AVS Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4554 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does any friend know that M2 and Salon2 are better as cinema LCR? Thank you
I debated M2 and Salon2 a year or so ago and bounced this question off multiple dealers.

At first my debate was M2 vs Salon2. Rex attached the detailed shootout they conducted- which is really great to have this. If I build a stereo 2 way system I am 1000 percent going to go Salon2. But Building a large home theater system becomes $$$ if you are trying to timbre match with Gems for surround. Plus they would likely not keep up with the dynamics of home theater vs M2 and its compression drivers. So I thought of going M2.

Then I looked at M2 vs Scl2. M2 is obviously a fantastic speaker. Those who have compared the two maybe feel the scl2 is a bit more spacious. couple dealers question the directivity of the M2 for my size room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you everyone, I just read the post of M2 VS Salon2. Almost one side is Salon2, so I am very confused. My audio-visual room is about 4370 cubic feet (length: 23 feet, width: 19 feet, height: 10 feet) , I am currently preparing: processor-SDP75, LCR-Salon2, M2 or SCL2 (I don’t know how to choose between the three, I need to take into account music), surround speakers-SCL4 or GEM2, sky speakers-SCL5, coming to AVS really made me learn It’s a lot, thank you again!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thank you everyone, I just read the post of M2 VS Salon2. Almost one side is Salon2, so I am very confused. My audio-visual room is about 4370 cubic feet (length: 23 feet, width: 19 feet, height: 10 feet) , I am currently preparing: processor-SDP75, LCR-Salon2, M2 or SCL2 (I don’t know how to choose between the three, I need to take into account music), surround speakers-SCL4 or GEM2, sky speakers-SCL5, coming to AVS really made me learn It’s a lot, thank you again!
If you are going with the SCL5 for Atmos (which is supposed to be much better than Revel's C763L, at least on paper), then I would just stick with SCL's all around (to be fair, I haven't looked at the M2 vs SCL2). My "home theater" is in an open living room space, so I went with Revel's Be line for my LCR. For a dedicated home theater, I'd be comparing JBL and JTR, depending on my budget at the time.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
JBL Synthesis site has been updated with all the new SCL speakers:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
JBL Synthesis site has been updated with all the new SCL speakers:

Thanks for the update

Some of them still have broken links, I don't know why I thought for some reason the SCL line had two in-ceiling models.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks for the update

Some of them still have broken links, I don't know why I thought for some reason the SCL line had two in-ceiling models.
They do have two ceiling speaker models. I don’t know why they both aren’t showing up.

The SCL-5 which will be the more expensive model better paired with the higher-end SCL models and the SCL-8 which will be less expensive and a better match with the lower-end SCL models and HDI series speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The main differences I saw when these were first announced was around which compression driver they used and whether they had box boxes or were open back.

1)SCL 6 throughSCL 8 use the 2410 compression driver and no back boxes.
2)SCL 2 through SCL 5 use 2409 compression driver and I think all have back boxes (not sure about the in ceilings) .
3)SCL 1 uses the 2430 compression driver.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I have seen the music performance PK between M2 and Salon2 before, and the conclusion is that Salon2 wins, I don’t know who will be stronger when the two are used in theater LCR?
I have roasted tweeters before, but I have never blown a compression driver.

Those who have compared the two maybe feel the scl2 is a bit more spacious. couple dealers question the directivity of the M2 for my size room.
The SCL2 is borrowing tech from the M2 so how is directivity different? I assume this comparison feedback came from John. Dealers promote what they sell the most of and what is in supply chain. - take it with a grain of salt The largest theater I know of on AVS use the M2, so directivity shouldn't have been an issue. The biggest negative the M2 has going for it is it's noisy amps which is a real pain.

HT of the Month: The Hahn Theater | AVS Forum

As far as stereo only, I own the Revel 228be. Kal Rubinson, who has trained ears and is a highly regarded reviewer, noted that he found the 228be and the Salon2 nearly indistinguishable. See post #5 on below link. Obviously the Salon2 has more output but their sonic signature and measurements appear to be very similar. The reason I mention that is because I also own the M2 and it is far superior to my ears than the 228be with music and movies. The M2 is always favored over the 228be to all who have listened to my systems. As an owner of both, I have no ax to grind for either. No, they aren't in the same room, its not double-blind, yada yada yada. Completely subjective opinion here. However, I know my speakers and listen to both enough to know the differences. I have always wondered about the infamous Salon2 shootout. The M2 is hands down the best speaker I have ever heard but I have no issues with the Salon2 being a better speaker. However, when I read guys like Kal's statements and being owner of both, it makes me suspect that either the M2 doesn't have its magic in mono like the test was performed or something was off. Once again, my subjective opinion and nothing more so take it with a grain of salt as well. I may just have "M2" compression driver ears and am part of a minority.

Revel F228Be, is it that far behind? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Reactions: mik2h

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The main differences I saw when these were first announced was around which compression driver they used and whether they had box boxes or were open back.

