regarding BIOS screen not displaying.

My issue was caused by using DVI-HDMI cable with the video output of the computer using DVI and using HDMI into my monitor.

When I replaced the cable with an HDMI-HDMI cable the BIOS screen appears properly (as I recall it displays in 800x600 mode).

So I've used DVI-DVI which works properly, HDMI-HDMI works properly, but DVI-HDMI does not display BIOS screen.

Hope this helps someone,

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead /forum/post/14492139

Oh, just curious if anybody has been able to get BIOS bootup to display on a HDCP TV/Projector? I have to plug in a CRT monitor to get into BIOS.

I am able to get the BIOS bootup to show on a Samsung LE-40A656 thru HDMI-to-HDMI

I'm still not getting DXVA to work in MPC-HC
though the E8500 doesn't really need it.

DXVA works in Total Media Theatre. But when using the tmt codecs in mpc-hc it does nothing, still no dxva.

Hope this gets fixed in new drivers or something.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have just received this board today, and would like some help before I get started

1. I want to have the output display on DG45ID connected through a Onkyo 875 on HDMI, but don't want to turn it on each time, so I will use the DVI port directly to my 508XD.

Can someone provide links to the latest up to date drivers, since the official Intel page does not seem up to date and is there a problem with installing both HD sound drivers and analog drivers together, which I will use to get sound when running DVI to plasma?

2. Is lite the best setting in BIOS?

3. The 24p issue will affect regardless of the software Bly-ray player?

4. When the 24p will be fixed or when you update with firmware will things like color, brightness, contrast and so on be affected? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to have a professional calibrating my display, and he is also going to tweak these settings. If they will be changed when firmware updating, will I then be able to just write down the values, and afterwards change it back to the calibrated settings or will it go beyond that, so I have to calibrate again and start over?

5. Is there any possibilities on the DG45ID to make display profiles and shortcuts, so it's easy to switch profile when watching HD materiel?

6. When I install this motherboard I will reinstall my XP, but if I change CPU afterwards will there be any problems with drivers or does the CPU need drivers at all?

Hope someone can help, so I can get started

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur /forum/post/14498460

Have just received this board today, and would like some help before I get started

1. I want to have the output display on DG45ID connected through a Onkyo 875 on HDMI, but don't want to turn it on each time, so I will use the DVI port directly to my 508XD.

Can someone provide links to the latest up to date drivers, since the official Intel page does not seem up to date and is there a problem with installing both HD sound drivers and analog drivers together, which I will use to get sound when running DVI to plasma?

2. Is lite the best setting in BIOS?

3. The 24p issue will affect regardless of the software Bly-ray player?

4. When the 24p will be fixed or when you update with firmware will things like color, brightness, contrast and so on be affected? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to have a professional calibrating my display, and he is also going to tweak these settings. If they will be changed when firmware updating, will I then be able to just write down the values, and afterwards change it back to the calibrated settings or will it go beyond that, so I have to calibrate again and start over?

5. Is there any possibilities on the DG45ID to make display profiles and shortcuts, so it's easy to switch profile when watching HD materiel?

6. When I install this motherboard I will reinstall my XP, but if I change CPU afterwards will there be any problems with drivers or does the CPU need drivers at all?

Hope someone can help, so I can get started

1. The official Intel drivers seem to be up to date. It's what I use. I don't know if you can use both HDMI and analog audio. Well if you don't mind changing the audio defaults in the control panel depending if you use receiver or TV.

2. depends. I think you can just have anydvd installed and be done with it.

3. the 24p issues seems to be a function, at least in part, of the software player. None support it as far as I know.

4. No idea. I don't know that you need a professional to calibrate your display. It's easy enough to do yourself. It's not rocket science.

5. Don't know. Never found a need to do so.

6. You can swap out CPU's whenever you want without issue. Though with the HD offloading to the GPU I don't know that you'll ever need to upgrade the CPU.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/14493765

An excerpt from Gary Key's update:

That's right, repeater mode is finally working. After a closer inspection of the display output, de-interlacing and post processing is now active. @ Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3380

I was not sure about this motherboard because I watch lots of recorded 1080i content. Does the fact that de-interlacing and post processing are now working make this board good for 1080i content?

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv /forum/post/14498168

I am able to get the BIOS bootup to show on a Samsung LE-40A656 thru HDMI-to-HDMI

I'm still not getting DXVA to work in MPC-HC
though the E8500 doesn't really need it.

DXVA works in Total Media Theatre. But when using the tmt codecs in mpc-hc it does nothing, still no dxva.

Hope this gets fixed in new drivers or something.

It does not appear to be a driver issue. DXVA2 works fine in MPC-HC using the CyberLink decoder and EVR or EVR custom renderers. I usually use the CyberLink or ffmpeg (builtin) decoders without DXVA, though.

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14494133

it's interesting that you mention Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800.... mine wouldn't boot with them either, for some oddball reason, the Intel board picks the second entry in the SPD (800mhz) and I can't seem to figure out how to tell it to use the first (667 mhz) SPD entry.

Of course they *should* post at either SPD timings, just not either of the EPP timings without 2.2V.

