AVS Forum banner

26241 - 26260 of 41937 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
So if I'm reading correctly, the 212 uses the BMS 4593ND. A quick look on google shows this is a $1000+ driver.

Seriously?? $1000+ for a tiny driver?? Is BMS gouging like crazy or something? Even a Scanspeak Revelator tweeter is only around $300 and they're used in many exotic speakers. This is not even made of exotic materials like diamond or beryllium. How can BMS justify charging this much money for a driver for a PA system???

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
So if I'm reading correctly, the 212 uses the BMS 4593ND. A quick look on google shows this is a $1000+ driver.

Seriously?? $1000+ for a tiny driver?? Is BMS gouging like crazy or something? Even a Scanspeak Revelator tweeter is only around $300 and they're used in many exotic speakers. This is not even made of exotic materials like diamond or beryllium. How can BMS justify charging this much money for a driver for a PA system???
It's not a tiny driver.. it's 2 compression drivers in one.. basically a coax that extends down to 450 hz (as designed) in the 212s and 350hz in the 215s. To be honest, I think this 'point source' that covers most of the vocal range is what gives the 212s it's magic in terms of the audiophile voices i like to listen to...

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts

And it's really closer to $700 is what I've heard mostly. But as CoolGeek stated, it is a coaxial compression driver (I thought 1.4" but could be 2"). I agree it is the magic of the 212 that allows it to be articulate, detailed, airy, while being capable of handling 2000+ watts and over 120db. It isn't for everyone, no speaker is, but it definitely is a special driver and the JTR 212 I own is definitely a special speaker in my opinion.

How does Mercedes justify their prices or Porsche? It isn't an every day item and doesn't have an every day price.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

This "tiny" driver weighs more than most Scanspeak woofer....different tools for different purposes.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
This "tiny" driver weighs more than most Scanspeak woofer....different tools for different purposes.
Note when I say this that I am not putting down the Scanspeak driver and only have to come think this way in the past year or so after purchasing my JTR speakers. When a "normal" speaker is driven hard, it often compresses and loses composure, the JTR does not have these limitations. I don't often push my system but when I do, it is nice to know I'm the limit as opposed to my speaker. After years of buying entry level tools, I also no longer buy entry level tools and I like being the limitation instead of my tools. As NWCgrad said, different tools from different purposes.

And even though we are mentioning that the JTR speakers are capable of crazy output, it is also capable of high fidelity at reasonable levels. I'd strongly suggest you listen to a set if you get a chance. I'm not saying they are the best speakers in the world as I haven't heard any speaker that I'd give that moniker too but they are really, really good. They are simultaneously cheap and expensive depending on your viewpoint but I'd put my JTR 212s up against any speaker at any budget. And I'm not trying to talk them up and say are the best thing ever, I'm not. But they are really good and that is what I'm trying to say. Would you like them? I have no idea but they are worth of a listen. But realize these aren't electrostatic speakers and won't sound the same. If you want a sound and output capability like that, then the JTR isn't the speaker for you. But if you don't like running into limits with your speakers, you owe it to yourself to listen to the JTR 212s with a solid sub system. Just sharing my informed and evolving opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I have not but I have been asked about new vs used. New ones are listed at $6900 for 3 plus shipping. Used ones are closer to $5000 plus shipping. No way the difference is that big if you're comparing new vs used.

Jeff said the midbass was flatter and I never was able to get a clear answer to what that actually means. I doubt you'd hear much of a difference although measurements might show an improvement.

My biggest concern with the new versions is the change in the horn and if that will affect the sonic signature of the 212 like the 215.

I look forward to someone giving us the real scoop though but I haven't seen anyone come on the boards and mention the 2015 version yet.

I wish I had the budget to buy three 215RM's for my room, but sadly my wife would kill me right now if I did something like that!...lol
With the current Canadian/US dollar exchange rate I'd be looking at around $11,500 for three of them after exchange rate and taxes and that wouldn't include shipping :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

As others have pointed out it's not a $1000, I think any of use could easily get them for $699ea. I know when I was considering building some speakers that's the price I was quoted on the 4593ND's. And I would have to believe that isn't the price Jeff pays for them either. As an OEM I'm sure he gets that at a discounted price too.

·
Banned
8,185 Posts
The rake is the house take of the pot. It's inly 4$ a pot. But that comes directly out of the pocket of he winning hand and you have no option

So women screw you and oh have no options haha

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
The rake is the house take of the pot. It's inly 4$ a pot. But that comes directly out of the pocket of he winning hand and you have no option

So women screw you and oh have no options haha
LOL, What sayin? I don't know, but there should be one. Was a great movie.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
I removed a video because it had language, I was quoting from it.
Thanks Reef for giving context to the seemingly random post. :). What movie was that from as I like those two actors?

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
You should, it is a great movie.
Not saying I wasn't going to watch it, I'm just not sure how I feel about streaming movies yet. I feel like I'm becoming a snob that every movie I watch has to be in 8K HiDef and 7.8.6 audio. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Note when I say this that I am not putting down the Scanspeak driver and only have to come think this way in the past year or so after purchasing my JTR speakers. When a "normal" speaker is driven hard, it often compresses and loses composure, the JTR does not have these limitations. I don't often push my system but when I do, it is nice to know I'm the limit as opposed to my speaker. After years of buying entry level tools, I also no longer buy entry level tools and I like being the limitation instead of my tools. As NWCgrad said, different tools from different purposes.

And even though we are mentioning that the JTR speakers are capable of crazy output, it is also capable of high fidelity at reasonable levels. I'd strongly suggest you listen to a set if you get a chance. I'm not saying they are the best speakers in the world as I haven't heard any speaker that I'd give that moniker too but they are really, really good. They are simultaneously cheap and expensive depending on your viewpoint but I'd put my JTR 212s up against any speaker at any budget. And I'm not trying to talk them up and say are the best thing ever, I'm not. But they are really good and that is what I'm trying to say. Would you like them? I have no idea but they are worth of a listen. But realize these aren't electrostatic speakers and won't sound the same. If you want a sound and output capability like that, then the JTR isn't the speaker for you. But if you don't like running into limits with your speakers, you owe it to yourself to listen to the JTR 212s with a solid sub system. Just sharing my informed and evolving opinion.
I'm just astounded that PA speakers, the ones we normally associate as loud but terrible sounding cheap speakers, would have drivers that cost so much more than normal speakers.

I'd definitely be interested in auditioning the 212 if I have a chance. Recently I've heard of some incredible sounding (sound signature wise) PA speakers that's really getting my attention to try a PA type speaker. If anyone in California is willing to give me an audition, please let me know. I'll bring beer!:D

26241 - 26260 of 41937 Posts