OR

L - 212RT
C - 212HTR
R - 212RT
LSR - S8
RSR - S8
BSR - S8
BSR - S8

95% Movies/Game, with very little music.

Thinking I may actually go the 5.1 route (I don't really want speakers with stands, or putting holes in my walls), for now, and upgrade to 7.1 later on.

Thoughts?
What would work best with your room? Floor standing or wall-mounted surround speakers?
On mixing 212RTs and 212HTRs, it would be best to check with Jeff.

My honest suggestion is to work a larger scope AT screen into your plans sooner, maybe putting off some surrounds or extra subs, if needed for budget reasons. A larger scope AT screen would make such a big difference for both audio and video.

That way you can optimize your LCR without do-overs.

With one of those, you could do 212HTRs, 228HTRs, or S8s.
Check out Seymour XD screens.
They are pretty reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
What would work best with your room? Floor standing or wall-mounted surround speakers?

On mixing 212RTs and 212HTRs, it would be best to check with Jeff.

My honest suggestion is to work a larger scope AT screen into your plans sooner, maybe putting off some surrounds or extra subs, if needed for budget reasons. A larger scope AT screen would make such a big difference for both audio and video.

That way you can optimize your LCR without do-overs.

With one of those, you could do 212HTRs, 228HTRs, or S8s.

Check out Seymour XD screens.

They are pretty reasonably priced.

The one reason I’m holding off on the AT screen, is from my research there isn’t any projector that I’ve found so far that is suitable for gaming. If I’m wrong, that may change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
The one reason I’m holding off on the AT screen, is from my research there isn’t any projector that I’ve found so far that is suitable for gaming. If I’m wrong, that may change things.

The sony PJ's have a good gaming mode with quite good lag, and the newest two generations from JVC also have a new "Low latency" mode that can be engaged for gaming as well. Unless you are playing extremely competitive FPS games, you can now get the lag low enough that it is suitable for 95% of the gamers in general.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The sony PJ's have a good gaming mode with quite good lag, and the newest two generations from JVC also have a new "Low latency" mode that can be engaged for gaming as well. Unless you are playing extremely competitive FPS games, you can now get the lag low enough that it is suitable for 95% of the gamers in general.
Also, the immersiveness of games on a projector is awesome, especially with a great surround system.
DLP has a slight edge on low persistence, when matched with a low latency mode, but as beastaudio said, Sony and JVC low latency modes are good enough for most of us who aren't after every slight competitive edge.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

I’m certainly going to look into that. That would mean then I’d run an AT screen, and three 212TRs behind it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Also, the immersiveness of games on a projector is awesome, especially with a great surround system.

DLP has a slight edge on low persistence, when matched with a low latency mode, but as beastaudio said, Sony and JVC low latency modes are good enough for most of us who aren't after every slight competitive edge.

And I’m certainly not after that, at all. I know that when I explored the gaming forum here, it was said a few times that nothing projector wise has stood up to any display currently for gaming so far. That was a bit ago, though.

The completion date for the home is a ways off, but I’m discussing wiring with the LV guys now, and we have to have it all chosen and picked out ASAP.

Perhaps when the house is complete in the spring, something new will come along.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
And I’m certainly not after that, at all. I know that when I explored the gaming forum here, it was said a few times that nothing projector wise has stood up to any display currently for gaming so far. That was a bit ago, though.

The completion date for the home is a ways off, but I’m discussing wiring with the LV guys now, and we have to have it all chosen and picked out ASAP.

Perhaps when the house is complete in the spring, something new will come along.

There's no inherent disadvantage that a projector has vs a flat panel. There are only two issues: processing latency and display persistence. The processing latency depends on the electronics - whether there is a game mode and how low latency they got it to work. The persistence depends on the panel. DLP is zero persistence. LCD/LCOS varies, whether it's a flat panel or a projector. Many projectors are bad at this stuff, but if you are careful to get one that's good at it, it should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
There's no inherent disadvantage that a projector has vs a flat panel. There are only two issues: processing latency and display persistence. The processing latency depends on the electronics - whether there is a game mode and how low latency they got it to work. The persistence depends on the panel. DLP is zero persistence. LCD/LCOS varies, whether it's a flat panel or a projector. Many projectors are bad at this stuff, but if you are careful to get one that's good at it, it should be a non-issue.

Youch! Looking at some of those new JVCs, they’re pricey! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I’ve gotten my 212T pair set up in a limited setup for the meantime, which I know has numerous limitations.

