AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 4815 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes,

I removed the back box and all wires are intact with good solders/connections, the sound appears to emanate from inside the metal housing on the back of the rectangular woofer. Any ideas? Or do I need to do further surgery on the driver itself?
Have you run sweeps in REW?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes, I removed the back box and all wires are intact with good solders/connections, the sound appears to emanate from inside the metal housing on the back of the rectangular woofer. Any ideas? Or do I need to do further surgery on the driver itself?
I don't have one here to look at and am not sure how the metal housing on the back of the rectangular woofer comes off. Don't break it and void the warranty! Call the dealer who sold it to you or contact Revel Customer Support. Post pics of it with the back box off if you can.

Telephone: 1.888.691.4171
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have one here to look at and am not sure how the metal housing on the back of the rectangular woofer comes off. Don't break it and void the warranty! Call the dealer who sold it to you or contact Revel Customer Support. Post pics of it with the back box off if you can.

Telephone: 1.888.691.4171
Email: [email protected]
Thanks for the info. Yes, I contacted the dealer already. Finally found the piece that is loose. Inside the rectangular woofer housing is the metallic piece circled in red, shifting the unit from right to left causes this piece to move about an inch inside the driver housing in any direction.
43217.png
43219.png
43220.png

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
That part appears to be an inductor, a component of the crossover network. If it's loose and flopping around and your other C763L's don't do the same thing, I'm concerned that it might not be secured properly - it might not be soldered to the circuit board. This is all guesswork, I don't know for sure. I think you should not do more troubleshooting and have it replaced (the entire C763L). The dealer should explain the problem to his rep, you should get a return authorization and a new unit sent to you.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Thanks guys. For surround use, are there any major reasons to go with the 708 over the 705?
Output would be the only reason. I have 705 for my Atmos and 708 for surrounds. I am actually ditching Atmos since most of the movies dont use it enough to justify the cost/equipment and moving my 705s to surrounds and selling my 708s.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Output would be the only reason. I have 705 for my Atmos and 708 for surrounds. I am actually ditching Atmos since most of the movies dont use it enough to justify the cost/equipment and moving my 705s to surrounds and selling my 708s.
Bad choice. I’ve found most every new release movie has Dolby Atmos. Moreover the few that don’t, do well with Atmos up mixing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Atmos is in it's infancy. Moving forward, it will be used a lot more and the material in the height channels will be more demanding. It's why JBL Synthesis developed the new SCL-5, an in-ceiling speaker that has a compression driver, can be crossed over at 80Hz and will play loud.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Atmos is in it's infancy. Moving forward, it will be used a lot more and the material in the height channels will be more demanding. It's why JBL Synthesis developed the new SCL-5, an in-ceiling speaker that has a compression driver, can be crossed over at 80Hz and will play loud.

We just need to get them to ship . I ordered mine in 2019 . I understand they are finally getting ready to ship- after getting delayed bc of redesign and then covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Bad choice. I’ve found most every new release movie has Dolby Atmos. Moreover the few that don’t, do well with Atmos up mixing.
What new release? You mean the double dips on 4k? Hollywood has been dead since Covid for the most part. The wiring is still in the ceiling, and I will put a mark that I will recognize on the sheetrock where the wiring is. I could always go back if they actually make decent strides forward with content.

I have heard the check is in the mail with Atmos for four years now. People need to turn off their bed channels and listen to what is actually in the height channels - it aint much. A few titles are are very well done. I can count those on one hand. I was a rabid supporter and early adopter but they just haven't done much - games and music included.

The SCS8 and SCS12 and their in-wall variants are already compression driver and play loud. I havent sold them yet; but I have a buyer. I am still on the fence , but I am leaning one direction pretty heavy to sell them.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts

Is there anything out there that would be comparable to the 708i, but wouldn't need tuning files uploaded into a amp or BSS box?
What are your fronts?

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
I am not familiar with those but they appear to be ribbon tweeters, yes? If so, why don't you look at something like GoldenEar, Ascend Sierra w/RAAL, or Philharmonic BMR?

4721 - 4740 of 4815 Posts