For extra credit, I re-tested the memory with a P35 motherboard, and it did POST at 1.8v.

I asked crucial and they say they have a newer version of these DIMMs that run at lower voltage (2.0) that work better with problem motherboards. He also says they have tested with a G45 motherboard (didn't know which model). I've actually scheduled an RMA....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is the drivers below the newest and best to use for XP and should I use all of them?:

BIOS Update [IDG4510H.86A] (6930KB) v. 0077

Audio: IDT* 92xx Audio Driver (22751KB)

6033.2 v1.24 8/13/2008

Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (19736KB)

14.34.5.4973 8/10/2008

RAID: Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver (199KB)

8.5.0.1032 8/3/2008

LAN: Intel® PRO Network Connections Driver (107728KB)

13.1.1 7/30/2008

Intel® ME: Management Engine Interface Driver (1874KB)

5.0.0.1081 6/15/2008

Chipset: Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility for Intel® Desktop Boards (2455KB)

9.0.0.1009 6/12/2008

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
After much research and planning, I am now asssembling what is shaping up to be the perfect HTPC:

- Silverstone GD02

- Seasonic SS-350ET (+80, 99% Active PFC)

- Asus P5Q-EM

- Thermalright XP-120

- Arctic Fan 12 (PWM, liquid bearing, daisy-chained)

- E8400

- 2x2GB Crucial nonbuff/nonECC

- 1TB Seagate 'cuda 7200.11

What a beautiful sight it is! But a couple things bother me:

- The mobo's book says that POST only shows on the DVI-D, and not on VGA nor HDMI. It specifically says this is a DVI-D port and is not a DVI-I. I want to see POST on either the case's display or on the projector, so it sounds like I must get a DVI-HDMI adapter block?

- The CPU heatsink fits fine under the case's center support member, but I must do some trimming to get a 25mm fan in there. Is there any way this heatsink will suffice for the E8400 without a fan? It is positioned between 1" and 2" of the case exhaust fans horizontally (2 Arctic Fan 8's), which will pull air right over the heatpipes and from the inside-top of the case.

- The only optical drive this case will take is a slim one. No big deal, I don't need a BD writer right away, and can use my IDE DVD for now outside the case. I'm sure I can put a notebook drive in there as the market matures. But if I have to use a CPU fan there is only 145mm from the front of the case to the fan. Is this potentially enough room for an optical drive?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/14505920

After much research and planning, I am now asssembling what is shaping up to be the perfect HTPC:

- Silverstone GD02

- Seasonic SS-350ET (+80, 99% Active PFC)

- Asus P5Q-EM

- Thermalright XP-120

- Arctic Fan 12 (PWM, liquid bearing, daisy-chained)

- E8400

- 2x2GB Crucial nonbuff/nonECC

- 1TB Seagate 'cuda 7200.11

Great build Quantum. Love the case, but I have a few questions that I would like to sort of ask everyone.

First, why the E8400 processor and not the E8500? They are only about $20 more. Is there something special about the E8400 I'm not aware of?

Also, I am still shocked with the number of people using the ASUS P5Q-EM. Everything I read about the G45 chipset reflects poor picture quality with Blu Ray. Fortunately, the source with Blu Ray is so good this can probably be overlooked but where doubt really enters into for me is the ability for this setup to use SD DVD's with ffdshow effectively. I am sure with a dedicated video card and a different chipset on the mobo this setup would crush it but I just wonder here. Can anyone help confirm one way or the other?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Note from Arcsoft:

Originally posted by ArcSoft_Jason

Okay, since Intel spilled the beans I have permission to discuss it.

We have an internal version that resolves the repeater issue. I've personally tested our internal release on the G35. It basically works. There are some things that aren't quite perfect at the moment, but PC connected via HDMI to Onkyo then via HDMI to display does not have the HDCP error, and passes 7.1 audio channels when the Intel HDMI driver is selected and properly set up in Windows Vista and 7.1 is selected in TMT's audio options.

We'll be releasing it in the near future.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Everything I read about the G45 chipset reflects poor picture quality with Blu Ray.

I don't know where you saw that, but picture looks quite amazing to me

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14506753

I don't know where you saw that, but picture looks quite amazing to me

See the review below. There are quite a few others with similar results online. What particularly concerns me is the HQV (video) tests. They were extremely poor. I'm not nearly as concerned with Blu Ray since the source is so good but I just wonder about SD DVDs. I would ffdshow to clean them up as much as possible but it might not be enough.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2327138,00.asp

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP /forum/post/14506944

What particularly concerns me is the HQV (video) tests. They were extremely poor. I'm not nearly as concerned with Blu Ray since the source is so good but I just wonder about SD DVDs.

-Blu Rays are not interlaced so the tests are not relevant. The non-interlaced test is noise-reduction but I am sure if you want to you can do this or any other filters in software but it may not be hardware-accelerated. Software on G45 (just as on any other hardware) will decode video correctly; the HQV tests are designed to misleadingly suggest that there are platform differences in decoding compressed video.

-SD-DVDs are not HQV. You can do all sorts of post-processing in software.

441 - 460 of 2575 Posts