AVS Forum banner

26481 - 26500 of 40609 Posts

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I don't know what bad sounds your talking about. But when I pushed them with out the HPF during those intense low frequency scene. I could here some kind of harsh vibration when those low notes are producing. I figured I was at the limits of the woofers. So when I added the HPF then all is good. Also with the HPF, I've pushed them right before clipping with a 3 db boost from 110 hz down. No noise, but wow, that's friggin loud. I already was at -2 just about the first clip light on the output start to light up on the pod imerge scene. With music, well I can pushed them to +8 without hurting my ears. Though music dependent. But, damn, these speakers can really be pushed yet so clean. Friggin amazing! Btw, on the input.. It seems I have it around 1-2 lights less then the output just by monitoring it through the Inuke DSP interface through the LT.
I see, so it sounds like the 215's can take more than the 12000 can dish out as long as the HPF is in place, which it should be with a ported sub.... errr... I mean speaker. :D

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I don't know what bad sounds your talking about. But when I pushed them with out the HPF during those intense low frequency scene. I could here some kind of harsh vibration when those low notes are producing. I figured I was at the limits of the woofers. So when I added the HPF then all is good. Also with the HPF, I've pushed them right before clipping with a 3 db boost from 110 hz down. No noise, but wow, that's friggin loud. I already was at -2 just about the first clip light on the output start to light up on the pod imerge scene. With music, well I can pushed them to +8 without hurting my ears. Though music dependent. But, damn, these speakers can really be pushed yet so clean. Friggin amazing! Btw, on the input.. It seems I have it around 1-2 lights less then the output just by monitoring it through the Inuke DSP interface through the LT.
I have a 200hz HP filter ( Linkwitz–Riley 24db/ocaive) and a 20hz LP Linkwitz–Riley 24db/octave on the LFE channels. I have not found the bottom yet but then, I'm really not looking for that benchmark. There is also a 6db boost at 20hz.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Inukes, Crown XLS, all is simply budget quality.
The DSP inside the Inukes is SO budget, compare its processing quality / sound to a Xilica / XTA or whatever and you will be amazed.

XTI on mid / high sounds just horrible in my opinion. I have seen a test it puts out substantially more power on low frequencies THAN on high frequencies !

I once compared a standard DBX Driverack PA to a standard Xilica, the Xilica on Bass sounded way better.
So yes, processing influences quality dramatically.

It would not even cross my mind to wire up my subs / speakers to a Behringer Inuke or whatever.
I use 3 step Class H, highest voltage on the rail is 180v, for LFE.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ha. Well I'll pick the JBL drivers up from Beast sometime in January and it will sit behind other projects so maybe Feb/Mar. :)

But simply, it won't compare to a full range 215. I'd use a ported enclosure for the JBL tuned to about 40/50 Hz and cross around 50/60. A pair sims to output 125+db above 50/60 with 400w but you'll obviously need some beefy subwooferage to keep up with the mains and midbasses. Since I'll have a pair of 24s and a pair of 18s, I've got that covered. So really a completely different focus but since I can't fit any refrigerators in my living room, it is exactly what I want and need. Obviously some really like a full range speaker and maybe if I had room I'd change my mind but i expect I'll be happy with the results once I get them dialed in.
Are you saying they won't keep up with the 215's under 50/60 or something else? Obviously the 215's reach much lower but as long as you've got capable subs, which it sounds like you do shouldn't it be pretty similar?

I ordered a couple ae td-18's to add to the party as well. I've got 4 UXL-18's in sealed boxes so far and planning on 4 more just for fun. I'm thinking by adding the td-18's in with a mini dsp as an active crossover it should deliver pretty close to full range. I'm really curious how it will all work out because I really don't have the room for the refrigerators either (as much as I'd really like to though!)

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
Are you saying they won't keep up with the 215's under 50/60 or something else? Obviously the 215's reach much lower but as long as you've got capable subs, which it sounds like you do shouldn't it be pretty similar?