1)SCL 6 throughSCL 8 use the 2410 compression driver and no back boxes.
2)SCL 2 through SCL 5 use 2409 compression driver and I think all have back boxes (not sure about the in ceilings) .
3)SCL 1 uses the 2430 compression driver.
Would they all (timbre) match the M2/708/705's? it's a bit confusing with all those similar compression drivers :ROFLMAO:

Thinking about a future in-ceiling upgrade (in a couple of years or so). still happy with my 328c since 2019.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Would they all (timbre) match the M2/708/705's? it's a bit confusing with all those similar compression drivers :ROFLMAO:

Thinking about a future in-ceiling upgrade (in a couple of years or so). still happy with my 328c since 2019.
Yes, the whole idea/concept is for the entire JBL Synthesis SCL line to "timbre match" the JBL Professional line (M2, LSR 7 series). The different compression drivers allow for more (or less) SPL. The overall speaker designs have crossover and horn/waveguide designs that yield neutral on and off axis response, controlled dispersion and seamless transitions from high frequency to mid frequency drivers.

Directivity is different for each model and specs for horn dispersion patterns can be found on the websites (JBL Synthesis and JBL Professional).

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Sorry, but I love when companies say they timbre match their speakers across their portfolio. So you have $1K speaker in your line-up that sounds like your $30k speaker...I think I'll take the $1k speaker and spend the rest on an awesome vacation or a new car :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I am really liking everything about this whole lineup. My only question is about the pricing of the SCL-1 specifically, and what differentiates it from the much cheaper M2. They are dimensionally similar and share the same compression driver. Is there something about the dual 12" driver setup that makes the SCL-1 more suited to home theatre than the single 15" in the M2 (other than the obvious) that justifies the pricing delta?

I don't mind the existence of expensive speakers, and I'm not accusing JBL of trying to rip anyone off (I'm even fond of their outrageously priced flagship K2 and Everest speakers), it's just that the SCL-1 price point sort of sticks out from the rest of the SCL range.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I am really liking everything about this whole lineup. My only question is about the pricing of the SCL-1 specifically, and what differentiates it from the much cheaper M2. They are dimensionally similar and share the same compression driver. Is there something about the dual 12" driver setup that makes the SCL-1 more suited to home theatre than the single 15" in the M2 (other than the obvious) that justifies the pricing delta?

I don't mind the existence of expensive speakers, and I'm not accusing JBL of trying to rip anyone off (I'm even fond of their outrageously priced flagship K2 and Everest speakers), it's just that the SCL-1 price point sort of sticks out from the rest of the SCL range.
I'm going to try to get more info about the SCL-1 and the pricing. Two 12" woofers will handle more power and play louder than one 15" woofer. The SCL-1 is intended for larger rooms and seating distances where it can perform as well as the M2 in smaller rooms.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
This conversation reminds me: I'd love to see the current JBL engineering team's take on a "statement" speaker, a successor to the K2 / Everest models. Take what they've learned with the new driver developed for the M2, all the new waveguide technology, etc and wrap it all in a cost-is-no object cabinet for the deep-pocketed audiophile crowd.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
SCL-8 + SCL-5 have no back boxes, as per the images on the JBL website. will they be sold later on separately?

Don't think they are designed to play with an open back. maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
SCL-8 + SCL-5 have no back boxes, as per the images on the JBL website. will they be sold later on separately?

Don't think they are designed to play with an open back. maybe I am wrong.
It does look like they are meant to be open back for the SCL 5 and SCL 8. If you look at both on the Synthesis site, it states "Enclosure type: open back".

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I'm going to try to get more info about the SCL-1 and the pricing. Two 12" woofers will handle more power and play louder than one 15" woofer. The SCL-1 is intended for larger rooms and seating distances where it can perform as well as the M2 in smaller rooms.
From the press release "SCL-1 availability begins in March with a retail price of $15,000 each" Not for the faint at heart/wallet, but they do look like an incredible speaker.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
From the press release "SCL-1 availability begins in March with a retail price of $15,000 each" Not for the faint at heart/wallet, but they do look like an incredible speaker.
Re: pricing, I was referring to the questions asked about why it's $15K and M2 is $6K.

Info from our rep: The SCL-1 is replacing the K2 S9900 and those are $22,000 each.

The M2 is a JBL Professional product, built and priced for the pro audio market but is being used in the residential consumer market.

Besides the driver upgrade and passive crossovers, the SCL-1 is built even better than M2. Of course that's not to say the M2 is not extremely well built, however the SCL-1 is built with high end aesthetics, fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It does look like they are meant to be open back for the SCL 5 and SCL 8. If you look at both on the Synthesis site, it states "Enclosure type: open back".
Yeah saw that enclosure type part, it's kind of strange I guess.

Now I know what my next ceiling speaker (upgrade) is going to be!

Reactions: Frohlich
4521 - 4540 of 4554 Posts