AVS Forum banner

26261 - 26280 of 41896 Posts

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
I'm just astounded that PA speakers, the ones we normally associate as loud but terrible sounding cheap speakers, would have drivers that cost so much more than normal speakers.

I'd definitely be interested in auditioning the 212 if I have a chance. Recently I've heard of some incredible sounding (sound signature wise) PA speakers that's really getting my attention to try a PA type speaker. If anyone in California is willing to give me an audition, please let me know. I'll bring beer!:D
Well that's you're first problem, calling these PA speakers. :) These are high efficiency speakers designed by a guy with a pro audio background but they aren't PA speakers. Now the JTR speakers are more industrial looking but the Seaton Catalyst 12 is a good looking speaker in the same vain. Now, if you want to call the Danley some people run in their home theater a PA speaker, well, you'd be correct. :)

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
I'm just astounded that PA speakers, the ones we normally associate as loud but terrible sounding cheap speakers, would have drivers that cost so much more than normal speakers.

I'd definitely be interested in auditioning the 212 if I have a chance. Recently I've heard of some incredible sounding (sound signature wise) PA speakers that's really getting my attention to try a PA type speaker. If anyone in California is willing to give me an audition, please let me know. I'll bring beer!:D
Oh yeah, what part of CA as there are JTR owners all over CA?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I see. So, it's not really an open to the public kind of thing just companies?
It's an industry show. About 120,000 come in and it's huge. You really need to plan your booth visits as it will burn up 3 days just wondering around. I bet you'd enjoy it but it can be a little overwhelming. Kinda like going to Nebraska furniture mart to just look around.

And the high end gear is not at the convention center.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well that's you're first problem, calling these PA speakers. :) These are high efficiency speakers designed by a guy with a pro audio background but they aren't PA speakers. Now the JTR speakers are more industrial looking but the Seaton Catalyst 12 is a good looking speaker in the same vain. Now, if you want to call the Danley some people run in their home theater a PA speaker, well, you'd be correct. :)
Oh yeah, what part of CA as there are JTR owners all over CA?
Hahaha. Why can Danley be called PA speakers, because they're used that way?

San Francisco or Palo Alto would be best.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
Hahaha. Why can Danley be called PA speakers, because they're used that way?

San Francisco or Palo Alto would be best.
Because a large piece of Danley's business is installing speakers to stadiums, raceways (auto and equestrian), and other large venues. And what would you call this speaker that is in Beast's basement theater? Sure looks like a PA style speaker to me but it is a real sweet speaker too. :D http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh50/

There are several that frequent this thread that are in that neck of the woods so you should be able to get a demo soon enough.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Not saying I wasn't going to watch it, I'm just not sure how I feel about streaming movies yet. I feel like I'm becoming a snob that every movie I watch has to be in 8K HiDef and 7.8.6 audio. :)
Oh yeah I am no different, however I find I am all about the sound, so that is why I buy most on blu ray, however a movie like Rounders I would watch on HBO or Stream. Even though it is a good movie, not much in the sound department and that movie has got to be pushing 15 years old now? I normally shut movies off on Showtime or HBO, Cinemax etc.. that I own on BR. I don't want to wear them out persay wasting my time watching on 1080i. I would rather watch them on bluray in the theater with great sound and a great picture. Yeah, we all got it :rolleyes:

I don't know if I would call the Noesis 212HT's PA speakers. Maybe I am wrong. I mean they are derived from from the pro audio world, but more geared toward home cinema and have been received for music. I am sure you would be presently surprised at how well the 212's sound.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I'm about to purchase jtr 212 LCR. I need to figure out my surrounds, rear and side and what I am going to use for atmos front and rear height speakers.

I can do 4 x slanted 8s but at 1K a pop, that's a tough pill. I would still need to figure out what Atmos/height speakers to use (lol, I don't even want to think about 8 x slanted 8s)

Any recommendations and ideas for surrounds??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm about to purchase jtr 212 LCR. I need to figure out my surrounds, rear and side and what I am going to use for atmos front and rear height speakers.

I can do 4 x slanted 8s but at 1K a pop, that's a tough pill. I would still need to figure out what Atmos/height speakers to use (lol, I don't even want to think about 8 x slanted 8s)

Thanks!

