AVS Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 4554 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have M2s and full Synthesis set up. Been to numerous CEDIAs. Heard just about everything.. Never heard anything better, the Wisdom Line Arrays are right there...
That’s great to hear. I debated the M2s vs the SCL2s and it was mixed recommendations from various people. Basically a tossup. My setup will have the SCL2s for LCR, 10 scl4s for the surrounds (maybe 8 depending on design), and 13 overhead SCL5s (I ordered forever ago but they redesigned). Cant wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
That’s great to hear. I debated the M2s vs the SCL2s and it was mixed recommendations from various people. Basically a tossup. My setup will have the SCL2s for LCR, 10 scl4s for the surrounds (maybe 8 depending on design), and 13 overhead SCL5s (I ordered forever ago but they redesigned). Cant wait.

That is going to be a totally awesome set-up. Way to go!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm building a new home theater and need advice on a few components... help!

We've selected the SDP-55 and will be running a 9.4.4 setup, with SCL-4s (LCR), Revel 893 (sides), and Revel C763L (heights).

A couple questions:
1. How beneficial would it be to add the SDEC-4500P equalizer? I'm still not really sure how much it helps overall, but the salesperson says it's pretty essential.
2. Does it make sense to go with 2x SDA-8300 for the amps? They're a bit pricey, but I'm told they're great and worth the spend.
3. We haven't picked the subwoofers yet. Do JBL subs work better with the other Synthesis components, or would any brand of quality subwoofer do as good a job?

I'm in a different state from where our house is being built, and the pandemic has made it tough to demo any of the gear locally... so any advice you can offer would be a huge help. Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts

We've selected the SDP-55 and will be running a 9.4.4 setup, with SCL-4s (LCR), Revel 893 (sides), and Revel C763L (heights).

A couple questions:
1. How beneficial would it be to add the SDEC-4500P equalizer? I'm still not really sure how much it helps overall, but the salesperson says it's pretty essential.
2. Does it make sense to go with 2x SDA-8300 for the amps? They're a bit pricey, but I'm told they're great and worth the spend.
3. We haven't picked the subwoofers yet. Do JBL subs work better with the other Synthesis components, or would any brand of quality subwoofer do as good a job?

I'm in a different state from where our house is being built, and the pandemic has made it tough to demo any of the gear locally... so any advice you can offer would be a huge help. Thanks!
The equalizer seems somewhat redundant when you're dealing with Dirac Live in the processor.
Did they mention why it's essential? Are they using it to cross the front LCR over to individual channel subwoofers or something like that? That's about the only reason I could see...

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

A couple questions:

In response to #3. I am a huge JBL fan overall and have a lot of their equipment. That being said, subwoofers is not their strong point from both a price and performance standpoint. I would at least look at JTR, Seaton, Deep sea sound, SVS, etc... Their is no synergy per se in picking a JBL subwoofer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree- I wouldn’t use JBL subs. most of the people I’ve seen (including me) with Synthesis speakers have been using Seaton subs. I use 4 F18s and have another 4 when I redo my theater.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In response to #3. I am a huge JBL fan overall and have a lot of their equipment. That being said, subwoofers is not their strong point from both a price and performance standpoint. I would at least look at JTR, Seaton, Deep sea sound, SVS, etc... Their is no synergy per se in picking a JBL subwoofer.
Thanks, I'll look into them. Are there any particular in-wall subwoofers that you might recommend? We're thinking of 2 in-walls and maybe 2 additional floor subs. Although from an aesthetic standpoint I would greatly prefer to do all four in-walls if they performed adequately.

For the two floor subs, my only option is to put them in the back corner of the room. Would that offer a performance boost over just going with 4 in-walls (SSW-3)?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Thanks, I'll look into them. Are there any particular in-wall subwoofers that you might recommend? We're thinking of 2 in-walls and maybe 2 additional floor subs. Although from an aesthetic standpoint I would greatly prefer to do all four in-walls if they performed adequately.

