AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslg /forum/post/14515464

By Aaron Brezenski (Intel)

While I question the value of some of the HD HQV tests when evaluating Blu-ray (a topic for another time), they are in fact valid tests. My sources (I do have some-- really!) tell me that Intel's less than stellar scores are due to a player software issue: properly configured advanced de-interlacing will result in scores 20+ points higher. Still not perfect scores, but coming within the realm of workable, and my hope is that subsequent driver tweaks will improve this even further.

The rest here: http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2008/...ill-imperfect/

That's not hardware acceleration, that's HD post-processing.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
The G45 is really the perfect home theater chipset (at least until such time as it is superceded by one which can transmit Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA... that's a topic for another time)

Does this mean the G45 will never support bitstreaming of the new codecs?

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslg /forum/post/14515464

By Aaron Brezenski (Intel)

While I question the value of some of the HD HQV tests when evaluating Blu-ray (a topic for another time), they are in fact valid tests. My sources (I do have some-- really!) tell me that Intel's less than stellar scores are due to a player software issue: properly configured advanced de-interlacing will result in scores 20+ points higher. Still not perfect scores, but coming within the realm of workable, and my hope is that subsequent driver tweaks will improve this even further.

The rest here: http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2008/...ill-imperfect/

Hmm, pretty generous to interpret that as an acknowledgement of arcsoft working on a hardware acceleration fix for 60hz displays, to say the least. Maybe if we all cross our fingers... Looks like that blog post is all about the corner case of 24hz displays.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
I think Shuttle is coming out with a g45 based board in sept.

No Thanks !!!
Have you ever run one of their boxes? I had the G31 based HDMI-out box and was quite high on it until I realized that the bios's were all early-alpha quality... Ugh!!

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 /forum/post/14514103

Anyone have any problems with colored lines and the HDMI/DVI output @ 1920x1080p60/24 on this board? lengthy description here

If it's a board issue, I'm not sure why it would start happening now... I previously used this board successfully with a different TV. However, the timings could be different (the old TV supported 30i, 59p(?), and 60p; the new one supports 24p 30i, and 60p)

I think I've isolated the problem to the board. I only get the lines when using the DG45ID... I plugged in my old HD2400 and it had no problems (with the random color lines; it did keep my system from waking from standby, though, and it has problems with 1080i output and deinterlacing...) It even played back video at 24p...

I thought that it could be some weird cabling issue, since the HDMI ports on the new TV are farther away than the old TV's HDMI and DVI ports. But I've repositioned the cables & moved the PC a little closer to avoid any bends...

I just tried an old power supply and the problem went away.. (This power supply has the noise problem that I was able to fix with RMClock.) I'll need to buy a new quiet one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Has anyone been successful in outputting via HDMI to a receiver, and outputting from the receiver to a TV with a DVI (w/HDCP) input such as a CRT RPTV?

I detailed my efforts in post #472, just wondering if anyone else has had luck making it work.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14517899

No Thanks !!!
Have you ever run one of their boxes? I had the G31 based HDMI-out box and was quite high on it until I realized that the bios's were all early-alpha quality... Ugh!!

Thanks. Did'nt know that. Was thinking of getting their 8200, now I won't.

BTW does it matter, what intel processor is used to get 7.1 LPCM ? Atleast with geforce 8200, you had to have HT 3.0 ( only Phenom ) to get 7.1 over HDMI... Are there any such restrictions on this one..

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HELP!!! I was in the BIOS looking for the CIR Enable and while I was there I set the RAM from automatic to manual to see what options I had I guess I forgot to put it in automatic and saved and exited. From that point on the board will try and start the fans (CPU, Side, and Power) but quickly stops less than a couple of seconds. It keeps on trying to start over and over to no avail. Power and reset do nothing. I took the CMOS Battery out and unplugged power for over two hours and when I hooked it back up same result. The only thin I know I did was Enable CIR, and accidentally change automatic ram timings from 5, 5, 5, 15 to manual 3, 3, 3, 9. The only sign of life I get is when I take the RAM out and get Beep Code and Fans stay running. I don't remember if voltages changed from auto to manual. If it did from 1.8v to something way higher I might have killed the RAM. I dont have a BIOS to check though.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicHomeTech /forum/post/14528985

HELP!!! I was in the BIOS looking for the CIR Enable and while I was there I set the RAM from automatic to manual to see what options I had I guess I forgot to put it in automatic and saved and exited. From that point on the board will try and start the fans (CPU, Side, and Power) but quickly stops less than a couple of seconds. It keeps on trying to start over and over to no avail. Power and reset do nothing. I took the CMOS Battery out and unplugged power for over two hours and when I hooked it back up same result. The only thin I know I did was Enable CIR, and accidentally change automatic ram timings from 5, 5, 5, 15 to manual 3, 3, 3, 9. The only sign of life I get is when I take the RAM out and get Beep Code and Fans stay running. I don't remember if voltages changed from auto to manual. If it did from 1.8v to something way higher I might have killed the RAM. I dont have a BIOS to check though.