Apple TV->Samsung LN32A330->Pioneer VSX-1017TXV->JTR 212T

I hadn’t used the 1017 straight to high efficiency speakers prior. I did have the 1017->Emotiva XPA-2->JTR 228HT prior to upgrading the receiver. I had not noticed any hiss with that setup but this is present with how I have them set up currently, although not noticeable if any media is playing.

I prefer extra bass/midbass. I haven’t measured the FR on these, but running direct (no adjustments/em at all) and they sound great and flat. I adjusted to have a slight bump in the bass and am floored. They simply sound amazing! I have loved my 228HT but it amazes me how great these JTRs are when you get rid of some of the size limitations. These are big speakers and certainly using that size to gain extension and still maintain the efficiency is awesome. I can’t even imagine how amazing the 215 would sound!

I listened to Frankenstein by Edgar Winter and it was extremely chilling to see what the 212T can do. Before I bought the 228HT, Jeff had demoed them with a captivator using this song. It has maintained as one of the most amazing demo sounds in my ears with the dynamics. Even using a not so great version of it that I had right now, it did not disappoint.

I am excited to get the rest of my gear here to hear them at their best. I know this is simply the lowest quality that I will ever experience out of them. Now back to some listening!

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
I’m certainly going to look into that. That would mean then I’d run an AT screen, and three 212TRs behind it.

This is one decision you will never regret. Coming from a guy that went from a 50" to a 110" to a 126" to a 138", Just skip all those other silly steps and go as big as you are comfortable. with. Getting the speakers behind a very large AT screen completely changes the experience. If you are only watching movies even 10% of the time, it will be worth it.

Retail is costly, but reach out to Mike Garrett here on AVS. You may be extremely surprised at the blowout prices they have right now on the current rs-x20 series of PJ's.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The Vivitek HK2299 is a DLP projector that is true 4K. For gaming, it should have a lower lag than the JVC's and is cheaper. There is a thread on the Vivetek and it received good comments from CEDIA. The downside is no horizontal lens shift.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Well I’ve gotten my 212T pair set up in a limited setup for the meantime, which I know has numerous limitations.

Apple TV->Samsung LN32A330->Pioneer VSX-1017TXV->JTR 212T

I hadn’t used the 1017 straight to high efficiency speakers prior. I did have the 1017->Emotiva XPA-2->JTR 228HT prior to upgrading the receiver. I had not noticed any hiss with that setup but this is present with how I have them set up currently, although not noticeable if any media is playing.

I prefer extra bass/midbass. I haven’t measured the FR on these, but running direct (no adjustments/em at all) and they sound great and flat. I adjusted to have a slight bump in the bass and am floored. They simply sound amazing! I have loved my 228HT but it amazes me how great these JTRs are when you get rid of some of the size limitations. These are big speakers and certainly using that size to gain extension and still maintain the efficiency is awesome. I can’t even imagine how amazing the 215 would sound!

I listened to Frankenstein by Edgar Winter and it was extremely chilling to see what the 212T can do. Before I bought the 228HT, Jeff had demoed them with a captivator using this song. It has maintained as one of the most amazing demo sounds in my ears with the dynamics. Even using a not so great version of it that I had right now, it did not disappoint.

I am excited to get the rest of my gear here to hear them at their best. I know this is simply the lowest quality that I will ever experience out of them. Now back to some listening!
Thank you for the great feedback. The Noesis 212T have to be one of the best values out there.

The compression drivers we use have a unique annular diaphragm that avoids the break up modes of typical dome compression drivers. The compression driver used in the Noesis 228HT, 212HT, 212T produces 113db with 1 watt vs typical compression driver's 108-109db/1w which greatly reduces distortion and provides an effortless sound.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Thank you for the great feedback. The Noesis 212T have to be one of the best values out there.

The compression drivers we use have a unique annular diaphragm that avoids the break up modes of typical dome compression drivers. The compression driver used in the Noesis 228HT, 212HT, 212T produces 113db with 1 watt vs typical compression driver's 108-109db/1w which greatly reduces distortion and provides an effortless sound.

Jeff,

Any comments on using a 212HTR as a center along with 212TR as a L and R?

Just curious on your thoughts.

·
Registered
818 Posts
One more shot... Anyone in the Syracuse/Central NY area with JTR speakers who wouldn't mind demoing them?

Thanks!

37861 - 37880 of 40609 Posts