I just purchased 4 Slanted 8's and I understand your apprehension at 1k a pop but I wanted the same brand for all 7 speakers. Now I don't want to do that again for Atmos speakers but Jeff is designing some ceiling/in-ceiling speakers for this purpose and I (I think like others here) are waiting to see what he comes up with and how much they will be. Some folks here like stuff from Reaction Audio and diysoundgroup.com for surrounds. So you can check those out as well.....they are less expensive than JTR S8's.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I just purchased 4 Slanted 8's and I understand your apprehension at 1k a pop but I wanted the same brand for all 7 speakers. Now I don't want to do that again for Atmos speakers but Jeff is designing some ceiling/in-ceiling speakers for this purpose and I (I think like others here) are waiting to see what he comes up with and how much they will be. Some folks here like stuff from Reaction Audio and diysoundgroup.com for surrounds. So you can check those out as well.....they are less expensive than JTR S8's.

I found the Reaction Audio CX-8's worked great with my 228HT's, no issues at all using them as surrounds with JTR's.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
What about the JTR speakers is NOT a PA speaker?
A pro audio speaker is a PA speaker. These have pretty much every attribute of a pro audio, AKA PA speaker.

They are pro speaker heritage, that's where Jeff of JTR got his roots and experience - their default finish is a duratex/rhino liner like coating. They play to 130dB range, they handle 2,000 watts, they are exceptionally high sensitivity. They are huge and WAF is at the bottom of the build list while sound quality and massive capability is at the top. They must be used with a subwoofer. (outside of the RT series)

yeah....definitely PA heritage...definitely PA attributes.

And....there's not a thing wrong with that. They are darn good PA speakers, among the very best available --- they just happen to be to very excellent for home use too!
About the only reason you could say these aren't a PA speaker is because Jeff voices the residential line about 3dB down on the treble as compared to his pro line from what I understand --- because the extra treble is needed in auditoriums, but not in the home.

Call a spade a spade. Funny to see folk trying to duck the pro audio or PA label IMO. Not one thing wrong with these being spectacular PA speakers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What is the difference between the aluminum and wooden horn? In other words, why would a
Speaker manufacturer choose one over the other?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Thanks!

If you can assemble and paint a box, the DIY Sound Group has the Volt-8 kit in a slanted box. Comes to about $180 or so per speaker and keeps up with my JTR 228's at reference without breaking a sweat.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
What about the JTR speakers is NOT a PA speaker?
A pro audio speaker is a PA speaker. These have pretty much every attribute of a pro audio, AKA PA speaker.

They are pro speaker heritage, that's where Jeff of JTR got his roots and experience - their default finish is a duratex/rhino liner like coating. They play to 130dB range, they handle 2,000 watts, they are exceptionally high sensitivity. They are huge and WAF is at the bottom of the build list while sound quality and massive capability is at the top. They must be used with a subwoofer. (outside of the RT series)

yeah....definitely PA heritage...definitely PA attributes.

And....there's not a thing wrong with that. They are darn good PA speakers, among the very best available --- they just happen to be to very excellent for home use too!
About the only reason you could say these aren't a PA speaker is because Jeff voices the residential line about 3dB down on the treble as compared to his pro line from what I understand --- because the extra treble is needed in auditoriums, but not in the home.

Call a spade a spade. Funny to see folk trying to duck the pro audio or PA label IMO. Not one thing wrong with these being spectacular PA speakers.
I either disagree with you completely or agree with you completely. I haven't decided yet. :p

I'll edit to say I wasn't trying to hide the PA fact, I just honestly think of them as a home theater speaker with PA heritage. But you made a hell of an argument so I stand corrected that these are PA speakers. :D

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
What is the difference between the aluminum and wooden horn? In other words, why would a
Speaker manufacturer choose one over the other?
No clue why Jeff chose it but as a look, I think the wood looks cool and if the cabinet maker can do it, it's just the cost of wood and time to cut/shape. The aluminum horns are made by a different company so an extra cost. It depends on how quickly/easily they can make the wood horn to say whether it is more cost efficient than the aluminum horn.

I think only the speaker designer could explain their reasonings if it is only due to acoustical properties because you're also looking at a shape difference too.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you can assemble and paint a box, the DIY Sound Group has the Volt-8 kit in a slanted box. Comes to about $180 or so per speaker and keeps up with my JTR 228's at reference without breaking a sweat.
I certainly considered those prior to purchasing my slanted 8's but I wanted to stay JTR for all 7. Also, the Volts don't ever seem to be in stock lately.....not sure why. I just checked again and I see a Volt-6 offered now but it's not in stock either. I'm still considering these for my heights or the CX-8 from Reaction.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I consider the Nloesis 212HT to be home theater and the Noesis 3TX to be professional audio. Jeff does break his speakers into two different groups Professional & Home Theater.

26261 - 26280 of 41896 Posts