Terry,

See my message on this earlier in the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14492548

I had to exchange the board...

Good news it did not kill the memory in my case.

Archibael,

The issue is that system in this state is not even spinning disks for boot.

Aquaticnz,

Please update on your experience with this.

Regards,

Andrey

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc /forum/post/14514410

I've seen no reference to a g45 specific hardware acceleration fix, just a repeater fix. Do you have a pointer to an acknowledgement of a HW acceleration problem? As far as I can tell they think hardware acceleration is working. Also the SD problem applies to vmc&wmp before totalmedia is installed so waiting for arcsoft will not fix that

My DVI doesn't do 24hz itself; I need things to work at the less exotic 60hz (like it used to before I upgraded to a g45

I do not have a pointer, just an engineer's statement on it.
I have had SD problems in a few cases post installation of TMT, PDVD, and WDVD besides the WMP issue.

I have not had any playback issues at 60Hz with DVI, screen resolution problems, yes.

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 /forum/post/14531020

I do not have a pointer, just an engineer's statement on it.
I have had SD problems in a few cases post installation of TMT, PDVD, and WDVD besides the WMP issue.

I have not had any playback issues at 60Hz with DVI, screen resolution problems, yes.

The SD judder on 60hz displays occurs with wmp and vmc before installation of any 3rd party players. I posted a problem example over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14514268 .Disabling "Film Mode Detection" in the GMA driver fixes the SD judder. I posted the exact workaround last night over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14523618

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey /forum/post/14529855

Terry,

See my message on this earlier in the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14492548

I had to exchange the board...

Good news it did not kill the memory in my case.

Archibael,

The issue is that system in this state is not even spinning disks for boot.

Aquaticnz,

Please update on your experience with this.

Regards,

Andrey

That is exactly right There is no way for me to do any recovery as it will not stay running long enough to even POST.

After hearing your experience Andrey I immediately got another board overnighted to me. I will just RMA this one back. Thank you for you help

Thank you as well Archibael for taking the time to try and help.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I had the same problem with my DG45ID.... I removed the memory, the cmos battery and the power cord and left it overnight. In the morning, replaced ONLY the power cord.... it booted and beeped about no memory... installed ONE stick in the last socket and it booted telling me my battery was bad
... YMMV

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi you all, I have been reading this post from the beginning, this will be my second dedicated HTPC, the first one was on a mid tower, time to get something small. Any how, I just ordered the board tough I am still undecided which processor and memory should I order. What will be the lowest I should install having in mind this requirements:

Money is really tigh

I only have a DVD collection

Will install Bluray drive in the near future

No gaming

Will like to install DVB (Satellite card) in the future

Will upgrade Receiver to HDMI output eventually

Note: I can use Win XP Media Center or Vista Ultimate for OS

Thanks in advance

Luis

·
Registered
307 Posts
Couple of questions about the capabilities of this board.

I am wanting to use it on 2 TV's one main and other in room.

Can the board output on HDMI and on DVI simultaneously? Can the DVi output a YpbPr Component Video Signa (via DVI to component cable) ?

If so will the component output also be HD and will it pass HDCP?

Also can it output sound on the HDMI and to the rear analog outs simultaneously?

thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubama /forum/post/14537073

Hi you all, I have been reading this post from the beginning, this will be my second dedicated HTPC, the first one was on a mid tower, time to get something small. Any how, I just ordered the board tough I am still undecided which processor and memory should I order. What will be the lowest I should install having in mind this requirements:

Money is really tigh

I only have a DVD collection

Will install Bluray drive in the near future

No gaming

Will like to install DVB (Satellite card) in the future

Will upgrade Receiver to HDMI output eventually

Note: I can use Win XP Media Center or Vista Ultimate for OS

Thanks in advance

Luis

Get an E7200 precessor. They are cheap, efficient, and relatively powerful. As for RAM, the Intel board is picky about the "gaming" stuff, so any 667 or 800 "value" ram will do fine.

481 - 500 of 2575 Posts