AVS Forum banner

22161 - 22180 of 40605 Posts

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
Can someone post some graphs of the 215s in or outside of room (both would be great I suppose lol). Or a link would be just as good.
I'll see about getting some measurements of Coach's 215s IN THE ROOM this weekend. If you want OUTSIDE of the room, you and 2 brawny friends will have to come down to East TN to help move them for measurements. You might as well have asked to move one of those heavy front-loading washers up and down the stairs. Those 215RTs are BEASTS. :D

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
My local theater has Dbox seating, its okay but honestly I'd probably find it somewhat annoying after a while. Would probably be more of a novelty thing.
My living room has SpeakerPower/LMS5400 seating. My wife and I think it is SUPER AWESOME. When I first fired them up I told her we could put rubber isolators under the couches if it was shaking too much. She looked at me with an evil look and said don't you dare. And when I added a Linkwitz Transform to extend the deep bass, she was pleased. :) We're really going to like it when I get a couple HS24s in the room.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Exactly.. Just answer the dam email for a possible customer.. Or maybe they don't deal with private consumers like us?

And about the Cats.. After hearing them at the Axpona. They are some incredible sounding speakers. I can't imagine how much peeps would jump on a passive version.. :)
Ha... They do installs in stadiums and other large big money venues. What's $8K to them in selling a pair of SH-50's? That said, I still think they should step their game up and try to answer every inquiry that comes their way in a timely fashion. I mean, hire a secretary to take a message and simply remind @Tom Danley, @Mike Hedden, @Ivan Beaver or any of their other tech/sales support to respond...

Can someone post some graphs of the 215s in or outside of room (both would be great I suppose lol). Or a link would be just as good.

I'm wanting louder speakers but they aren't rated any louder than my tiny 888s. That was surprising to me with the horn plus the vented 15s but guess the coax is still limited to that max spl range?
You want louder speakers than your Tripple 8's? Given your ample subwoofage, why not just spring for the higher sensitivity 212's? They will technically get louder than the 215RT's since you will be crossing them above XX hz.

That's one argument I had against the 215's and people purchasing them when they already had some serious woofage. Besides better pattern control from the larger horn, it appears to be that one would be giving up a few db's to the 212's for the full range capability that the 215RT's bring to the table.

Err go, it's my humble opinion that a 212HT LCR with dual OS subs would out perform the 215RT's when pushed to the ragged edge. How often that will ever happen using either configuration????...Well, I guess that just depends on who is giving the demo.

Of course this opinion is coming from a guy that has never heard the 215RT's, so take that for what it's worth.

You read my mind.. I want stronger 30-60 range. ****! Those of you that know my story, that's why I wanted to go OS in the first place.. But I'm not regretting the 4 S2's. They dig friggin deep. But can't imagine what 4 OS would do..lol
I'm pretty sure there were several people attempting to steer you to the OS direction from the very beginning for this exact reason. I Might have to dig back through the archives to find it.
:D

Just got through the JTR's website. Carp.. Those OS pros seem VERY interesting.. What I like about them too is that it's passive. Because no active will work for me anymore. I have only one more dedicated 20 in my next room over where the inukes will be. All of the circuits at my ht area are I'm use from the 4 S2's lol. And the price of the pros are not that bad too. I know Jeff does really good with multi purchase.. Hmmm.. :)
Since you have the hook up with someone willing to cut some wood for you, why not just build a few Othorns? 21" B&C driver in a tapped horn box should outperform the OS pro for just about the same cost if you acount for wood and finishing costs... The fact that @Ricci has called the Othorn his favorite sub speaks volumes about it's capability FWIW.

Would be SO serious!

Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Going to get to hear the 215s and the Seaton Catalysts this weekend. Should be fun as I have never heard either and will get to meet a couple of fellow AVS members.

So am I!!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Yes I know. Usually when working as a team on radio or video review style there is a lead and a support role. Both were trying to lead...But a $500,000 HT? I mean I am sure the JBL synthesis line are unreal but he doesn't even have a baffle wall or AT screen!!! I say Dlbeck's theater has some key features exampled this one should have with a price rage like that. But a 50k screen perhaps is the reason it's not a AT...
I agree. When they were explaining the theater I was thinking that for half a mil I would have gone a completely different direction. I do not know how much Dlbeck's theater costs, but I would take his theater over the one in the video.

My local theater has Dbox seating, its okay but honestly I'd probably find it somewhat annoying after a while. Would probably be more of a novelty thing.
I think that I would probably get sick of it after a while as well. Who knows though.

