AVS Forum banner

26301 - 26320 of 40618 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Uh Uh... RMK's gonna make you spend tons of money...
I like to let the speakers do the ... err :confused: ... speaking ;)

It is an irrefutable fact that a direct listening experience is the best way to evaluate a loudspeaker. That is why I am happy to provide demos to interested strangers. I've received PM's from folks asking "how can you open your home to complete strangers?". I don't understand how some can be so into this hobby and yet not be open to such demonstrations. That is so much better than just providing a written opinion no matter how eloquently it is worded. I demo'd nearly all of the speakers I purchased prior to buying and feel a responsibility to provide same to those with a sincere interest. I have yet to have a bad experience in fact, I have met some great people as a result of these demos. As for the spending part, caveat emptor. :)

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I certainly considered those prior to purchasing my slanted 8's but I wanted to stay JTR for all 7. Also, the Volts don't ever seem to be in stock lately.....not sure why. I just checked again and I see a Volt-6 offered now but it's not in stock either. I'm still considering these for my heights or the CX-8 from Reaction.
Volt-8's are currently in stock and the new slant cabinet is available, too. Volt-10's were waiting on drivers from Parts Express. The drivers are back in stock at the end of last week so those kits should be available this week.

I don't think that the 6's have been put up for sale yet. When they are, however, they will go pretty quick.
I ordered the Volt-6's yesterday. Should be here this week.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Nice! Looks like they sold out in a day. I am reallt interested to see what people do with them. I'm also looking forward to your impressions and to see how well they go with your JTR's.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Nice! Looks like they sold out in a day. I am reallt interested to see what people do with them. I'm also looking forward to your impressions and to see how well they go with your JTR's.
While I've heard most of the JTR's (see below) and even had some in my room, I do not own any JTR's. I have GR-Research LS-6 line source speakers.

Noesis 212HT
Noesis 212HT-LP
Noesis 215RT
Captivator
Captivator S1
Captivator S2
Orbit Shifter LFU
Growler
Triple 8
Single 8
Slant 8
Single 8-LP

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
While I've heard most of the JTR's (see below) and even had some in my room, I do not own any JTR's. I have GR-Research LS-6 line source speakers.

Noesis 212HT

Noesis 212HT-LP

Noesis 215RT

Captivator

Captivator S1

Captivator S2

Orbit Shifter LFU

Growler

Triple 8

Single 8

Slant 8

Single 8-LP

How about a mini review next to each of those speakers?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts

Noesis 212HT
Noesis 212HT-LP
Noesis 215RT
Captivator
Captivator S1
Captivator S2
Orbit Shifter LFU
Growler
Triple 8
Single 8
Slant 8
Single 8-LP
Sorry, Dome, I actually knew that. FYI, looks like they are back up for sale, now.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
I see you are referring to the 212HT-LP. It's about time you got it right. :p
Wasn't in the plans or expectations when I bought the sealed 212s but I think in the long run it will give me gobs of midbass to dial in as I please. Looks like I'll be buying four JBL 2225 15" drivers from Beast and putting 2 15" on each side run by some DSonic power. I just hope I don't have any phase or cancellation issues due to the extra complexity.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Volt-8's are currently in stock and the new slant cabinet is available, too. Volt-10's were waiting on drivers from Parts Express. The drivers are back in stock at the end of last week so those kits should be available this week.

I just placed an order for a pair of Volt-6's to try them as heights. Of course I have no idea how to put these together but I guess I'll consider this my first journey down the DIY path.

Do they come with instructions or is it obvious how to put these together?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I just placed an order for a pair of Volt-6's to try them as heights. Of course I have no idea how to put these together but I guess I'll consider this my first journey down the DIY path.

Do they come with instructions or is it obvious how to put these together?
I think there are instructions. You have to solder all the crossover components together. The crossover board shows the layout to make it easier. For the cabinet, you just glue and clamp.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I think there are instructions. You have to solder all the crossover components together. The crossover board shows the layout to make it easier. For the cabinet, you just glue and clamp.

I don't think they come with instructions but I'm sure Erich will walk anyone through assembling the crossovers.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ahhhhh poopies......I don't have any soldering tools or clamps. Clamps I can handle but I have to clue how to solder. Guess I'd better figure that out before they arrive.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Ahhhhh poopies......I don't have any soldering tools or clamps. Clamps I can handle but I have to clue how to solder. Guess I'd better figure that out before they arrive.
I was in the same boat as you when I bought the overnight sensation kit. I had absolutely no experience in any of this. I learned how to solder and put together the crossover from youtube videos. It worked out great and was a lot of fun to do.

The soldering tool wasn't that expensive on Amazon and I got some cheap clamps from Harbor Freight and I was all set. Give it a try!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I was in the same boat as you when I bought the overnight sensation kit. I had absolutely no experience in any of this. I learned how to solder and put together the crossover from youtube videos. It worked out great and was a lot of fun to do.

The soldering tool wasn't that expensive on Amazon and I got some cheap clamps from Harbor Freight and I was all set. Give it a try!
Thanks hogues.....I'll attack this like I do any challenge.....cry like a girl for a little bit...realize no one is going to bail me out then get to it. I'll post pictures along the way for feedback and maybe help some other rookie in the future.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Thanks hogues.....I'll attack this like I do any challenge.....cry like a girl for a little bit...realize no one is going to bail me out then get to it. I'll post pictures along the way for feedback and maybe help some other rookie in the future.

It's like you were in the room with me when I started my project! Looking at the x-over diagram made me go crazy until one day it just made sense. The people in the DIY section are great and will be more than happy to help. Good luck and post a link to your build thread.

26301 - 26320 of 40618 Posts