For the two floor subs, my only option is to put them in the back corner of the room. Would that offer a performance boost over just going with 4 in-walls (SSW-3)?
There are not many in-wall subwoofers on the market to be honest. They are kind of a niche product. In general, regular floor subwoofers will outperform in wall subwoofers. Much of that has to do with sheer volume of the enclosure and the limitation in driver size for in walls. In wall subwoofers that are trying to fit into standard size studs and have limited depth can only do so much. If you are strictly after performance, I would go regular floor subs all day.

·
Registered
320 Posts

What dimensions will you have for the inwalls? Depth and height. Also what would the location of inwalls be?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Re. SPL.. Most manufacturers provide sensitivity (SPL in dB/W/m or at 2.83 Vrms -- 1 W into 8 ohms) and max power rating. From there you can figure out the approximate SPL in your room at your listening difference. Very few provide max SPL at 1 m (none I can think of off-hand).

·
Registered
35 Posts
What dimensions will you have for the inwalls? Depth and height. Also what would the location of inwalls be?

The room is 16 x 23 x 10. As for depth in the walls, we can probably only fit something about 6 inches or less.

We still have some flex on where to place everything... the first thought was to do 2 subs on the front wall... and then the other two on the sides (or on the floor in the back corners of the room). But again, it's still pretty open right now and we have some freedom with where we put everything.

Let's figure a ~$10k budget for all of the subs combined. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The room is 16 x 23 x 10. As for depth in the walls, we can probably only fit something about 6 inches or less.

We still have some flex on where to place everything... the first thought was to do 2 subs on the front wall... and then the other two on the sides (or on the floor in the back corners of the room). But again, it's still pretty open right now and we have some freedom with where we put everything.

I won't recommend anything per se but give you an idea of how you can move up the latter in performance. I am leaving in walls out because so few people own them, there probably isn;'t much information out there about them and they won't touch any of the subs below in performance (and they are not meant to, they are meant for customers going after aesthetics and/or space limited reasons)

1)"good" - 2 or more SVS 16 ultra subs
2)"better" - 2 or more Seaton sound F18 subs
3)"best" - 2 or more JTR 4000 ULF

By the time you get to something like the JTR 4000 ULF....two of those would make your momma cry and let folks three houses down know you are watching a movie :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Reach out to Dgage @ Deep Sea Sound. He can talk to you about some in-wall subs. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts

PM sent

·
Registered
862 Posts
When it comes to in-wall subwoofers, there aren't that many options that would come close to matching the performance of the JBL Synthesis speakers.

JL Audio Fathom IWSv2-SYS-213 (2 pairs should do the trick, but very $$$$$)

James Loudspeaker M1040 In-wall subwoofer (2x 10" active woofers, 2x 10" passive radiators) 4 of these should also do the trick

·
Registered
35 Posts
The equalizer seems somewhat redundant when you're dealing with Dirac Live in the processor.
Did they mention why it's essential? Are they using it to cross the front LCR over to individual channel subwoofers or something like that? That's about the only reason I could see...
It was explained to me that the EQ would allow a JBL calibrator to come and do all the manual fine tuning to get things just right... and I'd then have a "Synthesis Certified" theater. Does that make any real difference, or is it just a bunch of hooey?

I'm not much of a tinkerer myself, and would prefer to just get things done once and then be done with it. I'm definitely in way over my head on all this stuff!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It was explained to me that the EQ would allow a JBL calibrator to come and do all the manual fine tuning to get things just right... and I'd then have a "Synthesis Certified" theater. Does that make any real difference, or is it just a bunch of hooey?

I'm not much of a tinkerer myself, and would prefer to just get things done once and then be done with it. I'm definitely in way over my head on all this stuff!
You need to have all JBL Synthesis products to get full certification. That means you need to use JBL subs and amps. It is not a bunch of hooey, there are only a few calibrators who are trained to do it. I don't think the Revel W893 and C763L will meet the requirement, and I question the use of Revel W893 to go with SCL-4, not a good choice IMO. There are new SCL series in wall and in ceiling speakers. The dealer you have chosen needs to explain things to you and help design your theater if you want it done right.