My living room has SpeakerPower/LMS5400 seating. My wife and I think it is SUPER AWESOME. When I first fired them up I told her we could put rubber isolators under the couches if it was shaking too much. She looked at me with an evil look and said don't you dare. And when I added an Linkwitz Transform to extend the deep base, she was pleased. :) We're really going to like it when I get a couple HS24s in the room.
Haha! Love this post.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Waiting on my t8's for the surrounds and then time to start tweaking. All you guys always talk about house curves and eq'ing this and that. Is there any one in Florida (preferably around tampa area or just south) that would help a fellow avs'er with this. My plan is to have Mark Seaton come and tune the room but not going to happen for a while.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Check out these HT chairs. Seriously never seen these before. From 7:05 to about 9:00 minute marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK-yVIl2bjU
I was completely happy with my Lane 103's until I seen those chairs :eek: That is Disney sh#* right there. The one thing that has me thinking is there an AT screen or is the center behind the screen? I have read that the center only behind the screen is the way to go?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Going to get to hear the 215s and the Seaton Catalysts this weekend. Should be fun as I have never heard either and will get to meet a couple of fellow AVS members. I am currently 110% happy with my 212s but ask me the same question in a week :eek::D:)

BTW, sitting here watching Joe Bassamara in Vienna blu ray for the first time. Pretty darn impressed..wish I didn't have it sitting in shrink wrap for the last three months. This one will make the rotation for sure.
Where you headed to. Mini GTG this weekend?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I was completely happy with my Lane 103's until I seen those chairs :eek: That is Disney sh#* right there. The one thing that has me thinking is there an AT screen or is the center behind the screen? I have read that the center only behind the screen is the way to go?

I don't think that's an AT screen. There is a speaker in the center showing in the video. And the L and R positions are room/screen dependent, a smaller screen would have the center only while a wider screen could call for all three to be behind the screen.

The chairs themselves I think are only part of the equation as the mounting deck is what makes them move.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I don't think that's an AT screen. There is a speaker in the center showing in the video. And the L and R positions are room/screen dependent, a smaller screen would have the center only while a wider screen could call for all three to be behind the screen.

The chairs themselves I think are only part of the equation as the mounting deck is what makes them move.
I went back and watched it again and it does look like the center is below the screen. Pretty interesting that the speakers are timbre matched below fixed screen. I believe that the only disadvantage of an AT screen is the speakers cannot be put out wider like we see in this theater. This is one nice thing about a 2:35:1 aspect ratio fixed. After looking at this I am going to try and get my center as high as I can as I am installing a fixed scope screen, I hope to have the PJ and screen installed by Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I went back and watched it again and it does look like the center is below the screen. Pretty interesting that the speakers are timbre matched below fixed screen. I believe that the only disadvantage of an AT screen is the speakers cannot be put out wider like we see in this theater. This is one nice thing about a 2:35:1 aspect ratio fixed. After looking at this I am going to try and get my center as high as I can as I am installing a fixed scope screen, I hope to have the PJ and screen installed by Wednesday.
The only disadvantages to AT screens are their gain, uniformity, spl loss, and surface texture. The speakers can be eq'd to sound the same as if the screen were not in place in most cases with good AT screens. The L and R placement can be anywhere the room needs them to be as long as the screen frame isn't in the way. They can be outside of the screen or behind the screen. My screen is 13' wide (scope) and all three speakers are behind it. My plans from Dennis E which had a smaller screen being used had the L and R outside of the screen but when I got the Sony 1100 pj which produced enough light for a much wider screen the L and R stayed in their respected locations per Dennis and ended up behind the screen. That was long winded but think made it a little more clear.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Dave I'm also just about ready to switch from a 120" diagonal 16:9 to a 125" 2.35:1 AT screen. After having awesome results with my Falcon screen I'll be sticking with them and also getting the masking panels to go along with it.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
believe that the only disadvantage of an AT screen is the speakers cannot be put out wider like we see in this theater.
An AT screen doesn't preclude one from putting the mains outside the picture area. However, it does let you go wider with the screen so that your speakers typically are still within the picture area. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
JTR Speakers will be in room 2016 at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver on October 10-12. Jeff will be bringing the 215RT's, an Orbit Shifter, and a few other speakers

Is anyone interested in a JTR GTG on Friday or Saturday evening?

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
No, D-Box adds to the immersion in the same way large displays and surround sound does. Also, quality home seating with recline adds much more to the experience vs the standard theaters seats.

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
Exactly.. Just answer the dam email for a possible customer.. Or maybe they don't deal with private consumers like us?

And about the Cats.. After hearing them at the Axpona. They are some incredible sounding speakers. I can't imagine how much peeps would jump on a passive version.. :)
I hate reading this about Danley as I'm nearing upgrading to some most likely. I hope to have better luck I guess lol. I do love my JTRs so guess can never throw out the idea of the 215s.
Emailing Danley directly is your first problem. They deal solely through regional representatives. I have had fantastic dialogue with my guy out of Charlotte as well as another gentleman that I believe does sales for the northeastern area. You want answers, price listing, order information, you gotta go through those guys. If you want specs or speaker parameters, just pm Ivan Beaver here. He sometimes takes a little while to get back to you, but he always has IME.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
No, D-Box adds to the immersion in the same way large displays and surround sound does. Also, quality home seating with recline adds much more to the experience vs the standard theaters seats.
I would say D-Box detracts from the immersion. At least in my experience. I found it to be very distracting and took away from the visual experience. It's not terrible if it's very subtle, but still a detriment IMO. If it's not subtle, then it can almost ruin the experience.

22161 - 22180 of 40605 Posts