I ordered a couple ae td-18's to add to the party as well. I've got 4 UXL-18's in sealed boxes so far and planning on 4 more just for fun. I'm thinking by adding the td-18's in with a mini dsp as an active crossover it should deliver pretty close to full range. I'm really curious how it will all work out because I really don't have the room for the refrigerators either (as much as I'd really like to though!)
We're on the same page but I consider this apples and oranges. One is a straight forward full range while my system will be a 3-way with mains(3-way there too), midbasses, and subs. Since I can't fit the 215RTs or even RMs, they aren't really an option, plus I like the upper end sound of my 212s better. Regarding output, my SYSTEM will have much greater output than the 215s but that really is like having a Lamborghini and never going above 80mph...the 215s would have more output than I would need so having more than that is just stupid...so I guess that means I'm stupid. :)

I think your system will be awesome and won't deliver close to full range, it will destroy it. :)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I really want to put my subs all on there own circuit to see if I have any power advantage. Problem is right now that the only way to get the humming to go is to have them all plugged into the same power strip

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I really want to put my subs all on there own circuit to see if I have any power advantage. Problem is right now that the only way to get the humming to go is to have them all plugged into the same power strip
I don't like using power strips or conditioners for my subs. Straight plug.. And you'll definately get a major power advantage with them on separate circuits.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
OK so if I have no hum when all are on the same power strip but I do when there all plugged into seperete circuits what does that suggested? How do I fix it?

Is the hum harmful?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It seems that everything works completely fine together until I plug in the I nuke. As long as I don't have that plugged in I'm 100% hum free on both fv15s.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The DSP inside the Inukes is SO budget, compare its processing quality / sound to a Xilica / XTA or whatever and you will be amazed.

XTI on mid / high sounds just horrible in my opinion. I have seen a test it puts out substantially more power on low frequencies THAN on high frequencies !

I once compared a standard DBX Driverack PA to a standard Xilica, the Xilica on Bass sounded way better.

It would not even cross my mind to wire up my subs / speakers to a Behringer Inuke or whatever.
Mate, do you know what confirmation bias is? Better look it up. ;)

*sighs, searches for thumbs down button, mutters, leaves thread...

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Mate, do you know what confirmation bias is? Better look it up. ;)
Yep. I was recently schooled in this phenomenon yet again. A friend and avs member were at my place last week messing with my system and we decided to compare FLAC to 320. I swore the difference was obvious. So much smoother and detailed with FLAC than 320. Back and forth over and over again with the same sections of songs the difference was so clear.

He thought so too.

Then we tried it blind.

We couldn't tell the difference. :eek:

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Code:

dejavu...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1165099-official-jtr-speaker-thread-518.html#post24295907

By the way. Notnyt measured the $20 Lepai 2020 t-amp we used in our blind test just a couple days back and said its a surprisingly decent little amp on the test bench with a flat fr and no trickery. It isn't a powerhouse, but kept within its means it measures and performs quite well. It's nice to see our experiences validated since we were surprised to discover the little t-amp measured and sounded identical to much more expensive Emotiva amps etc (amps as expensive as ~$1k) in blind testing using the instant switching capability.

I've heard people subjectively say the t-amps are easy to identify because they sound different and obviously don't have a flat frequency response, which they can just tell by listening. Well...... ours was flat, as measured separately by me, MrSmithers, and now by notnyt.

What that boils down to is no one wants to think a $20 amp could possibly sound as good as their amp that costs several hundred or more. So that attitude manifests itself, and you hear what you see and expect. The truth is you can't tell the difference if the amp is kept within its means, and 10 watts on something as efficient as the JTR or Klipsch that we tested with goes a long way (to uncomfortable volumes). Blind testing FTW.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yep. I was recently schooled in this phenomenon yet again. A friend and avs member were at my place last week messing with my system and we decided to compare FLAC to 320. I swore the difference was obvious. So much smoother and detailed with FLAC than 320. Back and forth over and over again with the same sections of songs the difference was so clear.

He thought so too.

Then we tried it blind.

We couldn't tell the difference. :eek:

I'm curious, did you guys compare noise floor between the two (noise floor is raise on compressed files)? I know you don't listen to much orchestra music so I doubt you did that comparison

I know that my busted up old ears can't tell a difference between them anymore.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I'm curious, did you guys compare noise floor between the two (noise floor is raise on compressed files)? I know you don't listen to much orchestra music so I doubt you did that comparison

I know that my busted up old ears can't tell a difference between them anymore.
No, and ha, you are right not too much orchestra music in here - although I will listen to some classical from time to time.

26481 - 26500 of 40609 Posts