SCL-5 In-Ceiling Loudspeaker

The first dedicated SCL in-ceiling loudspeaker, the pioneering SCL-5 2-way loudspeaker system features the renowned JBL 2409H 1-inch compression driver tweeter and High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn assembly. The HDI horn is positioned at an angle on its baffle above the 7-inch black Advanced Aluminum Cone cast frame woofer with the woofer firing through an aperture that makes it virtually invisible acoustically to the compression driver and horn.This patented design delivers incredibly smooth off-axis response and is suitable for applications as far as 60-degrees off-axis – ideal for immersive audio systems. The revolutionary Cat Claw mounting system as well as gold-plated, spring-loaded binding post terminals enable quick and reliable installation. The system features magnetically-attached round and square grilles and will begin shipping in February 2021 at $2,000 each.

SCL-6 In-Wall Loudspeaker

The 2.5-way SCL-6 in-wall loudspeaker is a narrow footprint design with an on-axis horn suitable for LCR applications in small to medium systems or lower-level surround positions in larger systems. The SCL-6 features a patented 1-inch 2410H-2 compression driver tweeter, mated to a JBL patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn assembly and complemented with four 5.25-inch (130mm) black Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone, cast frame woofers. The patented Cat Claw mounting mechanism makes the speaker easy to install in combination with gold plated, spring-loaded binding posts. Designed to provide ultimate performance and the highest levels of dynamics from any in-wall loudspeaker, the SCL-6 discreetly integrates into any environment and décor and features a paintable zero-bezel, magnetically attached grille. The SCL-6 ships in February 2021 and retails at $1,500 each.

SCL-7 In-Wall Loudspeaker

The 2-way SCL-7 in-wall loudspeaker system is designed for off-axis listening as LCR, width and surround channels. The SCL-7 features the legendary 1-inch 2410H-2 compression driver tweeter, and patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn assembly, complemented with dual 5.25-inch (130mm) black Advanced Aluminum Matrix cones. As with the SCL-6, the patented Cat Claw mounting mechanism and gold plated spring-loaded binding posts allow for fast and easy installation. The SCL-6 ships in February 2021 and retails at $1,000 each.

SCL-8 In Ceiling Loudspeaker

A 2021 CES Innovations Award Honoree, the versatile SCL-8, 2-way in-ceiling loudspeaker system is designed for off-axis listening in an immersive audio system. Essentially a smaller version of the SCL-5, the SCL-8 features the same transducers as used in the SCL-6 and SCL-7, including a 5.25-inch Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone cast-frame woofer, and 1-inch 2410H-2 compression driver tweeter mated to an HDI™ horn assembly. The SCL-8 comes with paintable zero-bezel, magnetically attached round and square grilles and will be available in February 2021 at the retail price of $1,000 each.

The addition of these four new models along with the flagship SCL-1 and SSW-1 models also announced today expands the JBL Synthesis portfolio to a total of eight SCL models and four SSW models and offers dealers and installers an exceptional toolkit of loudspeaker solutions unmatched in features and performance. The SCL-1 and SSW-1 are tailored to large-scale and high-channel count systems in combination with the SDP-75 immersive surround processor and SDA amplifiers. The SCL-5 is a great match with the SCL-2, SCL-3, and SCL-4 loudspeakers for height channel installations. The SCL-6, SCL-7, and SCL-8 perfectly complement the SDP-55 16 channel immersive surround sound processor and the award-winning SDR-35 class G Immersive surround sound AVR as well as the SDA amplifiers for use in small to medium-size systems.

JBL Synthesis SCL-5-6-7-8.jpg

4481 - 4500 of 4554 Posts